Author Topic: Visiting London England, any suggestions?  (Read 45956 times)

Offline andy_silicon

• Regular Contributor
Re: Visiting London England, any suggestions?
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2014, 07:28:09 pm »
I was going to put up a list of my favourite places to eat in London, but I live on a diet of meat and beer so it's not that helpful.

You really need to visit Rules

http://www.rules.co.uk/menu/

Offline andy_silicon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2014, 07:32:15 pm »
I am heading for London the first two weeks of September and want to ask anyone if they have suggestions what electronics/technology shops to visit.

Believe it or not, I am going to go to a Kate Bush concert by her invitation and meet her and will be in London from probably the 6th to the 13th, more or less.

I'd probably meet up but I'm actually out of the country that week.

Offline bwat

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2014, 07:47:46 pm »
Of course, the real UK food and diet problem isn't really in the restaurants/takeaways, it's on the TV (advertising) and in the supermarkets where the freezers are stuffed full of 'buy in bulk' chips, pies, burgers, double choccy ice cream and the shelves are stuffed with savoury/fatty/salty stuff and fizzy/sugary drinks.
You find the same garbage in a Konsum in Stockholm or in a Migros in Zurich. You don't however seem to have the obesity panic in these countries.

If I had any say in the matter I would heavily tax unhealthy foods and make it clear on the packaging that the food is unhealthy and show how much tax is being added. I'd also find a way to tax/limit the advertising of such food on the TV.
Compare with cigarettes: heavily taxed, clear health warnings on packaging, advertisement restrictions, and yet still plenty of customers.
"Who said that you should improve programming skills only at the workplace? Is the workplace even suitable for cultural improvement of any kind?" - Christophe Thibaut

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2014, 08:24:47 pm »
Compare with cigarettes: heavily taxed, clear health warnings on packaging, advertisement restrictions, and yet still plenty of customers.
Yes, I'm sure people would still buy the unhealthy foods (but not as much) and at least they would pay tax and the people that manufacture and advertise this junk would get taxed as well  :)

You don't however seem to have the obesity panic in these countries
Here in the UK morbid obesity is a growing ( ;D ) problem. If I were to walk the length of my local high street in a nearby small town I'd expect to see quite a few morbidly obese people within a few minutes. Scary stuff...

Some stats suggest that the number of morbidly obese people in the UK has nearly tripled in the last 30 years.

Offline bwat

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2014, 08:36:25 pm »
Some stats suggest that the number of morbidly obese people in the UK has nearly tripled in the last 30 years.
I've seen a noticeable increase in the numbers big people in the UK in my lifetime. I'm actually old enough to remember the last 30 years quite clearly. My point is that there is something going on that has nothing to do with the availability of garbage food as the same food is available in other countries which don't share this obesity problem.

"Who said that you should improve programming skills only at the workplace? Is the workplace even suitable for cultural improvement of any kind?" - Christophe Thibaut

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline aroby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2014, 08:40:47 pm »
I liked the town of Pisa actually. But yeah, the tower is just a tower that leans, with a thousand tourists at the base.

The one north of Chicago is much less crowded ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaning_Tower_of_Niles

Anthony

Offline aroby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2014, 08:47:59 pm »
You really need to visit Rules

http://www.rules.co.uk/menu/

I haven't been there for a few years, but I do remember that the steak and kidney pudding was excellent!

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2014, 09:40:31 pm »
heavily taxed

Unhealthy food is disproportionately consumed by poor people. Taxation on such items would be highly regressive.

Plus, Eric Holder would apply the doctrine of "disparate impact" on you in no time.

:)

The questions are really, a) do free people have the right to hurt themselves? and 2) what to do about the externalities associated with exercising such freedom?
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2014, 10:01:43 pm »
Please get off the political arguments here. This thread was about shops, restaurants and people to visit in London. It is not about all this other commentary.

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2014, 03:51:31 pm »
As an astronomer, perhaps a trip to Greenwich Royal Observatory?

Food wise:

Decent pub grub. Ask for local advice in whatever area you're in, otherwise you'll just get standard chain-pub fare.

Nothing more British than Indian food :) There have been some suggestions already, but there are a couple of areas where restaurants are wall to wall (Brick Lane, for example) and you can't go wrong.

Fish and chips? Best places are the ones that cook more to order. Look for one with a modest queue.

Aside from that, you can have probably absolutely anything you can think of. Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, BBQ, Lebanese, Italian, French, Spanish, Steak, you name it. Too much to sample in a short trip.

Programmer with a soldering iron - fear me.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2014, 04:08:35 pm »
Most of the curry houses on Brick Lane are mediocre.

Offline andy_silicon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2014, 06:54:38 pm »
For curry houses - make the trip to Southall.

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2014, 09:36:14 am »
Most of the curry houses on Brick Lane are mediocre.

Exactly. The authentic experience!

Programmer with a soldering iron - fear me.

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2014, 06:37:53 pm »
I've just recently moved out of West London (notice to quit by private landlord) after living there for 14 years. I'd recommend hiring a bicycle and exploring london that way. Camden is interesting if you like markets and music pubs. There's London Zoo just around the corner and primrose hill if you want a nice park to have a sit down. If your into cricket theres Lords Cricket ground and then Portobello market and Notting Hill if your into shopping. The closest thing to an old style Electronics shop is Cricklewood Electronics (http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/home.php) but thats about it. Riding a bike down the Grand Union canal is a pleasant change from riding on the main roads. Can't really suggest much else apart from seeing the usual stuff like the globe theatre, st pauls cathederal and going for a boat trip on the mighty Thames.
I live in Bovingdon now(a small village near Hemel Hempstead) just on the edge of the Chilterns AONB. Only been here 2 weeks so a lot of exploring to do. Still in the same job though.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2014, 08:18:15 pm »
I'd recommend hiring a bicycle and exploring London that way.

And remember of course you can use the Boris bikes:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/barclays-cycle-hire

Offline andy_silicon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2014, 05:17:09 pm »
Nope - it doesn't have to be on the road.
Use the tfl.gov.uk website and specify cycle.
You'll get quieter roads and cycle paths.
Canal tow paths offer a quiet and safe way to travel as well.
Like any city - if you choose to cycle on dangerous roads - then its dangerous.

Laws on cycling on pavements vary by council. You are wise to check and obey signs which prohibit cycling on pavements.

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2014, 10:03:03 am »
Laws on cycling on pavements vary by council. You are wise to check and obey signs which prohibit cycling on pavements.

Wrong. Rule 64: https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

You can be stopped and fined by the police for riding on the pavement, except where there are specific cycle lanes. In other words it is default deny, and you need explicit permission to do it. You won't find signs prohibiting riding on the pavement any more than you will find signs listing all the other random laws that apply to you at any given moment.

good thing too, me and my mum have been almost run over several times by cyclists riding on the pavement illegally
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

Offline DaveW

• Frequent Contributor
    • WattCircuit
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2014, 12:26:58 pm »
I live in Bovingdon now(a small village near Hemel Hempstead) just on the edge of the Chilterns AONB. Only been here 2 weeks so a lot of exploring to do. Still in the same job though.

Completely OT, but welcome! Have been in living in the back of Chesham just down the road from you for a couple of years, lovely place

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2014, 12:30:55 pm »

Wrong. Rule 64: https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

You can be stopped and fined by the police for riding on the pavement, except where there are specific cycle lanes. In other words it is default deny, and you need explicit permission to do it. You won't find signs prohibiting riding on the pavement any more than you will find signs listing all the other random laws that apply to you at any given moment.

Just because you can be stopped doesn't mean you will be. If you ride on a busy pavement and cause problems for pedestrians, then you may well get nabbed, but if you are reasonably considerate there is unlikely to be a problem.

The law referenced by Rule 64 of the Highway Code was passed in 1835 and prohibits riding on footpaths. However, it was talking about horse riding - the pedal cycle wasn't invented until the 1860s. Nowadays it has plenty of exclusions and exemptions - it doesn't apply in pedestrianised areas, for example.

Of course the police can always find some suitable law if a cyclist is behaving irresponsibly.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2014, 01:34:25 pm »
i remember racing some cycle couriers on my mtb through the center of london once. id never cycle in london ever again. lots of good mtb'ing out in epsom forest / espom downs. nice and accessable from the east end.

i lived in upton park, manor park, forest gate.

lots of good kebabbies around.

there was a MOST AWESOME persian restaurant in the centernorthish of london. fantastic food. bellydancers, music. very awesome place. cant think o the name of it off top of my head.

when lived in Middlesbrough... fuck all good food around :(

still, Id never pass up a wagamamas damn I love that place..
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2014, 06:49:30 pm »
Just because you can be stopped doesn't mean you will be.

So you are suggesting that a foreign visitor try their luck with the law. Great advice. I'm sure if he gets stopped he can just mention your name and be on his way.

That sort of obnoxious sarcasm really isn't necessary.

You yourself pointed out that there are a large number of 'random laws that can apply to you at any given moment.' Since that is the case, I suggested that individuals who behave considerately and responsibly are less likely to have one of these 'random laws' applied to them by the police.

I cover more miles per week on a bike than in my car, and I take to the pavement when I believe it would be safer than staying on the road. I have never been stopped by a police officer while doing so.

The law referenced by Rule 64 of the Highway Code was passed in 1835 and prohibits riding on footpaths. However, it was talking about horse riding - the pedal cycle wasn't invented until the 1860s.

It was updated in the 90s to specifically include bikes. There was quite a lot about it in the news. They mandated helmets too, and working lights at night. I know a few people who have been stopped on those points.

Wrong. That was a new law, the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations (1989). And helmets are not compulsory in the UK.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2014, 06:58:02 pm »
Whilst on the subject of obscure British laws regarding cycling, it is an offence to ride "in a wanton and furious manner"

section 35 of the Offences against the person act, 1861. It is still in force.

I would also recommend that you use any mode of transport other than cycle in London. Whilst towpaths along the canal are ok, the sight of a colleague arriving at work one  morning after he'd been pulled from the canal by a nearby fisherman caused us much entertainment until the smell started to permeate the lab.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:01:36 pm by KJDS »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2014, 02:00:42 am »
In order to save unwary visitors from being hauled in front of the magistrates, here are some other illegal things to avoid doing while in London:

http://youtu.be/rJGifTou5FE

Offline andy_silicon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2014, 04:53:06 pm »
Whilst on the subject of obscure British laws regarding cycling, it is an offence to ride "in a wanton and furious manner"

section 35 of the Offences against the person act, 1861. It is still in force.

I would also recommend that you use any mode of transport other than cycle in London. Whilst towpaths along the canal are ok, the sight of a colleague arriving at work one  morning after he'd been pulled from the canal by a nearby fisherman caused us much entertainment until the smell started to permeate the lab.

Yep - that's the usual way you will be caught for speeding on a bike. 'Wanton and furious manner'  ;D

As for the pavement issue - there are several pavements along the A4 near heathrow which aren't cycle paths but have specific areas where cycling is allowed and sections where it is not. Seems obvious to follow the directions on the road.

Offline andy_silicon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2014, 05:03:27 pm »
In order to save unwary visitors from being hauled in front of the magistrates, here are some other illegal things to avoid doing while in London:

http://youtu.be/rJGifTou5FE

That was absolutely hilarious.

Being drunk in a Pub !!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf