Author Topic: What are u working on right now (electronics related and with picture please)?  (Read 84661 times)

Offline TonyStewart

• Contributor
  • just another carbon life form
A repetitive partial discharge with sub nanosecond 10V into 50 Ohm Ac coupled from 5MVA Distribution Transformer.  44kV-1.4kV

Root Cause is sloppy MFG process controls for magnetic dust creation.

The magnetic particles shed from edges of CRGOS on laminated cores along roller track Assy line. Later articles disperse and get energized in mineral coolant oil and create excess Hydrogen under high field strength in the field in less than 1yr.

Epidemic problem only detected by Dissolved Gas Analysis.
Risk to explosion if not monitored for H2 by customer.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 04:28:48 pm by TonyStewart »
Tony Stewart EE in bleeding edge R&D, TE and Mfg since 1975.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
Sorting the boxes of random stuff can produce rather unexpected items.
Like an oscilloscope CRT tube.
And what's a better use for one than to make a clock out of it?  :)

I wonder if making a neat package for it would be harder than making it work...

great idea ! i like it  :-+ :-+ :-+ i would suggest to make a retro-style wooden case for it, or perhaps a bit of steam-punk decorations ;)

Offline andtfoot

• Supporter
A lot of the stuff I find myself doing at the moment is just little odd jobs here and there; not exactly worthy of a separate thread. Thought I'd dig this one up instead of starting a new one...

Recently, I had the HDMI port on a Dell laptop break... again. The first laptop had the pins separate from the middle plastic section after a dozen or so uses. The second had the middle section fracture in a similar time-frame like so:

Dell warranty is useless in this regard, and they wanted $900 or so to repair it, so I thought I'd give it a go (on the 2nd laptop). The connector is some weirdo mid-plane through-hole jobbie that I couldn't find anywhere, so I ended up getting a spare motherboard from the UK and did a transplant.
A hot air rework gun and a bit of hair pulling later, and I now have one working (if slightly melted) HDMI port again.  :-+

What I just finished up now is rebuilding the guts of a guitar distortion pedal I made about 10 years ago. It was a bit noisy (not in the good way), and I figured the rat's nest within could use a cleanup. I also added indicator lights for the bypass and boost switches. This is partway through:

The finished 'product' (yes, the labelling is the epitome of fine calligraphy). Testing to happen when it's not 3:30am...

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
Good projects here, I'll post something in the next day or two.
Couple of projects going on.
Six meter transceiver, and my IFR service monitor. (AGAIN)
Sue AF6LJ

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Most recent project my best friend and I finished - open hardware HD audio DAC:

https://github.com/NiHaoMike/OpenDAC-HD

One I'm currently working on is a linear actuator driver for a gaming force feedback device. No pictures yet since I'm still working out the hardware architecture.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf