Author Topic: What analog projects are you after in 2022/23?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: What analog projects are you after in 2022/23?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2022, 09:54:46 am »
Also, even in the most advanced digital Software-Defined Radio systems, it still needs a good analog RF front-end design to function.

While I agree with your other points, can I suggest it isn't always quite that simple.

Have a look at how SDR dongles are implemented, but ignore the boring IQ digitisation. The front-end mixers are simultaneously sampling devices and analogue devices, which is effectively a very neat halfway house between analogue and digital.

The other point is that RF comms continue to push the digital signals closer to the antenna :)

My other other standard point is that digital devices are actually non-linear analogue devices which interpret analogue waveforms as digital signals. When that is forgotten you end up with rare unreproducible errors (e.g. due to metastability) and rare reproducible errors (e.g. due to pattern sensitivity).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 09:58:51 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2022, 01:59:14 pm »
RoGeorge: Mille mercis pour votre gentil notes!

SIGSALY scrambler info and technical is at NSA/NCM and cryptomuseum.org, etc.

Voice>>Vocoder>>1o bands energy, pitch, voiced/unvoiced = 12 parameters + one bit.

SIGSALY used the pictured quantizer X 72 pcs ....a  6 level log flash converter on EACH of the 12 Vocoder parameters.

Sampling was 20 mS. The conversion was analog eg 0-25V from eac Vocoder parameter>>ladder R>>5 thyratrons served as 2..3 V comparators.

Output was a staircase of one of 6 levels including zero.

Thus the Vocoder parameters were quantized into one of six digital levels.

You can find the PDF of my IEEE Spectrum articles online.

Much more engineering and design in the compression, spread spectrum and unbreakable coding.

Happy to send you copies privately (C) IEEE) if you PM me

Bon Weekend,

Jon
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 02:01:27 pm by jonpaul »
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2022, 03:55:51 pm »
I have very recently retired, therefore I am pondering at similar ideas.

For me is to understand, and I mean really understand, the analog functions. Understand not only how to fully calculate a particular function, but understand component sensitivity, how different non-ideal characteristics affect performance, the tradeoffs between dynamic range, distortion, noise, frequency response, power consumption, input impedance, etc, etc.

This is a a three pronged approach:
1-hand calculations, well with Excel’s or Mathcad’s help.
2- Simulations
3- Actually building the circuit and probe around with a scope.

Thus, not a complete project per se, but to master my “analog toolbox” to be ready when the need arises.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2022, 11:20:45 pm »
Fun note, the name itself of "analog" electronic came from the fact that linear circuits with R, L, and amplifiers can be an analog of the differential equations met in the physical world (analog circuits able to simulate, and thus solve, other non-electronic problems we face in our day-to-day real world).

To be clearer, it's called analog because the circuit is an electrical analogy of a mechanical (or some other physical) system.

The etymology of the term "analog" in "analog circuit" was quite interesting indeed. Apparently, the first recorded usage of the term "analog" was specifically used in the context of analog computing, as an adjective before the term "computer" (initially as a reaction to "digital", as digital computers started to see its uses). Later, opamps became general-purpose circuit components, so "analog" started to be used to describe "circuit". Eventually, all circuits without logic are described as "analog circuit".

https://readingjimwilliams.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-history-of-analog-part-1.html

I've messed up bad that explanation, sorry.  I think about analog electronic or analog computing as in continuous change rather than similar with, same as the analog from math:  https://www.mathsisfun.com/definitions/analog.html
Differential equations, too, are about continuous change, or small increments, close to each other, related similar, they all point to the idea of a continuity.  They can model/simulate physical systems.

I'm no expert in the genealogy of the word analog, saying how it is in my head.  We have the 'analogie' in Romanian, too, which is used as similar/alike.  Romanian is a Latin language, while English is a Germanic language, not sure who got it from where, wouldn't be surprised both got it from Greek.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2022, 03:07:40 am »
   My take on the wording would start at those screen shots in the intro, featuring graphical 'attractors' and resulting shapes.  Yes the analog world was quite separate, but not so separate now.
   If a person is talking employment that distinction is more like 1970, than now.  Because, back then an Engineer career path was set up, a bit, by choices.  Some even dispised any digital or programming chores.  I always liked to see bridges, as the 'two' camps evolved.

In today's technology, I'm not getting such impressions, as the analog RF Engineers wear several hats, including miniature 'packaging' and mechanical design of products.  Heck, many Mechanical Engineers these days could turn circles around my computer and even digital circuit skills.
   Would like to see more PHYSICs expertise, though many are active cross-field there, as well!

My doctor started in EE (UC Berkeley) and Enterprise Management.
   I think massive computing power will displace much of the mainly analog 'catagories', unless cost saving, like current RF devices.  Older analog might become just more as a model or goal, for the newer hybrids...(sorry).
- - RJ.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf