Author Topic: Server Error Reports  (Read 726408 times)

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Server Error Reports
« Reply #475 on: May 09, 2021, 01:01:43 pm »
Well, for the last like at least three days, the  eevblog server is more inaccessible than accessible.  Maybe that has something to do with it? Now it is working again - at least now.

If you are experiencing outages/issues, please report them. Server monitoring has not reported any issues over the last few days except for the outage today that was caused by the hosting provider.

How does one report issues if eevblog is uncontactable?

FWIW, it's been down for me for a couple of days too. And all the 'is it just me' and 'is it really down' tools reported eevblog was actually down for everyone, too.

Offline gnifTopic starter

• Administrator
« Reply #476 on: May 09, 2021, 01:03:20 pm »
Dude, justice existed for millennia without idiocracy and it better stay that way. The last thing we need is disputes between websites and mad Chinese users resolved by some international UN body filled with "experts" from CCP and all the other crazies out there.

Not necessarily defending the actions of the commercial players currently in charge, but really, be careful what you wish for.

Totally off-topic, continue this discussion here at your own peril.

The following users thanked this post: tggzzz, McBryce, bd139

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #477 on: May 09, 2021, 01:04:54 pm »
The outage today was due to a disgruntled nutjob abusing AbuseIPDB to report Dave's youtube videos as "Web Spam" and then using this to report Dave's IPs to GorillaServers as being abusive, which caused them to null route our IPs.

I'm sure Greater Minds than mine know what to do, but if the guy is abusing the reporting system then seems he/she should be reported ...  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Administrator
« Reply #478 on: May 09, 2021, 01:06:33 pm »
Not an open invitation to just spam, but if the site is truly down and you can't post on here and you're certain it's not an issue on your end, you can DM HostFission on Twitter (link in signature)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

• Administrator
« Reply #479 on: May 09, 2021, 01:08:24 pm »
The outage today was due to a disgruntled nutjob abusing AbuseIPDB to report Dave's youtube videos as "Web Spam" and then using this to report Dave's IPs to GorillaServers as being abusive, which caused them to null route our IPs.

I'm sure Greater Minds than mine know what to do, but if the guy is abusing the reporting system then seems he/she should be reported ...  :-//

Indeed, we are already pursuing avenues with regard to this. We know who the person is, and have enough evidence (The abuse report was even PGP signed, lol) to take things further if needed.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #480 on: May 09, 2021, 01:16:38 pm »
If the disgruntled user was from a few years ago, it is quite ingenuous given that normally all defenses are lowered as time goes by.

In any case, congratulations to gnif, Dave and the other hidden actors for maintaining such incredible website running with great availability for the past several years.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline sandalcandal

• Supporter
  • MOAR POWA!
« Reply #481 on: May 09, 2021, 01:20:51 pm »
Dude, justice existed for millennia without idiocracy and it better stay that way. The last thing we need is disputes between websites and mad Chinese users resolved by some international UN body filled with "experts" from CCP and all the other crazies out there.

Not necessarily defending the actions of the commercial players currently in charge, but really, be careful what you wish for.

I'm not sure the full details are to be made public, so I'm surprised gnif has said as much however this particular case has nothing to do with any Chinese users disgruntled or otherwise. As gnif said, in this case it was a (non-Chinese) nutjob not some CCP conspiracy.
Disclosure: Involved in electric vehicle and energy storage system technologies

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #482 on: May 09, 2021, 01:22:08 pm »
you can DM HostFission on Twitter

I'll try and remember that, but you're up so reliably there's usually no need to bother. Maybe if you threw a wobbly a bit more often that'd get written down somewhere...

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #483 on: May 09, 2021, 01:55:55 pm »

Indeed, we are already pursuing avenues with regard to this. We know who the person is, and have enough evidence (The abuse report was even PGP signed, lol) to take things further if needed.

It seems bizarre. I looked at those "reports" just now and nothing is clear to me at all. The abuse site says "Confidence of Abuse is 4%". Looks like once or twice a week a report was made. HostFission  just posted (an hour ago) that ..."This information was cited as a reason to have the @eevblog
 server's IPs null routed by the datacenter who obliged."

It seems bizarre because there does not seem to be any "due process" or "due diligence". Granted, I may be missing more than I am getting, but it still seems bizarre. If you can say...is this a technicality, an absurd process with little or no false reporting consequences or something else?
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

• Administrator
« Reply #484 on: May 09, 2021, 02:16:12 pm »
Dave did get a copy of the abuse report which got lost among other emails, there was an opportunity to contest it. The thing is that it shouldn't have even got that far, and I should have also got a copy as I am Dave's Technical contact. At the end of the day, there were mistakes made by all parties involved.

If you have a dig through the reports listed as "Web Spam" by that user you will find he is attacking multiple youtubers, including Fran. He is an utter scumbag.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 02:17:54 pm by gnif »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #485 on: May 09, 2021, 02:26:27 pm »
Yes definitely shouldn’t have got that far.

Well so far they tried to burn the hardware, then wet it then shoot it after a malicious report.

They don’t deserve to have customers.

This is one thing I love about AWS. They call us if there’s an issue and talk to someone before doing anything.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 02:28:11 pm by bd139 »

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #486 on: May 09, 2021, 03:05:41 pm »
Dave did get a copy of the abuse report which got lost among other emails, there was an opportunity to contest it. The thing is that it shouldn't have even got that far, and I should have also got a copy as I am Dave's Technical contact. At the end of the day, there were mistakes made by all parties involved.

If you have a dig through the reports listed as "Web Spam" by that user you will find he is attacking multiple youtubers, including Fran. He is an utter scumbag.
I tried to look at what you're referring to. It looked to me like that person had made over 26,000 reports (I could be wrong) which is a lot of work. It seemed like it might be automated.

What is "Web Spam"? Most of the reports listed "email spam".

• Administrator
« Reply #487 on: May 09, 2021, 03:14:54 pm »
It is very likely automated to an extent. The user clearly has a grudge though and is also making manual submissions for youtubers. Normally "Web Spam" would be a bot that was caught posting spam to a website.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 03:20:01 pm by gnif »

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #488 on: May 09, 2021, 03:21:03 pm »
Enter eevblog.com and I see 28 reports (all from the same source). All are categorized as "web spam" except for the last six which are listed in the email spam category. I did not look at every one, but the ones that I did see (expand the comment section and it ends with a link that I assume is the object of the report) link to YouTube videos and just normal eevblog videos...nothing looks like my definition of spam. Even the email spam category entries that I looked at, link to youtube vids.

Additionally, while from other threads, I know that the YouTube "regs" are "artistic" to be kind, I am not sure what is being reported there that should not be reported to YouTube, if there is anything to report - which again, is not at all clear to me...or to put it simply..."what??? why is that spam???".

« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 03:23:06 pm by DrG »
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

• Administrator
« Reply #489 on: May 09, 2021, 03:32:24 pm »
Exactly the issue, the user is abusing the submission API to report abuse based on YouTube videos. If there is a problem with YouTube video it must be reported to YouTube, not a third party IP that has nothing to do with it (from a hosting perspective)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #490 on: May 09, 2021, 04:30:35 pm »
Ugh, I feel your pain, gnif & Dave. Try to do good in the world and the nut jobs come out in force. What nonsense.

Thanks for your continued perseverance.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: gnif

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #491 on: May 09, 2021, 10:41:23 pm »
Some say the site was unavailable for 3 or 4 days, it seemed more like 24 hours to me.

The May stats don't show much of a gap.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/stats/
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #492 on: May 09, 2021, 10:56:44 pm »
Some say the site was unavailable for 3 or 4 days, it seemed more like 24 hours to me.

The May stats don't show much of a gap.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/stats/
~16 actually if we can go by the most active thread on the forum:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3565691/#msg3565691
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #493 on: May 10, 2021, 06:52:46 am »
Best way of working this out is a tool called AWS CloudWatch Synthetics. You can set it up to do a typical user journey every 10 minutes ie log in, open a thread etc. If anything doesn’t work it’ll keep availability stats and send alert emails etc. $5 a month for a 10 minute cycle approx.

Here’s what poked me yesterday

• Administrator
« Reply #494 on: May 10, 2021, 01:49:12 pm »
We keep detailed metrics of the servers, here is the logged outage period.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #495 on: May 10, 2021, 03:33:27 pm »
Nice. That'll give you a machine level outage / traffic outage. The synthetics will tell you the forum is throwing 500 errors as well i.e. what does it look like from the end user's perspective.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #496 on: May 14, 2021, 07:33:57 am »
First time I've gotten this error:

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Occurred about a minute ago. The post I submitted was still saved, though. :-//
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #497 on: May 14, 2021, 07:38:41 am »

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Sporadically had this too since the server was last down. Posting or viewing.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline sandalcandal

• Supporter
  • MOAR POWA!
« Reply #498 on: May 14, 2021, 08:07:31 am »

Connection Problems

+1 also having this issue sporadically
Disclosure: Involved in electric vehicle and energy storage system technologies

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #499 on: May 14, 2021, 08:54:51 am »

Connection Problems

+1 also having this issue sporadically
Just seen this error, too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf