Author Topic: VW firmware engineers morally bankrupt??  (Read 161645 times)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: VW firmware engineers morally bankrupt??
« Reply #800 on: September 21, 2016, 03:43:48 pm »
Yes, a very sad state of affairs. Hopefully there will still be some option when it's time to replace my current car. People just want to drive their living room couch any more. There's no passion for cars. Not when the most boring car ont he planet, the Toyota Camry, is selling like hotcakes AND dares market itself as "bold". Can't be bothered with all that 'work', they need hands free to be able to text while driving. I've always said, if more people had manual transmissions, there would be fewer accidents - because you can't just sit back and daydream, you have the DRIVE the car.

These days even sport cars come with air condition, power steering, audio systems, and automatic transmission (up/down paddles don't count). Humanity is doomed.
Drain the swamp.

Offline tatus1969

• Super Contributor
  • Resistance is futile - We Are The Watt.
    • keenlab
« Reply #801 on: September 21, 2016, 03:46:51 pm »
Yes, a very sad state of affairs. Hopefully there will still be some option when it's time to replace my current car. People just want to drive their living room couch any more. There's no passion for cars. Not when the most boring car ont he planet, the Toyota Camry, is selling like hotcakes AND dares market itself as "bold". Can't be bothered with all that 'work', they need hands free to be able to text while driving. I've always said, if more people had manual transmissions, there would be fewer accidents - because you can't just sit back and daydream, you have the DRIVE the car.

These days even sport cars come with air condition, power steering, audio systems, and automatic transmission (up/down paddles don't count). Humanity is doomed.
not the one tha I am looking for
We Are The Watt - Resistance Is Futile!

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #802 on: September 21, 2016, 04:18:43 pm »

Last I heard, these cars are hard to street license here. It falls under the category of an experimental car and the state issues only a hundred or so licenses in that category every year.
Drain the swamp.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #803 on: September 21, 2016, 05:34:56 pm »

Last I heard, these cars are hard to street license here. It falls under the category of an experimental car and the state issues only a hundred or so licenses in that category every year.
Ah. Good old state protectionism in "The land of the free". Land of crony capitalists or mafia unions more like.

In New Jersey it is even illegal to pump your own petrol! (gasoline).

Offline tatus1969

• Super Contributor
    • keenlab
« Reply #804 on: September 21, 2016, 06:58:21 pm »

this one has a (pimped) Honda Civic engine and achieves Euro 5 emission limits. the mfgr constantly has to upgrade the model to keep up with EU safety regulations, but yes it is street legal.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #805 on: September 22, 2016, 04:58:48 am »
Just checked the DYI car street licensing of my state. Apparently the annual quota is now sufficient to satisfy the demand. If I got it correctly,  cars in that category are exempt from emission compliance ('smog').

http://bauerltd.com/the-magical-sb100-registering-your-car-in-california/
Drain the swamp.

Offline tatus1969

• Super Contributor
    • keenlab
« Reply #806 on: September 22, 2016, 07:21:26 am »
Just checked the DYI car street licensing of my state. Apparently the annual quota is now sufficient to satisfy the demand. If I got it correctly,  cars in that category are exempt from emission compliance ('smog').

http://bauerltd.com/the-magical-sb100-registering-your-car-in-california/
That one in my picture is not DIY, it is series manufactured and sold by Ariel Motor Company in UK. It just looks like DIY, but that has a different reason. They made it as lightweight as possible by leaving out everything that is not needed for acceleration, braking or steering. It weighs only 500kg and has 350BHP. You can imagine the acceleration, it outperforms almost all street legal, series production supercars and bikes: 2.9secs for 0~100km/h. I have driven it a few times, I have no words to describe that.

Offline meeder

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #807 on: September 23, 2016, 04:13:40 pm »
Ariel Atom V8 :)
https://youtu.be/9zNPFcn3pAw

500bhp in a 550kg car.
https://youtu.be/SIiWhWpzFQQ

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ZTE A2017G met Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 04:16:27 pm by meeder »

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #808 on: September 23, 2016, 04:23:38 pm »
You know... i would prefer a car i could also use when the sun is not shining ;)
(By the way, nice picture of the Atom you found there. Putting tiny USA flags on a British sports car... tsk, tsk...)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 04:26:24 pm by elgonzo »

Offline Brutte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #809 on: September 28, 2016, 10:59:19 am »
Volkswagen was awarded an Ig-Nobel prize in Chemistry this year for:

CHEMISTRY PRIZE [GERMANY] — Volkswagen, for solving the problem of excessive automobile pollution emissions by automatically, electromechanically producing fewer emissions whenever the cars are being tested.

Unfortunately none of VW inventors attended the ceremony.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #811 on: February 28, 2017, 10:05:19 am »
That's a juicy tidbit. There are a few reports of internal papers all pointing to a quite active involvement of Audi. Audi's board denied any allegations from the start, but they can't do that any longer with all the revelations.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #812 on: March 02, 2017, 04:45:01 pm »
That one in my picture is not DIY, it is series manufactured and sold by Ariel Motor Company in UK.

That makes the guy in the background wearing the Trump "Make America Grate" hat even more poignant  ;D

Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf