Author Topic: Voltage Regulator De-coupling (Capacitor Voltages)  (Read 6656 times)

Offline DavidTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Voltage Regulator De-coupling (Capacitor Voltages)
« on: December 27, 2009, 11:46:38 pm »
Hi all,
Just a quick question on de-coupling linear voltage regulators. How important is the voltage rating of the capacitor? I know it is good to "de-rate" the capacitor (e.g. use a 10V for 5V supply) but if you have say a 1.25V supply would using a 16V rated capacitor make any difference at all?

Dave
David
(United Kingdom)

Offline septer012

• Regular Contributor
    • http://www.danielbjohnson.net
Re: Voltage Regulator De-coupling (Capacitor Voltages)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:44:49 am »
I believe just from watching the video Dave did on capacitors, at least in electrolytics its the amount of pressure/strain the capacitor can be under before failing.  So I dont think a 100V capacitor would make any difference in a 5v application vs a 15v capacitor.
Daniel

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 10:43:03 am »
For most applications the voltage rating is of little importance once you do the usual de-rating
If you want to go into ultra high reliability engineering (for something critical that must work for decades for example) then it's a different matter and would require thorough investigation. But that's a whole different ball game.

Dave.

GeekGirl

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:28:36 am »
Hi all,
Just a quick question on de-coupling linear voltage regulators. How important is the voltage rating of the capacitor? I know it is good to "de-rate" the capacitor (e.g. use a 10V for 5V supply) but if you have say a 1.25V supply would using a 16V rated capacitor make any difference at all?

Dave

Depends on if you are doing it for a one off or a mass produced product, one off, price does not matter, mass produced, every 1/2c matters, higher voltage rating is more expensive. I usually double the expected to voltage (to a point, (if I am expecting 340V then I might use a 450V)) ie if I need a 5V then I will choose a 10 or 16V.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 11:42:22 am »
I've found high temperature to be more damaging to electrolytic capacitors than voltage.

Using 105°C capacitors rather than 85°C capacitors is probably better reliability wise than higher voltage.

It depends on where the capacitor is and the power supply. If it's on the output of a linear regulator then there seems little point in de-rating it unless the output voltage is really close to the rated voltage. If its on the input to a linear regulator where the supply voltage can be unstable then it makes more sense to use a higher voltage.

If the capacitor is across the output of a 5V supply then 6.3V is probably fine but if it's a 6V supply then go for 10V.

Offline DavidTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 06:45:00 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. It seems my suspicions were correct  :)
David
(United Kingdom)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 09:07:41 pm »
as said by other people going mad won't help 2 X is a good idea if uncertain but if your after extra hardiness goes for higher temp rated caps.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 01:18:01 pm »
I've thought of another thing that can shorten the life of a capacitor: ripple current, the AC current flowing through the capacitor. If a capacitor is used to decouple a speaker or is placed across the rectifier of a DC supply the ripple current can be considerable which will cause heating and distruction of the capacitor if it's too high. In this case, chose a capacitor with sufficient ripple current rating and the lowest ESR and ESL specifications you can afford.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 01:37:27 pm »
if you suspect high ripple current use as many capacitors in paralel as you can, typically 2-5

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf