Author Topic: What are you getting for black friday?  (Read 4879 times)

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: What are you getting for black friday?
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2023, 10:29:51 am »
I did all that with tap magic aluminum besides the guide (not practical) and still managed to break a tap in a aluminum block. the only improvement I could think of is to ream the hole before tapping. I put 4x screws on a small panel so I just glue a screw head on, its still roughly 50% more secure then the chimerical product which would have used two screws

I think if it was new it would not have happened. you start to need alot of force to cut with it when their even slightly dull.
and it was some decent brand that cost like 8 dollars for a single tap or whatever for HSS

I noticed too for some reason the ones that break the most is like 6-32. dont have a problem with the 4's and 10's really.. i don't think I even broke the 8-32 too much. I replaced the 6-32 a few times, but the 4-40 like never. haunted dimensions

Like i made a shit load of holes with a 4-40 tap by hand without the fixture no problem but in the last few years I must have replaced the 6-32 like 5 times. I even drop that 4-40 in the tap wrench a few times no problem picking it up off the ground but the 6-32 explodes when you look at it wrong

actually I have a whole bunch of 6-32 taps set aside I cut with the diamond blade to just finish something in a perilous manner with whatever is left

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/what-size-tap-do-you-break-most-often.150787/

other people dislike 6-32 as well

an 31, 2008

I just took a GD&T course where the instructor said that statistically the 6-32 is the most broken tap and the weakest screw proportionally because it has the worst ratio of thread depth to root diameter, resulting in a weak screw with a lot of bite. It is apparently the worst UNx size there is wrt to this ratio and is the one that should be avoided if at all pos

the problem starts to emerge when 6-32 is the correct size solution to a PCB mount. so long you use nuts for the standoffs, rather then threading them in place (nicer), its fine. but then you have nuts. so I am sure the optimized design is hated
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 10:51:20 am by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf