Author Topic: Web app for PCB design checklists and tests (Feedback)  (Read 892 times)

Offline 5upercircuitsTopic starter

• Contributor
  • A human - beautiful but full of flaws
Web app for PCB design checklists and tests (Feedback)
« on: April 01, 2019, 01:26:19 pm »
I've worked in a number of companies and all of them have used Excel Lists to create PCB design checklists (schematic, placement, layout, DFM, etc.). Some also had very long checklists that were basically part of the company's history.

I created Murphymeter (Highly Efficient Checklists for Electrical Engineers). First, because I was tired of having to work through long excel lists that don't explain the issue or even what you are supposed to do. Second, with the hope to have more publicly available checklists to create a place to exchange practical electronics knowledge - much like a wiki but in a more structured and ready-to-use format.

Here is the main link (for tldr; people): https://murphymeter.com/

The specialty about Murphymeter is that you don't create and maintain lists. Instead you create and maintain a hierarchical structure (kind of like your filesystem with folders and files). The hierarchical structure should be similar to the functional parts of your project (e.g. DC/DC-converter, digital inputs, etc.). Then, you compile the hierarchical structure (with the help of tags) into multiple checklists. This concept should make it easier to build and maintain lists of tests and checklists while at the same time make it easy to work through it -> "compiled" to list format.

The reason for this post is, that I developed Murphymeter up to the current beta state and I would really appreciate it if you could give me some feedback. Here are some things I'm looking for:
- Do you get the hierarchical concept to list concept?
- Do you think there is any use for such a tool / concept?
- Are you even working with checklists (hobby or professional)?

I'm really grateful for any kind of feedback (positive, negative, just your 2 cents, etc.).

The tool is stable (with a few minor bugs), so if you want to give it a run, you can sign up. But, you can also have a look at one of the public projects/checklists instead: https://murphymeter.com/projects/2/

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: Web app for PCB design checklists and tests (Feedback)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 01:40:52 pm »

Murphy will always win, no matter what.

That said....

I like it, expecially for beginners. The more you design boards the better you get at it, so experience people could see your lists as method to slow down or not necessary thing to do.
Anyway even if I tick a checkbox on a checklist, only my scope connected to a prototype will tell me if the problem is solved of not.

I surely will look into it.  :-+, because I feel myself as a beginner with PCB design.

Oh you could try to integrate it with github issue/comment commit list.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 07:03:04 am by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: 5upercircuits

Offline 5upercircuitsTopic starter

• Contributor
  • A human - beautiful but full of flaws
Re: Web app for PCB design checklists and tests (Feedback)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 07:37:13 pm »
Haha, you're right Murphy will probably always have the upper hand. The idea with the name was that you could measure the "murphyness" of your project and hopefully reduce it  ;)

Yeah, only proper measurement will tell if something works or not. Checklists can only help to adopt best practices that will help you to avoid common pitfalls. However, I think another use case might be to create tests as checklists e.g.: "Measure if the power supply is 5V", "Make sure the risetime of the digital signal is at least 50ns", etc. Potentially also with the possibility to attach pictures and data from the measurements for documentation. It's an idea I've been having in the backlog for Murphymeter, maybe even automated tests  :)

That's an awesome idea to integrate it with GitHub. I haven't thought of that! I'll defnitely look into it  :)

Thank you for your feedback :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf