Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 1566170 times)

jogri, mweymarn and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #10150 on: June 19, 2020, 10:41:24 am »
A new meter...
Physically, it is almost perfect.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

The following users thanked this post: HighVoltage, tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10151 on: June 19, 2020, 10:48:35 am »
Ersa i-Con Nano to replace my good old Voltcraft solder station, whose iron what not so good and for which tips are no more available.
I'm still having problem to configure the Nano with a micro SD card. It is supposed to accept 16GB cards, but not the one I have. I'll try to downsize the card to 8GB and see if it works.
I have the nano, it works well!

(Micro) SD cards can be SD, SDHC, or SDXC. I don’t know whether the nano supports SDHC or SDXC, that could be the issue. I can check once I’m at home.

You can do all the configuration without an SD card as far as I can remember. The card option is really only there to save time when you need to set multiple units to the same settings.

McBryce.
You must be thinking of the “big” i-Con stations. The nano and pico can only be configured via SD — they have no menus or settings on the unit.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10152 on: June 19, 2020, 11:06:26 am »
Oops, you're right. It's a while since I owned that model. Temperature and calibration can be done without an SD card, the rest is only via SD card. I upgraded to an iCon 2V a while ago because I got fed up having to swap tips.

McBryce.

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10153 on: June 20, 2020, 06:54:34 am »
Thx Tooki. The guy at Ersa didn't mention the type of the SD card. He just told me to verify the version of the software and to try to insert the card several times... I'll really appreciate if you could confirm that this is the problem, and after that the challenge will be to find a non-HC or XC micro-card, as there are no more on the market!

PS: on the Ersa website, they say 2-16 GB formatted FAT8, 16 or 32. SD are limited to 2GB and FAT16, so SDHC should be supported...
PPS: finally found another 16GB micro-SD card which worked. Don't know why the other won't...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 02:37:26 pm by Gixy »

Online mansaxel

• Frequent Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #10154 on: June 20, 2020, 11:08:19 am »
Add one vote for the I-con Nano. It's my daily driver, but is getting some competition from my TS100 which lives in the traveling kit.

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #10155 on: June 20, 2020, 11:22:54 am »
Add one vote for the I-con Nano. It's my daily driver, but is getting some competition from my TS100 which lives in the traveling kit.

Do you have the TS80? If you are happy with TS100, I think TS80 won't fail you. It just added some new tips into its selection, including a nice knife tip and a bend long conical tip.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10156 on: June 20, 2020, 12:03:55 pm »
Thx Tooki. The guy at Ersa didn't mention the type of the SD card. He just told me to verify the version of the software and to try to insert the card several times... I'll really appreciate if you could confirm that this is the problem, and after that the challenge will be to find a non-HC or XC micro-card, as there are no more on the market!

PS: on the Ersa website, they say 2-16 GB formatted FAT8, 16 or 32. SD are limited to 2GB and FAT16, so SDHC should be supported...
The card I bought for my nano appears to be a 4GB Samsung SDHC, formatted as FAT32 with MBR partitioning. Based on the disk name, I suspect I temporarily borrowed it to test a handheld audio recorder, so it was likely formatted in that device.

Yeah, I don’t deal with SD enough to know the size brackets by heart. (As for the file system, you certainly can use a newer file system on a smaller SD card, or a non-FAT filesystem altogether. I mean, it won’t work on almost any gadget, but computers can handle it just fine! :p An SD card makes for a nifty portable boot disk for computer troubleshooting, albeit a generally slow one!) I vaguely recall there being a period where some sizes of SD cards existed in both the older and newer hardware types, such that incompatibility sometimes occurred.

Online mansaxel

• Frequent Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #10157 on: June 20, 2020, 01:36:55 pm »

Do you have the TS80? If you are happy with TS100, I think TS80 won't fail you. It just added some new tips into its selection, including a nice knife tip and a bend long conical tip.

No, didn't know of the TS80, so had to look at Dave's video. Yeah, I can see why. Definitely want.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10158 on: June 20, 2020, 07:13:09 pm »
A vintage White case.

Offline pidcon

• Contributor
« Reply #10159 on: June 28, 2020, 08:58:40 am »
I bought a few PB Swiss precision screwdrivers.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #10160 on: June 28, 2020, 10:43:48 pm »
Got a Prusa 3D printer last Friday. Just finished the assembly today, tested, and first print.. :-+

Assembling the kit is nice and the book well written.
As well the website support features the latest changes and peoples comments on each steps and modules.
This is also good to know each bolt and adjustment on the unit for the future.

Birthday gift from my SO.
REPAIR, RENEW, REUSE, RECYCLE, REBUILD, REDUCE, REPURPOSE....

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, djos, beanflying

Offline CalMachine

• Frequent Contributor
  • Metrology Nut
« Reply #10161 on: June 29, 2020, 12:22:44 am »
Got a Prusa 3D printer last Friday. Just finished the assembly today, tested, and first print.. :-+

Assembling the kit is nice and the book well written.
As well the website support features the latest changes and peoples comments on each steps and modules.
This is also good to know each bolt and adjustment on the unit for the future.

Great choice in a printer :)  Did you ration your gummy bears properly!?

I've had the I3 MK3s for a little over a year now... it's been a great printer. 
All your volts are belong to me

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #10162 on: June 29, 2020, 01:29:40 am »

Hmmm.. nope!
Reserved for she that gave it to me..... 8)
Some things are just enjoyed better together.

REPAIR, RENEW, REUSE, RECYCLE, REBUILD, REDUCE, REPURPOSE....

The following users thanked this post: CalMachine

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #10163 on: June 29, 2020, 12:17:25 pm »
So now I have 64GB of RAM.  It is more than anyone could reasonably need for a desktop system.  I originally upgraded from 32GB when I moved to a Ryzen 7, as during large FPGA builds I was getting memory allocation failures (often bumping on 28-29GB of usage.)  But I doubt I will ever begin to use this allocation. At least the OS can use it for caching.  I wonder if I can force Windows' caching policy to be more aggressive, often it leaves >20GB unallocated.
I don't think Windows would ever do much caching at all for a desktop-ish machine. On my dual socket machine with 128GB RAM and Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, it uses just about as much space for cache as yours do. And this is already a server-ish machine with a supposed Windows Server derived kernel.

Offline CalMachine

• Frequent Contributor
  • Metrology Nut
« Reply #10164 on: June 29, 2020, 12:21:13 pm »

Hmmm.. nope!
Reserved for she that gave it to me..... 8)
Some things are just enjoyed better together.

Good call ;D
All your volts are belong to me

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #10165 on: July 01, 2020, 03:17:13 pm »
Ordered a pair of Xeon E5-2696v2 CPUs for my 7-year-old HPC workstation. The price was US$100 each, and I can what is equivalent to Ryzen TR 1700X performance out of the pair of processors without replacing the whole machine.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Escaping The Suck*
« Reply #10166 on: July 01, 2020, 04:55:31 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Octane

Offline fkfaraz

• Contributor
« Reply #10167 on: July 02, 2020, 06:58:01 pm »
My new baby A Fluke 187..... :P :P :P :P :P

Got it for 139 usd from a so called electrical engineer( Because 10A fuse was installed at 400ma fuse place |O :-- :palm: :palm: Glad i first opened it  :phew: :phew:)

Comes only with probes though and is the most expensive equipment on my workbench right now.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10168 on: July 02, 2020, 10:29:50 pm »

SQUEEEEEEE!  ;D

mnem's Bench: MasTech MS-8911 LCR Tweezer Mini-Review

mnem
 :-/O

mnementh, have you tested this tweezers with in-circuit components? I already have a HP4070C smd tweezers and a DE-5000 LCR meter, but I've been watching this Mastech MS8911 as an alternative to measure components on the board without have to de-solder them. It uses a low test voltage and should works fine for that.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #10169 on: July 03, 2020, 04:09:57 pm »
Microcheap, might I recommend that you read the review that mnem spent time writing up and even linked to in his post for your convenience? You've quoted the link in your reply. :-//
I TEA.

Offline AlexJackson

• Contributor
« Reply #10170 on: July 03, 2020, 06:22:15 pm »
My latest purchase is the Rigol DS1054Z scope last month. After wanting a scope since I was a teen, at 40 I finally own a scope. Sure its not as fancy as a lot of the other ones but after seeing Dave's video on the DS1054, and its "options" it was a no-brainer especially at $370 shipped. I haven't really done anything fancy with it besides clipping to a few things here and there to "learn" the functions.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, tooki, Mr. Scram

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #10171 on: July 03, 2020, 06:25:02 pm »
mnementh, have you tested this tweezers with in-circuit components? I already have a HP4070C smd tweezers and a DE-5000 LCR meter, but I've been watching this Mastech MS8911 as an alternative to measure components on the board without have to de-solder them. It uses a low test voltage and should works fine for that.
I have one too and it works fine in circuit.

The following users thanked this post: Microcheap

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #10172 on: July 03, 2020, 08:46:57 pm »
My latest purchase is the Rigol DS1054Z scope last month. After wanting a scope since I was a teen, at 40 I finally own a scope. Sure its not as fancy as a lot of the other ones but after seeing Dave's video on the DS1054, and its "options" it was a no-brainer especially at $370 shipped. I haven't really done anything fancy with it besides clipping to a few things here and there to "learn" the functions.

Congrats on your first scope! Have fun!
I TEA.

Offline IDEngineer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10173 on: July 04, 2020, 05:26:53 pm »
My latest purchase is the Rigol DS1054Z scope last month. After wanting a scope since I was a teen, at 40 I finally own a scope.
Getting your first scope is like losing your virginity. You never forget your first!

The 1054 is a fine choice. You'll learn a LOT and have fun in the process. Just be forewarned, scopes can be addictive. You'll find yourself rationalizing all sorts of "reasons" why you need another, or one with more bandwidth, or deeper memory, or 10-12 bit A/D's, or a larger screen, or....

Welcome to the lifestyle!  :-+

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #10174 on: July 05, 2020, 04:26:13 am »
Here is a little keyword you may want to search, both on Google and on this forum: Riglol.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf