General > General Technical Chat

Vaping Device Teardown, Battery Waste and YouTube Ad Suitability

<< < (5/6) > >>

hneve:
I've always been curious about the tech behind these gadgets but never delved deep. It's surprising to hear about the use of Li-Ion or Li-Po batteries in disposables; I would've guessed they'd opt for something less sophisticated given the single-use nature. Your teardown sounds like an eye-opener, especially with the sensor bit. It's a smart way to control usage, but yeah, the disposable aspect does raise questions about waste and environmental impact. As for YouTube's ad policies, they're pretty strict with anything that could be seen as promoting smoking or vaping, even if it's educational. It seems like a fine line between sharing information and unintentionally promoting use.

Regarding your point on safety and market distribution, it's a mixed bag. Some brands are diligent about safety and compliance, while others might skate by with minimal oversight, especially in less regulated markets. The use of high-performance batteries probably boils down to ensuring a consistent experience, even if it does seem like overkill for something you're just going to toss. For those looking at nicotine alternatives that might not involve as much tech or waste, you could buy zyn online. It's a different way to approach nicotine, without the complexities of vaping devices.

Andy Chee:

--- Quote from: hneve on February 08, 2024, 07:09:17 pm ---I've always been curious about the tech behind these gadgets but never delved deep. It's surprising to hear about the use of Li-Ion or Li-Po batteries in disposables; I would've guessed they'd opt for something less sophisticated given the single-use nature.

--- End quote ---
Economically speaking, it makes sense to utilise existing Li-ion battery production lines, rather than build a new factory for single-use vape batteries.

slybunda:
people are throwing these things away all the time. im going to collect them, the battery can be used in small projects.

RJSV:
   Ha, first thing that came to mind, was observing a guy that just exited from Calif. DMV
(Motor vehicles);  He must have been stressed, to the max, inside the place, literally PACKED to the gills with folks waiting for turn at counters with an agent.  The dude had the thing going on step #3 as he exited the place.   Hope that was only tobacco, there, as there are Cannabis extract vapes also.
   In California, some THC containing products are sold, and I've noticed that various underprivileged folks gravitate to the small shops, in order to make a living as employee...when perhaps some major conviction and lack of quality education precludes more formal work.   So they view that as an alternative work or business option.

Anyway, it certainly would make sense, to get collection of the used parts for re-extracting lithium, for one example.   In future years, many valuable minerals will, essentially be forced into modes of sales that ensure proper recycling...if not also proper waste isolation (and long-term storage.)

God help us, if somebody figures out a route for including Fentanyl as a potentially deadly ingredient, (if not already!).

SiliconWizard:

--- Quote from: Andy Chee on February 08, 2024, 07:34:17 pm ---
--- Quote from: hneve on February 08, 2024, 07:09:17 pm ---I've always been curious about the tech behind these gadgets but never delved deep. It's surprising to hear about the use of Li-Ion or Li-Po batteries in disposables; I would've guessed they'd opt for something less sophisticated given the single-use nature.

--- End quote ---
Economically speaking, it makes sense to utilise existing Li-ion battery production lines, rather than build a new factory for single-use vape batteries.

--- End quote ---

Yes, that is the reason. But that's of course unfortunate. The reason beyond cost is that of energy density. It's hard to find the same kind of energy density in a primary battery, at least with a chemistry that is safe and with a low cost.
Alkaline batteries would probably not cut it, or be much too heavy for the purpose for the required capacity. You'd need more like LiSOCI2 batteries or similar, but these are expensive and I'm not even sure you can find them in the required volume and weight with enough output power. So, in the end, the choice is quickly made.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version