Author Topic: Voltmeter for old Eico 1064 power supply (60mm x 60mm)?  (Read 1998 times)

Offline GnatGoSplat

• Regular Contributor
Voltmeter for old Eico 1064 power supply (60mm x 60mm)?
« on: July 27, 2012, 06:54:20 pm »
I have an old EICO 1064 power supply that I've had for probably 20yrs.  I got it with a smashed voltmeter which I had replaced with an LCD digital panel meter and covered the gaps with cardboard.  It really looks ghetto, but it did the job.

This is the exact one I have:
http://www.oldtestequipmentarchives.com/item.htm?item=13

I suddenly got the urge to make it look as close to its original appearance as possible.  I was thinking to replace the digital voltmeter with something a little more authentic.  I'm sure I won't find an original replacement voltmeter for it anyplace since it's over 40yrs old, but I thought maybe a generic one of the right size would look right at home there.  Only problem is I'm having a heck of a time finding a 60mm square analog meter with rounded edges.  I've searched eBay and Google, and found nothing.

Any other places I can look?
Shawn

Offline Dawn

• Regular Contributor
Re: Voltmeter for old Eico 1064 power supply (60mm x 60mm)?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 09:09:51 pm »
The three main manufactuers of that time were Hoyt,Crompton, and Modutec, besides GE and Weston which aren't going to be in an eico and didn't depart from their classic forms. I don't know who's around anymore. The upper 20 count of both meters isn't a typical off-the-shelf scale, although ideal for a 200 count DPM as you've probably found. Sixty MM is about 2 3/4" so it's a tough call to say it's an import. Have you popped the cover to see if the OEM is printed with the actual FS ua or ma of the meter? Was the original meter an actual volt meter or did it have an external series resistor as part of the volt meter circuit? Hoyt was well known for inexpensive, direct reading iron vane volt meters that was found on a lot of american made service grade equipment. Also try the antique radio radio forum, someone might have a lead or a junker.

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop

Offline GnatGoSplat

• Regular Contributor
Re: Voltmeter for old Eico 1064 power supply (60mm x 60mm)?
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 01:40:36 pm »
I don't have the original meter.  Then lens was physically smashed and was missing the needle, so I imagine when I removed it, I probably tossed it (hard to remember back 20yrs).  However, the ammeter only says EICO on it with no OEM brand name marked on it anywhere.

Thanks for the link, FenderBender.  You're a better eBay searcher than me.  I had my results sorted by price ascending so I gave up after about 10-pages.

I'm starting to think maybe I should just replace both meters with LED digital panel meters since that would cost less than one analog meter and at least both meters would be identical.
Shawn

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf