Author Topic: What about labor price per hour in yours city?  (Read 1966 times)

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
What about labor price per hour in yours city?
« on: December 22, 2019, 03:55:05 pm »

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
Re: What about labor price per hour in yours city?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 05:12:12 pm »
Well in my city is varies with job, from not enough to way too much.
 :palm:

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 08:52:02 pm »
Depends on the job.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 08:59:54 pm »

I'm curious 001, where you live in Antarctica is the price of labor cheap because of low demand, or high because of a labor shortage and does it vary by season? I imagine at certain periods of the year a day laborer would cost more but maybe it is this even out with shift work?

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 09:08:57 pm »
The figures for the UK is surely a croc of chit! People on that kind of dosh p/h would be considered well off, quite well off!
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 09:44:52 pm »
The figures for the UK is surely a croc of chit! People on that kind of dosh p/h would be considered well off, quite well off!
Possibly. Another source claims it's 14 GPB.

Source:
https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/en/web/products-eurostat-news/-/EDN-20180322-1
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 09:55:06 pm »

Yes, those figures are useless. The median salary for 2016/2017 for the whole UK was £26,250 per annum, or 15.79€/hr. The figures given above work out as £41,560 per annum, a mere 62% more than the actual figure. (Based on current EUR <=> GBP exchange rate because I'm too lazy to find historical ones at the moment).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 09:56:14 pm »
It is the crap of how people like to display this data as an "Average", instead of a "median" or even average by quartile, which would be much more representitive as it removes the heavy bias the CEO's earning millions per year introduce.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 10:12:09 pm »
Depends on the industry.  This is a mining town, so stuff like mining, welding, machining, that sort of thing pays good from what I understand.  Tech stuff on the other hand is pretty much minimum wage unless you get lucky.  I got lucky myself and found a good job.  I make around 80k.  Downside is companies are always trying to move stuff down south so there is always the constant threat of my job being eliminated if they ever decide to hit us.   

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 10:32:11 pm »
Yes, those figures are useless. The median salary for 2016/2017 for the whole UK was £26,250 per annum, or 15.79€/hr. The figures given above work out as £41,560 per annum, a mere 62% more than the actual figure. (Based on current EUR <=> GBP exchange rate because I'm too lazy to find historical ones at the moment).

That sounds shockingly low, especially given the relatively high cost of living. IIRC the median in the USA is nearly twice that and in the expensive coastal cities it is much, much higher. 15.79€/hr is only marginally over the minimum wage in Seattle, that wouldn't even cover the rent in a dumpy 1 bedroom apartment.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 10:52:52 pm »
Note, those figures are for the whole UK. There are regional differences e.g. for the same year the median salary for London was, from memory, around £32k. Also remember if you're making a comparison with the US that our taxation (at around £4k5 for the median salary of 2016/2017) includes health care costs which, as I understand it, are a bigger slice of people's salaries than state and federal taxes. The national minimum wage for that year was £7.50 per hour.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 11:09:11 pm »
One bourbon, one scotch and one beer.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 11:47:13 pm »
Note, those figures are for the whole UK. There are regional differences e.g. for the same year the median salary for London was, from memory, around £32k. Also remember if you're making a comparison with the US that our taxation (at around £4k5 for the median salary of 2016/2017) includes health care costs which, as I understand it, are a bigger slice of people's salaries than state and federal taxes. The national minimum wage for that year was £7.50 per hour.

Health care is indeed a fantastic benefit that absolutely warrants higher taxes IMHO, however over here most people who have health insurance get it as a benefit from their employer. Technically it is a part of my compensation however it's money that I never see and not part of my base salary so it doesn't get incorporated into the median salary.

Looking at some numbers, I see the ~$54k value I had in my head is the median household income, so the median salary is likely significantly lower. I'll have to look later and see what I can find.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 11:07:25 am »
I'd agree that around the £25 - 30k mark give or take a bit either way depending where you live is a more accurate average figure. I live in Edinburgh which would probably be the higher end of Scottish wages. Go to London and that figure will rise again quite a bit.
Like others have said though there are loads of other variables.
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 03:01:34 pm »

Yea. I`m not natural born antarctic man. I`m migrate to Antarctica   for job.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 03:11:59 pm »
Yea. I`m not natural born antarctic man. I`m migrate to Antarctica   for job.

Antarctica is not a country -

Antarctica is a continent but not a country. The land is managed under the Antarctic Treaty, originally signed in 1959 by the 12 countries involved in scientific studies on the continent at that time. It now includes 48 countries from around the world. The treaty ensures the freedom of scientific investigation and cooperation, prohibits military activities and mining, prohibits nuclear explosions and nuclear power, and protects the continent's natural environment.

https://www.polartrec.com/resources/fast-and-fun-fact/is-antarctica-a-country
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2019, 12:47:39 pm »
We don't seem to mind, when we buy something dirt cheap, made in India etc.  :phew:
Most people in Australia earn between $18 to $40 / hour. Techs on call, more....
However, it REALLY pisses me off when SOME big time Psychiatrists etc, can charge
$450 for 25 Mins!!  Totally disproportionate for the little work they do. But then again,
their payments for their Mansion and their Rolls Royce makes life tough for them!  :palm:
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2019, 01:37:15 pm »

Absolutely, but what do you expect from Eurostat propoganda!!  Thank *uck we are getting out that scam!!  I've been looking at historic EU material concerning the effects of EU membership on the UK since we joined, makes interesting reading!  Basically, since the EU 'harmonised' the UK with the rest of the EU our standard of living has steadily declined and wages have fallen in real terms, but the facts and timeline concerning that decline sem to have been quietly forgotten!  Obviously, it doesn't help that our utilities and public transport were privatised, we were fed to the corrupt, cash hungry jaws of private companies, and our major industries were systematically destroyed but EU membership certainly hasn't helped, in fact, there has been no benefit. Unless you happened to work in the system, were already rich, a refugee, illegal immigrant or a criminal, which is why there has been so much resistance to the referendum result.
The bulk of UK jobs are menial on minimum wage, fast food, supermarket fodder, care workers, warehouse slaves (Amazon!!), etc.  Very few are in the £30K plus bracket.  FFS, even Uni graduates are unlikely ever to able to afford to buy a house!!  What does that say about the UK?!

Basically, nothing stated by the EU or UK government can be trusted, as they produce the stats to suit their agenda.   
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 01:42:02 pm by unknownparticle »
DC coupling is the devils work!!

Offline SmallCog

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2019, 12:58:03 pm »
I live in a capitol but relatively minor city in Australia.

For a tech doing a typical 5 day a week 8ish hour day you could expect to get somewhere between $40,000 and $70,000 a year depending upon skills and experience.

If it matters for the conversation we in Australia have universal healthcare and all sorts of social welfare/unemployment/pension payments. Because I have 2 young kids the government tops up our (not meager) earnings by a few hundred dollars a fortnight.

Employers also contribute 9% of your income into a superannuation retirement savings account (ie you earn $100k a year they'll tip $9k into your super account)

In Australia it's quite common to work away from home in our mining/oil/gas industries, and the remuneration is significantly higher - this is compensation for being away from family, combined with doing 12 hour shifts every day of the week. I know guys who are on almost $600 a day to literally shovel muck and carry heavy stuff in the middle of nowhere.

On call, or shift work where you're home will be somewhere between what you'd earn doing easy 8 hour days or being away from home.

Engineers obviously earn more than techs (mostly) but the question was about labor.

In Australia an electrician putting in a new light fixture playing with a couple of wires and a switch will in most cases cost more per hour than an electronics technician doing something complicated. I'd be interested in if that's the case globally or just a local curiosity.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2019, 01:25:15 pm »

However, it REALLY pisses me off when SOME big time Psychiatrists etc, can charge
$450 for 25 Mins!!  Totally disproportionate for the little work they do.

If they would be able to figure out what the hell is wrong with my ex wife...worth it.

iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2019, 02:15:50 pm »
You are paying for their training and expertise, just like say, a lawyer  :-DD
DC coupling is the devils work!!

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf