Author Topic: Vimeo vs YouTube - "Ads against No Ads" War?  (Read 9868 times)

Offline ZuccaTopic starter

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Vimeo vs YouTube - "Ads against No Ads" War?
« on: March 10, 2015, 04:51:07 pm »
Dear EE Folks,

Just searched "Vimeo" here and the EEVBlog and found nothing... bah... here my post.

I am thinking to upload some videos about my future EE projects. I would love to give my viewers the best quality possible with of no ads and high quality video.
On the side I hate the YouTube<-->Google+ pure madness. In other words everything is pointing to Vimeo.

Those are my thoughts:

1) Don´t want to make money by pissing my viewers with ads.
2) Believe in viewers freedom and maturity! If they like what I do they also will support me (https://vimeo.com/blog/post:523).
3) I strongly believe the more you give, the more the EE community will give you back. So I want to upload the best I can, and hoping for the best back.
4) I hate those dogs and cats on YouTube making $$$$ for nothing.

Am I dreaming?

BTW, Is there any alternative to Vimeo out there?

Thanks in advance for looking and for your suggestions. Hope to post my first video soon.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:53:26 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline salsaman

Re: Vimeo vs YouTube - "Ads against No Ads" War?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 05:06:38 pm »
Vimeo is quality and worth what you'll pay to offer folks HD video and no ads.

I see no downside-- go for it!

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 05:10:26 pm »
If you're not monetising your content then you don't have ads on YouTube. And an awful lot more people will find you on YouTube than Vimeo.

Ads are not appropriate for my videos. Disable advertising.
If you believe that ads are inappropriate for your videos, you can opt out of displaying ads:

Sign in to your account and go to the Settings page.
Click the "Overview" tab.
Under the heading "Advertisements," select the "Do not allow advertisements" radio button and click "Save Changes."

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2475463?hl=en-GB

So I'd say go for YouTube, people whine about the Google+ stuff but it hasn't stopped people using it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 05:18:19 pm by Mechanical Menace »
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 06:52:11 pm »
If you are doing a community based video try Archive.org. They do some nice work, and there is no ad on the video, plus they allow downloading or even torrenting.

n45048

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 07:20:23 pm »
I've used Vimeo in the past and actually prefer it from a content producers point of view.

As a content consumer, I enjoy the variety YouTube has to offer but dislike the integration into my Google account (which I only use for e-mail). I shouldn't have to sign in to view certain videos nor do I want YouTube's "suggestions" on what I might like to watch.

Worst of all, I hate ads which play before and in some cases during a video. If I wanted to watch ads, I'd connect my TV antenna and watch commercial television. If a video I want to watch has an ad, I make a point of closing it and downloading the content to my hard drive first (using KeepVid) then watching my desired video completely ad-free.

I get the argument that a lot of people rely on ad revenue to earn an income and that's fine. But I strongly believe that I reserve the right to watch what I want, when I want and how I want. More often than not I just want to double-click a file and watch it in VLC player. This doesn't just apply to YouTube, but DVD/Blu-ray and television as well. For example, if I want to watch something without any user restrictions or region coding, then I will do just that. Some people simply don't care and will happily sit through a 30 second ad and that's fine - the ad revenue can come from those people.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:41:46 pm by Halon »

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 07:36:58 pm »
Worst of all, I hate ads which play before and in some cases during the video. If I wanted to watch ads, I'd connect my TV antenna and watch commercial television. If a video I want to watch has an ad, I make a point of closing it and downloading the content to my hard drive first (using KeepVid) then watching my desired video completely ad-free.

You can just use AdBlock, you can even whitelist those channels you think deserve the ad revenue if you see fit ;)
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

n45048

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 07:39:40 pm »
You can just use AdBlock, you can even whitelist those channels you think deserve the ad revenue if you see fit ;)

I use a hardware device called AdTrap which is effective at blocking almost all ads. The downside is that it doesn't work with HTTPS content (and from a security point of view, I'm happy it doesn't). Whilst I enjoy a relatively ad-free internet experience 95% of the time, some stuff just gets through which I'll simply ignore or find another way around it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:41:55 pm by Halon »

Offline Undweeber

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 01:47:39 am »
go for youtube, if people dont like ads they will instal Adblocker,  only go with youtube, dont waste time on vimeo, or upload to both, uploading doesnt take that much time

n45048

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 01:53:30 am »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 02:07:32 am »
I am thinking to upload some videos about my future EE projects. I would love to give my viewers the best quality possible with of no ads and high quality video.

If that is your only goal, then yes, Vimeo is the platform to use.
What you are giving is basically everything else that makes people successful on youtube:
1) Youtube is the worlds 2nd biggest search engine
2) It has the established community of people who watch video
3) People don't have the visit another site (vimeo) to watch your stuff. They almost certainly don't watch anything else on Vimeo.

The big picture is that there si no point producing video if no one is going to watch them, and no one is going to watch your stuff if they can't find your stuff. Youtube allows people to find your stuff.
That is the sole reason why it's the only game in town.

n45048

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 02:12:02 am »
Dave makes some good points however if you direct your users to your website in the first instance, you can embed your videos in there alongside all the other content you may choose to offer. It all depends on how you market your product.

It'll always be searchable via Google anyway.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 02:14:47 am »
I shouldn't have to sign in to view certain videos

When has Youtube ever required a login in order to view a video?

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 02:15:25 am »
Youtube ads are easy to block at the router level.
Can you post how
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

n45048

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 02:16:38 am »
I shouldn't have to sign in to view certain videos

When has Youtube ever required a login in order to view a video?

Anything that is marked for "Over 18's" requires you to "Sign in to confirm your age". By doing so, it also creates a YouTube profile for you, even if you don't want it to. From there is stores your history, offers suggestions, etc...

Example:

I don't believe you can block the video ads unless you're using HTTP (not HTTPS) to access Youtube. Those little static banner ads on the other hand are easy to block. I'll stand corrected though if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:24:44 am by Halon »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 02:22:24 am »
Also:
a) As a content producer Youtube does not force you to have ads on your videos if you don't want to.

b) Is the utmost in video quality required for EE project videos, which are presumably majority static/slow moving? The difference between Vimeo and Youtube for this sort of content is getting down to the pixel peeping category.

c) Who's going to care about your video quality to the extent that your viewers would prefer to watch it on Vimeo instead of Yotuube because of that? I'm virtually certain that you'll get more complaints about not being on Youtube than you'll get people thanking you for using Vimeo instead of Youtube.

I can understand someone choosing Vimeo for artistic or content reasons (Vimeo allows greater variety of questionable content that may get you banned on Youtube), but if you want to build an audience then it is completely the wrong choice. IMO there is absolutely no justification for going to Vimeo for what you want, and practically guarantees that you won't the successful at it long term.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 02:24:42 am »
Anything that is marked for "Over 18's" requires you to "Sign in to confirm your age". By doing so, it also creates a YouTube profile for you, even if you don't want it to. From there is stores your history, offers suggestions, etc...

Oh, ok, in that case, yeah, it sucks.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 02:26:32 am »
Dave makes some good points however if you direct your users to your website in the first instance, you can embed your videos in there alongside all the other content you may choose to offer. It all depends on how you market your product.

That will still orders of magnitude less exposure you'll get than by being on Youtube.
When people want to search video, they usually search Youtube, not Google.

n45048

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 02:29:10 am »

That will still orders of magnitude less exposure you'll get than by being on Youtube.
When people want to search video, they usually search Youtube, not Google.

True and I would say for someone like you who started out on the platform that would be very true. It really comes down to who your target audience is and how you get your product known and out there. One thing I love about Vimeo is how customisable each individual channel is. It's almost like Wordpress for video. Essentially your vimeo.com/channel address could really be your standalone website.

I don't search through your videos using Youtube, I just go straight to youtube.com/eevblog to find what I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:31:19 am by Halon »

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 02:34:39 am »
ditto on blocking youtube ads.  ad blocker plus for firefox kills them all.

https://adblockplus.org/

n45048

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 02:52:26 am »
ditto on blocking youtube ads.  ad blocker plus for firefox kills them all.

https://adblockplus.org/

Now if only they could incorporate that into pfSense as a plugin!

Offline richms

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 05:49:45 am »
vimeo dont have the CDN's that youtube have. I can watch any youtube on 1080 at any time of the day without problems.

vimeo becomes a stutter/buffer fest, the app for the TV means that I have to exit one app and go into another to see my subscriptions, there is much less social connectivity with it without google plus etc so forget commenting and discussion etc.

vimeo is only the place for wanky DSLR wannabe film makers to push their shallow depth of field BS films. Ugh whole thing blurry, hate that crap.

n45048

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 05:59:32 am »
vimeo is only the place for wanky DSLR wannabe film makers to push their shallow depth of field BS films. Ugh whole thing blurry, hate that crap.

That's a bit of a narrow-minded view. I've never had the issues you describe with Vimeo. I used it to upload rough cuts for clients to view. It's far easier than burning Blu-ray copies and posting them out. I find the image quality is also better on Vimeo.

But again, this is a reason why I download content I view fairly regularly. That was I always have an off-line copy and it's available any time I want without worrying about bandwidth.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 07:47:36 am »
Those are my thoughts:
1) Don´t want to make money by pissing my viewers with ads.

Then don't enable ads, simple as that.

2) Believe in viewers freedom and maturity! If they like what I do they also will support me (https://vimeo.com/blog/post:523).

That has nothing to do with Youtube/Vimeo at all.

3) I strongly believe the more you give, the more the EE community will give you back. So I want to upload the best I can, and hoping for the best back.

Sure, but this really has nothing to do with any potential image quality differences between Youtube and Vimeo

4) I hate those dogs and cats on YouTube making $$$$ for nothing.

What's that got to do with you using Youtube to put the content you want?

Am I dreaming?

I don't think you are being realistic, and you vastly overstating any problems with Youtube.
Using Vimeo instead of Youtube will almost certainly kill any idea you had of making a successful channel, that's the reality of the situation.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 08:06:32 am »
I had no idea that there was an alternative to youtube until seeing this thread, so I went on an expedition to vimeo and soon found out that their videos wont play on my LG Not So Smart After All TV.

So unless I am doing something wrong I will have to stick with the devil that I dont know, bloody youtube. Cant give a thumbs down because I'm not signed up/ in /or otherwise, and nor will I.

Muttley
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:58:40 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 08:24:43 am »
Are there any terms-of-use advantages to use Vimeo instead of Google?

n45048

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 08:34:35 am »
You mean you haven't read the terms and conditions?

:-DD
Ironically that video is hosted on Youtube.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:48:19 am by Halon »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 10:12:24 am »

Yes. Vimeo limits the amount of video you can upload, it is not a free service like Youtube is.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 04:43:10 pm »
Can you post how
Ditto. I just love when my TV (where I usually watch my usualy YT channels) start shouting in French at maximum loudness. And when I dare to hit the skip button, YT usually crashes, so I have to watch it again.
Thumbs up for Dave not showing ads before his videos. I'll order your next uStuff every year to avoid ads.

n45048

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 10:06:34 pm »
Block the following:

doubleclick.net
googleads.g.doubleclick.net
pubads.g.doubleclick.net
ad.doubleclick.net

I block *.doubleclick.net but it won't prevent video ads from playing.

This image below was taken from my Adtrap this morning. Google Syndication seems to be one of the bigger culprits.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:12:09 pm by Halon »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf