Author Topic: Wanton Destruction  (Read 8160 times)

Offline SionynTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Wanton Destruction
« on: January 27, 2011, 05:25:52 pm »
 ;D

eecs guy

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Wanton Destruction
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 07:29:41 pm »
what is this? a PIC fanboys vids?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 08:37:19 pm »
Pretty impressive, nevertheless.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline CafeLogic

• Regular Contributor
    • Cafe Logic
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 08:41:36 pm »
Are you crazy? ATMegas are like 4 leaf clovers these days. 7 years bad luck for you!

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 10:48:27 pm »
i mean i dont get it. how on earth a chip explodes with just division by zero and stack overflow. nonsense! the firework is after effect editing if i see it correctly.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:51:51 pm »
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline glossywhite

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 12:28:40 pm »
i mean i dont get it. how on earth a chip explodes with just division by zero and stack overflow. nonsense! the firework is after effect editing if i see it correctly.

That's real, certainly not Ae.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 10:04:16 pm »
I've done a similar thing before but I used a lower voltage and higher current: 60V@5A to destroy an old FPGA in a square package. I soldered all the pins together at opposite ends and connected the positive and negative. It glowed red hot until the middle of the ceramic package melted and the molten die fell lout leaving behind a perfectly square hole. Unfortunately I didn't film it, otherwise I would've posted it.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 10:07:06 pm »
mmm wontons
-Time

Offline the_raptor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 05:19:52 am »
Is the chip packaging failing because of sudden thermal stress?

I have never seen a failure like that before and am impressed you can blow the top of the packaging away and see the raw silicon like that.

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 07:13:31 am »
Would be nice if we got some high speed slow motion takes

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 11:34:04 am »
That's just not enough voltage ....
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2372.msg32262#msg32262

Agreed. The best destruction I have seen didn't just blow the top off the chip - it blew the whole thing to bits. There was some of the internal leads (from the pins to the silicone) just hanging in mid-air but the rest was spread around the inside of the case.

Neil
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 01:46:52 pm »
Would be nice if we got some high speed slow motion takes
sharp eye! thats the "after effect" i was talking about. and still, this video is misleading by saying /0 and stack ovflow. double post... its nonsense! its the overvoltage video! see the other chip next to atmel screwed up too?

Offline glossywhite

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 04:19:19 pm »
Noone can prove it was After Effects - things DO spark, ya know? I have had many chips blow up in this fashion in my younger days, so to just immediately dismiss it as creative editing is a little naive. Chips DO blow their caps off, due to a sudden increase in heat within the (soon to be) cavity between the top of the die and the surrounding top of the package. It's elementary physics, nothing amazing.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 04:33:46 pm »
Noone can prove it was After Effects - things DO spark, ya know? I have had many chips blow up in this fashion in my younger days, so to just immediately dismiss it as creative editing is a little naive. Chips DO blow their caps off, due to a sudden increase in heat within the (soon to be) cavity between the top of the die and the surrounding top of the package. It's elementary physics, nothing amazing.

I have seen an op amp crack the case in two  and let the magic smoke out once with a few sparks and a bang. There was a sharpe spike on one of the inputs that caused the internal protection diodes to go short circuit. These then conducted shorting the power supplies out and it went up about 3 seconds later.

Neil
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline glossywhite

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 05:03:47 pm »
If you haven't blown up chips, capacitors and made resistors glow intentionally, then I seriously doubt you're a true electronics engineer with a passion for exploring EVERYTHING about components, including how they fare under crazy conditions. If you ain't seen a chip blow up, you're not living, and you're not gonna know the signature signs of how a component reacts to crazy volts/current!

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 05:28:51 pm »
keep it to yourself.

Offline glossywhite

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 05:34:16 pm »
keep it to yourself.

Nope, you're alright - I'll express myself how I wish, thanks.

PS: Shafri - it wasn't a comment aimed at you - it is my personal opinion. I've heard you antagonising people with intentional  (and obvious) smartarse remarks, time after time, and never pulled you up about it, so to assume I'm aiming this at you? Nope.

Lighten up.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:38:56 pm by glossywhite »

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 07:50:14 pm »
I thought I could gate an SCR on the highside of 3 kV with a 15V 555 timer variation in monostable mode and no isolation for the driver.  It was meant to be permanent but the timer exploded into a thousand little pieces and there wasnt even pins left in the breadboard...

lesson learned.

The irony is that I wanted it just for one shot and I got one shot out of it...lol
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:51:57 pm by Time »
-Time

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf