Author Topic: Visiting London England, any suggestions?  (Read 46281 times)

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Visiting London England, any suggestions?
« on: July 11, 2014, 07:10:48 am »
I am heading for London the first two weeks of September and want to ask anyone if they have suggestions what electronics/technology shops to visit.

Believe it or not, I am going to go to a Kate Bush concert by her invitation and meet her and will be in London from probably the 6th to the 13th, more or less.

Not only am I interested in local shops to maybe buy some things, but I would also maybe like to meet up with any Londoners here on the forum if someone is game. it would be great to take this opportunity meet some of you.

I  am also interested in any other places to see or visit that people might have to suggest. I was in England and London in 1977 and visited the Abbey and other usual places.

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
Re: Visiting London England, any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 07:52:55 am »
I've lived and worked in London for 20 years and if anyone knows and decent electronics/technology shops in a 100 mile radius I'd like to know about them too.  ;)
Programmer with a soldering iron - fear me.

Offline deephaven

• Frequent Contributor
  • Civilization is just one big bootstrap
    • Deephaven Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:15:50 am »
I am heading for London the first two weeks of September and want to ask anyone if they have suggestions what electronics/technology shops to visit.

Believe it or not, I am going to go to a Kate Bush concert by her invitation and meet her and will be in London from probably the 6th to the 13th, more or less.

Not only am I interested in local shops to maybe buy some things, but I would also maybe like to meet up with any Londoners here on the forum if someone is game. it would be great to take this opportunity meet some of you.

I  am also interested in any other places to see or visit that people might have to suggest. I was in England and London in 1977 and visited the Abbey and other usual places.

I'm not jealous at all - I tried to buy a couple of (expensive) tickets for one of her shows but they had all gone  :scared:
London used to have some excellent electronics shops but, alas, they have all gone. The nearest I can think of are the shops down Tottenham Court Road although they tend to be just full of consumer electronics these days.

The Science Museum is always worth a visit, with the Natural History Museum and V&A Museum nearby.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 08:21:16 am »
There are RS trade counters at Gatwick and Heathrow. which I think is about as close as you're going to get. (If it's still there, H.Gee on Mill road in Cambridge is worth popping into, though I wouldn't necessarily make a special trip. It's where I bought my '830' multimeter IIRC).

The general area to head for if you really want to spend your time in London looking at technology is Tottenham Court Road... lots of places selling hi-fi, cameras, that sort of thing. It used to be quite a good place to head if you wanted to research a major purchase and compare / contrast different models, but now we have the internet that's not really such a big deal any more. You're unlikely to pick up any bargains that are worth the effort of lugging home.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 08:23:26 am »
You would have no problems spending a full day (or two) in the Science Museum http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/ and Natural History Museum, which is beside it. Both are free entry.  Tottenham Court Road was where the electronics/computer shops are. I was last there in the around 1990, but from what I hear now it may not be worth a visit.

Offline alanb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 08:23:59 am »
If you have time for a visit out side of London Bletchley Park + Museum of computing is well worth a visit. http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/.

Offline Flump

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 03:03:03 pm »
This place would be worth a visit
and if you have any old things you could donate
it would be well received here
https://london.hackspace.org.uk/

things to donate
https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Wishlist#Sub-.C2.A310

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 03:10:04 pm »
Well, I don't know about electronics stuff, but if you happen to like large, armoured vehicles, I strongly recommend a visit to the Tank Museum: http://www.tankmuseum.org/

Bit of a trip, but worth it if you're interested in tanks.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 03:34:42 pm »
The Science Museum is always worth a visit, with the Natural History Museum and V&A Museum nearby.

I'd also recommend the Science Museum (takes a whole day).

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 03:52:06 pm »
My favourite London pub, though it is cleaned a little more often than of old.

http://www.dirtydicks.co.uk/

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 05:28:14 pm »
There are RS trade counters at Gatwick and Heathrow. which I think is about as close as you're going to get. (If it's still there, H.Gee on Mill road in Cambridge is worth popping into, though I wouldn't necessarily make a special trip. It's where I bought my '830' multimeter IIRC).

H Gee are still there, I have been going there since 1962. The have not changed much in all that time either.

http://www.localsecrets.com/cambridgeshire/cambridge/romsey-town/showreview.cfm?id=13959~reviews-h-gee

There is also a very good electronics shop near Lincoln cathedral or there was last time I went there called Birketts as far as I can remember.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 05:35:18 pm »
Amberley museum is worth a day trip
http://www.amberleymuseum.co.uk/
Particularly the electricity & telecoms hall. plenty of other stuff there for disinterested family.....

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Robreeves

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 05:50:31 pm »
I'd suggest the Tower Bridge.  Not electrical, but lots of big steam and big iron.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 06:06:45 pm »
I'd suggest the Tower Bridge.  Not electrical, but lots of big steam and big iron.

Actually, for big steam and big iron you should go here: http://www.kemptonsteam.org/

It's on my to-do list for the next time I'm in the area.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 06:10:58 pm »

Actually, for big steam and big iron you should go here: http://www.kemptonsteam.org/

For some steam stuff much closer to London :  http://www.waterandsteam.org.uk/

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 06:11:38 pm »

Ooh, looky-here: http://www.kemptonsteam.org/history/arc-rectifiers/

Now I definitely have to visit!

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 06:38:43 pm »
go and see alexandra palace the place where tv was first broadcast, you can see the studios, but it is a great building to visit and it has a lot of history
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 07:13:47 pm »
When I was a student in the 1980s I often walked up the Edgware Road when looking for electronics shops in London.
These were mostly hobby electronics shops and amateur radio type places.

It was a fair old walk if I wanted to visit all the shops because they were quite spread out along the Edgware Road. But back then, this was the classic 'walk' of many a keen hobbyist :)

Not sure how many shops are still left, but I think Henry's Electronics is still there? (also, Arrow Electronics is directly opposite Henry's)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 07:50:14 pm by G0HZU »

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 07:21:49 pm »
if you google

edgware road electronics

You can find several shops that are still there today. Back in the 1980s there were quite a few radio/electronics shops there.

It's a road that is next to Marble Arch right in the centre of London just above Hyde Park.

For a bit of nostalgia, I streetviewed up the Edgware Road on google and it brought back a few memories. The last time I was there, there was an amateur radio shop a few doors down from Henry's called Lee Electronics. I bought a 'Standard C58' 2metre multimode radio there not long after I was first licenced in the 1980s. Sadly, Lee Electronics is now gone... replaced by a very dodgy looking minimart/grocer shop  :(
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:01:08 pm by G0HZU »

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 08:08:04 pm »
if you google

edgware road electronics

You can find several shops that are still there today. Back in the 1980s there were quite a few radio/electronics shops there.

It's a road that is next to Marble Arch right in the centre of London just above Hyde Park.

For a bit of nostalgia, I streetviewed up the Edgware Road on google and it brought back a few memories. The last time I was there, there was an amateur radio shop a few doors down from Henry's called Lee Electronics. I bought a 'Standard C58' 2metre multimode radio there not long after I was first licenced in the 1980s. Sadly, Lee Electronics is now gone... replaced by a very dodgy looking minimart/grocer shop  :(
Don't bother with Edgware road - the only remnant of its former glory is Henry's, which is now wall-to-wall disco and CCTV type stuff. I went there a couple of years ago and the only trace of its former surplus past was a one tiny shelf of utter junk in a dark corner.
Tottehham Court Road is all hifi/video/computers and a Maplins.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 08:14:24 pm »
Don't bother with Edgware road - the only remnant of its former glory is Henry's, which is now wall-to-wall disco and CCTV type stuff.

That's a shame... in its heyday it was well worth the long trudge up from Marble Arch/Oxford Street to get to these old radio/electronics shops just to see what surplus stuff they had for sale.

I think I'd be a bit annoyed if I walked all that way (today) just to end up seeing a few disco lights and home security products  :(

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 08:53:09 pm »
Go and visit HMS Belfast (Big warship floating on the Thames). I spent an abolutely brilliant afternoon in its bowels, oddly it was much more enjoyable than the science museum.

On a sunny day it's also quite nice to just walk along the south bank of the river from the Houses of Parliament to London Bridge.
I'd also recommend the London Transport Museum at Covent Garden.
Although I'm not a big fan of the touristy stuff: Take a guided tour in one of the Routemaster buses - these are actually quite interesting.
Go and get lost in Hyde Park  ;D. Enjoy the Tube - yes really it's brilliant for a tech geek.

Kew Steam museum should be worth a visit, hadn't had time to visit last time I was in London.

Do not go anywhere near the City of London - really awful place  :-- .

Offline makerimages

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 09:17:34 pm »
Stay for the 15th, go listen to Bastille

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 09:18:41 pm »
Do not go anywhere near the City of London - really awful place

That's not quite true, there are lots of old, historic and interesting curiosities hidden around the Square Mile if you know where to look. It's not all banks and office buildings. The Museum of London on London Wall is a good starting place to get a sense of the area.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 09:27:45 pm »
Believe it or not, I am going to go to a Kate Bush concert

Yeah, I hate you  :)

The concert I missed: http://youtu.be/-z2HtmBzIAQ

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 09:58:11 pm »
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Nobody wants to together to bend an elbow somewhere?

As far as saying "London, England", it is an old habit as in my old province Ontario in Canada there is a London also. So if we wanted to not be mistaken we needed to say "London, England". So it isn't only Americans........

YEs, I cannt believe it myself that I am flying to London to see a concert, but by invitation I can hardly say no!

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 10:39:57 pm »
YEs, I cannt believe it myself that I am flying to London to see a concert, but by invitation I can hardly say no!
I once went to Canada for a gig.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 11:56:27 pm »
You realise we need some of the back-story here, right?

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 12:45:56 am »
OK. I am a semi professional astronomer and have been involved in astronomy my whole life. This is one of the reasons I moved to Chile, for the clear skies, darkness and the southern milky way. I was originally here in 2009 doing video for Discovery Channel and did episodes on the ALMA project, the VLT at Paranal, and how a French astronomer was running public astronomy tours here in San Pedro de Atacama. I was also staying in his lodges and fell in love with this place. The French astronomer helped me move here and purchased land beside him. He discovered and co-discovered over 3000 asteroids during his career with the European Southern Observatory. The discoverer has the opportunity to nominate a name for his asteroids.

Last year were talking about the asteroids he named and he had named some Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel, The Rolling Stones, etc. I knew he was a fan of Kate Bush's music so I asked him if he would name one after her. He asked me to write the citation and he submitted it. Asteroid 27052 is now known as 27052/Katebush. I sent a message to Kate Bush telling her about her namesake and she was so touched that she insisted we come see her concert and visit with her. So this is probably my one chance to see her live, and to meet her.

It would seem silly to go all the way there and not try and have a wee dram or a pint with some fellow EEVBloggers and see some other things in the area, so I asked. I guess not many people on here from London who would like sit and have a chat.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:17:22 am by Lightages »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 02:08:29 am »
I guess not many people on here from London who would like sit and have a chat.

I certainly would, but it's not very likely that I'll be in London at the time of your visit. Which is a shame, but there we go.

Offline aroby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2014, 02:17:06 am »
I sent a message to Kate Bush telling her about here namesake and she was so touched she insisted we come see her concert and visit with her. So this is probably my one chance to see her live, and to meet her.

Cool story!  Have a great time

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2014, 02:23:51 am »

I could make a very (old) Australian joke about that making me feel "Sulky".,but only old Aussies would get it.! ;D

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 03:19:26 am »
I used to spend days in this bookstore when visiting London. This was before Amazon though.

http://www.foyles.co.uk/Public/Stores/Detail.aspx?storeid=1011

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2014, 06:35:57 am »
I used to spend days in this bookstore when visiting London. This was before Amazon though.

http://www.foyles.co.uk/Public/Stores/Detail.aspx?storeid=1011

Ah, in Charing Cross Road. If I remember correctly this is at the end of the already mentioned Tottenham Court Road.

Tottenham Court was full of wonderful computer and electronic stores. And then you just continued to walk to Charing Cross to find the books about them and about hundreds of thousands other obscure subjects. No idea if it is still worth visiting Charing Cross.

Go and visit HMS Belfast (Big warship floating on the Thames).

If you are in to that stuff, there are also the other parts of the Imperial War Museum in London. Like the War Room bunker, and the main museum.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:37:41 am by Bored@Work »
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2014, 06:47:49 am »
Don't refer to it as "London, England" either or you will get funny looks. Only Americans do that, the rest of the just says "London" or "Dubai" and expects people to know a bit of geography.

He he, Mojo Chan, you really can't give up on US bashing but I understand your envy.

Offline deephaven

• Frequent Contributor
  • Civilization is just one big bootstrap
    • Deephaven Ltd
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 06:49:52 am »
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Nobody wants to together to bend an elbow somewhere?

As far as saying "London, England", it is an old habit as in my old province Ontario in Canada there is a London also. So if we wanted to not be mistaken we needed to say "London, England". So it isn't only Americans........

I'd be up for meeting you somewhere. I don't live in London, but I'm only an hour's train ride away so it would be easy to make a trip up there.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2014, 10:06:59 am »

As in a concert? All that way  :o
Who was it?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2014, 10:08:54 am »
Are you only going to London for the two weeks.
So much to see in England, would be a shame to spend all two weeks in London?

Offline abaxas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 10:23:30 am »
One thing lots of tourists forget is the borders/ Northumberland 'castle belt'. Also, if you enjoy a night out, there is nothing quite like Newcastle.

/geordie mode off.

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2014, 10:49:58 am »

when are you comming to london to see us?

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2014, 11:04:16 am »
One thing lots of tourists forget is the borders/ Northumberland 'castle belt'. Also, if you enjoy a night out, there is nothing quite like Newcastle.

/geordie mode off.

A night out in the Biig market, nothing finer than being vomited over by drunken, barely clothed, women whilst their boyfriends try and pick a fight with you. England has many attractions, and if you have a thing for the above then fine, however I suspect that very few would put it high on their list of things to do.

A list of things to do:-
Visit a few of the museums. Have a wander round the slightly less touristy bits of London, see the Bank of England, Lincolns Inn Fields etc and enjoy the architecture and history.
Visit one of the great houses, Chatsworth etc.
Visit Oxford or Cambridge
Eat at a back street curry house in Bradford, Luton or Southall. These are very variable so find some up to date local knowledge.
Eat at a Michelin starred restaurant at least once.
If you like the outdoors, get to the Peak or Lake district for a few days.

but whatever you do, unless you enjoy being vomited on by barely dressed drunken women as their boyfriends try and pick a fight, I'd avoid Newcastle city center on a weekend night.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2014, 11:20:07 am »
He he, Mojo Chan, you really can't give up on US bashing but I understand your envy.

Man, you really have it in for me, huh? Maybe you could lay off the ad hominem attacks for a bit, okay?

Seriously, any Americans visiting Europe, you will get funny looks if you start talking about "Paris, France" because it's mildly insulting to us - it implies we don't know where Paris is.
Due to unknown reasons  >:D people who moved to the US didn't invent new names for their villages but used the ones they knew from home. So you have 24 places called Paris in the US: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_%28USA%29

Regarding visiting London: I visited London for the last time about 20 years ago. I recall the Cabinet War Rooms where nice. Another nice place is Covent Garden. When I was there they had the 'spitting image museam' over there. The science museum is huge and definitely interesting -if only the restaurant was better-. For the rest the usual stuff: Big Ben, Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace, Picadilly Circus. I found Rock Circus better than Madame Tussaud's.
BTW the English food isn't as bad as they say it is. You can get a decent meal in a pub for a decent price.

Edit: I forgot the Sherlock Holmes museum. I didn't quite fancy the London Dungeon (also a very limited restaurant -I wonder why-).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:05:56 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2014, 11:35:54 am »

As in a concert? All that way  :o
Who was it?
Well wasn't entirely for the gig , more like the trigger to go on holiday somewhere, and the where being decided by the gig (Holly McNarland), who would likely never tour the UK).

Offline abaxas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2014, 11:40:10 am »
but whatever you do, unless you enjoy being vomited on by barely dressed drunken women as their boyfriends try and pick a fight, I'd avoid Newcastle city center on a weekend night.

There is more to a Newcastle night out than just the Bigg market. It's not all a daily mail stereotype, just like everyone from south of Birmingham isn't called Tarquin.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2014, 11:45:56 am »
For a different take on English stately home visits, Avebury Manor is great fun.

It's a 500-year old manor house which has been carefully restored, but instead of putting everything behind velvet ropes, you are positively encouraged to lie in the four-poster beds, sit on the antique chairs, have a game in the billiard room or play the piano. You need to book well in advance, though.

Avebury is most famous for its ancient stone circles. The main circle is roughly the same age as Stonehenge but much larger - the village is built in and around it and the main road runs right through it.

I believe journey time from London via public transport is about an hour and a half.

P.S.
May be able to make it into London if you do succeed in organizing a meet-up.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2014, 11:55:51 am »
If you have any interest in football then you could try and get tickets for the Arsenal vs Tottenham game in Sept. But it will be very hard to get tickets for such a passionate and hate filled local derby.

If I ever visit Newcastle the top priority would be to go to a home game against Sunderland!
St James' Park is one of the greatest stadiums in the footballing world for passion and atmosphere.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2014, 12:19:55 pm »

When I'm in the mood to spend the 60 hours of travel time to get there and back...
Just turned down a trip to Finland, Estonia, and Latvia.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2014, 12:22:49 pm »
BTW the English food isn't as bad as they say it is. You can get a decent meal in a pub for a decent price.

I found that bacon got saltier the further North you went. What's up with that?  :-//

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2014, 12:28:53 pm »
Avebury is most famous for its ancient stone circles. The main circle is roughly the same age as Stonehenge but much larger - the village is built in and around it and the main road runs right through it.

I was quite disappointed with Stonehenge. It's so massively touristy and roped off, it really spoils the whole thing.
Best part is driving over the hill on the country road, and bam, there it is.

My rating had nothing to do with my 40 hours of not sleeping and driving straight there after hoping off the plane.
I went back a 2nd time and it was just as bad.

York though is simply awesome, a must for anyone visiting the old dart.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2014, 12:29:45 pm »
A night out in the Biig market, nothing finer than being vomited over by drunken, barely clothed, women whilst their boyfriends try and pick a fight with you. England has many attractions, and if you have a thing for the above then fine, however I suspect that very few would put it high on their list of things to do.

Sounds a bit like Soho in London with nearby Chinatown on a weekend with many tourists. Although last time we did the tourist thing in Soho many of the barely clothed women seemed to be in the business of selling *ehm* personal services. On the other hand, the barely clothed men in some joints didn't seem to be exactly interested in women.

All in all great ripoffs at every corner. And not for those puritan at heart.

Offline abaxas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2014, 12:32:12 pm »
You'll tend to find that London itself is quite modern but the further north you get, the older things tend to have survived.

To define modern, I mean in the last 300-400 years :P

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2014, 12:38:37 pm »
Further north the less sunlight, so longer winters leading to needing to keep it in storage longer. Thus higher salt levels historically, and this has been carried down through time.

Tonight bacon wrapped mushrooms on the BBQ. Going to try a different variant. Last week the Porchini mushrooms were liked by everybody. I only got one.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2014, 12:49:59 pm »
Tonight bacon wrapped mushrooms on the BBQ. Going to try a different variant. Last week the Porchini mushrooms were liked by everybody. I only got one.

Don't forget the potato salad :-)

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2014, 12:52:28 pm »

I was quite disappointed with Stonehenge. It's so massively touristy and roped off, it really spoils the whole thing.

My rating had nothing to do with my 40 hours of not sleeping and driving straight there after hoping off the plane.

They have recently finished a big revamp at Stonehenge, and in some ways it's better. The main road which ran right past it has been closed and grassed over and the original approach to the site has been restored. It's very much a pre-packaged visit, though, complete with a sleek new 'interactive experience centre'.

Avebury is a lot more informal and hands-on - literally. It's an old-fashioned English village which just happens to have a huge Neolithic stone circle running through and around it.

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2014, 01:07:56 pm »
Do not go anywhere near the City of London - really awful place

That's not quite true, there are lots of old, historic and interesting curiosities hidden around the Square Mile if you know where to look. It's not all banks and office buildings. The Museum of London on London Wall is a good starting place to get a sense of the area.

True, I've been to the museum and have seen the Wall and the Barbican Centre is also kind of interesting. As for the rest, that's positively meh. Maybe I didn't know where to look.

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2014, 01:22:17 pm »

When I'm in the mood to spend the 60 hours of travel time to get there and back...
Just turned down a trip to Finland, Estonia, and Latvia.
well wen u do tell us because we want to meet u in the flesh

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2014, 01:23:26 pm »

York though is simply awesome, a must for anyone visiting the old dart.

yeah i agree

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2014, 02:11:03 pm »
That sounds much like the tower of Pisa in Italy. I already looked at it using Google streetview and decided it's not worth visiting but my wife insisted we took the detour. Afterwards she admitted I was right though. Let's call that progress  :-DD
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2014, 02:58:32 pm »
That sounds much like the tower of Pisa in Italy.

I liked the town of Pisa actually. But yeah, the tower is just a tower that leans, with a thousand tourists at the base.

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2014, 03:33:05 pm »

Sure, come to the Hackspace as someone else suggested. Tuesday nights are open but if you can't make that I might be able to show you around it another night. And there are plenty of decent pubs, even if the electronics shops, sadly, are gone.

There is still Cricklewood Electronics, but it doesn't have the amazing scrap piles of the older places.
 :'(

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2014, 05:29:26 pm »

Sure, come to the Hackspace as someone else suggested. Tuesday nights are open but if you can't make that I might be able to show you around it another night. And there are plenty of decent pubs, even if the electronics shops, sadly, are gone.

There is still Cricklewood Electronics, but it doesn't have the amazing scrap piles of the older places.
 :'(
i was thinking of joining that hacker space

Offline bwat

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2014, 09:48:31 pm »
Hardly anyone eats traditional English food because it is incredibly bland and unappealing. It's mostly pretty unhealthy too.
Utter tosh!

Scottish food is just grim. Haggis and deep fried Mars bar.
I don't think you've ever tasted the chieftain o the puddin' race.
"Who said that you should improve programming skills only at the workplace? Is the workplace even suitable for cultural improvement of any kind?" - Christophe Thibaut

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2014, 10:02:12 pm »

Actually I will only be there for one week. That is why I am trying to find things to do without a lot of travel. I saw many places in England the last time I was there but that was a long time ago.

Offline bwat

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2014, 10:05:19 pm »
Actually I will only be there for one week. That is why I am trying to find things to do without a lot of travel.
You're Canadian. Nowhere in the UK is "a lot of travel" from London.

Edit: I mean there's a huge difference in scale between the two countries, not that the quality of Canadianness means I have to spell things out for you.   
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:17:43 pm by bwat »
"Who said that you should improve programming skills only at the workplace? Is the workplace even suitable for cultural improvement of any kind?" - Christophe Thibaut

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2014, 10:15:55 pm »
No all English food is crap. Unfortunately most of it now is off my list to eat. I am a Pescatarian (Vegetarian who will eat fish and seafood), and also now have found out I have allergies to tomato and a lactose intolerance.

I will see if I can drop by the maker shop mentioned. I will be able to firm up times and days to meet people next month. One other thing...

If I bring my cell phone, can I pick up a pay as you go sim card easily, and with data? What cost?

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2014, 10:17:27 pm »
Actually I will only be there for one week. That is why I am trying to find things to do without a lot of travel.

Hmm you may be right.  :-DD  Let's just say I want to not spend my time doing touristy things.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2014, 10:23:47 pm »

I saw many places in England the last time I was there but that was a long time ago.
No all English food is crap.
You may find things have changed somewhat since your last visit.
In London especially, there is probably a wider variety of food than anywhere else in the world, mostly because there are people from most parts of the world living here.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2014, 10:24:00 pm »
If I bring my cell phone, can I pick up a pay as you go sim card easily, and with data? What cost?

If I remember correctly, last time I arrived at Heathrow there were shops and kiosks and vending machines advertising pre-paid sim cards. However, you will get the "tourist deal" if you buy at the airport (i.e. a rip-off).

Best thing is to get into town and go to a regular cell phone shop, or just find a newsagent selling pay as you go and top-up services (most of them do this). Most of the network providers have their own shops in busy retail areas and they will give you the best deal.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1256425-buying-sim-card-heathrow.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:26:43 pm by IanB »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2014, 10:39:04 pm »
I have to say - if you have any interest in human history- the British Museum is not to be missed.  500 years of empire allowed them to pilfer collect an amazing variety of artifacts from all of the major civilizations. 

Years ago I spent 8 months traveling around Great Britain and Europe and of all the many museum's I visited, the British museum was a stand out.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2014, 11:07:23 pm »

I saw many places in England the last time I was there but that was a long time ago.
No all English food is crap.
You may find things have changed somewhat since your last visit.
In London especially, there is probably a wider variety of food than anywhere else in the world, mostly because there are people from most parts of the world living here.
I am sure things have changed quite a bit. The things that I did see last time have not. The Abbey, Cathedrals, Crypts and tombs....

Actually I am looking forward to eating some good Indian food again. They have lots of veggie dishes. I am also looking forward to a good plate of fish and chips with some strong malt vinegar.

To the others who have responded in regards to phone cards, thanks for the heads up.

As far as not finding any technology in England worth dragging back with me, well the prices and availability here are ridiculous. For example they sell notebook computers here with last years technology at twice the price for the latest. So it may be worth my while to nose around a bit.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2014, 11:14:28 pm »
If you really want to try it I recommend starting with a Cornish pasty.

I can't disagree with that.. but you need to get a real one. Which means coming to Cornwall.

Lovely place we have down here, but there's not much interesting going on.

Scottish food is just grim. Haggis and deep fried Mars bar.

Haggis is fabulous. The deep-fried Mars bar is a modern and terrifying creation.

As far as not finding any technology in England worth dragging back with me, well the prices and availability here are ridiculous. For example they sell notebook computers here with last years technology at twice the price for the latest. So it may be worth my while to nose around a bit.

I wouldn't bank on it. Pretty much everything here has the price hiked by 5-10%.. before you add the 20% VAT. Interesting stuff is regularly 200% more expensive than the US. Coming to the UK to shop for electronics is like going to China for clean air.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:17:24 pm by Monkeh »

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2014, 11:32:31 pm »
Actually I am looking forward to eating some good Indian food again. They have lots of veggie dishes.
For awesome veggie Indian, head for Drummond St, near Euston station - Diwanas or Ravi Shankars
I'm far from being a vegetarian but this is one place I don't miss the meat!

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2014, 11:38:44 pm »
If you really want to try it I recommend starting with a Cornish pasty.

I can't disagree with that.. but you need to get a real one. Which means coming to Cornwall.

Lovely place we have down here, but there's not much interesting going on.

Well there is this http://www.porthcurno.org.uk/

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2014, 12:48:51 am »
you really want to try it I recommend starting with a Cornish pasty.
According to the description on Wikipedia that doesn't seem bad to me. I'm not really into salty or overspiced food anyway.

Time for a funny story: In my early twenties I visited London with a friend of mine. Being both picky with food we stuck to what we knew: McDonalds for lunch and dinner for 9 days. I have not eaten any (regular) burger from McDonalds ever since  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:51:03 am by nctnico »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2014, 12:53:41 am »
Foods imported from Britain that I enjoy in America:

• Tea (English tea blends are vastly better than what is available in America)
  • Biscuits (dark chocolate HobNobs, Rich Tea, all butter shortbread)
  • Pickled onions (believe it or not, pickled onions are not found in America)
  • Marmite
  • Butter (American butter is oh so bland and tasteless)
  • Real cheddar cheese (West Country, Welsh, Irish, ...)

Some of them will be hard to get through customs as a personal import, but definitely put some dark chocolate HobNobs in your suitcase if you have any taste for crunchy, oaty, chocolatey snacks whatsoever...

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2014, 08:37:10 am »
Foods imported from Britain that I enjoy in America:

• Tea (English tea blends are vastly better than what is available in America)
  • Biscuits (dark chocolate HobNobs, Rich Tea, all butter shortbread)
  • Pickled onions (believe it or not, pickled onions are not found in America)
  • Marmite
  • Butter (American butter is oh so bland and tasteless)
  • Real cheddar cheese (West Country, Welsh, Irish, ...)

Some of them will be hard to get through customs as a personal import, but definitely put some dark chocolate HobNobs in your suitcase if you have any taste for crunchy, oaty, chocolatey snacks whatsoever...
Not good if you have a fructose intolerance, In fact the UK is not a good place to be if you have fructose intolerance, having been diagnosed with that problem I found out first hand that it is nearly impossible to eat out here and avoid sugars of any description,it's put in most things. I had to go 2 month's without sugar or fructose of an description just about the only thing I could eat was boiled cabbage and Brussel sprouts.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2014, 10:30:53 am »
I was going to put up a list of my favourite places to eat in London, but I live on a diet of meat and beer so it's not that helpful.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2014, 02:17:21 pm »
Oh, please do... it's helpful to some of us!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2014, 03:57:25 pm »
Oh, please do... it's helpful to some of us!

Kelly's, opposite of the Aldgate tube station. Tons of sandwiches and fair prices.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2014, 04:25:39 pm »
Kings Kebab shop, across the way from Euston Rd from Kings Cross station. This isn't haute cuisine, but it clean, cheap and a chicken kebab is fairly healthy. It's also very convenient for Kings Cross and Euston.
China House on Marchmont St. Somewhat more authentic chinese than the norm
Arbutus, michelin starred but fairly easy to book
Meadah Grill on Fieldgate street. Excellent Turkish with good atmosphere.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2014, 04:25:57 pm »
Apparently outside of North America, it's pronounced "choob".

And we could do with some more places that serve Indian food in the US.  Maybe 1 or 2 per city if you're lucky.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:28:09 pm by Stonent »
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2014, 05:13:21 pm »
then you should come to Durban, more curry places than any where else, along with the hottest curries around. Some mild, some wild, and some that make you burn 3 times.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2014, 05:18:52 pm »
Apparently outside of North America, it's pronounced "choob".

Nope, it's pronounced 'tube'. Apparently in North America it's pronounced 'toob'.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2014, 05:49:48 pm »
And we could do with some more places that serve Indian food in the US.  Maybe 1 or 2 per city if you're lucky.

You will like the Bay Area then, more Indian restaurants than in Mumbai. ;-)

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2014, 06:41:32 pm »
spend some time in the east end, go to the old trumans brewery which now has a regular market with  great food, go to spitalfield market too which is also great. if you are into history white chappel is near by which is where jack the ripper operated.

Offline bwat

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2014, 08:21:06 am »
You obviously haven't travelled in the UK.
I'm UK born and bred.

Our roads are crap, our trains are crap, our airports are crap. Basically everything transport related is crap. Journeys that would take an hour or two in other countries take you a day in the UK.
No they don't. You're spouting nonsense.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2014, 08:52:40 am »
There was a nice deli around the corner from work where I used to get lunch. Double or single cut rolls, tuna, smoked turkey, ham, chicken you name it. Whole assortment or salads. Then there was the other stuff - cakes etc. The owner sold the business to an English couple right off the boat and over night the joint became a greasy spoon. Out with the salads, rolls and sandwiches. You could order chips with your pasty or a pasty with your chips or the dude could fry up something either brown or yellow looking on his hot plate of bubbling lard that stank the shop out. They went bust about 2 months later.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:54:45 am by GK »
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2014, 09:22:19 am »
Thirty years ago the worst food in Europe was in the UK and the best in France.

That situation has pretty much reversed.

There are still some parts of the UK where the food is poor. The worst town I've lived in was Basingstoke, where they poured gravy over the salad and didn't realise that was wrong, and the cod in spicy satay sauce was a Findus crispy cod burger.

Portsmouth, possibly England's least sophisticated town at least included a tiny Indian restaurant that never served quite what I ordered, but always gave me delicious food.

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2014, 12:05:05 pm »
There was a nice deli around the corner from work where I used to get lunch. Double or single cut rolls, tuna, smoked turkey, ham, chicken you name it. Whole assortment or salads. Then there was the other stuff - cakes etc. The owner sold the business to an English couple right off the boat and over night the joint became a greasy spoon. Out with the salads, rolls and sandwiches. You could order chips with your pasty or a pasty with your chips or the dude could fry up something either brown or yellow looking on his hot plate of bubbling lard that stank the shop out. They went bust about 2 months later.
dont take that as the norm for English food

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2014, 12:54:01 pm »
It's not that anomalous, though!

What we are generally pretty good at, is cooking food from other parts of the world. Our Indian and Chinese food, though in many cases far from authentic, is on the whole pretty tasty, and certainly better than equivalents I've had in other countries. There's some pretty good Italian food around too, provided you've not actually been to Italy yourself (in which case you might find the comparison less favourable).

It's best to avoid the big chain restaurants IMHO, and any food product that looks as though it might contain ground-up anus, probably does.

Re: transport, for getting around in London the tube really isn't that bad provided you're travelling outside of rush hour. (Strong hint... travel outside of rush hour!!).

The real problem is that our politicians all live and work in London, and seem to have the perception that everywhere else in the country is equally well served by public transport.

This isn't true, of course, so in practice there's a good chance you'll need a car to get around. Fuel is priced in pence per litre, and - just to pre-empt - yes, you have done your conversion to US$ per US Gal correctly, it really is that expensive. And when you get where you're going, you won't be able to find anywhere to park; don't worry, it's not you, we all find the same, and it's one reason why your rental car is so small it would fit in the overhead locker on your flight home.

Offline bwat

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2014, 01:08:37 pm »
You obviously haven't travelled in the UK. Our roads are crap, our trains are crap, our airports are crap. Basically everything transport related is crap. Journeys that would take an hour or two in other countries take you a day in the UK.

I don't know what the US is like, but the other thing to be prepared for is how filthy the place is. Grime and dirt are everywhere. The air is pretty bad too. It really hits me every time I come back from Japan.

Not trying to be funny but since you're able to travel (i.e. not detained at her majesty's pleasure) why not leave the country for good? Life's too short and you don't seem like a particularly happy camper. 

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2014, 01:14:44 pm »
Not trying to be funny but since you're able to travel (i.e. not detained at her majesty's pleasure) why not leave the country for good?

Great question, :0

On roads, I have had more than my fair share of 7-8hr NYC<->DC trips now (both I95 and through PA/NJ) that I actually prefer the train - however slow Acela is, it does get you there in style, :)

I wish we do more country building in America.

No they don't. You're spouting nonsense.

Agreed.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2014, 03:22:49 pm »
Can't offer advice other than have a great trip.
I am "oop norf" outside Manchester, and things are more countryside and animals here, better than all that old masonry and tat ;)

The KB gig and story is sweet and is no surprise I have heard similar things of her on other fora.

Again have fun Light :)
If you get very lost and find yourself in Manchester one night, remember, beware the moon, stay on the path :p

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2014, 04:01:34 pm »
Not trying to be funny but since you're able to travel (i.e. not detained at her majesty's pleasure) why not leave the country for good? Life's too short and you don't seem like a particularly happy camper.

Mojo Chan, you are invited to the Bay Area. You will love it here. Wide roads, 110V mains (you will not need that transformer) and great Japanese food. We even have a large Urasenke chapter.

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2014, 04:46:29 pm »
To be fair, if you spend any amount of time in Japan, everywhere else looks a bit dirty.

As for the other criticisms - if you're eating bad food in any City in the UK (and especially London) then you're just eating in the wrong places - so don't do that. And travel really isn't that bad. Trains not an order of magnitude slower than (for example) the bullet trains in Japan. Just an order of magnitude more expensive :)

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2014, 05:06:57 pm »
if you're eating bad food in any City in the UK ...

Agreed. While one may not be able to have great food in any city, one can always find horrible food in any city anywhere.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • KrÃ¥ketær
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2014, 05:24:07 pm »
i so lived for wagamamas oh man.. working in soho at HMV head office, I was at the Green Man pub and off to wagamamas all the time.

beer for lunch and a meeting in the pub? that was a great way to work and network. such different coporate culture than where I am now in the usa.
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2014, 05:32:19 pm »
To be fair, if you spend any amount of time in Japan, everywhere else looks a bit dirty.

Saw once in a busy Tokyo metro station a woman cleaning the hand rail of a people conveyer  with a feather duster. Nothing surprised in Japan me after that day.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2014, 06:42:14 pm »
My father was in Japan visiting a Toyoda factory, making Toyota's. The only people in the automated plant were there to drive the cars off the end of the line to the yard to park them for shipping, and a group of sweepers who went through the plant all day and night sweeping the floor under the machinery, sweeping the invisible dust into the demarcated lines the automated sweeper ran along. He remarked that the entire plant was cleaner than any place he had been to, even the garbage bins were clean inside and out, with the garbage inside wrapped in plastic bags. he came back with a design for a trailer that is still in use today, though it has been modified over the years as the delivery methods changed from crates and returns to shrinks and non returnable bottles. There still is a lot of returnable bottles, but the crates have changed from wood to plastic. I still have a wooden crate around, the giant 3 storey pile in the back yard was burnt by us as firewood in the 1980's, though the termites were doing a sterling job eating them from the bottom.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2014, 06:57:01 pm »
Of course, the real UK food and diet problem isn't really in the restaurants/takeaways, it's on the TV (advertising) and in the supermarkets where the freezers are stuffed full of 'buy in bulk' chips, pies, burgers, double choccy ice cream and the shelves are stuffed with savoury/fatty/salty stuff and fizzy/sugary drinks.

If I had any say in the matter I would heavily tax unhealthy foods and make it clear on the packaging that the food is unhealthy and show how much tax is being added. I'd also find a way to tax/limit the advertising of such food on the TV.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:59:11 pm by G0HZU »

Offline andy_silicon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2014, 07:28:09 pm »
I was going to put up a list of my favourite places to eat in London, but I live on a diet of meat and beer so it's not that helpful.

You really need to visit Rules

http://www.rules.co.uk/menu/

Offline andy_silicon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2014, 07:32:15 pm »

I'd probably meet up but I'm actually out of the country that week.

Offline bwat

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2014, 07:47:46 pm »
Of course, the real UK food and diet problem isn't really in the restaurants/takeaways, it's on the TV (advertising) and in the supermarkets where the freezers are stuffed full of 'buy in bulk' chips, pies, burgers, double choccy ice cream and the shelves are stuffed with savoury/fatty/salty stuff and fizzy/sugary drinks.
You find the same garbage in a Konsum in Stockholm or in a Migros in Zurich. You don't however seem to have the obesity panic in these countries.

If I had any say in the matter I would heavily tax unhealthy foods and make it clear on the packaging that the food is unhealthy and show how much tax is being added. I'd also find a way to tax/limit the advertising of such food on the TV.
Compare with cigarettes: heavily taxed, clear health warnings on packaging, advertisement restrictions, and yet still plenty of customers.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2014, 08:24:47 pm »
Compare with cigarettes: heavily taxed, clear health warnings on packaging, advertisement restrictions, and yet still plenty of customers.
Yes, I'm sure people would still buy the unhealthy foods (but not as much) and at least they would pay tax and the people that manufacture and advertise this junk would get taxed as well  :)

You don't however seem to have the obesity panic in these countries
Here in the UK morbid obesity is a growing ( ;D ) problem. If I were to walk the length of my local high street in a nearby small town I'd expect to see quite a few morbidly obese people within a few minutes. Scary stuff...

Some stats suggest that the number of morbidly obese people in the UK has nearly tripled in the last 30 years.

Offline bwat

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2014, 08:36:25 pm »
Some stats suggest that the number of morbidly obese people in the UK has nearly tripled in the last 30 years.
I've seen a noticeable increase in the numbers big people in the UK in my lifetime. I'm actually old enough to remember the last 30 years quite clearly. My point is that there is something going on that has nothing to do with the availability of garbage food as the same food is available in other countries which don't share this obesity problem.

Offline aroby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2014, 08:40:47 pm »
I liked the town of Pisa actually. But yeah, the tower is just a tower that leans, with a thousand tourists at the base.

The one north of Chicago is much less crowded ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaning_Tower_of_Niles

Anthony

Offline aroby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2014, 08:47:59 pm »
You really need to visit Rules

http://www.rules.co.uk/menu/

I haven't been there for a few years, but I do remember that the steak and kidney pudding was excellent!

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2014, 09:40:31 pm »
heavily taxed

Unhealthy food is disproportionately consumed by poor people. Taxation on such items would be highly regressive.

Plus, Eric Holder would apply the doctrine of "disparate impact" on you in no time.

:)

The questions are really, a) do free people have the right to hurt themselves? and 2) what to do about the externalities associated with exercising such freedom?

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2014, 10:01:43 pm »
Please get off the political arguments here. This thread was about shops, restaurants and people to visit in London. It is not about all this other commentary.

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2014, 03:51:31 pm »
As an astronomer, perhaps a trip to Greenwich Royal Observatory?

Food wise:

Decent pub grub. Ask for local advice in whatever area you're in, otherwise you'll just get standard chain-pub fare.

Nothing more British than Indian food :) There have been some suggestions already, but there are a couple of areas where restaurants are wall to wall (Brick Lane, for example) and you can't go wrong.

Fish and chips? Best places are the ones that cook more to order. Look for one with a modest queue.

Aside from that, you can have probably absolutely anything you can think of. Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, BBQ, Lebanese, Italian, French, Spanish, Steak, you name it. Too much to sample in a short trip.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2014, 04:08:35 pm »
Most of the curry houses on Brick Lane are mediocre.

Offline andy_silicon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2014, 06:54:38 pm »
For curry houses - make the trip to Southall.

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2014, 09:36:14 am »
Most of the curry houses on Brick Lane are mediocre.

Exactly. The authentic experience!

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2014, 06:37:53 pm »
I've just recently moved out of West London (notice to quit by private landlord) after living there for 14 years. I'd recommend hiring a bicycle and exploring london that way. Camden is interesting if you like markets and music pubs. There's London Zoo just around the corner and primrose hill if you want a nice park to have a sit down. If your into cricket theres Lords Cricket ground and then Portobello market and Notting Hill if your into shopping. The closest thing to an old style Electronics shop is Cricklewood Electronics (http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/home.php) but thats about it. Riding a bike down the Grand Union canal is a pleasant change from riding on the main roads. Can't really suggest much else apart from seeing the usual stuff like the globe theatre, st pauls cathederal and going for a boat trip on the mighty Thames.
I live in Bovingdon now(a small village near Hemel Hempstead) just on the edge of the Chilterns AONB. Only been here 2 weeks so a lot of exploring to do. Still in the same job though.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2014, 08:18:15 pm »
I'd recommend hiring a bicycle and exploring London that way.

And remember of course you can use the Boris bikes:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/barclays-cycle-hire

Offline andy_silicon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2014, 05:17:09 pm »
Nope - it doesn't have to be on the road.
Use the tfl.gov.uk website and specify cycle.
You'll get quieter roads and cycle paths.
Canal tow paths offer a quiet and safe way to travel as well.
Like any city - if you choose to cycle on dangerous roads - then its dangerous.

Laws on cycling on pavements vary by council. You are wise to check and obey signs which prohibit cycling on pavements.

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2014, 10:03:03 am »
Laws on cycling on pavements vary by council. You are wise to check and obey signs which prohibit cycling on pavements.

Wrong. Rule 64: https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

You can be stopped and fined by the police for riding on the pavement, except where there are specific cycle lanes. In other words it is default deny, and you need explicit permission to do it. You won't find signs prohibiting riding on the pavement any more than you will find signs listing all the other random laws that apply to you at any given moment.

good thing too, me and my mum have been almost run over several times by cyclists riding on the pavement illegally

Offline DaveW

• Frequent Contributor
    • WattCircuit
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2014, 12:26:58 pm »
I live in Bovingdon now(a small village near Hemel Hempstead) just on the edge of the Chilterns AONB. Only been here 2 weeks so a lot of exploring to do. Still in the same job though.

Completely OT, but welcome! Have been in living in the back of Chesham just down the road from you for a couple of years, lovely place

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2014, 12:30:55 pm »

Wrong. Rule 64: https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

You can be stopped and fined by the police for riding on the pavement, except where there are specific cycle lanes. In other words it is default deny, and you need explicit permission to do it. You won't find signs prohibiting riding on the pavement any more than you will find signs listing all the other random laws that apply to you at any given moment.

Just because you can be stopped doesn't mean you will be. If you ride on a busy pavement and cause problems for pedestrians, then you may well get nabbed, but if you are reasonably considerate there is unlikely to be a problem.

The law referenced by Rule 64 of the Highway Code was passed in 1835 and prohibits riding on footpaths. However, it was talking about horse riding - the pedal cycle wasn't invented until the 1860s. Nowadays it has plenty of exclusions and exemptions - it doesn't apply in pedestrianised areas, for example.

Of course the police can always find some suitable law if a cyclist is behaving irresponsibly.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • KrÃ¥ketær
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2014, 01:34:25 pm »
i remember racing some cycle couriers on my mtb through the center of london once. id never cycle in london ever again. lots of good mtb'ing out in epsom forest / espom downs. nice and accessable from the east end.

i lived in upton park, manor park, forest gate.

lots of good kebabbies around.

there was a MOST AWESOME persian restaurant in the centernorthish of london. fantastic food. bellydancers, music. very awesome place. cant think o the name of it off top of my head.

when lived in Middlesbrough... fuck all good food around :(

still, Id never pass up a wagamamas damn I love that place..
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2014, 06:49:30 pm »
Just because you can be stopped doesn't mean you will be.

So you are suggesting that a foreign visitor try their luck with the law. Great advice. I'm sure if he gets stopped he can just mention your name and be on his way.

That sort of obnoxious sarcasm really isn't necessary.

You yourself pointed out that there are a large number of 'random laws that can apply to you at any given moment.' Since that is the case, I suggested that individuals who behave considerately and responsibly are less likely to have one of these 'random laws' applied to them by the police.

I cover more miles per week on a bike than in my car, and I take to the pavement when I believe it would be safer than staying on the road. I have never been stopped by a police officer while doing so.

The law referenced by Rule 64 of the Highway Code was passed in 1835 and prohibits riding on footpaths. However, it was talking about horse riding - the pedal cycle wasn't invented until the 1860s.

It was updated in the 90s to specifically include bikes. There was quite a lot about it in the news. They mandated helmets too, and working lights at night. I know a few people who have been stopped on those points.

Wrong. That was a new law, the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations (1989). And helmets are not compulsory in the UK.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2014, 06:58:02 pm »
Whilst on the subject of obscure British laws regarding cycling, it is an offence to ride "in a wanton and furious manner"

section 35 of the Offences against the person act, 1861. It is still in force.

I would also recommend that you use any mode of transport other than cycle in London. Whilst towpaths along the canal are ok, the sight of a colleague arriving at work one  morning after he'd been pulled from the canal by a nearby fisherman caused us much entertainment until the smell started to permeate the lab.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:01:36 pm by KJDS »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2014, 02:00:42 am »
In order to save unwary visitors from being hauled in front of the magistrates, here are some other illegal things to avoid doing while in London:

http://youtu.be/rJGifTou5FE

Offline andy_silicon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2014, 04:53:06 pm »
Whilst on the subject of obscure British laws regarding cycling, it is an offence to ride "in a wanton and furious manner"

section 35 of the Offences against the person act, 1861. It is still in force.

I would also recommend that you use any mode of transport other than cycle in London. Whilst towpaths along the canal are ok, the sight of a colleague arriving at work one  morning after he'd been pulled from the canal by a nearby fisherman caused us much entertainment until the smell started to permeate the lab.

Yep - that's the usual way you will be caught for speeding on a bike. 'Wanton and furious manner'  ;D

As for the pavement issue - there are several pavements along the A4 near heathrow which aren't cycle paths but have specific areas where cycling is allowed and sections where it is not. Seems obvious to follow the directions on the road.

Offline andy_silicon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2014, 05:03:27 pm »
In order to save unwary visitors from being hauled in front of the magistrates, here are some other illegal things to avoid doing while in London:

http://youtu.be/rJGifTou5FE

That was absolutely hilarious.

Being drunk in a Pub !!

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2014, 03:20:03 pm »
Sorry for stiring up a hornets nest, just trying to be helpful. When I moved down to London in 2000 I found it a lot easier to just hire a bike rather than try to figure out all of the various public transport options. Maybe it's not the best choice for someone who is not familiar with traffic. Having said that most drivers are considerate and the more people cycle the more aware drivers become. I do ride a motorcycle as well so I can see it from both sides. Sometimes riding on the pavement is a question of survival.
I just love cycling thats all. Besides this post is about visiting London and I don't want to get into a fight.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2014, 04:13:30 pm »
Cycling in London is fine, just stay off the busier roads and don't assume that just because there's some blue paint on the road to indicate a cycle route, that it's actually been planned out and is safe...

But for sight seeing around the centre, it's better than sitting in a tunnel on a baking hot tube train.

As for cycling on the pavement, please don't. If you feel that it's too dangerous on the road, just get off and walk. You're entitled to feel safe, but you're not entitled to endanger or inconvenience others in the process.

(My mother in law currently has a broken arm thanks to a pavement cyclist, and my wife, who is visually impaired, has been knocked down at crossings by cyclists jumping red lights on a few occasions...  please be considerate!)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2014, 10:47:14 am »
No all English food is crap. Unfortunately most of it now is off my list to eat. I am a Pescatarian (Vegetarian who will eat fish and seafood), and also now have found out I have allergies to tomato and a lactose intolerance.
By the sounds of it you've not had much traditional British food. Fish used to contribute to a large portion of the British diet, until overfishing became a problem. Try fish and chips, jellied eels, fish pie, muscles, cockles, crab etc.

It's unfortunate you have food allergies but that's something that can be a problem wherever you travel. Oh and you may be lactose intolerant but that doesn't mean you need to avoid all dairy. There are plenty of hard cheeses which are extremely low in lactose and shouldn't cause you any problems at all. Lactose is a carbohydrate so any dairy product which has close to zero carbohydrates will also be virtually free of lactose and should be fairly well tolerated. Fortunately food labelling is generally quite good in the UK.

I've seen a noticeable increase in the numbers big people in the UK in my lifetime. I'm actually old enough to remember the last 30 years quite clearly. My point is that there is something going on that has nothing to do with the availability of garbage food as the same food is available in other countries which don't share this obesity problem.
Obesity is a complex problem. Junk food and lack of exercise may be contribute to it but contrary to popular belief dietary restriction is ineffective. It isn't losing the weight but keeping it off which is the problem. After an obese person losses weight, their body fights it. They experience intense cravings for high calorie food, tiredness (therefore reduced physical activity) and eventual weight regain, often above their pre-diet weight, so they end up in a worse situation than before!

Offline bwat

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2014, 11:03:20 am »
Obesity is a complex problem. Junk food and lack of exercise may be contribute to it but contrary to popular belief dietary restriction is ineffective.
I think you've fallen into the same trap as many other people have. Calorie restriction does solve the problem. People who say diets don't work are the people who define a diet as some kind of temporary action. There's no reason for it to be temporary.

It isn't losing the weight but keeping it off which is the problem. After an obese person losses weight, their body fights it. They experience intense cravings for high calorie food, tiredness (therefore reduced physical activity) and eventual weight regain,
For most people (*) it's a question of will power plain and simple.

*) This qualification is to deal with the unlucky souls who have genuine medical conditions. 

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2014, 08:14:43 pm »
Obesity is a complex problem. Junk food and lack of exercise may be contribute to it but contrary to popular belief dietary restriction is ineffective.
I think you've fallen into the same trap as many other people have.
I used to share the same view as you but I've realised I was wrong but I don't expect I'll be able to convince you, as I doubt arguing with someone on the Internet would've changed my mind either.

Calorie restriction does solve the problem. People who say diets don't work are the people who define a diet as some kind of temporary action. There's no reason for it to be temporary.

It isn't losing the weight but keeping it off which is the problem. After an obese person losses weight, their body fights it. They experience intense cravings for high calorie food, tiredness (therefore reduced physical activity) and eventual weight regain,

For most people (*) it's a question of will power plain and simple.

*) This qualification is to deal with the unlucky souls who have genuine medical conditions.
No, calorie restriction does not solve the problem of obesity. This has been known about for a long time, 60 years or more and it isn't a simple case of will power either. For some reason, doctors haven't been told about this. They keep telling their patients to restrict their diet but it's ineffective over the long term - the body fights back making restriction unsustainable.

There's a reason why weight regain occurs after a period of calorific restriction and it has nothing to do with greed or falling back into old habits but the body's starvation response.

In fact calorie restriction makes the problem of obesity worse in most cases, not better. It inflicts more stress on the metabolism and carries an increased risk of further weight gain, rather than loss.

A classic study is the Minnesota starvation experiment. During the war, in a bid do find out how to re-feed famine victims and prisoners, some previously healthy conscientious objectors were put on a low calorie diet and exercise regime until they lost 25% of their original body weight. Not only did the diet cause them to suffer both physically and mentally but when they tried to re-feed, they ended up binge eating, until they overshot their pre-diet weights considerably. Fortunately after a couple of years of not restricting, they returned to their pre-starvation weights, those who were fat before the diet remained fat and those who were thin reverted to being thin. In the long the period of restriction made no difference whatsoever.
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/135/6/1347.full

It turns out that doing the same kind of thing to obese people has similar effects. The main difference is they generally can lose more weight before this happens and their fat does protect their body's protein to some degree but they still end up getting fat again after the period of restriction ceases.

Another interesting experiment is the Vermont prison overfeeding study where a group of prisoners who'd never been overweight before were put on a high calorie diet, in order to increase their body weight by 15% to 25%. Surprisingly many struggled to achieve this, even gouging themselves on between 8000kCal to 10,000kCal per day.
http://idealbodyweights.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/vermont-prison-overfeeding-study.html

Here's another fascinating article on obesity and the human metabolism.
http://www.dana.org/Cerebrum/Default.aspx?id=39307

Offline bwat

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2014, 08:37:26 pm »
There's a reason why weight regain occurs after a period of calorific restriction and it has nothing to do with greed or falling back into old habits but the body's starvation response.

But if there is no "after"? As I said earlier:
Calorie restriction does solve the problem. People who say diets don't work are the people who define a diet as some kind of temporary action. There's no reason for it to be temporary.

So no "refeed" as in the Minnesota experiment.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:43:50 pm by bwat »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2014, 09:03:48 pm »
This is way off topic, but I agree with bwat.

Changing your weight requires a permanent lifestyle change (including diet). There is no "period of" or "temporary" anywhere involved.

Offline allikat

• Contributor
« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2014, 06:26:47 am »
Back on topic:
I must repeat the recommendation for Bletchley Park, as it's an amazing place, make certain to also visit the (separately charged) computer museum there (be sure and visit on a day it's open).

For more technological related things, then the cities of Manchester and Bristol also have some attractions.
Bristol - where Brunel did most of his best work, and home of a lot of the British aviation industry.  http://www.bristolmuseums.org.uk/ and http://www.ssgreatbritain.org/
Manchester - I believe they have a tech museum associated with UMIST (the UK equivalent to MIT ) - aha  http://www.mosi.org.uk/
Any engineer can readily identify 3 smells:
1: Coffee, 2: Escaped magic smoke, 3: Bullshit
(from an original post by John Coloccia)

Offline kc0ngu

• Contributor
« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2014, 08:37:55 pm »
I was going to suggest Garland Bros. of Deptford, an electronics store with huge inventory, but checked and found the business was dissolved in 2012, they would have been worth a trip to the East end, but ho hum, times change.  :-\

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2014, 09:56:33 pm »

But if there is no "after"? As I said earlier:

So no "refeed" as in the Minnesota experiment.

What do you mean no re-feed? Most diets supposed to treat obesity can't be continued indefinitely because they will result in death from starvation eventually.

I think what you're suggesting is why can't they lose weight, then eat about the right amount maintain their current weight? No, it's not that easy. They will have to count calories endlessly, deal with constant cravings, fatigue and ultimately disordered eating, similar to what the Minnesota starvation experiment demonstrated, despite being at a normal weight.

This is way off topic, but I agree with bwat.

Changing your weight requires a permanent lifestyle change (including diet). There is no "period of" or "temporary" anywhere involved.
But it's not that simple. That kind of advice misses the point that the body of a previously obese person who has lost weight, is metabolically different to someone who's never been obese before. A previously obese person will still have more fat cells, be less sensitive to hormones secreted by fat which tell their body that food is plentiful, than someone who's never been obese. To maintain their lower weight they will be continuously starving, as their body attempts to store the calories they eat, rather than burn them, hence the lethargy, fatigue, constant hunger pangs etc.

I can confirm that calorie restriction alone is not enough. It has to be minimal and combined with exercise to work, so that both can be sustained. Unfortunately I'm one of those people with a medical condition that makes exercise impossible, so calorie restriction is all I have available.
That's difficult but there's still no need for calorie restriction, apart from the cravings, it's bad for weight management because you end up weight cycling - it's actually more healthy for your weight to be stable, even it's obese, than swinging from one weight to another. Weight loss always causes some loss of muscle, regain always results in fat gain but minimal muscle gain. How about focussing on health in general?

It seems to be the most sensible and sustainable thing, rather than restriction to control weight.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/214571.php

Anyway, back on topic.

How about the Shuttleworth collection? I've not been there for ages.
http://www.shuttleworth.org/

Offline bwat

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2014, 07:15:36 am »
What do you mean no re-feed?

Most diets supposed to treat obesity can't be continued indefinitely because they will result in death from starvation eventually.
As I said in my first post on the subject "People who say diets don't work are the people who define a diet as some kind of temporary action."

I think what you're suggesting is why can't they lose weight, then eat about the right amount maintain their current weight?
No I'm not saying that. I'm saying that people should adopt a diet which gives them the necessary nutrition amount of energy which roughly matches their target wight w.r.t. their activity levels. I see no "weight loss" then "maintenance" phases just normal daily routine.

it's actually more healthy for your weight to be stable, even it's obese, than swinging from one weight to another.
Again you're assuming weight swings. It doesn't have to swing back and forth.

Weight loss always causes some loss of muscle,
Agreed.

regain always results in fat gain but minimal muscle gain.
You've never trained olympic weightlifting and I'm sure others who have trained strength sports will agree with me. Your use "minimial" is pure hyperbole. Also, any gain in muscle mass will help an individual to burn more calories when training as their stronger bodies will be able to handle more volume.

How about focussing on health in general?
Honestly, this sounds like "If at first you don't succeed, redefine success".

Look, we're not going to see eye to eye and this has nowt to do with electronics so I'll not say any more on the matter to stop the thread getting shut down.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2014, 10:27:38 am »
I'd like to suggest a stroll along the south bank of the Thames, perhaps a trip on the London eye, but whatever you do, don't start a conversation on obesity as it seems you'll never hear the end of it.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2014, 09:20:03 pm »
Thank you all very much for the lively discussion and the suggestions. I will be in London from the 6th until the 11th. I can probably meet up with people on the 6th, 7th, and maybe the 8th and 10th, and I hope to do at least some of the thing that have been suggested.

If you want to meet and bend an elbow somewhere, please send me a PM and hopefully we can arrange something.

Thanks again.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2014, 10:38:58 pm »
Since the London Eye was mentioned I'll also mention the cable car thingy ("the dangleway") in Greenwich. Of all the high places in London to get aerial views it is by far the least expensive and involves least queuing. The view is not super scenic, but still quite impressive.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:04:44 pm by IanB »

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2014, 10:49:44 pm »
Since the London Eye was mentioned I'll also mention the cable car thingy ("the dangleway") in Greenwich. Of all the high places in London to get aerial views it is by far the least expensive and involves least queuing. The view is not super scenic, but still quite impressive.
One of my projects is in the Siemens exhibition at the Crystal, right next to the northern terminal of the cable car
http://www.hirschandmann.com/2013/siemens-crystal/

..at least as far as I know it's still there......

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2014, 04:30:39 am »
Will just miss you. Arriving on the 11th. Staying in Kensington. Too bad.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2014, 04:33:55 am »
Damn, too bad.  :(

Well if you ever make it to Chile, north Chile, let me know.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2014, 12:33:27 pm »
i remember racing some cycle couriers on my mtb through the center of london once. id never cycle in london ever again.

If you ride your bikes in London streets use the Bike Butterfly for your safety:

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2014, 12:51:05 pm »
Did someone have their fingers on the pitch control, or is she supposed to sound like a chipmunk?

I think you mate should have called the celestial object Tatyana.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2014, 01:14:47 am »
Did someone have their fingers on the pitch control, or is she supposed to sound like a chipmunk?

[link to Wuthering Heights video removed]

I think you mate should have called the celestial object Tatyana.

[link to Bach guitarist removed]
She was portraying a tormented spirit yearning for her lost lover.

For a more conventionally beautiful song, try this:

She wrote the song aged thirteen and this version was recorded when she was sixteen.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2014, 01:40:14 am »

That just happens to sound like a chipmunk.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2014, 02:32:09 am »

That just happens to sound like a chipmunk.

Congratulations - you are clearly the first person since the song's release 36 years ago to have spotted that she sang it using a falsetto register...

...No, apparently not - here is one of your countrymen singing it in the same key:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 02:42:20 am by rolycat »

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2014, 04:24:37 am »
here is one of your countrymen singing it in the same key:

Whatever turns you on.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2014, 05:08:44 am »
Chipmunk or not, its really not a good idea to express the opinion if you are in the UK. She has more talent than 90% of the current top 40 from any country you care to mention, all combined.

You may (or may not) prefer this version.

I think I just heard "WTF" from distant places around the world. At least it is sung with a Yorkshire accent, where Wuthering Heights is written and set in. Where it looks like this:

Being 200 miles from London doesn't stop loads of Americans, Aussies, Japanese... people from everywhere really. We do seem to have a lot of Aussies recently though (about which I'm really not complaining, a nicer bunch of crims you couldn't wish to meet) I wonder if Yorkshire has been on a TV series in Aus this year or something?

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2014, 02:49:49 pm »
I am now sitting in my hotel in West Kensington sipping a bit of Talisker Dark Storm and dreaming of being horizontal for a bit instead of trying to sleep sitting up. Tonight I go looking for a good curry and a good sleep afterward. I would really like to get to Brick Lane but I understand it is a bit far from here and I am sure I would get lost on the tube.

Kate Bush is not everyone's taste, and I am glad for that. If something is too popular I tend to shy away from it. She has a unique talent and a wild imagination. I am sure I will be entertained more at her concert than any other 10 concerts I have been to put together. So there! :box:

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2014, 02:52:25 pm »
I am now sitting in my hotel in West Kensington sipping a bit of Talisker Dark Storm and dreaming of being horizontal for a bit instead of trying to sleep sitting up. Tonight I go looking for a good curry and a good sleep afterward. I would really like to get to Brick Lane but I understand it is a bit far from here and I am sure I would get lost on the tube.

Kate Bush is not everyone's taste, and I am glad for that. If something is too popular I tend to shy away from it. She has a unique talent and a wild imagination. I am sure I will be entertained more at her concert than any other 10 concerts I have been to put together. So there! :box:
Shouldn't be a problem finding good food way closer than Brick Lane - just look for somewhere that's busy.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2014, 05:58:44 pm »
I would really like to get to Brick Lane but I understand it is a bit far from here and I am sure I would get lost on the tube.

When I used to wander round London as a youngster I always used to think that if you saw an Underground sign you weren't lost any more. You could be in some far distant backstreets without a map, but if you saw an Underground sign it meant you could get home again.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2014, 07:16:49 pm »
It turns out I am basically at the east end of Hammersmith. Lots of shops and restaurants here. Now time for a sleep.....

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2014, 02:46:21 am »
Chipmunk or not, its really not a good idea to express the opinion if you are in the UK. She has more talent than 90% of the current top 40 from any country you care to mention, all combined.

You may (or may not) prefer this version.

I think I just heard "WTF" from distant places around the world. At least it is sung with a Yorkshire accent, where Wuthering Heights is written and set in. Where it looks like this:

Being 200 miles from London doesn't stop loads of Americans, Aussies, Japanese... people from everywhere really. We do seem to have a lot of Aussies recently though (about which I'm really not complaining, a nicer bunch of crims you couldn't wish to meet) I wonder if Yorkshire has been on a TV series in Aus this year or something?

I'm sure a lot of our early "Ringbolt passengers" came from that area! ;D

There has been a very funny ,but quite old,series set in Yorkshire,called "The Last of the Summer Wine" on TV here in Oz---Gently hilarious!!

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2014, 03:18:24 am »
With some good English words to be heard:

http://youtu.be/tU98UM2YwwY?t=1m

It's not only Australians that have colourful turns of phrase  :)

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2014, 01:02:09 pm »
I now have a cell phone number should anyone want to call to meet up. PM me for the number. I would put it here but that would invite some problems I think.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2014, 10:02:57 pm »
I can only apologise for Last Of The Summer Wine. Its been on since way before even I was a kid, and it is always shown on a Sunday evening, around that time you are panicking about homework not being done, and being pestered to get to bed by your parents, because it is back to school. Filmed mostly in Holmfirth, you wouldn't think the Tour de France passed through there a few weeks ago would you! No, seriously, it did. Yes, *the* Tour de France.

It passed through that London place too, but it rained there, so meh  ;D

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2014, 12:27:42 am »
So far this visit to England has been very nice. I have had a nice meetup and chat with some good beer with rolycat. Looking forward to another possible meetup with another forum member who contacted me if we can arrange it still.

but of course the highlight was the Kate Bush concert tonight. She and her crew deserve the rave reviews, and she deserves all the kind words anyone has said about her. What else can I say after she gave me a kiss on the cheek!

I have visited some of the places mentioned. As also suggested, no sense buying anything here, wow, the prices are so bad!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 06:48:37 pm by Lightages »

Offline IO390

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2014, 03:49:41 pm »
but of course the highlight was the Kate Bush concert tonight. She and her crew deserve the rave reviews, and she deserves all the kind words anyone has said about her. What else can I say after she gave me a kiss on the cheek!

I know this is an old thread but... I cannot place into words my current level of jealousy.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2014, 07:09:10 pm »
Yes it was fun. I don't think I could have asked for a better visit to London. The weather was perfect, the concert was marvelous, and the food and beer very good.

It is too bad I could not meet up with anyone else, but I can truly say that I have a new friend in England, rolycat.

And as far as Mike's recommendations for good Indian food, he was spot on. That was some of the best I have eaten in my life.

I dropped by a couple of "electronics" stores and was sorely disappointed. I stopped at a Maplins in Hammersmith. I was not impressed at all. There was some Raspberry Pi stuff, Arduino, some cheap tools and multimeters, and some various parts along with a pile of computer parts and crappy headphones. I was specifically looking for a USB 3.0 hub, but they didn't have any. The prices were the same or more than Chile but at least there was a bit better selection.

For future use by anyone traveling to London. Forget bargains, they don't exist. Get a phone chip from EE or O2. Cheap enough and worked very well. I got an EE card, 1gig data, 200 minutes, and 500 text for 10 pounds. If you are there for more than a few days, get an Onion Oyster card for the tube. It will save on time and money for the long run. One week cost me 38 pounds ( if I remember correctly) for zones 1 and 2, unlimited use for one week. If you return the card at the end you get 5 pounds refund.

Plan on 2 days for tourism just in central London. Fish and chips at St. Christopher's pub near London Bridge station was good but what is it with the mushy peas with special herbs?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:43:38 pm by Lightages »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2014, 07:25:59 pm »
If you ever stay close to Heathrow, you've got to try the Pheasant. Best pub grub I've had in a long time:

http://www.pheasant-restaurant.co.uk/styled/page2.html
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:27:39 pm by Wytnucls »

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2014, 07:40:31 pm »
If you are there for more than a few days, get an Onion card for the tube
Wrong food - Oyster, not Onion!

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2014, 07:41:46 pm »
DOH! lol, thanks for the correction. :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf