Author Topic: Server Error Reports  (Read 728333 times)

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Server Error Reports
« Reply #575 on: March 05, 2023, 11:13:31 am »
$ has a special meaning in EEVblog forum.  If you paste the link the URL, the SMF editor will truncate the link, indeed.

If you want to post a link containing a $ character, you have to post it first, then come back and manually edit the link to correct the address, so it will show like this:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/

It's a SMF pitfall in the forum software, preferably to avoid the dollar sign inside any EEVblog titles or URLs.

Anyway, AFAIK this thread is for server down reports only (will send automatic notifications to admins when there is activity here).  Please open a new subject to discuss about any forum's software issues you may found.

The following users thanked this post: davidut5

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #576 on: March 05, 2023, 11:27:55 pm »
Sorry for off topic but in SMF use the URL (Insert Hyperlink) button

Code: [Select]
[url]https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/[/url]

OR if you want it to read nicer

[url=https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/]$20 LCR ESR transistor checker project/[/url]

This is also a good way to mask really long URL's that also break fairly often because then SMF gets that regardless of characters it is a URL
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #577 on: March 06, 2023, 05:22:25 pm »
I'm seeing a lot of icons disappearing today.  Like all the "New" badges, peoples flags/avatars.

In some cases a CTRL+Refresh works, in many it doesn't.

I expect something has changed and my cache is invalid.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #578 on: March 06, 2023, 05:53:53 pm »
I'm seeing a lot of icons disappearing today.  Like all the "New" badges, peoples flags/avatars.
It can also be due to intermediate servers, especially your local ISP, injecting RST packets due to very high local load.

(Once upon a time, they only dropped packets due to congestion, but ever since file sharing, large downloads, and HTTPS (TLS-secured transfers being impossible to peek into by ISPs), at least some ISPs do do that even if it is basically very nasty behaviour.  Browsers see it as a failed transfer, and don't retry.)

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #579 on: March 06, 2023, 07:07:21 pm »
Site partly working for me, but images and graphics missing, basically seeing text only right now.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #580 on: March 07, 2023, 01:01:25 am »
Yep embedded images are broken (external using the IMG tag) and internal images are download only and not showing on the forum proper.

I did have an issue on two PC's viewing the site where it seemed to drop some of the CSS images too in particular the 'new' one on the forum index and unread replies.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #581 on: March 07, 2023, 07:46:33 am »
Scrap that seems that Adblock Plus and the Top header adclick from doubleclick.net is misbehaving so it is a case of suck up the adds to see the actual forum or linked pics.

Any thoughts on this @Dave?

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #582 on: March 07, 2023, 09:17:06 am »
Scrap that seems tht Adblock Plus and the Top header adclick from doubleclick.net is misbehaving so it is a case of suck up the adds to see the actual forum or linked pics.
Any thoughts on this @Dave?

No idea, I don't have ad block.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #583 on: March 07, 2023, 09:22:31 am »
No more OT after this I promise Gnif  >:D

Seems AdblockPlus got an 'upgrade' yesterday and is breaking SMF's image handling and CSS so not a site issue  :phew:

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #584 on: March 08, 2023, 10:45:22 pm »
It's not an Adblock issue.
I have the same problem on Brave. Sometimes it's the "Projects" page, sometimes it's the "Beginners", sometimes it's another page.
But it's on/off. Sometimes it's normal, then the icons disappear, a bit later the icons are back, but have disappeared somewhere else...
I thought it was an update running, but after two days I'm no longer certain.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #585 on: March 09, 2023, 12:23:00 am »
It's not an Adblock issue.
I have the same problem on Brave. Sometimes it's the "Projects" page, sometimes it's the "Beginners", sometimes it's another page.
But it's on/off. Sometimes it's normal, then the icons disappear, a bit later the icons are back, but have disappeared somewhere else...
I thought it was an update running, but after two days I'm no longer certain.

There is some evidence of cached items blipping in and out from time to time without the filters being changed as most ad blockers just mask items rather than not download them. Discussion in the link here lest we irk GNIF  >:D

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/anyone-else-seeing-small-images-from-forum-not-appearing-i-e-mostly-text-only/

Switched off the bit where EEVBlog was listed in 'Easylist' definitions file and no further issues.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #586 on: March 09, 2023, 08:41:16 am »
For the last few days the orange "New" button is missing from the unread threads. Is that just with me or does anyone else miss them too?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #587 on: March 14, 2023, 01:54:07 pm »
For the last few days the orange "New" button is missing from the unread threads. Is that just with me or does anyone else miss them too?

McBryce.

Noticed that too. Seems someone slipped a too-general rule into one of the adblock lists.  For now, if using UBP, add this to your custom filter:

Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.eevblog.com#]www.eevblog.com#[/url]@#[data-pagespeed-url-hash][onload^="pagespeed"]
...Ah found it, it's in EasyList.  Someone want to report it?

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #588 on: March 19, 2023, 03:49:01 pm »
Sorry if there is a more appropriate thread for this.
Can others replicate this image display problem:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/post-a-picture-of-a-cat!/msg4764302/#msg4764302
Clicking the thumbnail shows a different image, a SPICE circuit simulation instead of a picture of a cat. Well, maybe the cat isn't so important, but there was a problem years ago with image corruption and it's disturbing if it has returned. If so I think other images will also be affected.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #589 on: March 19, 2023, 05:56:52 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/post-a-picture-of-a-cat!/msg4764302/#msg4764302
Clicking the thumbnail shows a different image, a SPICE circuit simulation instead of a picture of a cat. Well, maybe the cat isn't so important, but there was a problem years ago with image corruption and it's disturbing if it has returned. If so I think other images will also be affected.
Confirmed.  I did see the original cat picture, and it was in my cache, but when I force-reloaded the large image from the server, it was replaced with a SPICE diagram.

To repeat, https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/post-a-picture-of-a-cat!/?action=dlattach;attach=1741547;image (IMG_20230316_110455672_HDR.jpg) used to be a JPEG image of a cat on a shelf looking down, but is now a PNG format SPICE diagram.  The cat post involved was not edited.

The poster is the same in both cases.  The original image was attached to this message (only attachment), and the replacement image attached to this message (first attachment, charger-0v.png).

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #590 on: March 19, 2023, 06:48:49 pm »
Confirmed.  I did see the original cat picture, and it was in my cache, but when I force-reloaded the large image from the server, it was replaced with a SPICE diagram.

To repeat, https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/post-a-picture-of-a-cat!/?action=dlattach;attach=1741547;image (IMG_20230316_110455672_HDR.jpg) used to be a JPEG image of a cat on a shelf looking down, but is now a PNG format SPICE diagram.  The cat post involved was not edited.

The poster is the same in both cases.  The original image was attached to this message (only attachment), and the replacement image attached to this message (first attachment, charger-0v.png).

No matter were I click or what I refresh, I see a brown+black cat under some LED lights, just that the picture is wrongly rotated with +90.

LATER EDIT:
------------------
- Using FF+Kubuntu+logged into EEVblog, I see the +90* rotated cat picture, either thumbnail, or enlarge inside forum, or only pic in another tab.

- Using LibreWolf (LibreWolf == Firefox with some stripped away tracing) and no EEVblog login, I see a schematic with 4 plots.  ???
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 06:57:22 pm by RoGeorge »

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #591 on: March 19, 2023, 07:11:23 pm »
No matter were I click or what I refresh, I see a brown+black cat under some LED lights, just that the picture is wrongly rotated with +90.
Open the large image into a new tab, then press Shift while clicking the Refresh button.  This causes a force-reload.  Just clicking Refresh reloads the image from your local cache.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #592 on: March 19, 2023, 07:26:02 pm »
It's the prevalent SMF 1st attachment bug introduced with a forum upgrade a few years back. It bites in a couple ways and at this time the only work around is to NOT use the 1st attachment < I haven't for some years.  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #593 on: March 19, 2023, 07:59:42 pm »
Open the large image into a new tab, then press Shift while clicking the Refresh button.  This causes a force-reload.  Just clicking Refresh reloads the image from your local cache.

Might be something else, now it's the wrong picture to my FF, too, with or without refresh, with or without shift click.

An hour ago, Firefox+logged into EEVblog was showing the correct cat picture, while LibreWolf+not logged in was showing the wrong simulation picture.

the only work around is to NOT use the 1st attachment

I don't understand.  What exactly to not use?  What's a "1st attachment"?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #594 on: March 19, 2023, 08:21:59 pm »

Might be something else, now it's the wrong picture to my FF, too, with or without refresh, with or without shift click.

An hour ago, Firefox+logged into EEVblog was showing the correct cat picture, while LibreWolf+not logged in was showing the wrong simulation picture.

the only work around is to NOT use the 1st attachment

I don't understand.  What exactly to not use?  What's a "1st attachment"?
See attached screen capture.  ;)
Forget the dragg and drop option and only manually attach files of the permitted types and always skip the first (Choose File) attachment box.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #595 on: March 20, 2023, 01:25:20 am »

Might be time to vacuum the cat fur out of the site server.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #596 on: March 20, 2023, 03:16:32 am »
All of this is nothing to do with the server or SMF (proper) and everything to do with a few Image handling addons that got installed several years ago which broke some of the code when installed on top of each other.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #597 on: March 20, 2023, 07:19:57 am »
Nope, the exact same thing.

When you load anything over http or https protocol, the server can specify an expiry time, telling the browser how long the resource should stay unchanged.  For the above file, the forum serves such an Expires header a year in the future, and also a Last-Modified header describing when the resource was last modified.

When you click Reload/Refresh, the browser only checks its own local cache; at most, it can send a HEAD request, which provides only the headers and none of the file data.

Thing is, the headers did not change.  They still reflect the original image file, claiming MIME type image/jpeg and file name IMG_20230316_110455672_HDR.jpg.  The actual data, however, is of image/png type, and not a JPEG file at all.

So, the browser just saw its cached data still valid, and re-showed the cached image.  When you do a force-reload, Shift+Reload, you tell the browser to skip the cache and header check, and do a GET request from the source (or proxy), which provided the new content.

Depending on your browser cache settings, when you closed that Firefox session (last open Firefox window), it discarded that cached image.  So, when you next opened Firefox and tried to look at the image, Firefox dutifully did a GET request because it didn't have it cached anymore, and bang, you see the replaced image.

You can trust me on this, because I can tell you exactly what is happening and how, even though I have never had access to an SMF implementation (source code).  It runs on Nginx, and the image/attachment provider part is written in PHP – the headers I receive with the above URL tell me that.  The image/attachment metadata in the database is not corrupted –– it still exists for both the old image and the new image, only the old image binary data was replaced with the new image binary data; you can verify that by looking at the headers of both the old (now switched) image, and the image that replaced it.  I am not sure whether the binary data is stored in the database or in binary files, so I cannot tell for sure whether it is the data itself or just the reference to the data that got changed for the old image, but I'd bet it is the reference; and the root bug is in the database query updating the binary data reference to the attachment after the upload completes.  Instead of updating just the one entry, it ends up sometimes updating the reference also for an older image.  Again, image metadata (format, file name) are not similarly confused, so this must be a separate update.

(I do have a decade of commercial development experience in this stuff; I did it for years before switching back to academia, but still have kept up with the (rather small) changes since then.)

Offline gnifTopic starter

• Administrator
« Reply #598 on: April 20, 2023, 06:57:43 am »
Please be aware that I am performing some general system maintenance and there may be minor interruptions during this.

Edit: Work has been completed.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 07:07:37 am by gnif »

Offline gnifTopic starter

• Administrator
« Reply #599 on: April 20, 2023, 07:23:27 am »
Nope, the exact same thing.

When you load anything over http or https protocol, the server can specify an expiry time, telling the browser how long the resource should stay unchanged.  For the above file, the forum serves such an Expires header a year in the future, and also a Last-Modified header describing when the resource was last modified.

When you click Reload/Refresh, the browser only checks its own local cache; at most, it can send a HEAD request, which provides only the headers and none of the file data.

Thing is, the headers did not change.  They still reflect the original image file, claiming MIME type image/jpeg and file name IMG_20230316_110455672_HDR.jpg.  The actual data, however, is of image/png type, and not a JPEG file at all.

So, the browser just saw its cached data still valid, and re-showed the cached image.  When you do a force-reload, Shift+Reload, you tell the browser to skip the cache and header check, and do a GET request from the source (or proxy), which provided the new content.

Depending on your browser cache settings, when you closed that Firefox session (last open Firefox window), it discarded that cached image.  So, when you next opened Firefox and tried to look at the image, Firefox dutifully did a GET request because it didn't have it cached anymore, and bang, you see the replaced image.

You can trust me on this, because I can tell you exactly what is happening and how, even though I have never had access to an SMF implementation (source code).  It runs on Nginx, and the image/attachment provider part is written in PHP – the headers I receive with the above URL tell me that.  The image/attachment metadata in the database is not corrupted –– it still exists for both the old image and the new image, only the old image binary data was replaced with the new image binary data; you can verify that by looking at the headers of both the old (now switched) image, and the image that replaced it.  I am not sure whether the binary data is stored in the database or in binary files, so I cannot tell for sure whether it is the data itself or just the reference to the data that got changed for the old image, but I'd bet it is the reference; and the root bug is in the database query updating the binary data reference to the attachment after the upload completes.  Instead of updating just the one entry, it ends up sometimes updating the reference also for an older image.  Again, image metadata (format, file name) are not similarly confused, so this must be a separate update.

(I do have a decade of commercial development experience in this stuff; I did it for years before switching back to academia, but still have kept up with the (rather small) changes since then.)

This issue was thought to be fixed, I have just checked on disk and I can confirm that the file on disk contains the incorrect data. The file is indeed a PNG of a schematic, but the database thinks it is a JPEG.

The last time we had this issue it was identified to be a bug with the clustering filesystem (GlusterFS) which was causing inodes to be duplicated, upgrading the software resolved this and I do not see any duplicated inodes reported this time either.

If anyone figures out a reliable way to reproduce the fault and can provide step by step instructions so that I can dig deeper it would be greatly appreciated.
Edit: I have also contacted the OP of the message to try to obtain an exact copy of the image that it should be for further diagnostics

Edit2: It gets even stranger... I found the post the replaced image comes from, and it's even from the same user.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/resistor-y-junction-calculations/msg4764878/#msg4764878

Edit3: Even stranger again... I pulled the two files from the server, they are the identical image, but they are different on disk. One has been altered/reprocessed? Starting to suspect a buggy image optimisation plugin or something.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 09:16:58 am by gnif »

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge, MK14, 2N3055

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf