General > General Technical Chat

What are your favourite electronics smells?

(1/9) > >>

eti:
What are your favourite electronics smells?

Mine are:

~ Rosin flux evaporating
~ A hot iron heating a cheap phenolic PCB
~ Overheating of a fibreglass PCB (it says "Warning: remove iron!")
~ The smell of overheated transformer varnish
~ Burning diode/IC smoke
~ The scent of a venting electrolytic cap
~ PVC insulation melting (a little bit, not too much)
~ The unusual smell when an LED explodes 😁
~ "Old electronics" smells

I've never understood why anyone would want to be in software Vs hardware - there's no emotional,. sentimental connection in this way, except for maybe brewing coffee.

deadlylover:
I used to buy boxes and boxes of CR123A lithium batteries for feeding torches/flashlights. They would off-gas this strange sweet alcoholic smell...we used to call it flashahol. (this was like 13 years ago before li-ions were common and supported in lights)

The worst smell is a crappy Schaffner IEC inlet exploding in old HP gear. That's like a rite of passage in one's test equipment addiction journey ahahah.

pqass:
Code does have a smell.
At times, I've become very emotional about fixing other peoples messes.
Thankfully, I'm not nostalgic for those days.

james_s:
I don't know if it quite counts as electronics but I like the musty smell inside vintage arcade cabinets, a combination of electronics, particle board and who knows what. CRT TV sets with wooden cabinets have a similar smell.

eti:

--- Quote from: james_s on November 29, 2021, 06:01:58 am ---I don't know if it quite counts as electronics but I like the musty smell inside vintage arcade cabinets, a combination of electronics, particle board and who knows what. CRT TV sets with wooden cabinets have a similar smell.

--- End quote ---

Of course it counts. Fab. 👍🏻🙂

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version