Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2788037 times)

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #10075 on: December 17, 2020, 08:39:04 am »
yea put some 4000$ pink granite parallels in the stockings from starrett
I got a 4 inch thick pink starrett one could make a good valentines gift or something
I would try but I think the weight limit is like 100lb.
I do think that since I have had it the molding in the house looks off and it slightly annoys me.
the pink is supposed to be a better surface that does not stick so much IIRC.

WTF...
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #10076 on: December 17, 2020, 08:45:49 am »
yea you need to treat a 4 inch thick piece of granite like a non stick frying pan for steel and clean it only with ammonia. And its not compatible with aluminum despite being a giant piece of rock. and you can only place things on the edge and slide them over and everything you need to place needs to be cleaned with a sharp clean flat stone.

the whole concept is a massive WTF

its also super hip to use it as a coffee table at work. I assume the bacon egg and cheese aluminum wrapper is a bigger hazard then the bacon grease and ketchup. It's like charging your phone with a jospeh junction to be extra toxic. I hope those were fake youtube comments I read.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 08:52:43 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10077 on: December 18, 2020, 08:46:33 am »
I have a DM41L for several years, it's great! Same software than its grand-mother, with a modern microcontroller.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10078 on: December 18, 2020, 07:51:41 pm »
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10079 on: December 18, 2020, 09:29:17 pm »
I bought myself a wood router for some upcoming wood work projects (including a kitchen renovation). After weighing pros and cons for a long time I settled on the cheapest model from Festool instead of a cheapy for $50. I already have a Festool circular saw (which was a gift) with guide rails and those guide rails can be used with the wood router too. The circular saw is a joy to use so I opted to cry for a day and enjoy a good tool from then on rather than being annoyed with a tool which just doesn't work very well.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 09:34:35 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10080 on: December 20, 2020, 08:53:53 am »
Not a lot to say about this one, except "Yum!"

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10081 on: December 20, 2020, 06:17:14 pm »
What a space-saver. Housing in a lot of places is cramped, so it makes sense to cram a bunch of instruments - and other appliances- together to me.. kinda sorta.. Another idea would be to make them modular, and have a power and maybe some other buses on the back.

This thing is just so hilarious that I just couldn’t resist.
I will only use its Bluetooth speaker functionality in my workshop.
I have no need for the DMM features as I have plenty of other better quality devices.

Surprised you didn't spring for the deluxe AN-8888S model ... or do you already have a toaster in your workshop?

Is that REAL? I guess it is.. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000343031770.html
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10082 on: December 21, 2020, 01:21:05 am »
I got some high CRI LED strips from Cutter. It's the SSK-1560ZGE-50299NIC model. CRI average of 99 with an R9 value of 94, this is probably as close as it gets to sunlight. It uses the Nichia 757 Optisolis series for applications like museums/art galleries. Very popular with the horticulture crowd too.

Hmmm fairly pleased with it, I will have to make some heatsinks and drive it harder to see how it performs. I'm actually surprised on how well the NEC quad phosphor tubes perform, they were well worth the extra money compared to normal fluorescent tubes.

I'm still searching for something that can perform as well as my headlamp modded with a Nichia E21A 4500k R9080 (in terms of tint, deviation from black body locus). A lot of stores tend to make things with the higher flux bins but they are too green which is a pain. The LED strips I got were a blend so it sort of helps alleviate the tint problem.

I reaaaally don't want to resort to tint mixing with different strips because powering them might get a little complicated compared to just slapping them on a Meanwell LED driver. But the control I could have...  :P

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10083 on: December 21, 2020, 06:28:20 pm »
I just got my own test lead hanger from a custom laser cutting service. I decided to make my own rather than purchasing an off the shelf version as I didn't want to mount it on the wall and I had a limited amount of space on my bench with already determined screw holes. I made the entire thing in Altium.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Shock, thm_w, Trader

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10084 on: December 22, 2020, 12:54:50 pm »
I accidentally found out AMOLED can visualize IR laser (presumably due to non linear frequency doubling effects), and I thought it was a good idea to use my phone to find the focal distance of my 8W freaking fiber diode module :palm:.

You pointed a laser directly at your phone screen? If the laser is a 808/915/980 your phone camera will pick it up (sorta). Just use a white business card as a target and look at it through your phone camera. But beware, cameras are even more sensitive to lasers than human eyes so don't put the camera directly in the beam path and just look at the reflection. Used that trick with some 20W 980 diodes, worked like a charm.

Online _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10085 on: December 22, 2020, 01:27:08 pm »
Also as suggested, a pair of certified 405nm, 445nm and 1064nm combo goggles.
:-+

I think I'll make a video on those units soon.
Yes, interested!

BTW, don't play with lasers when you anticipate a brain fart. I just did so and blasted a large permanent black dot on my phone.
Mistakes are indeed quickly make. As long as it is only a phone and not an eye, your still doing ok :-)

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Online gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #10086 on: December 29, 2020, 11:59:15 am »
MLX90640 was delivered this morning in a Digikey's small box that I have never seen before.  :)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10087 on: December 29, 2020, 12:51:29 pm »
MLX90640 was delivered this morning in a Digikey's small box that I have never seen before.  :)

Wow saving the trees finally  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #10088 on: December 29, 2020, 03:14:58 pm »
@gamalot, I am unsure what you order, but for years I have received these boxes from Digikey. Perhaps because I used to get mostly small sorts o ICs and parts, not jumbo sized things  ;D
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: mairo

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10089 on: December 29, 2020, 08:04:26 pm »
@gamalot, I am unsure what you order, but for years I have received these boxes from Digikey. Perhaps because I used to get mostly small sorts o ICs and parts, not jumbo sized things
Same here. I get that exact package all the time.

DigiKey has an amazing assortment of box sizes and shapes. Recently I ordered some large diameter heat shrink tubing and instead of folding or rolling it, they shipped it in a big tubular box. Still had the complete DigiKey logo on it and everything so it wasn't a one-off.

FYI, our Production department buys large volumes from them and those shipments come in traditional larger boxes.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #10090 on: December 30, 2020, 08:03:50 am »
Yea, my digikey and mouser boxes have always been denser than RS and Farnell who seem to be in love with space filling with cellulose.

Offline msuffidy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10091 on: December 31, 2020, 10:44:09 pm »
Orico Bluetooth 4 adapter $11.30 Canadian after tax. Purchased so I can use my computer with a microphone as a phone without having to go over to where it is hooked by wire into something.

I used the source from
https://github.com/heinervdm/nohands

which seems to only work with oss but works with the gnome desktop pretty solid by using the pulse to oss wrapper.
So I just use 'padsp hfstandalone' whereas it is configured to driver oss and  /dev/dsp

As a spin off I can now record phone conversations by using for example obs.
Here is just a random test one(for how long I leave it up):  https://web.ncf.ca/fs864/pickup/message4.mp3
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:19:19 pm by msuffidy »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #10092 on: January 01, 2021, 12:08:06 am »
2/3 AA and full AA flat-top NiCd cells to rebuild battery packs in a Fluke 731B DC Standard and a 510A AC Standard.  Battery tab/strap welder should be here on Monday.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #10093 on: January 01, 2021, 02:56:01 pm »
2021 hoards !!!   ::)

At local brick&mortar shop, saw these extincted 2.5 Volt bulbs, 50 pcs just for <5 bucks, instant impulse and hoarding nerves kicked in and bought them instantly without hesitation at all.  :palm:

Worst, after paying, kept making self excuse that maybe these will be useful someday in the future ... and was thinking hard, and suddenly the low distortion Wien Bridge Oscillator circuit that needs incand. bulb pop out, and what a relief to self that finally found a good excuse for the purchase.  :palm:  :palm:  :palm:

Also ordered the glow in the dark powder, green and blue colored, each vial contain 10 grams, going to use it with clear resin to paint some spots that I need to be visible while in the dark when power outage happened.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 04:29:25 pm by BravoV »

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10094 on: January 01, 2021, 07:04:05 pm »
I was after those tiny light bulbs for some time until I found them. They were intended for didactic purposes.

The following users thanked this post: Shock, duckduck

Offline lukego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10095 on: January 02, 2021, 07:17:28 am »
CO2 fire extinguisher after seeing people talk about them here. I'm still working out how to use it safely though i.e. to manage the risk of suffocating myself and others in a CO2 cloud. This seems to be highly non-trivial. I'll look for proper training once Covid eases off a bit.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #10096 on: January 02, 2021, 08:54:25 am »
CO2 fire extinguisher after seeing people talk about them here. I'm still working out how to use it safely though i.e. to manage the risk of suffocating myself and others in a CO2 cloud. This seems to be highly non-trivial. I'll look for proper training once Covid eases off a bit.

The conflict might just arise from the fact that CO2 extinguishers are more effective indoors than outside. I've had training on both powder and CO2, outdoors (Did 7 months unarmed service at an airport fire brigade, as radio operator), and there is an art to putting out, say, an engine compartment fire, with CO2.  The general idea is to just open the bonnet enough to get the nozzle in and burst away. We also had an open "fire tray" of roughly 1m square with diesel sprinklers and a propane pilot flame. When turned to 11 it was a bit of a challenge with CO2. But I did it.

Anywhere you want to keep going after taking the fire out, CO2 is preferable, of course, because the cleaning from having used powder is going to be more expensive than the damage from the fire. Best example is the kitchen, with electronics a good second.

Offline ChristofferB

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
« Reply #10097 on: January 02, 2021, 03:21:29 pm »
Lecroy Qvt 3001 analyzer!

This one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303612819355

Ended up costing an arm and a leg to ship, won't be here for a month but I'm stoked!

Combined multi-channel analyzer, pulse height analyzer, pulse area analyzer, and time histogram analyzer in one neat NIM module!

It uses an oscilloscope in X/Y mode as display! It can directly interface PMT's or electron multipliers without preamp!

Oh and there's all sorts of expansion modules for CAMAC, RS232, or GPIB interfacing.

It's basically a catch-all instrument for alpha and gamma spectroscopy, XRF, time of flight mass spectrometry, cosmic ray astronomy and more!

1143492-0
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 03:32:44 pm by ChristofferB »
--Christoffer //IG:Chromatogiraffery
Check out my scientific instruments diy (GC, HPLC, NMR, etc) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8l6SdZuRuoSdze1dIpzAQ

The following users thanked this post: TerraHertz

Online Adrian_Arg.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10098 on: January 06, 2021, 12:04:56 am »
 Adjustable Laboratory power suply -t 0-30v 0-5a Utp3315tfl-ii, my old equipment literally blew up, it was home built.
IMG-20210105-204559" border="0

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10099 on: January 06, 2021, 02:44:39 pm »
There's a new kid in my little town.
Siglent SPD3303X-E (let's see if it will loose the 'E' one of these days)

Bought it from Welectron, and they stated on the website that wont process orders before 4th of January, but they did in my case  :-+.
So it arrived today, despite DHL has messed up and travelled the package around the country before delivery.   :phew:

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 03:09:56 pm by Mortymore »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf