Author Topic: UPDATED: Well... looks like I've l̶o̶s̶t̶ won the battle against scam callers  (Read 9721 times)

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
At work is a different story and the Spam Act (unfortunately) largely doesn't apply.

!

My shared home phone was once the number for a business my parents ran.

Perhaps that's the difference?

It could be, but since it's now a residential service, you can list your number on the Do Not Call Register (https://www.donotcall.gov.au).

Legitimate businesses are obliged to "wash" their contact lists through this, to avoid complaints and possible action taken against them. Non-legitimate businesses/scammers don't give a crap, obviously.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
I've now listed it there and I'll see how I go.

• Global Moderator
I've now listed it there and I'll see how I go.

I'll be interested to see what kind of impact this has in your case after about a month. Feel free to report back.

Offline johnh

• Regular Contributor
we are on Fibre to the Curb.  FTTC
Can't be bothered upgrading to FTTP,  no streaming in this household

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
Update: Shared home phone has had no telemarketer calls for the past few days.  Putting it on the Australian DNC list seems to have made an immediate impact, like magic.  I'll keep watching it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 12:13:15 pm by Whales »

The following users thanked this post: Halcyon

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
Update: Shared home phone has had no telemarketer calls for the past few days.  Putting it on the Australian DNC list seems to have made an immediately impact, like magic.  I'll keep watching it.

They’re just pausing to lull you into a false sense of security.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
Update 2: Not so magic after all.  Got one (and exactly one) today.  I answered it with "Hello" and then heard the bubble/pop sound effect that their software always seems to play before someone joins the calll.  I should have stayed on the line and found out what they were selling.

• Global Moderator
Update 2: Not so magic after all.  Got one (and exactly one) today.  I answered it with "Hello" and then heard the bubble/pop sound effect that their software always seems to play before someone joins the calll.  I should have stayed on the line and found out what they were selling.

The DNC register really only functions to filter out legitimate sellers/marketers. The dodgy/scam callers will completely ignore the register. But, it at least gives you the confidence to know that if you still continue to get these nuisance calls, there is a strong likelihood that their intention is malicious.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
Final update: sometimes still getting a few calls per day that we don't answer (CIDs are numbers from around the country).  Perhaps the DNC had an effect, perhaps it didn't, our scam call load is probably already lower from not answering them in ages.

The following users thanked this post: Halcyon

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf