General > General Technical Chat

WARNING !! Faulty Laptop Batteries...

(1/10) > >>

GlennSprigg:
One of my main Laptops, (that I actually love!), is an Acer Aspire R7 571 and recently it wouldn't power-up.
Even with the power-cord attached, and the LED's showing power attached, & turned on. (More on that LATER!).
Disassembly, (yep... with a long flat internal battery), soon revealed the problem with the battery-bank. Photo...
https://imgur.com/a/OsuHLuH
The original, which was a Lithium-Ion (which is typical/ok generally), was bulging badly & about to burst!!!
This Laptop was brand new, about 2+1/2 to 3 years ago. Generally, I leave the power-supply plugged in and
turned on all the time. I'm not sure if this should/could cause a charging problem though ??
The replacement Pack, (obtained from Interstate here in Australia), is actually a Lithium-Polymer type.

Researching on the Net, revealed that the Lithium-Ion packs can suffer from this, like some SmartPhones have.
Where-as the Lithium-Polymer packs do not!!?? However, they also say that Lithium-Polymer has slightly less
'grunt' and can often cost more. If so, then I would RATHER that !  :)

Anyway, to finish off as a side-note, from my 1st paragraph, I was thankful for YouTube before Re-Assembly !!
The battery-pack has additional sensors inside, and the MotherBoard has some nefarious(?) functions that
no-one can explain, whereby you can NOT just put a new battery in and power it up !?
Firstly, there is a microswitch on the MotherBoard that has to be pressed for 4 secs afterwards, with the
power-cord unplugged, and then the Laptop UNTOUCHED/operated/plugged-in for up to 20 minutes...
THEN, (usually) upon 1st powering up,  you have to press the Power-On button and hold it, for at least 45
seconds. Upon releasing it, it will either start up straight away, or after another brief press...
Evidently, it's been the Bane of many a confused & frustrated owner !!!   :(

Nusa:
The full name would be "lithium-ion polymer battery". Which subset or abbreviation of those words gets used depends on the writer. Your original battery was probably of this type as well, since virtually all flexible pouch-type cells are.

janoc:
Lithium-polymer is the same chemistry as Lithium-ion, it is typically a misnomer meant to denote these flexible pouch cells (as opposed to e.g. 18650 cells).

There exists a type of battery with an actual polymer electrolyte but those are quite rare.

wraper:
Read what's actually written on batteries. Both of them are lithium polymer.

james_s:
It's quite common for these to bulge, especially if they are overcharged or over-discharged. It can also happen if they are overheated, one of the guys I occasionally fly RC airplanes with left a battery on the seat of his car on a hot day and it puffed up like a balloon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version