Author Topic: What are you getting for black friday?  (Read 4876 times)

Offline BlownUpCapacitorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • pssSSHHH BOOM!
What are you getting for black friday?
« on: November 24, 2023, 07:54:50 pm »
Hello everyone! As we all know, today is Black Friday! The day when many items are "discounted".

I don't think anyone has made such a thread for this, so I apologize in advance if such a thread already exists.

To start things off, I think I will go to eBay and purchase some nicely discounted test equipment. Hell, I already have! A very nice Tek 314.

Looks like JLCPCB also have some black Friday coupons so might as well order some stuff from there for my projects.

But I'm going to stay away from Amazon because as a lot of us know... they're not really discounted. Most of them are discount floofed.
Love the smell of burning capacitor electrolyte in the morning.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: What are you getting for black friday?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 09:20:36 pm »
On my way home from the swimming pool I went into an electronics store because I needed network switch, noticed the line in front of the cassiers (which are super slow in that particular store anyway), turned around, went home and ordered the switch online.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 07:49:15 pm »
I browsed around on a Dutch IT site for deals.. they have automated product lists with "actual" discounts (e.g. it tracks price hikes in the months before). But honestly, most deals on there are average at best. 10% or 20% off on random product X? Sure.. I'm not denying discounts are bad, but honestly its not going to trigger an impulsive buy from me as I feel such "discounts" can be had on any other day of the year. And besides, for tech stuff, if you wait long enough it will eventually bottom out anyhow!

I'm actually feeling fairly optimistic that I can score as good of a deal in January instead, as that are usually the slowest few months of the whole year for many shops.

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 08:20:46 pm »
So I went to aliexpress to get a 7-segment LED voltmeter module and some solder wick braid and ended up ordering a small bench-top drilling machine for PCBs, a CO2 sensor module, some miniature AC/DC PSU modules and, somehow, a digital laser tachometer which I always wanted but never really needed.

I should probably add the following to /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 www.aliexpress.com

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 08:22:03 pm »
I was thinking of getting an OLED TV, but looking at pricing history for the one I was interested in... it's no cheaper than it was, just raised by £200 the month before and dropped again.  So I'll wait, no rush.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 09:53:43 pm »
I was thinking of getting an OLED TV, but looking at pricing history for the one I was interested in... it's no cheaper than it was, just raised by £200 the month before and dropped again.  So I'll wait, no rush.
In the EU such practises are no longer allowed since last year. But wait... Brexit... so the British people are allowed to be fooled.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 09:57:22 pm »
A new kettle. And that was because I actually needed a new kettle.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

The following users thanked this post: Wil_Bloodworth

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2023, 10:35:14 pm »
In the EU such practises are no longer allowed since last year. But wait... Brexit... so the British people are allowed to be fooled.

It still isn't allowed in the UK to do it in a "misleading" fashion.  However, there are ways around it, like keeping a product at a high price for a "substantial" period of time (so you rotate the expensive products around), or if you have physical stores you can price the products out differently across those stores, so have your head office or central London store be more expensive so the prices are discounted with respect to that.

For televisions, some manufacturers create special models just for Black Friday and other special sales events which are often only different by small model number details.  Samsung are some of the worst offenders for this.  They can then claim this is a new model, with no pricing history.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2023, 10:38:59 pm »

It still isn't allowed in the UK to do it in a "misleading" fashion.  However, there are ways around it, like keeping a product at a high price for a "substantial" period of time (so you rotate the expensive products around), or if you have physical stores you can price the products out differently across those stores, so have your head office or central London store be more expensive so the prices are discounted with respect to that.

For televisions, some manufacturers create special models just for Black Friday and other special sales events which are often only different by small model number details.  Samsung are some of the worst offenders for this.  They can then claim this is a new model, with no pricing history.
In the UK numerous chains have "Was this much between these dates" next to all their discount notices. Nobody will ever stop these kinds of things through legislation. Legislation just changes details of the rules, but the underlying game remains the same.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2023, 01:36:21 am »
   I bought myself a Taurus model 65 revolver for about 70% off of retail price. Does that count?

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/taurus-model-65-double-action-revolver

Offline neurotoast

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2023, 05:38:40 am »
I got suckered into the Rigol DHO1074 oscilloscope.

https://www.rigolna.com/dho1000-black-friday/

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2023, 10:24:01 am »
So far, Adobe Creative Suite for half price and Fusion 360 with a heavy discount. I don't mind paying for software I use...I just don't Like being ripped off at the cost of it.

Then I went a spent almost £5k on a new Chassis and Bulkhead for my Land Rover Defender. That had a whopping 15% discount.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2023, 10:30:36 am »
Drill Bit Sharpener:
(Note:  No idea if it's any good yet)
https://www.vevor.com/end-mill-sharpener-c_10118/end-mill-grinder-drill-bit-sharpener-mr-13b-sharpening-grinding-machine-3-13mm-p_010659823453?utm_term=&gad_source=1

i heard good things about it on youtube

its expensive though. getting that would be like the second coming for me, like 6 drill indexes would be revived. followed by the great sorting
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 10:34:16 am by coppercone2 »

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2023, 11:48:41 am »
My bench upgrade :)

As seen on ebay and designed for pre-school age. I would have loved something like this as a four year old. One for the tech entrepreneurs of the 2050's...

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2023, 12:06:37 pm »
   I bought myself a Taurus model 65 revolver for about 70% off of retail price. Does that count?

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/taurus-model-65-double-action-revolver

Unfortunately, they don't ship to my country. Besides, they are illegal here. Otherwise I would have bought one.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2023, 12:09:13 pm »
I upgraded my Proton Mail Plus subscription to "Unlimited"  :)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2023, 12:15:52 pm »

In the UK numerous chains have "Was this much between these dates" next to all their discount notices. Nobody will ever stop these kinds of things through legislation. Legislation just changes details of the rules, but the underlying game remains the same.
Why do people have to make everything about Brexit? He shouldn't be so smug, as there's talk of a Nexit.

Anyway, you're right. Legislation won't help. They'll work around it..

I generally avoid these sorts of promotions. We never used to have Black Friday in the UK. It only came here from the US 5 years ago, so no, I won't buy anything, unless it's something I wouldn't have bought anyway.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2023, 12:27:04 pm »
Anyway, you're right. Legislation won't help. They'll work around it..

I generally avoid these sorts of promotions. We never used to have Black Friday in the UK. It only came here from the US 5 years ago, so no, I won't buy anything, unless it's something I wouldn't have bought anyway.
Black Friday is just a new name for an old behaviour. The UK has always had a mix of retailers running perpetual sales, and others having big blowouts of the Black Friday kind. Sales behaviour is ingrained in our comedy. "It must have been on xxx, as I remember there was a sale on at DFS", DFS being a furniture chain most famous for there always being a sale on there.

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2023, 12:37:25 pm »
In Finland we  have this thing called "black Friday", "black weekend", "black week", "black weeks", or, enhanced with double plural, "black weeksit", so loosely translated, "black weeksies". In any case, regardless of the name, this thing lasts a month or two and means that before it starts prices are increased by 30-40% to be reduced then by 20-30%, so that people pay more than normally for stuff they don't need. Nearly nobody is interested; but marketing departments keep pushing it and advertisements are overflowing.

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2023, 12:40:48 pm »
In the EU such practises are no longer allowed since last year.

It happens nevertheless, because law is just some text on paper; you are free not to follow it. Only the very worst offenders may get a small slap on their hands ("please do not do this again, best regards, the authorities"), or in extreme cases, a trivially small fine.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2023, 11:42:03 pm »
Drill Bit Sharpener:
https://www.vevor.com/end-mill-sharpener-c_10118/end-mill-grinder-drill-bit-sharpener-mr-13b-sharpening-grinding-machine-3-13mm-p_010659823453?utm_term=&gad_source=1

its expensive though. getting that would be like the second coming for me, like 6 drill indexes would be revived. followed by the great sorting

I'm sure I'll make my money back charging all my friends by the drill bit to sharpen their stuff too :⁠-⁠)

Offline Wil_Bloodworth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2023, 11:50:24 pm »
I got suckered into the Rigol DHO1074 oscilloscope.

This is one of the ones that can be hacked into the 1204 isn't it?

- Wil

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2023, 09:52:49 pm »
Drill Bit Sharpener:

I would just get a Drill Doctor for <$100, unless you are planning to use the thing on a regular basis.
vevor link not working but its $250 here: https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Drill-Sharpener-MR-13B-3-13mm/dp/B0CGQY29ZV/
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2023, 09:58:11 pm »
I want a 10 GHz, 100 GSa/s scope with 4 channels. There was no deal for black friday... :-BROKE

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf