Author Topic: "Veritasium" (YT) - "The Big Misconception About Electricity" ?  (Read 213204 times)

Offline lapi

• Contributor
Re: "Veritasium" (YT) - "The Big Misconception About Electricity" ?
« Reply #425 on: December 05, 2021, 12:27:58 pm »
A small calculation:

Let's consider the Veritasium's gedanken-experiment as a lossless transmission line.

The main transmission line is short (about 1 m long) so it will not significantly affect the transient of switching the light on.

The main transmission line has short-circuited twin line stubs of half a light second long. Let's take those to be lossless twin lines made of a pair of 1 mm diameter super conducting wires with 1 m spacing. Its specific capacintance is about 3.66 pF/m and inductance about 3.04 µH/m.

The circuit looks like:

The circuit contains both continuous transmission line circuit and one made of lumped elements in 100 RC pairs for each stub.

Simulation shows quite interesting behavior, when the resonance circuit begins settle. Each step is 1 s as expected of the geometry.

Even though there will be some current flowing immediately, it will take some time before the lamp is fully lit, and the turning on will exhibit interesting stepwise increase of the light intensity.

This stepwise behavior is seen also in some oscilloscope pictures above.

Offline adx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #426 on: December 05, 2021, 04:52:18 pm »
Oops getting late, partial reply for now...

...energy is force times distance, so if we differentiate energy with respect to distance, we get something force-like. ...

Sounds nice (and it is - well described by the way, I can understand it!), but there is something in that, as you hint at, which confuses me. Energy isn't force. Potential energy is. Energy is the integral of power. Power relates to time and distance (and velocity obviously). It's all consistent and obvious, but my mind feels like it is having to make a leap of faith somewhere. Could just be me.

...(indeed, over short time scales, nothing can due to skin effect)...

Ouch - is an example of something I knew to the point of second nature, but as soon as I start to reformulate my knowledge with an admittedly hackish dig into the physical nature of things, I completely miss it. Such is the mental disconnect. It may not alter the outcome awfully much (thin wire, fast pulse), but it shows the magnetic effects I was trying so hard to partially ignore, are crucial to the behaviour of the physical system. Depositing a patch of charge (and bringing one near), including how the shielding might work (thanks for the Debye pointer) is exactly what I was trying to consider.

Somewhere amidst the statistical mechanics article on Wikipedia by brain checked out. I was never destined to be a theoretical physicist (terrible at maths), but I like to think I've never had a serious problem understanding the concept of any system (even QED doesn't look toooo hard, I say very optimistically). But this 'field' just explodes, even if it were possible to understand it all - there's just so very much. And I'm probably (as in, obviously) too old.

My confusion, instilled from an early-ish age, is with the physical reality of charge, pressure, current, and energy. Poynting might agree that energy is a concept, not something that anyone can take a picture of (drawing a diagram is not the same as taking a photo). Similar for time, and pressure. Consider a pipe with water at 1000 psi in it, versus a cylindrical hole in an infinite solid made of the same thing: Despite the mechanical configuration of water being the same (compressed to the same degree), the former has potential energy, for the latter it has something that does not exist. The maths is the same, the model is correct, the concept exists the same in both cases, but a seemingly irrelevant change makes it physically implausible in one case.

Ah but does it, really?  A pipe at only 1000 PSI is a vacuum compared to deep underground.  Energy is relative!

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the infinite solid?  Mind, it's not perfectly rigid, the hole expands somewhat under internal pressure, tangentially stretching at the inner surface while radially compressing the surrounding material (how much, is given by the elastic modulus).  In terms of the pipe's stretchiness adding to the compressibility of the fluid and thus affecting wave velocity/impedance, the two situations will be different, but the latter will certainly not be the same as an ideal (truly incompressible, perfectly rigid) pipe, there will always be some effect.

Yes, I think I'm saying it does (make it physically implausible). The infinite solid does not permit a "deep underground" (being the point). Nor gravity.

The 1000 psi is absolute, otherwise it would be arbitrary. By that I mean the water is compressed away from its vacuum state, so would be possible for it to know that there is something going on: It would possible to build a vacuum in there (I think). It could be -1000 psi for that matter (well under its tensile strength), but is still a known configuration.

I thought about the various ways it could expand differently, but in this picture the pressure is set to that fixed amount and won't change. What is at the ends is deliberately undefined, which may make that difficult.

My intention is to break not so much relativity, but the ways conservation of energy are handled, specifically that if the energy can't go anywhere, then treating it as "potential" might break (or be unnecessary).

Some commenters (here or on YT - can't find now) have boiled the "energy flows outside the wires" down to nicely intuitive statements that basically go; the space between the conductors is where the potential difference exists, the conductors are where the charge carriers flow, so it has to be a combination of wire and space that "energy" traverses. (I was going to add the example of a PCB with power and ground planes, and say the only place you need go looking for power is in the gap - but that's kind of redundant.)

Except it's worse than that - a location for the potential difference isn't needed, nor its "field strength", it just has to exist. And that is clear from the language, the focus is on force and movement. No one seems to question why power in a chain drive flows "outside the chain" (which is the same kind of situation).

I'd go one step further though; and infer that because energy seems to take a path that occupies either all or no space, and seems to transmit as if there were nothing in its way, it seems not to flow in spacetime at all. There is just distance and time. Kind of like it goes in a straight line but without direction, and chooses where to go based on external constraints. Photons show this behaviour.

Well, hold on a moment.  Energy is certainly flowing in the chain -- it might not be obvious how much is there, from just looking at one side of the drive, but considering the complete chain, we can take its velocity (which will be, on average, equal for both up and down sides), and the total tension (i.e., the difference -- the total with respect to a consistent direction, as one side is pulling up, the other down), and there's the power.  Clearly the power is contained within the chain!

Or for a more mathematical treatment: say we slice the system in half, between pulleys.  One side of the chain flows into the cutting plane, the other side out.  Integrate the tension over the chain cross-section (well, it'll be pressure at this point), and multiply by velocity.  Now we don't need to look at chains or belts under tension, we can do it for any mass flow: the crack of a whip, or fluids in a pipe (or not, like a waterfall).  And, as long as our cutting surface is closed (an infinite plane can be seen as a facet of an infinite sphere, or we can make a smaller box around a source or load of interest), we'll always have the correct total; we'll never miss the return path of a hydraulic pump for example, or when fluid is spraying out onto the floor.  (Not that it's necessarily easy to account for such flows, like evaporation and ground-seepage of water in the environment -- just that, in principle, it will be in this way.)

And, voila, that's how you use a Gaussian surface, you look at the total flux in/out of the surface, and that corresponds to the total contained within.

Well, if we do the same thing with the circuit, we find a superposition of two things:
1. DC flow in the wire,
2. AC flow around the wire (and along its surface).

The Poynting vector is just the quantity we integrate when we want to find total power flow.  How it's distributed spatially, depends on which case we're checking; both are valid in general!

In my first post I also agree energy is flowing in the chain (in that case, a string). But then I don't. It is this latter case.

Without providing for the return force (which is in the axles etc, had to add a "kind of" to cater for that), the system can't function at DC. Power delivery is via transverse pressure (potential energy). But the integral you propose (over the chain cross section) misses this.

Integration is saying that we don’t know (or choose to ignore) the locations of the components of this flow, if over infinite distance along the potential gradient (1D) then this location is everywhere or nowhere if it misses it in a particular reference frame, or if 'heading off at the pass' over a smaller closed curve like a circle, then it's impossible to remove the return path (from having its specific location ignored).

Truncating (whatever the word is) this integral is a little synthetic, because integrating pressure*velocity at each location builds in an assumption that the contributions to total energy flow are coincident in this way (I know they are mathematically, but in principle the point of a closed integral is to avoid these exceptions). It can only ever show energy going through a point where there is flow in some reference frame, and if my claim is that a component of that energy can go elsewhere, then this can never falsify that claim (or principle). All it can do is show half the power flowing in the chain and half flowing in the structure (in my mind it was horizontal and bottom part loose). I guess I've never trusted mathematics. You differentiate energy to get potential, then integrate it again to get energy (or power) - what could go wrong?!

Anyway, I am trying (and failing) to stick solely to DC. I'm trying to pretend Maxwell's equations don't exist, which I was aware is a losing battle to start with. So my attempt to say energy flows outside the wires is purely this principle of pressure difference, and not what Maxwell and Poynting would say. I brush that aside in a "well they would say that, wouldn't they?" manner because it's a self-fulfilling prophecy (the theory provides an exact location for the energy flow) as the only reasonable solution.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #427 on: December 05, 2021, 05:01:56 pm »
Ah yes, that was quite a hasty analogy wasn't it, and not only that but tension isn't even a vector; it has direction, but it's more complicated than that, it's an aspect of the stress tensor.  Which is still a differential thing so needs to be integrated, but the value you get out the other side (and the operation to get it, i.e. what kind of integral) will be different.  If nothing else, I've proven that I'm no mechanical engineer, which is true enough. :-DD

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline adx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #428 on: December 06, 2021, 12:38:59 pm »
@adx - it took me a while to get past the 'electricity is like water in a pipe' concept. …

But what if I don't want to?!

Your post describes both electrical and hydraulic situations with wavefronts propagating along conductors using longitudinal forces and energy storage. The particles don't touch each other whether in a liquid or electron gas - force is transferred by electric charges of physical objects repelling. Energy gets from place to place in these circuits by flow being constrained at the sides, to stop it leaking from high to low pressure. This pressure difference is what drives the energy flow, it exists between the wires, a transverse field gradient can be calculated even if it doesn't exist. I'd argue that this is what (by definition) gives rise to the idea that the energy is in the field! It makes no difference whether it is hydraulic fluid in an excavator or the DC bus in an electric car, and many (or all?) of the medium frequency wave phenomena (like impedance) work the same. However few people are going to consider the gradient of the field potential in a digger (except someone designing a hydraulic manifold block).

I know what you mean though. The magnetic field is a different beast (things like skin effect that I missed, proximity effect in transformers sounds unlikely to transfer through to any hydraulic transformer analogue, and radiation through a vacuum).

I never liked the hydraulic analogy (am I supposed to say analoguey?) much because it is the opposite of what happens in electric motors - electric pressure transforms to rotational current, while electric current transforms to rotational pressure. It does seem to be an essential (auto-)teaching concept though, because they are physically kind of the same thing.

Offline adx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #429 on: December 06, 2021, 04:05:53 pm »
Ah yes, that was quite a hasty analogy wasn't it, and not only that but tension isn't even a vector; it has direction, but it's more complicated than that, it's an aspect of the stress tensor.  Which is still a differential thing so needs to be integrated, but the value you get out the other side (and the operation to get it, i.e. what kind of integral) will be different.  If nothing else, I've proven that I'm no mechanical engineer, which is true enough. :-DD

Tim

Oh yeah, I didn't think of that. I just assumed components normal to the surface, as you might have gathered from "pressure". Only need 50% to pass maths (not implying I did), so if it's that likely to work then it's good.

Speaking of which and to continue some of the earlier thread, I can't place the exact source of my discontent with uni. I'm in .nz - close to .au, well I don't want to admit that too loudly, still far enough away for a bit of culture shock. A lot of it will have just been me, which might not come as a great surprise. Apparently (they like to think, I like to agree) it has the best eng school in the country. It is a state one, I think all universities here are but I might be wrong. It was essentially free when I started.

The situation sounds very similar, if perhaps less variable. My lecturers were generally good and knew their stuff (apart from some shockers and no that wasn't a lab experiment), they would make at least some attempt to hint that proofs and such existed. But the curriculum and whole concept seemed to be stuffy and pastiche is the word I want to say. There is academic rigour and crisp professionalism (marketing words I've heard recently), and there's shoving a whole lot of stuff on a plate and saying "eat". I'm not saying it was the latter (well, some was), but some of the profs couldn’t tell the difference.

Exacerbated by this whole weird dichotomy of research + lecturing, it was some time before I realised it was even a thing. I guess it's fine if you're Feynman, you can strut in and do your thing, but some of my profs' research was really quite silly. So not only are you learning from someone with a silly area of expertise, but they then lecture you on something else they have even less hope of relating to.

Postgrad was night and day different, students and staff allowed to think and get on with it.

First proper job, even more of a change (for the better) learning-wise.

I have sat down for the odd bout of unqualified mechanical engineering - only results in cruel and exasperated looks. So no.

But it's a rare decade I use proper maths. Those neurons have not fired in a very long time. Might have even been their first!

Offline lapi

• Contributor
« Reply #430 on: December 06, 2021, 04:45:53 pm »
The stepwise build-up of the current in a short circuited power line, like seen in the simulation above, is well described in "High Voltage Engineering" by J Rohan Lucas, 2001, section 4.2.2.

Offline adx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #431 on: December 07, 2021, 03:38:55 am »
This forum has an emoji for flogging a dead horse, but I won't use it, because I suspect there's more to come (maybe not from me).

But as for the subject of the Veritasium video, I hacked up a simulation a few days ago (before lapi's, but following some of the discussions in this thread, so it's expected to all look the same), because Veritasium's setup looked all rather practical* and utilitarian to me as a way to transmit power to an ordinary mains light bulb. But it wouldn't simulate, floating nodes.

* Except the enormous contract to GE for the superconducting transmission lines which would make it uneconomic, and a pain for satellites, the tension on those lines (and all the refrigeration and radiation shielding equipment) would be enormous. Aliens would want to stand (or float) well clear.

Got it to simulate after a trip to the web, that's what R2 and R3 are for, otherwise it's identical to my first failure.

I made the assumption that Veritasium's use of a 12V battery was more as a visual prop to drive that bulb, so chose local mains voltage. Made it 240V DC RMS (a handy property of DC is that the RMS voltage equals the average which also equals the DC component). Might be a bit high because I was more assuming a 120V bulb. My first mains LED bulb is one of those horrible ones with just a string of LEDs and rectifier (flickery), which I modelled as a resistor driving a LED (0V forward voltage the default from the looks). That gives 7.2W at 120V, hence the practicality, and assumption that he bought one of those on the way to the shoot.

I knew I had seen transmission lines in LTspice somewhere in the components, so dragged a couple of those in. I guessed that Td means delay so added a few 0s to up from the default 50n (seconds, I assumed - spicey flavour is to leave units off). A handy property of a 1/2 light second distance, is that it gives a 1/2 second delay (give or take). 1k impedance from bdunham7's calc early on in this thread, seems reasonable for cables laid like that and ignoring the short distance they are near the earth / dielectric rocks (4 miles using the imperial Earth's curvature calculator I found first, but from memory it's up on a hill which makes that unbillable work). Oooh just spotted a problem with the contract with GE, mental note to tactfully raise the issue of having to go through the centre of the Earth at the next design review (more elegant than working out the orbital dynamics from the top of the hill, if it would even be stable). Plus what the point of having a light bulb down there is - at least check with the lighting designer they've ordered the correct colour match for 5000K. Sounds quite pleasant, apart from some details. Anyway, back to the job.

I've modelled the switch as the start of time, ignoring the effects of the big bang except for the existence of the universe.

I must have accidentally moved the ground reference to the LED while battling this simulation singularity (was originally on the -ve lead of the battery), handy when it started to run because n005 is to the left of R1, ie green trace is the voltage across the bulb. I somehow accidentally clicked on D1, left the trace up because it handily shows the bulb current on RHS.

And there you have it: Result as expected. Light lights instantly, at the correct wattage. Nice impedance match. There's a problem at 1 second with my assumption of 240V and a passive-ish unregulated bulb. I might suggest to GE to drop at least some of the superconductivity, might help offset their cost of that great big hole, and landscaping costs for the retaining wall.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #432 on: December 07, 2021, 04:18:23 am »
Ah yes, resistors for the ground reference, you must've had a singular matrix error?  (Or because of approximations, LTSpice may not tell you that and just grinds to a halt. Depends.)  Common mode impedance is specifically not modeled; the two ports are perfectly isolated.  So just tack one side of the far end to GND, no worries.  Or use the resistor, just as good.  ("Singular matrix" means it can't produce a solution, because there are ambiguous node(s) in the circuit.  So, the floating ends here would likely cause such an error.  The other classic cases are capacitors in series with no parallel resistance (DC of the middle node is otherwise undefined), or inductors in parallel with no series resistance (DC current between them is otherwise undefined).)

A PULSE source you may find more illustrative.  You can set this for a nice long pulse width so it acts like a unit step, and set the startup delay and risetime.

A DC source should work as well, with the initial conditions set to zero.

Tim
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 04:20:39 am by T3sl4co1l »
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline adx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #433 on: December 07, 2021, 02:26:06 pm »
Yes, singular matrix. I wondered why they don't just copy it then there'd be 2  :)

2 nodes floating but without the circuit simulating, I couldn't click on them to confirm so it was frustratingly Catch-22, and didn't have time to dig into LTspice and so on. I did suspect the tlines were isolated, and considered grounding them, but the prospect of shorting a 1 light-second length of superconducting cable at the far ends didn't fill me with confidence so I gave up before trying anything else. I did later see the coax with common mode .asc file, but yeah, lazy. Today I thought it might still be nice to have a result to post.

I use LTspice just enough to be able to remember how to do schematics without having to relearn, so it's fast. Protel and Altium also have very capable SPICE engines, not that they're used that often.

I did crack out a PWL source to make a 1ns risetime (100%) step at 10ns to check startup and provide a zoom screenshot for any doubters - ended up not posting it. Even with a lower timestep it was exactly the same as the DC source. Worth attaching now...

Offline rfeecs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #434 on: December 08, 2021, 06:08:24 pm »
ElectroBOOM has jumped on the bandwagon:

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #435 on: December 08, 2021, 07:53:57 pm »
ElectroBOOM has jumped on the bandwagon:

The key point to me mentioned here is the sleight of hand over the question itself: "the light has to turn on immediately when current passes though it". He doesn't say how much current.

So, irrespective of any matching, good, bad or indifferent, this remains a transmission line problem.

Without clarity from Derek, my take is that the vagueness is deliberate: thus, I take it to be a trick question. Kinda disappointed to be honest, especially as the etymology for "veritasium" is rooted in the latin word for "truth". The more I think about it, the more I['m coming the the conclusion that the original video was more about clicks and engagement than it was about truth.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 09:59:13 pm by Howardlong »

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #436 on: December 08, 2021, 09:34:38 pm »
I re-did the ladder line tests I ran a few days ago to demonstrate the ~80ps delay over the 24mm wire spacing.

I used the same probe to probe the "switch" (the scope's integrated TDR, cyan reference trace) and the bulb side (green trace) so as not to introduce skew.

The cyan trace was taken at 10mV/div and the green at 2mV/div, so there's significant attenuation before we approach DC steady state.

The yellow trace is the TDR trace which you can't get rid of without turning off the TDR: the TDR triggers the scope and turns on a long time before the displayed traces, it has to propagate through the cables to the DUT, note the trace delay of ~27ns.

I measured the time between the beginning of the two rising edges, at about the 10% level.

(The scope's pretty dusty: I had a ceiling collapse some months ago in the room adjacent to this, and it's still being repaired, so things get pretty dusty round these parts.)

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #437 on: December 09, 2021, 01:24:14 am »
Without clarity from Derek, my take is that the vagueness is deliberate: thus, I take it to be a trick question. Kinda disappointed to be honest, especially as the etymology for "veritasium" is rooted in the latin word for "truth". The more I think about it, the more I['m coming the the conclusion that the original video was more about clicks and engagement than it was about truth.

I have the exact same impression about Mehdi. He tried to capitalize on the sensational topic brought by Derek.

Derek managed to successfully dismiss the idea that currents and voltages carry energy. Currents and voltages are a consequence of the existence of the electromagnetic field, and that's what conveys energy.

The technicality brought by Mehdi about the leakage current to say Derek was wrong is simply ridiculous. It's obviously implicit that if there were some leakage current it would be considered negligible.

If we take into consideration the cosmic microwave background radiation, cosmic rays and many other emissions circuits are subject to for the sole reason they are in the universe, nothing is really turned off.

Mehdi's videos are a pure waste of time.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 01:36:49 am by bsfeechannel »

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #438 on: December 09, 2021, 01:54:53 am »
Derek managed to successfully dismiss the idea that currents and voltages carry energy. Currents and voltages are a consequence of the existence of the electromagnetic field, and that's what conveys energy.

You've stated that very poorly.  The magnetic fields are themselves a result of the movement of charges, including spin of course.  The existence of the electric field is a result of the distribution of charge.  I'm not sure what you mean by the 'electromagnetic field', but if you mean EM radiation, OK that's another layer and self-propagating, but still originates with moving charges.  It's not even a chicken/egg dilemma, the charges can be moving for any reason you like.  It can be a bag of protons on a hamster wheel.

Mehdi's videos are a pure waste of time.

Actually I think he did fairly well this time and I not an Electroboomer but I did watch it for once--it only had two "Ow my balls" moments.  He made a lot of the same observations as I did, but I haven't expounded here because there's not much point, IMO.  The basic premise is that the original video attacks a straw man 'big misconception' and depends on a trick question to demonstrate....something.  If you think leakage current is negligible, then I think it is fair to consider the current through a total of about 2kohms from a 12V battery as also 'negligible' when it come to lighting a light bulb such as the one he showed in the video.  And then there's the likely thousands or millions of volts you would actually pick up from wires that long hanging out in the solar wind.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #439 on: December 09, 2021, 02:55:36 am »
You've stated that very poorly.  The magnetic fields are themselves a result of the movement of charges, including spin of course.  The existence of the electric field is a result of the distribution of charge.  I'm not sure what you mean by the 'electromagnetic field', but if you mean EM radiation, OK that's another layer and self-propagating, but still originates with moving charges.  It's not even a chicken/egg dilemma, the charges can be moving for any reason you like.  It can be a bag of protons on a hamster wheel.

Fair enough. Fields are considered to be more fundamental than particles, at least in quantum mechanics. The electromagnetic field exists everywhere. In classical physics, we can say that the movement of charges produces a magnetic field. But what really happens is that the movement of charges disturbs the magnetic field, which is already there.

Actually I think he did fairly well this time and I not an Electroboomer but I did watch it for once--it only had two "Ow my balls" moments.  He made a lot of the same observations as I did, but I haven't expounded here because there's not much point, IMO.  The basic premise is that the original video attacks a straw man 'big misconception' and depends on a trick question to demonstrate....something.  If you think leakage current is negligible, then I think it is fair to consider the current through a total of about 2kohms from a 12V battery as also 'negligible' when it come to lighting a light bulb such as the one he showed in the video.  And then there's the likely thousands or millions of volts you would actually pick up from wires that long hanging out in the solar wind.

Derek's video is a thought experiment. Such considerations are not pertinent to the question.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #440 on: December 09, 2021, 03:26:56 am »
But what really happens...

There's no need to introduce Quantum Field Theory or Feynman diagrams into a situation that can be adequately modelled without them.  And even QFT isn't "what really happens", it is just the next layer down.  We never get to "what really happens".

As for the 'thought experiment', I agree with Mehdi that certain imprecisions and ambiguities were deliberately introduced to make it a trick question.  If you pick and choose which things you are going to consider and which you are going to ignore, you can arrive at any result you want.  In the actual world universe, you don't get to pick and choose.   

And in that direction, I'd give him credit for noticing, as I did, that the initial short spike in the simulations was due to the limitations of the transmission line model and a real transmission line wouldn't have that.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 03:32:39 am by bdunham7 »
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #441 on: December 09, 2021, 03:52:15 am »
But what really happens...

There's no need to introduce Quantum Field Theory or Feynman diagrams into a situation that can be adequately modelled without them.  And even QFT isn't "what really happens", it is just the next layer down.  We never get to "what really happens".

As for the 'thought experiment', I agree with Mehdi that certain imprecisions and ambiguities were deliberately introduced to make it a trick question.  If you pick and choose which things you are going to consider and which you are going to ignore, you can arrive at any result you want.  In the actual world universe, you don't get to pick and choose.   

OK. Alright. If you want to be anal, just change the question to "when will the energy provided by the closing of the switch first arrive at the lamp?"

Or if you really want to be nitpicking: "when will the energy provided by the closing of the switch start to arrive at the lamp?"

Doesn't change anything.

And in that direction, I'd give him credit for noticing, as I did, that the initial short spike in the simulations was due to the limitations of the transmission line model and a real transmission line wouldn't have that.

Fine. Mehdi showed that his modeling has limitations. Duh.  :-// Is Derek wrong because of that?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #442 on: December 09, 2021, 05:01:42 am »

You've stated that very poorly.  The magnetic fields are themselves a result of the movement of charges, including spin of course.  The existence of the electric field is a result of the distribution of charge.  I'm not sure what you mean by the 'electromagnetic field', but if you mean EM radiation, OK that's another layer and self-propagating, but still originates with moving charges.

Yes, I think it's all the moving charges, and everything else results from that.
But any way you look at it's it's still just an interpretation, we actually have no real definitive proof of how it actually all works.
Physicists can claim it's all Maxwell's and Poyntings all they want, and it's the best model we have, and it's 100% predictive, but it's untimately just a model.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #443 on: December 09, 2021, 05:03:22 am »
The technicality brought by Mehdi about the leakage current to say Derek was wrong is simply ridiculous. It's obviously implicit that if there were some leakage current it would be considered negligible.

But that's the point of it all.
Derek's question and answer were obviosuly a troll, so Medhi successfully trolled back.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #444 on: December 09, 2021, 05:05:46 am »

You don't have to guess at that, Derek himself did an entire video saying that going forward his videos were going to be optimised for viral views and clicks. He succeeded, he knew very well this would bring an avalance of responses from engineers. You can almost see the joy on his face as the professors told him he would get called out on it.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #445 on: December 09, 2021, 05:34:16 am »
Or if you really want to be nitpicking: "when will the energy provided by the closing of the switch start to arrive at the lamp?"

But asking the question that way would make it obvious to even the slower viewers that there would be a near-instantaneous effect, whether you model it a an antenna, transmission line or a something not fully understood.

:-// Is Derek wrong because of that?

Yes.  "Demonstrating" a theoretical concept with an example that cannot be modelled--requires conditions that cannot exist and neglecting factors that would swamp the claimed effect in the real world--is just showmanship, not education.  I've said in other discussions that there is absolutely no need to teach electronics at any level with exemplar circuits that do not work properly, or would be totally impractical, because it is always feasible--and better in the long run--to do a bit of extra work and provide a realistic, practical example.  The same goes for this case.  He creates a false dichotomy--false because power actually won't get from the generating plant to your house if the electrons don't actually move in the wires and that motion is inextricably connected to the fields involved--and then 'proves' it with a non-falsifiable 'experiment' where he visually misrepresents what he is saying and demands physically impossible conditions to boot.  Will the exact light bulb he uses in the video light in the manner he shows in that video with a current of 6 milliamperes or less?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #446 on: December 09, 2021, 06:40:20 am »
  :-// Is Derek wrong because of that?

Yes.  "Demonstrating" a theoretical concept with an example that cannot be modelled--requires conditions that cannot exist and neglecting factors that would swamp the claimed effect in the real world--is just showmanship, not education.

Based on the title, I'd argue that's he's still "right".
The video is fundamentally about the misconception that energy flows in wires, and he did a fairly decent job of explaining why that's not the case.
The question is simply a trick question part to the video designed to elicit a response.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #447 on: December 09, 2021, 06:58:12 am »
So if energy flows not in wires but near the surface, then if we take a fairly large sheet of copper, ground it, drill a hole in the center with the hole diameter being very close to the wire diameter,  and run the wire thru the hole, then we will block the flow of energy (assuming the hole walls are so close to the wire surface but not touching it ) along the wire surface , and therefore when we close the switch the load will not get any energy in DC steady state because no electromagnetic field can break through the shield . I do not think anyone here would believe that at DC no energy will flow into the load in this experiment. Therefore the claim that energy flows not in wires is bogus.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #448 on: December 09, 2021, 08:10:46 am »
Electricity is a sneaky thing. It will be flowing as a field around the wire, but as soon as it meets the copper plate, it will get into the wire. As soon as it has cleared the copper plate it will resume flowing as the field around the wire. You cannot fool electricity.  :P

Edit: Fixed typo.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 09:16:05 am by Kalvin »

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #449 on: December 09, 2021, 08:39:01 am »
Electricity is a sneaky thing. I will be flowing as a field around the wire, but as soon as it meets the copper plate, it will get into the wire. As soon as it has cleared the copper plate it will resume flowing as the field around the wire. You cannot fool electricity.  :P
A field enters a wire only when the wire is resistive. When a field enters such a wire it creates heat in the wire.
Provided the wire is "superconductive" the DC will flow regardless the "epsilon" distance to the sheet, imho.
The "field" does not care on the distance to the copper sheet, "field" is just a "concept".
Some quantum tunneling may appear, however.
Moreover, for such an experiment you would need the copper sheet as large as our Universe, 2 holes, and most probably you will encounter problems with the "grounding" of the copper sheet :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 08:40:47 am by imo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf