Author Topic: How to test an analog oscilloscope before buying?  (Read 5915 times)

Offline Mint.Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Account is inactive now. Thanks everybody!
    • Personal Blog, Mint Electronics.
How to test an analog oscilloscope before buying?
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:51:06 am »
So I have made a choice to buy an analog oscilloscope today, but before I actually buy it I would like to find out how do I test it and what to look out for. The seller said that he does not mind if anyone tests it before buying and it is pickup only so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for me in terms of actually having a look at the instrument. A function generator will be available there for testing it.
Personal Blog (Not Active Anymore), Mint Electronics:
http://mintelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Nermash

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How to test an analog oscilloscope before buying?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 11:27:29 am »
Check Dave's video on Tek 2225, he gave some good pointers there.

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:30:48 am »
Lol Nermash, you was just a second before me, anyways here is the video and like Nermash said Dave tells you how to check the beam and such:

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 11:50:15 am »
Assuming you already familiar with the basic of analog scope, if you know the exact model, suggesting :

- If available at the net, download the user manual and spend some time to get the feel and with adequate know how on how to use the knobs and switches for that particular model. This is important.
- Certain high end analog scope has diagnostic routine can be triggered manually by pushing certain buttons or knobs sequence, memorize it if that model has it.
- Since the seller has the FG, this is very good and just make sure they have the coax cable with bnc and bring yours if they dont,  I know this sounds trivial, but it will very annoying if you stand in front of a scope and FG but dont have the accesories needed, also small thing like terminator, scope probe if you have one and etc.
- I assumed you have some sort of diy voltage reference, no need for ultra accurate, bring it too, once verified against your dmm, this at least it will help you on checking the vertical accuracy.
- Make sure you can have enough time like turning the  scope on say for 15 mins to see if its stable enough.

Had similar situation when I bought my tek 2465b, and if somehow you spotted any inaccuracy say like vertical against your vref, this might be reason to bargain for a better price.  ;)

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:16:56 pm by BravoV »

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 12:26:43 pm »
This rule isn't just for oscilloscopes, in fact its for everything and anything.

Whenever i buy something i always check all 8 corners of the box or device.
If its ever been dropped the chances are it will have landed on one corner and it will leave a flattened area in the plastic, metal or cardboard box.

You'd be surprised how often you see a flattened corner on stuff, even new stuff in the shop.
It's a simple thing to check but is often overlooked.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:29:18 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Mint.Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Account is inactive now. Thanks everybody!
    • Personal Blog, Mint Electronics.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:15:38 am »
Thanks heaps guys!
Personal Blog (Not Active Anymore), Mint Electronics:
http://mintelectronics.wordpress.com/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf