Author Topic: Visiting London England, any suggestions?  (Read 36838 times)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Visiting London England, any suggestions?
« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2014, 02:52:25 pm »
I am now sitting in my hotel in West Kensington sipping a bit of Talisker Dark Storm and dreaming of being horizontal for a bit instead of trying to sleep sitting up. Tonight I go looking for a good curry and a good sleep afterward. I would really like to get to Brick Lane but I understand it is a bit far from here and I am sure I would get lost on the tube.

Kate Bush is not everyone's taste, and I am glad for that. If something is too popular I tend to shy away from it. She has a unique talent and a wild imagination. I am sure I will be entertained more at her concert than any other 10 concerts I have been to put together. So there! :box:
Shouldn't be a problem finding good food way closer than Brick Lane - just look for somewhere that's busy.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2014, 05:58:44 pm »
I would really like to get to Brick Lane but I understand it is a bit far from here and I am sure I would get lost on the tube.

When I used to wander round London as a youngster I always used to think that if you saw an Underground sign you weren't lost any more. You could be in some far distant backstreets without a map, but if you saw an Underground sign it meant you could get home again.
I'm not an EE--what am I doing here?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2014, 07:16:49 pm »
It turns out I am basically at the east end of Hammersmith. Lots of shops and restaurants here. Now time for a sleep.....

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2014, 02:46:21 am »
Chipmunk or not, its really not a good idea to express the opinion if you are in the UK. She has more talent than 90% of the current top 40 from any country you care to mention, all combined.

You may (or may not) prefer this version.

I think I just heard "WTF" from distant places around the world. At least it is sung with a Yorkshire accent, where Wuthering Heights is written and set in. Where it looks like this:

Being 200 miles from London doesn't stop loads of Americans, Aussies, Japanese... people from everywhere really. We do seem to have a lot of Aussies recently though (about which I'm really not complaining, a nicer bunch of crims you couldn't wish to meet) I wonder if Yorkshire has been on a TV series in Aus this year or something?

I'm sure a lot of our early "Ringbolt passengers" came from that area! ;D

There has been a very funny ,but quite old,series set in Yorkshire,called "The Last of the Summer Wine" on TV here in Oz---Gently hilarious!!

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2014, 03:18:24 am »
With some good English words to be heard:

http://youtu.be/tU98UM2YwwY?t=1m

It's not only Australians that have colourful turns of phrase  :)

I'm not an EE--what am I doing here?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2014, 01:02:09 pm »
I now have a cell phone number should anyone want to call to meet up. PM me for the number. I would put it here but that would invite some problems I think.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2014, 10:02:57 pm »
I can only apologise for Last Of The Summer Wine. Its been on since way before even I was a kid, and it is always shown on a Sunday evening, around that time you are panicking about homework not being done, and being pestered to get to bed by your parents, because it is back to school. Filmed mostly in Holmfirth, you wouldn't think the Tour de France passed through there a few weeks ago would you! No, seriously, it did. Yes, *the* Tour de France.

It passed through that London place too, but it rained there, so meh  ;D

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2014, 12:27:42 am »
So far this visit to England has been very nice. I have had a nice meetup and chat with some good beer with rolycat. Looking forward to another possible meetup with another forum member who contacted me if we can arrange it still.

but of course the highlight was the Kate Bush concert tonight. She and her crew deserve the rave reviews, and she deserves all the kind words anyone has said about her. What else can I say after she gave me a kiss on the cheek!

I have visited some of the places mentioned. As also suggested, no sense buying anything here, wow, the prices are so bad!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 06:48:37 pm by Lightages »

Offline IO390

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2014, 03:49:41 pm »
but of course the highlight was the Kate Bush concert tonight. She and her crew deserve the rave reviews, and she deserves all the kind words anyone has said about her. What else can I say after she gave me a kiss on the cheek!

I know this is an old thread but... I cannot place into words my current level of jealousy.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2014, 07:09:10 pm »
Yes it was fun. I don't think I could have asked for a better visit to London. The weather was perfect, the concert was marvelous, and the food and beer very good.

It is too bad I could not meet up with anyone else, but I can truly say that I have a new friend in England, rolycat.

And as far as Mike's recommendations for good Indian food, he was spot on. That was some of the best I have eaten in my life.

I dropped by a couple of "electronics" stores and was sorely disappointed. I stopped at a Maplins in Hammersmith. I was not impressed at all. There was some Raspberry Pi stuff, Arduino, some cheap tools and multimeters, and some various parts along with a pile of computer parts and crappy headphones. I was specifically looking for a USB 3.0 hub, but they didn't have any. The prices were the same or more than Chile but at least there was a bit better selection.

For future use by anyone traveling to London. Forget bargains, they don't exist. Get a phone chip from EE or O2. Cheap enough and worked very well. I got an EE card, 1gig data, 200 minutes, and 500 text for 10 pounds. If you are there for more than a few days, get an Onion Oyster card for the tube. It will save on time and money for the long run. One week cost me 38 pounds ( if I remember correctly) for zones 1 and 2, unlimited use for one week. If you return the card at the end you get 5 pounds refund.

Plan on 2 days for tourism just in central London. Fish and chips at St. Christopher's pub near London Bridge station was good but what is it with the mushy peas with special herbs?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:43:38 pm by Lightages »

Online Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2014, 07:25:59 pm »
If you ever stay close to Heathrow, you've got to try the Pheasant. Best pub grub I've had in a long time:

http://www.pheasant-restaurant.co.uk/styled/page2.html
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:27:39 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2014, 07:40:31 pm »
If you are there for more than a few days, get an Onion card for the tube
Wrong food - Oyster, not Onion!
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2014, 07:41:46 pm »
DOH! lol, thanks for the correction. :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf