Author Topic: What car electronics you deem most useful?  (Read 20491 times)

Offline Rick LawTopic starter

• Super Contributor
What car electronics you deem most useful?
« on: December 16, 2017, 07:55:03 pm »
In a couple of other thread here, somehow it got my mind thinking about car gadgets.  As I think about it, this got my interest: What car electronics do you electronic engineers like most?  (In this context, I almost mean most useful)

Me not being an electronic engineers, what I like most (found most useful) are:

0. Radio - I wont buy a car that doesn't have AM radio
1. Cruse control - I wont buy a car that doesn't have cruse control
2. Trip computer (I particularly like my previous VW's), dual, one manually clear/set and one automatically clears and restart after 2 hours (presumably new trip) displaying MPG, Miles, time.
3. Exterior temperature display (don't care when in the Summer, but rely on it in the Winter)
4. Stop watch - I found I use that a lot.  In fact, I would like it dual or multiple ones.  With a tie to trip computer is also a good thing but in that case I want more than dual.

All the other electronics in my car are either ignored or merely just got in my way.  For GPS navigation, I prefer on not tie into the car's electronics.

I am reluctant to call air-conditioning electronics as it is mostly electro-mechanical.  If that is to be consider electronics, I rank it as one of the must-have.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: What car electronics you deem most useful?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 08:24:01 pm »
You missed one: EFI
EFI has had the greatest impact on reliability and economy and pollution.
In recent times it's been applied to diesels too where they call it Common Rail but it's still EFI just with staged squirts to improve burn, power and emissions.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Zeyneb

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 08:38:46 pm »
OBD2 so I can work out why the engine light is on before I get shafted by the garage.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Koen, MT, CNe7532294

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 08:46:01 pm »
Rick, why do you need a car with control of earthenware pots and jars?  :-DD

Now winter has set in I am reminded of how much I like my Ford Quickclear windscreen, that is a great gadget.

I never use AM radio, even though I have it, FM is good enough because in the UK you only need BBC Radio 4. RDS helps... I would prefer a perfect digital radio, but DAB was crippled from the outset. Typical designed by committee and with low tech and high license fees.

I agree with tautech that the best thing ever is ECU control, with OBD2 and better diagnostics over CAN, however take a look at John Deere in the USA for how they now control simple on the job fixes with their ludicrous "intellectual property" DRM on tractors - coming to a car you own soon...

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 08:47:12 pm »
1) Timed windshield wipers
2) Modern engine controls in general
3) I am not sure where modern spark plugs fit in but I like them
4) As must as I like traction control, I hate ABS.  More than once, I've had my current car brake for me while driving on dry pavement.   I've never looked into it but would not be surprised at all to find that modern electronics (software included) were not the root cause of more than one accident.  Strange is the cars I have owned will allow you to disable the traction control but not the ABS.   

Most of the fluff, I could care less about.  To me they are just more failure points and I would gladly give them up. 

I looked at buying a new bike a few years back and they only offered the model I wanted with ABS.  There is no way I want any electronics/firmware doing anything with the braking system! 

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 08:48:30 pm »
0. Radio - A must have, but AM is dead here so make that FM and/or DAB+
1. Cruse control - Nice, but wouldn't trade it for the radio
2. Trip computer - I could live without
3. Exterior temperature display - The warning light is enough for me, I don't care what the actual temp is
4. Stop watch - Does that come with cars? I never noticed or needed.

Keyless entry & start - I would put that second, nothing beats not having to find your key.
Front window defrost - although I think this is a Ford special
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 08:51:38 pm »

As must as I like traction control, I hate ABS.  More than once, I've had my current car brake for me while driving on dry pavement.

ABS = Anti Blocking System, it prevents the wheels from stopping to turn no matter how hard you brake. I think you are confusing that with Collision avoiding?

Offline nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 08:57:17 pm »
I think the one I most appreciated (at the time it became common) was remote door unlocking. No more fumbling about in the pissing rain!

Cruise control & speed limiting probably high on the list. Not used by me that much but great in speed-limited roadworks.

Reversing camera or beepers.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 09:03:09 pm »
ABS = Anti Blocking System, it prevents the wheels from stopping to turn no matter how hard you brake. I think you are confusing that with Collision avoiding?

ABS = Anti-lock Braking System. I can't see how it is a problem? The first systems where purely mechanical anyway (BMW motorcycles where the first to include such a system IIRC) and do the same thing. Other than racing and rally drivers the vast majority of people when faced with an emergency will stomp on the brake pedal, and when the wheels lock up will try and steer out of the situation while just ploughing right in to the disaster with no control whatsoever.

I have no problem with ABS being mandatory and not allowing it to be disabled. Because not every driver other than Sterling Moss, Louis Hamilton, and joeqsmith is a fucking genius at cadence braking - and all those 99.9% of soccer mom drivers are my mortal enemy in an accident situation.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 09:05:43 pm »

As must as I like traction control, I hate ABS.  More than once, I've had my current car brake for me while driving on dry pavement.

The brake controller performs both the ABS as well as the traction control functions. 

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 09:06:31 pm »
Well, I like heading into the sticks and much prefer reliability over gadgets.

In oz I have an old school diesel (all mechanical). The only reliance on electricity is the starter motor and the glow plugs. No other electronic junk to worry about. Common rail diesel just turns what was a reliable diesel motor into a problematic electronically controlled fueling system. EFI is great till something fails - mud/water/vibration/heat are all prevalent when offroad.

Yes, the electronics in the CRD makes it clean and returns great mpg and power - but if anything in that control/sensing path fails you better have your satellite phone/panic transmitter ready to get you out of trouble. Mate has a newer land cruiser with the 'wonderful' TDI Common rail V8 - wonderful motor - pity that to access anything significant in the engine bay requires a hoist to pull the engine :)

Now onto stuff that is nice but won't strand you:

- mechless music player
- navigation system (I use android tablet+phone with topo maps and aerial imagery - at least 2 devices for some redundancy).
- solar + mmpt charger, to keep aux battery (and main) charged to run a fridge (100 - 140W folding panels are so cheap these days).
- LED lighting for around camp (power outlets at various locations around the vehicle).
- home built car computer to provide various trip meters, turbo cool down timer, battery metering etc.
- HAM gear.
- SPOT sat emergency/tracking.

So, car electronics really depends on whether you buy a car to drive to/from work and the occasional hwy trip while always in cell contact with the nearest tow truck service or whether you are buying a vehicle that you are going to put your life on the line with when out bush...

cheers,
george.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 09:08:20 pm »
I have no problem with ABS being mandatory and not allowing it to be disabled. Because not every driver other than Sterling Moss, Louis Hamilton, and joeqsmith is a fucking genius at cadence braking - and all those 99.9% of soccer mom drivers are my mortal enemy in an accident situation.

Let the personal attacks start.       

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 09:10:43 pm »
The brake controller performs both the ABS as well as the traction control functions.

Perhaps you are confusering ABS with EBD? - in which case I totally agree, EBD is nonsense that slams on the brakes for you even when you let off the pedal to the metal.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 09:19:08 pm »
No personal attack at all. I know from your other videos that you are a very skilled rider/driver and I put you in the same league here as other world class motorsports stars.

But you can't deny that ABS being a requirement is a bad thing, especially considering the awful driving standards of the USA.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 09:19:39 pm »

Not from me !
The best drivers I know all run drag racers, their concentration and reaction times are amazing.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 09:24:50 pm »

Perhaps you are confusering ABS with EBD? - in which case I totally agree, EBD is nonsense that slams on the brakes for you even when you let off the pedal to the metal.

I am not confused.  I hate ABS but feel free to attack me for at as you see fit. 

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 09:28:37 pm »

ABS = Anti-lock Braking System. I can't see how it is a problem?

It's not a problem, but read again what joeqsmith wrote:
More than once, I've had my current car brake for me while driving on dry pavement.

That has nothing to do with ABS.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 09:31:53 pm »
I am not confused.  I hate ABS but feel free to attack me for at as you see fit.
There is no "attack", I do not think ABS or any other driver emasculation controls should be a thing on the drag strip or any other motor sport (despite the $1,000,000's that F1 etc invest in such systems).

This thread is about "useful car electronics" to other more regular Joes. I think ABS is a godsend, not that I ever had to use it - but the other idiots did.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 09:32:34 pm »

ABS = Anti-lock Braking System. I can't see how it is a problem?

It's not a problem, but read again what joeqsmith wrote:
More than once, I've had my current car brake for me while driving on dry pavement.

Right.  ::)
If ABS wasn't installed it couldn't do it.

Same as ABS being used for traction control.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline AllTheGearNoIdea

• Supporter
    • AllTheGearNoIdea
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 09:33:14 pm »
I’m an old man so heated seats followed by heated windscreen no more scraping ice.
AllTheGearNoIdea Where Its All About The Gear

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 09:33:31 pm »

Not from me !
The best drivers I know all run drag racers, their concentration and reaction times are amazing.

A friend of mine races road courses for a hobby.  He took me for a ride a few times around the track.  Talk about thinking fast.  I have a lot of respect for his driving skills.  Another friend runs vintage open wheel cars.  That's some crazy stuff.    I just try to keep the bike going in a straight line but they think I am a bit off my rocker as well.   :-DD

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 09:34:05 pm »
Number 1 is air conditioning.  The 2 main seasons in Florida is hot and F**king hot, besides 2 love bug and tourist seasons.  I have had 2-60 AC--2 windows open at 60 MPH and it doesn't cut it.  And the AC must have dual climate control, because SWMBO likes settings vastly different than me.  Thankfully, both vehicles we have, have the dual climate control.

Number 2 is cruise control-this is a big ticket avoider.

Next is car stereo with Bluetooth. The last 2 company vehicles have had it.  Since I bought my old company van, I have it and SWMBO's car has it.  Very handy and I like playing my music on my phone over BT.  Look, Ma, no cords.  Oh, and I don't do AM.

+1 for keyless entry, including the trunk.

GPS-I am obviously old school as I prefer my Garmin to in car and cell phone nav.

Back up camera.  I have that on my company Ford Transit Connect.  Very useful as I can't really see out of the back window.

I only use the trip odometer in my company van to track mileage to service calls.  Not that big a deal on personal vehicles.  Neither is the stop watch.  I have never heard or seen this in a vehicle.  I would personally like my vehicle clock to do 24 hour time.  Being a ham radio operator and using 24 hour time at work, I am simply used to it and prefer it.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 09:40:57 pm »

Exactly, I totally agree. It's what I've been saying all along. ABS doesn't just decide to brake for you. It simply detects wheel lock and backs off and modulates the brakes - either mechanically or electro-mechanically.

On the public road I much prefer that giving the typical driver some control of their "Truck of Peace" F350 in an emergency is better than letting them lock the brakes and skid into everyone.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 09:43:13 pm »
I like those little blinky things. Sometimes I leave them on for the whole trip !
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 09:44:44 pm »
Exactly, I totally agree.

Sorry, I obviously misinterpreted your reply.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf