Author Topic: Power Supply 240V to 120V  (Read 4817 times)

Offline redekTopic starter

• Contributor
Power Supply 240V to 120V
« on: May 25, 2010, 05:18:10 am »
I bought 2 Thurlby Thandar power supplies off ebay for cheap.  The only problem is that they are set up to run off 240V with a British plug and I live in the US.  The Instruction Manual gives clear modification instructions to change the voltage, which consists of changing a few wires around on the inside.  Since the plug and cord are integral to the power supply I have a few options for conversion.  Use a plug adapter from type G to type B, clip off the plug end and put on a type b plug, or replace the whole cord and plug.  Are their any better options?
Thanks

Offline Varal

• Contributor
Re: Power Supply 240V to 120V
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:57:04 am »
Well I personally would narrow my options to changing the whole cable or buying a plug adapter. Cutting the wire and replacing the plug may create unnecessary threat of electric shock or short-circuit plus it doesn't look pro ;) 

Offline squeezee

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:36:16 am »
If there aren't any clearance issues I'd suggest installing an IEC socket on the back panel.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 12:00:48 pm »
Well I personally would narrow my options to changing the whole cable or buying a plug adapter. Cutting the wire and replacing the plug may create unnecessary threat of electric shock or short-circuit plus it doesn't look pro ;) 

if done properly with a good quality plug there should be no issue

Offline allanw

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 12:06:47 pm »
I bought 2 Thurlby Thandar power supplies off ebay for cheap.  The only problem is that they are set up to run off 240V with a British plug and I live in the US.  The Instruction Manual gives clear modification instructions to change the voltage, which consists of changing a few wires around on the inside.  Since the plug and cord are integral to the power supply I have a few options for conversion.  Use a plug adapter from type G to type B, clip off the plug end and put on a type b plug, or replace the whole cord and plug.  Are their any better options?
Thanks

Did you buy from the seller that was selling the one, two, and three output versions at once? From topdogtest? I won the two output one, and haven't picked the package up yet. That's disappointing to hear that it'll require modification to get it to work here.

Offline redekTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 06:24:31 pm »
Did you buy from the seller that was selling the one, two, and three output versions at once? From topdogtest? I won the two output one, and haven't picked the package up yet. That's disappointing to hear that it'll require modification to get it to work here.
Yes.  They accidentally sent me the single output when I payed for the triple output.  Then told be to keep the one they accidentally sent since it wasn't worth sending back.  Here is the manual, the instructions are on page 7.  Fuses also need to be changed.  I was also thinking about using a voltage transformer, but that will cost more and not look as good.

Offline allanw

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 06:28:17 pm »
I just bought a $10 plug adapter from radio shack and I'll change the wiring.

alm

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 08:35:01 pm »
I'd just replace the line cord / plug (if you have a suitable plug, make sure that it's grounded if the original one was). Plug adapters mainly make sense with wall warts where you can't easily change the plug, in my opinion, although a plug adapter from China is probably cheaper than a plug. A voltage converter doesn't make sense if you can just change the transformer connections.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf