Author Topic: [Solved - Valley Girl] What, or where from is this way of speaking, please?  (Read 4591 times)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: [Solved - Valley Girl] What, or where from is this way of speaking, please?
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2018, 02:19:52 pm »
I've watched a couple of technical talks on YouTube by valley girls which were pretty hard to take. I finally found one with the valley girl accent, but you know like proper English. It was fine. Its not the accent that's hard to take. Its the semi-coherent babble that tends to go with it.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2018, 05:04:10 pm »
Talking about current trends, what has become a bit irritating to me, is the pervasive use of "basically" as an opening to an answer.

it's especially insulting when you are a engineer and you end up knowing more about the problem then they do. Then you start thinking are they trying to each this shit to a cat? Who do they communicate with to require a basic explanation? Have IQ's dropped recently? Am I wasting time learning this advanced knowledge that's so unusable and unwieldy that you need to make everything basic? Are they talking about pH?  ::)

or its just misused and the basic you got is the full explanation that reaches down to the very end of human knowledge and you think 'holy shit then whats the advanced version, I must be retarded if thats basic to you!'
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 05:07:42 pm by coppercone2 »

Online MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2018, 09:53:04 pm »
They do it a lot where I live and I hear mainly the young women/girls do it in public more often.

One conversation I heard last week was a lady on the phone talking loud:
"Like me staying with me boyfriend 'cause he can drive and he gives me money 'cause he thinks I like him but I don't 'cause me got not no where else to go as if like my parents won't have me back blah blah blah.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 09:55:27 pm by MrMobodies »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf