Author Topic: Server Error Reports  (Read 719106 times)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Server Error Reports
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2018, 12:16:21 pm »
Hi gnif
Search tab result problems (didn't try the text box)

Normal search, not Advanced search.
Search for : transformer winding

Scroll through P1
Hit Next or P2 and the page defaults to a Revise Search page, not the next page as one expects.
Similar results with the page menu at either top or bottom of page. Got the 2nd page once only but never a further page.

FYI, tried it - Doesn't happen with FF.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline clucas

• Contributor
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2018, 12:08:11 am »
my apologies if this is in the wrong thread but when I click on the 'Dodgy Technology' thread, the page is blank. This has been happening for about a week or so. Is the thread still active?

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2018, 12:32:27 am »
The dodgy-technology main-level forum has been giving a blank page for about 24 hours.

Jon

Me too, still.
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2018, 01:56:28 am »
my apologies if this is in the wrong thread but when I click on the 'Dodgy Technology' thread, the page is blank. This has been happening for about a week or so. Is the thread still active?
The dodgy-technology main-level forum has been giving a blank page for about 24 hours.

Jon

Me too, still.

Yes.  It's a known problem.

The threads can still be accessed directly by going through a search, but we can't get the topic list up.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2018, 05:44:48 am »
Oh, the irony.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2018, 06:00:13 am »
I access this forum through various places PCs, tablet,smartphone and notebook, before the upgrade, the forum remembered and maintain the exact list of unread posts or my subscribed threads at every devices I used.

Now, it lost it, I get different list on different devices.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2018, 08:44:25 am »

It's back.

I don't know if that's a good thing or not.....

Offline gnifTopic starter

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2018, 08:52:18 am »
I fixed it, took a few hours of debugging. The seo friendly plugin doesn't support UTF-8 properly and was trying to insert a duplicated record into a table inside an output buffer callback, as such a white page was generated with no errors, nor debug logging of the fault.

The solution was to strip all non ASCII 7-bit character from SEO urls.

The following users thanked this post: ez24, nugglix, BrianHG

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2018, 09:16:03 am »
On Tapatalk the form names are no longer displayed, only the descriptions.

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2018, 09:26:17 am »
On Tapatalk the form names are no longer displayed, only the descriptions.

When did this start?

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2018, 09:28:29 am »
Not sure, only noticed it today.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2018, 01:59:51 am »
I fixed it, took a few hours of debugging. The seo friendly plugin doesn't support UTF-8 properly and was trying to insert a duplicated record into a table inside an output buffer callback, as such a white page was generated with no errors, nor debug logging of the fault.

Wow, glad somebody understands all this php and SQL stuff.  I run a web store, and have a very rudimentary understanding of it, but just enough to be dangerous.

Thanks for fixing that forum/thread!

Jon

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2018, 07:02:36 am »

Wow, not a sysadmin friendly plugin. Thanks for tracking that down and sorting it out, gnif.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2018, 10:41:19 pm »
For some reason the main site and the forum are extremely slow with waits to close to half a minute to timeouts today. Test with other sites are all OK.
I go through the Toronto hub I think. Will try VPN to US site and see.
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2018, 10:41:38 pm »
Not so much errors gnif but at times the forum is very slow to refresh, accept a post or just general viewing.
Might need a  :-/O somewhere.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2018, 10:55:42 pm »
There is currently an outage with one of the two servers, looks like a bad route which I am investigating.

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2018, 11:13:25 pm »
There is currently an outage with one of the two servers, looks like a bad route which I am investigating.

Fixed, we are now back at full capacity. One of the servers had been null routed as a bug in SMF4M was being abused to proxy redirects to external websites.
The site became slow because both servers could still see and talk to each other, as such they had no way to determine that one had lost connectivity. Traffic had to timeout before it would be sent to the other server, so no outage, just slow.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, tautech, richnormand

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2018, 02:05:10 am »

Fixed, we are now back at full capacity. One of the servers had been null routed as a bug in SMF4M was being abused to proxy redirects to external websites.
The site became slow because both servers could still see and talk to each other, as such they had no way to determine that one had lost connectivity. Traffic had to timeout before it would be sent to the other server, so no outage, just slow.

Thanks gnif
So that's a win already for the dual server redundancy. Albeit in the weird way made it slower than it otherwise wouldn't have been. But better slow than offline.

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2018, 02:10:16 am »

Thanks gnif
So that's a win already for the dual server redundancy. Albeit in the weird way made it slower than it otherwise wouldn't have been. But better slow than offline.

Normally with a server outage the up server will see the other server is no longer responding and will take over it's duties, but because the data center had null routed the external traffic, the two servers could not see there was a fault condition. In what would be considered a normal outage there would be no visible performance impact on the hosting.

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2018, 02:17:07 am »
I couldn't get through at all but when I went to an external site it showed some places getting through and others not.  Seemed to be no rhyme or reason to physical locations worldwide that connected and didn't so I just waited it out.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2018, 02:38:49 am »
Normally with a server outage the up server will see the other server is no longer responding and will take over it's duties, but because the data center had null routed the external traffic, the two servers could not see there was a fault condition. In what would be considered a normal outage there would be no visible performance impact on the hosting.

So in this case, out of curiosity what would have made it act "slower"?

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2018, 02:49:06 am »

So in this case, out of curiosity what would have made it act "slower"?

We have two IPv4 addresses listed in DNS for this website, both for load balancing and in the event something like what happened here occurs. In normal operation both IP addresses go to a single load balancer which then routes them to one of the two servers. During a fault the faulted server's IP address will be taken over by the still working server, allowing normal operation, but as stated above, this did not occur due to internal communication between servers still being fully functional.

The delay was because of this design, one IP address to the world was offline. Your browser is designed to try to contact each IP address listed in DNS, failure to contact one after a timeout (normally 30 seconds), it will try the next, it was this timeout that was causing the slow behavior. Just like when you try to go to a domain that is offline, there might be 30-60 seconds before the browser gives up.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:50:38 am by gnif »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2018, 12:28:16 pm »
Something's not right.  :-//
502's off and on for a couple of days and mainly in the evenings AU time, then this just a mo ago when trying to refresh the main forum page:

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Generally works fine after a couple of minutes and loads just as fast as normal.  :-//
Something needs your magic touch gnif.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2018, 12:29:36 pm »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: July 11, 2018, 03:19:07 am »
gnif, a page that just won't load or any of the posts in it.  :-//
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-technical-support-join-in-eevblog/msg1663322/#new

That's page 43. The first page in the thread and others load just fine. I can see who's posted in the Test Equipment board and then check their posts to view it and then Reply from within that member posts page.
Seen this problem for a couple of hours at least now so ~midday Sydney time onwards.
TIA
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf