Author Topic: Using Blood Pressure Monitor with USB to DC Power Cable?  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Boris_yoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Using Blood Pressure Monitor with USB to DC Power Cable?
« on: November 27, 2021, 10:08:33 am »
Hello. I found USB Female to DC cable and it matched DC input on my blood pressure meter. However it requires 6V power while the most I can get is 5V. What would happen if I connected 5V DC cable to blood pressure meter?

Nothing mentioned on blood pressure monitor about amperes too... I have 5V, 5.1V 1A and 2A power wall chargers. I don't know if there are USB wall chargers that supply 6V. Maybe it is safer to order 6V DC cable power supply for my blood pressure meter?

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Using Blood Pressure Monitor with USB to DC Power Cable?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 10:26:49 am »
In general, it's a very bad idea to power medical devices from mains using a random wall adapter.

If anything goes wrong, it can electrocute the patient or the medical personnel handling the patient.  Use a rechargeable battery pack instead of an outlet power adapter, and charge the batteries only after you disconnect them.

Never connect to mains power outlet anything coming in direct contact with your body.
Never put mains powered wires in bed with you.  You can not know when something will fail.

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 01:11:26 pm »
Blood pressure meters are isolated by pneumatic tubes so using a standard USB power supply is perfectly fine.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 03:36:02 pm »
Never put mains powered wires in bed with you.  You can not know when something will fail.

Interesting because electric bed sheets are sold  these days. Kinda makes me worry to get one...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 03:37:50 pm »
I wonder which one is right for my blood pressure monitor. Without knowing its amperage I can't proceed.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 03:42:18 pm »
I wonder which one is right for my blood pressure monitor. Without knowing its amperage I can't proceed.
Neither. I'm almost certain that you want to buy a complete trash from China. Either junk PSU with barely any insulation between mains and low voltage side, or has recycled PCB from e-waste inside.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 07:38:36 am »
Neither. I'm almost certain that you want to buy a complete trash from China. Either junk PSU with barely any insulation between mains and low voltage side, or has recycled PCB from e-waste inside.

I don't think I can find non-Chinese-made adapter locally. I don't even know if there are brands that make reliable adapters. I remember my friend had adapter with multiple plugs and could also switch voltages on it but it sounds less reliable due to being more intricate.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 08:48:40 am »

I don't think I can find non-Chinese-made adapter locally. I don't even know if there are brands that make reliable adapters. I remember my friend had adapter with multiple plugs and could also switch voltages on it but it sounds less reliable due to being more intricate.
What do you think are you supposed to get for $3 including shipping?

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 12:55:27 pm »
Interesting because electric bed sheets are sold  these days. Kinda makes me worry to get one...
Some of them are low voltage for better safety. The ones that are direct mains powered would likely have built in GFCI nowadays.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf