Author Topic: Server Error Reports  (Read 727810 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Server Error Reports
« Reply #450 on: April 19, 2021, 01:16:24 am »
Is there still some unsolved performance/speed issues Dave ?
Forum seems pretty snappy again.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #451 on: April 19, 2021, 01:47:05 am »
Is there still some unsolved performance/speed issues Dave ?
Forum seems pretty snappy again.

The redundant server box still isn't fully operational.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #452 on: April 27, 2021, 02:32:16 pm »
Just FIY, not a big deal, but there is a bug I don't recall seeing it before:

- test between the "code" tags is supposed to remain verbatim, as typed, however
- if there is an URL address inside the "code" section, an "URL" tag is inserted automatically
- even when the message is edited again to manually remove the "url" tags, the "url" tag will appear again when published

For example, in this post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/fpga/arrow-deca-max-10-board-for-$37/msg3558204/#msg3558204 the url and slash url inside the "code" section were not added by me, then deleted, yet still there.   :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 02:35:32 pm by RoGeorge »

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #453 on: April 27, 2021, 02:41:26 pm »
While reporting the above bug, just stepped into another url related bug.   :-DD

- url addresses containing the $ char in the url will result in a broken link, like this
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/fpga/arrow-deca-max-10-board-for-$37/msg3558204/#msg3558204

instead of this (manually added an empty url then pasted the url once after url = and once between the url open and close tag, for the display name:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/fpga/arrow-deca-max-10-board-for-$37/msg3558204/#msg3558204

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #454 on: May 02, 2021, 07:39:30 pm »
FORUM BUG
Threads and posts are disappearing !

Has the forum been compromised/hacked ?

Then I find this on Discord:  :o

And that thread is gone walkabout too !
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 08:20:06 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #455 on: May 02, 2021, 10:09:52 pm »
Server has been restored from dayish-old backup:  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/news/news-forum-reverted-to-backup/

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #456 on: May 03, 2021, 10:04:16 am »
Server has been restored from dayish-old backup:  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/news/news-forum-reverted-to-backup/

Yes, and as a result some posts in the last day or so will have been lost unfortunately.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #457 on: May 06, 2021, 07:41:38 pm »
As if you guys didn't already have enough to deal with... I was just curious how eevBlog/SMH is supposed to handle animated GIFs now.

It used to be, I could attach animated GIFs along with a post without issue, as long as they were small enuf. If a GIF was too large, I'd resize it using one of the online GIF editors, save it to my machine and then attach it. Never had any problems doing this; even with transparent background GIFs.

Ever since shortly after eevBlog was infested with the pic-eating random wandering singularity, ;) any animated GIF I attach does not seem to work properly; they don't actually animate, and transparent ones appear with a black background. ???

Pre-existing ones attached prior to that event all seem to work fine; transparency, animation all perfectly normal.

It's obviously not a high priority... I just wondered if there was an extension or add-on that was supposed to handle this sort of stuff which had been disabled, either accidentally or on purpose, or whatever.  :-//

Cheers,

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #458 on: May 06, 2021, 08:20:53 pm »
dlattach is not sending animated gifs down. Only first frame by the looks.

This is one reason I usually use imgur. 

Also the attachment previews take bloody forever to load so when there are quite a few attachments in a post the page slowly loads like it's on dialup.

One day in the distant future someone will write some forum software that isn't a pile of excrement. So far the human race has not succeeded :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #459 on: May 06, 2021, 11:04:45 pm »
I get that; except we have lots of posts where somebody links to something offsite and the vagaries of the internet break the pic. I have dozens of posts on IMGUR that no longer point to the correct URL, and we won't talk aboot my PhotoBuckethole PITAs...

As a result, for the last year or two I try to make sure the attachments are actually right there with the post... so that even when I'm gone, future readers won't be going "WFT wazzat a-hole talkin' aboot...?" because the attachment vaporized.

There will still be plenty of "WFT wazzat a-hole talkin' aboot...?" because of the "content", I'm sure, but at least the "content" will be there.  :-DD

mnem
*mal-content*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #460 on: May 07, 2021, 06:48:54 am »
Imgur has been ok for me. Haven’t seen anything disappear into a void yet.  :-//

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #461 on: May 07, 2021, 07:17:35 pm »
You're still alive, and your UMGUR account still active. How it was explained to me was that when you don't post anything new for a while and nobody replies to your stuff, your account goes inactive and is transferred to their secondary/long-term servers and that can cause some links to break.

Consider the average age of those in the TEA thread, for example; that attrition rate immediately becomes a concern.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #462 on: May 07, 2021, 07:32:56 pm »
I post all my stuff on imgur anonymously.

I get your point though. One reason I want to do a proper archive job. Everything be it internal to the forum or external to it has the same archive priority.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #463 on: May 07, 2021, 07:38:40 pm »

Offline Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #464 on: May 07, 2021, 07:50:03 pm »
Was told it would be a good idea to post this kind of error here, so i'm pasting my post from the beginners section (I didn't know where else to post when i did)
Is anyone else having this issue? I haven't been able to consistently post/edit my posts lately. i get this error a lot. I've already tried on different computers and on different networks and i get this same error  :scared:

Edit: found out it's been happening a lot more often when trying to attach more than one file at once, just had to edit a post attaching 1 file each time for it to work. trying to attach two or more files would result in the error
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 07:58:30 pm by Anthocyanina »

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #465 on: May 09, 2021, 10:34:09 am »
Well, for the last like at least three days, the  eevblog server is more inaccessible than accessible.  Maybe that has something to do with it? Now it is working again - at least now.

Offline gnifTopic starter

• Administrator
« Reply #466 on: May 09, 2021, 10:36:23 am »
Well, for the last like at least three days, the  eevblog server is more inaccessible than accessible.  Maybe that has something to do with it? Now it is working again - at least now.

If you are experiencing outages/issues, please report them. Server monitoring has not reported any issues over the last few days except for the outage today that was caused by the hosting provider.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #467 on: May 09, 2021, 10:42:25 am »
What ever happened to good ole five nines uptime?
iratus parum formica

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #468 on: May 09, 2021, 10:43:37 am »
I thought this was another major outage you probably know well about, so I did not want to bother with "hey, it is not working again".

I have just checked couple hours ago, it was still inaccessible and using this page: https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/eevblog.com.html it showed  "down for 4 days 18hrs" which about corresponded to what I was (not) getting here.

But I am not sure how can I help further to troubleshoot stuff like this. If it happens next time, is there anything I can do to help you solve it?

• Administrator
« Reply #469 on: May 09, 2021, 10:48:13 am »
> "down for 4 days 18hrs" which about corresponded to what I was (not) getting here.

The server's IP was null routed, which may have taken longer for us to detect due to route caching... but 4 days does seem a bit excessive so I am not sure what was going on there sorry.

If you have issues accessing the website, please screenshot and post here (if you can), if not you can DM @HostFission on Twitter with the report and I will investigate.

Online woofy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Woofys Place
« Reply #470 on: May 09, 2021, 11:34:06 am »
My last post was at 6:30pm yesterday and I've had no further access until a few minutes ago, 12:30pm UK time. No error messages, just DNS timeout.
This feels like a DNS propagation delay. Did you update pointers?

• Administrator
« Reply #471 on: May 09, 2021, 11:38:08 am »
The outage today was due to a disgruntled nutjob abusing AbuseIPDB to report Dave's youtube videos as "Web Spam" and then using this to report Dave's IPs to GorillaServers as being abusive, which caused them to null route our IPs.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #472 on: May 09, 2021, 12:23:12 pm »
The outage today was due to a disgruntled nutjob abusing AbuseIPDB to report Dave's youtube videos as "Web Spam" and then using this to report Dave's IPs to GorillaServers as being abusive, which caused them to null route our IPs.

It is really pretty sad that they just take anyone's word for it and pull the plug...

Courts (and the entire legal system) were invented to adjudicate disputes in a fair and lawful manner, using laws put in place by democratic means.   The Internet is still a bit of a jungle in this respect...

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #473 on: May 09, 2021, 12:46:03 pm »
gnif: Off-topic content removed
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 03:09:45 pm by gnif »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #474 on: May 09, 2021, 12:59:46 pm »
gnif: Off-topic content removed
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 03:09:33 pm by gnif »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: sandalcandal

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf