Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 1549781 times)

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #10000 on: April 21, 2020, 05:18:54 pm »
Ordered a 300mm × 100mm × 10mm block of 6063 aluminium.  Shipping and handling was three times the price of the material itself :-[.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #10001 on: April 21, 2020, 06:02:21 pm »
Ordered a 300mm × 100mm × 10mm block of 6063 aluminium.  Shipping and handling was three times the price of the material itself :-[.

Ouch!  That hurts...  Shipping is usually what makes me spend too much, especially if it will otherwise be more than the cost of what I need.  Figure "Might as well get some more things if I'm getting whacked for shipping" and proceed to load up.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10002 on: April 21, 2020, 09:12:45 pm »

No local metal suppliers? Its a normal extruded sheet right.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10003 on: April 21, 2020, 09:37:34 pm »
No local metal suppliers? Its a normal extruded sheet right.
Bog-standard 300mm cut from a 6m long EN AW-6063 T6 100mm×10mm extrusion (about 12" of 4"×3/8"), yes.  No, I know of no local metal suppliers in or near Helsinki, that would bother to sell such offcuts to hobbyists like me.  Hafta order from Oulu..  but all told, it was under 20€ (about 21 USD) total, so I'm not complaining too much.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 09:39:18 pm by Nominal Animal »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #10004 on: April 21, 2020, 10:22:22 pm »
New in box dirt cheap in the local market: an Amprobe AM530. Never had a meter from this reputable brand.
975076-0
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10005 on: April 22, 2020, 12:13:28 am »
Finally got a dc adapter set and some USB 3 extension cables. Not shown: powered USB 3 hub.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10006 on: April 22, 2020, 12:22:08 am »

10000 Posts and 1.5 million vicarious views of other peoples purchases....
Clearly we like to watch  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #10007 on: April 22, 2020, 12:43:43 am »
Clearly we like to watch  ;D

Absolutely.
More than three quarters of my equipment and tool purchases over the last 12 months can be blamed attributed to this thread.
Time is the overseer of all things.

Offline IDEngineer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10008 on: April 22, 2020, 12:58:09 am »
Not directly electronic, but...

A 3/8in drive digital torque-angle wrench with a range of 5-100 ft-lbs. Does tracking, peak hold, 10 memories, presets for torque and/or angles, converts to all metric and imperial units, etc. We're doing a bunch of development using various kinds of motors to drive various kinds of loads and in some cases (particularly hydraulics), knowing the load's torque is extremely important. Everyone's existing torque wrenches went up to 250+ ft-lbs because they bought them for working on vehicles, but we're dealing with much smaller values and most torque wrenches aren't accurate in the bottom 20% of their range.

I personally already owned a very small, torsion bar style 1/4in drive torque wrench that reads in in-lbs but its range was too low. Also, difficult to read accurate values from their scale-and-needle "displays".

I've never before seen a torque wrench that also measures angles of rotation. Apparently some fasteners are tightened that way. You set them to a certain position or a certain torque, and then rotate them a prescribed number of degrees past that point. Very interesting.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10009 on: April 22, 2020, 01:12:11 am »
I didn't realize I had hit the 10,000th post in this thread!

More than three quarters of my equipment and tool purchases over the last 12 months can be blamed attributed to this thread.
This thread, and Bad Obsession Motorsport for me.  I hope Nik would be proud: I needed this material for a bracket.  (I need the 10mm thickness for a 3mm grub screw.  No mill, you see.)

I am seriously hankering for a Proxxon MF 70 micro mill.  I could do so many brackets, heatsinks and custom enclosure modifications, and brackets for my Linux SBCs and microcontroller projects (Teensy 4.0 overclocking heatsink maybe?).  Only, getting one would run me dry (I'm broke), and then get me evicted due to noise, as I live in an apartment.  Eh, might have to risk it: I don't like my neighbors much anyway.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10010 on: April 22, 2020, 01:45:24 am »
I've never before seen a torque wrench that also measures angles of rotation. Apparently some fasteners are tightened that way. You set them to a certain position or a certain torque, and then rotate them a prescribed number of degrees past that point. Very interesting.
Not at all uncommon in modern mechanical equipment. Cylinder head bolts are often single use and the degrees of rotation beyond a specified torque is to apply the correct amount of bolt 'stretch' tension.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10011 on: April 22, 2020, 02:04:53 am »
It's mostly due to aluminum being used more. I've never bothered buying one but I used a "manual" angle gauge with my 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" torque wrenches. Even the top of the line wrenches are cheap now. My 3/8" and 1/2" were about $1200 when I bought them, some of the first digital snap-on wrenches..

Offline Black Phoenix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10012 on: April 22, 2020, 02:13:59 pm »
One more thing lost in transit that arrived today:

- LEMO Connector FGG/PFG pair. Obviously is not the original LEMO branded one, since for the use I'm gonna give to them it's hard to justify the retail prices of them.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #10013 on: April 22, 2020, 04:01:03 pm »
I bought one year of 1Password subscription today. Well I got scared by an InfoSec ghost story from a classmate of mine, and decided to immediately fortify my online prescence.

Online 6h8c

• Contributor
  • Analog system
« Reply #10014 on: April 22, 2020, 04:30:07 pm »
I don't stop ... Another meter for the collection. 1K2 resistor measurement
Don't tell my wife how much this fun costs ... I want to live to build.

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #10015 on: April 24, 2020, 08:25:46 am »
Another meter for the collection.

Are these old devices with TH components assembled manually? I mean component placement and soldering. Did they use any assisting tools or techniques? Like, component leads can be shaped and cut in advance.

Offline blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #10016 on: April 24, 2020, 09:11:45 am »
A K210 board, an OV2640 camera and an OV5640 auto focus camera, plus a TFT screen.

Not really for anything, just felt I need to jump on the band wagon of machine learning, and maybe publish some sarcastic works, like the controversial material science journal paper describing doping graphene with bird drops.

Offline purfield

• Contributor
« Reply #10017 on: April 24, 2020, 08:38:01 pm »
I picked up an LPKF ProtoFlow S for $500 at auction.  Hope it works better than my Puhui T962!

Offline IDEngineer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10018 on: April 24, 2020, 08:46:17 pm »
I don't stop ... Another meter for the collection.
Oooh... I have a deep love for Philips T&M equipment. I have a PM3214 scope sitting within arm's reach as I type this. I'm its original owner and it'll probably be buried with me. Your meter looks of the same vintage, they'd look like a family sitting next to each other.

Offline SantaClaw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10019 on: April 25, 2020, 03:04:50 pm »
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32982282829.html

I unpacked this thing today..I'm happy as a... uhm.. happy thing.. Works great! Can tell it's 30 times better than the heated 30w solderpump/plunger thingy I've been using..

I have a second gun for it on it's way, It comes with some spare parts, I plan on having a different tip on it, so I can easily hot swap between two sizes. I do suspect getting the vacuum line on/off will be tiresome in the long haul..

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Super Contributor
  • NW0LF
« Reply #10020 on: April 25, 2020, 09:39:06 pm »
Scored a cheep bench grinder.  I have been looking occasionally and this was on the local Craigslist-Valley BG-6 6", 3/4 HP.  Fairly quiet on power up and very quiet on power down, no bearing noise that I could hear.  It was listed for 6 days when I saw it and figured it was probably gone but I would take a chance.  Just picked it up for the princely sum of $20 USD.  They sell online for twice that new but only come with a 1/2 HP motor.  Now to find a cheep bench drill press. :)

[ Specified attachment is not available ]
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: exe

Online vad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10021 on: April 25, 2020, 10:06:21 pm »
Picked used RTX 2060 Super from Amazon to play with Machine Learning. Expecting to see 2 orders of magnitude performance improvement over otherwise nice K620, when utilizing tensor cores with mixed-precision models...

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #10022 on: April 26, 2020, 10:25:50 am »
Picked used RTX 2060 Super from Amazon to play with Machine Learning. Expecting to see 2 orders of magnitude performance improvement over otherwise nice K620, when utilizing tensor cores with mixed-precision models...
You bought the wrong card. There are two different cores for the RTX 2060: the original RTX 2060 based on TU106, and a newer version based on TU104 that failed to qualify as RTX 2070. While nVidia did turn off features on those failed TU104 to align with TU106 in terms of game feature, a lot of non-game features are left on for whatever reason. Those RTX 2060 TU104 cards can perform close to an RTX 2080 levels when coming to non-gaming tasks like non-real-time rendering, compute and ML.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Online vad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10023 on: April 26, 2020, 03:29:32 pm »
You bought the wrong card. There are two different cores for the RTX 2060: the original RTX 2060 based on TU106, and a newer version based on TU104 that failed to qualify as RTX 2070. While nVidia did turn off features on those failed TU104 to align with TU106 in terms of game feature, a lot of non-game features are left on for whatever reason. Those RTX 2060 TU104 cards can perform close to an RTX 2080 levels when coming to non-gaming tasks like non-real-time rendering, compute and ML.
Yeah, I bought the wrong card. I was looking for Tesla V100S, but strangely I can’t find one in a budget of few hundred dollars.

As for the RTX 2060 Super - it is definitely better for ML than its non-Super siblings both the new (TU104-based) and the old (TU106-based) ones. Significant differences: 2060S has more memory (can train in larger batches), wider memory bus, larger L2 cache. Marginal differences: slightly faster performance (in TFLOPS) due to 2060S having somewhat larger number of CUDA cores and tensor cores that run at slightly faster clock.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_20_series

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Online richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #10024 on: April 26, 2020, 06:28:32 pm »
Scored a cheep bench grinder.  I have been looking occasionally and this was on the local Craigslist-Valley BG-6 6", 3/4 HP.  Fairly quiet on power up and very quiet on power down, no bearing noise that I could hear.  It was listed for 6 days when I saw it and figured it was probably gone but I would take a chance.  Just picked it up for the princely sum of $20 USD.  They sell online for twice that new but only come with a 1/2 HP motor.  Now to find a cheep bench drill press. :)

(Attachment Link)

Nice buy.
Some of these older motors are easy to repair and have standard bearings. In my experience buying older shop equipment (grinder, lathe, drill press, bandsaws, etc..) is once properly repaired is they will outlast the cheap/regular stuff.

Looking at what seems to be embedded metal on the wheels I would invest in a dressing tool and check balance properly before putting it to use. Also a good pair of safety glasses or a full face shield of course.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 10:01:04 pm by richnormand »
REPAIR, RENEW, REUSE, RECYCLE, REDUCE, REPURPOSE....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf