Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2781694 times)

Vgkid and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #10200 on: February 10, 2021, 12:17:07 pm »
I'm still waiting for stuff I ordered from China in November! For a difference €3 I have no problem ordering them locally.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10201 on: February 11, 2021, 12:53:35 am »
I bought 500g of lead based solder from RS Components!

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10202 on: February 11, 2021, 07:56:00 am »
I bought a Keithley DMM6500 which arrived yesterday. An amazing piece of equipment.

McBryce.

Online Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10203 on: February 13, 2021, 03:24:58 am »
Heathkit IO-102, I ran out of functional scopes a while ago and this was $20 (complete with the build manual!) and down the road, 5 MHz single channel is good enough for most of what I'm into anyway. Mostly works, builder did a semi acceptable job, acts like the HV and maybe lower rails are low (haven't measured yet) but all the bigger carbon comp resistors on the power board and in the HV divider have drifted up 50+%, so that and a couple electrolytics should put it right. Came with graticle, I just pulled it off for cleaning.
That was my first oscilloscope. I purchased it through a chance conversation with a television tech when I was 14.  The biggest issue with it besides bandwidth is that it is not triggered.  I ended up blowing the entire vertical amp with a brief contact to a flyback lead.
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

Offline Larryc001

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10204 on: February 13, 2021, 04:05:22 am »
I bought a Cook Islands $3 bill with a naked lady riding a shark. A TM500 extender card. Carbon fiber upper fairing for my BMW S1000RR motorcycle. Two motor drives and battery cases for my Nikon F cameras. And a few other bits and pieces. I hope my wife doesn’t read this. Haha

Online BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10205 on: February 13, 2021, 05:06:18 am »
Heathkit IO-102, I ran out of functional scopes a while ago and this was $20 (complete with the build manual!) and down the road, 5 MHz single channel is good enough for most of what I'm into anyway. Mostly works, builder did a semi acceptable job, acts like the HV and maybe lower rails are low (haven't measured yet) but all the bigger carbon comp resistors on the power board and in the HV divider have drifted up 50+%, so that and a couple electrolytics should put it right. Came with graticle, I just pulled it off for cleaning.
That was my first oscilloscope. I purchased it through a chance conversation with a television tech when I was 14.  The biggest issue with it besides bandwidth is that it is not triggered.  I ended up blowing the entire vertical amp with a brief contact to a flyback lead.

It claims to have an auto sync function that sorta works and has some set and forget adjustment procedure in the manual, I intend to do a full alignment after the quick refurb. I'm sure I could cook up a better trigger if need be.

As for blowing out the front end that's part of the appeal of it, the entire BOM of the vertical amp in this thing can't be much over 10 bucks in jellybean parts. I might keep it after acquiring something nicer just for poking places I probably shouldn't.

Offline rfclown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10206 on: February 13, 2021, 08:46:44 pm »
Two Inmarsat antennas. Opened boxes, but never used. Will be going on eBay when I can figure out what to ask. I believe that I have the complete system for one. Haven't opened all boxes yet.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10207 on: February 14, 2021, 05:50:03 am »
Would 'complete system' include the satellites?

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10208 on: February 14, 2021, 11:55:47 am »
Would 'complete system' include the satellites?

Sure! Just pick one of your choice

https://platform.leolabs.space/visualizations/leo

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #10209 on: February 14, 2021, 12:11:34 pm »
iratus parum formica

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10210 on: February 14, 2021, 12:21:12 pm »
I bought a Keithley DMM6500 which arrived yesterday. An amazing piece of equipment.

McBryce.

It is, especially the digitzer and graphing capabilities including averaging making the digitizer resolution far better than the bare specs would suggest: in that way it is significantly better than the Keysight 34465A.

However the UI I find to be a dog's breakfast, it might look sexy but figuring out how to use it takes some patience and plenty of RTFM.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10211 on: February 14, 2021, 12:24:54 pm »
Most useful tool I never knew I needed - spot welder for batteries:

1173878-0

Most disappointing tool but have since found a use for - mini board preheater:

1173882-1
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 12:26:42 pm by Howardlong »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10212 on: February 15, 2021, 08:32:32 pm »
Most useful tool I never knew I needed - spot welder for batteries:

(Attachment Link)

Most disappointing tool but have since found a use for - mini board preheater:

(Attachment Link)

Link for the welder?

McBryce.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #10213 on: February 15, 2021, 08:45:42 pm »
Link for the welder?

McBryce.

Yes please, I second that request...
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #10215 on: February 15, 2021, 10:03:29 pm »
may be more something like this one : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001666428416.html
?

The following users thanked this post: Mr.B, McBryce

Offline ChristofferB

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
« Reply #10216 on: February 16, 2021, 10:49:40 pm »
2 x soviet VEU-6 channel electron multipliers (chenneltrons)! These are strange little ion/electron detectors for mass spectrometers and electron analyzers. With original datasheets and test data.

I also got 2 Ortec VT120C fast preamplifiers to amplify the output pulses.

I found this old paper that uses 2 channeltrons as a Time-Of-Flight mass spectrometer. A channeltron can apparantly also be an electron source if you shine UV light or beta particles at it!

--Christoffer //IG:Chromatogiraffery
Check out my scientific instruments diy (GC, HPLC, NMR, etc) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8l6SdZuRuoSdze1dIpzAQ

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #10217 on: February 17, 2021, 02:16:22 am »
A Logitech K400 Plus keyboard with integrated touchpad instead of a numeric keypad:

Mainly, I'm interested to see if I can speed up zooming/panning in Inkscape, Gimp, EasyEDA, KiCad, by using my own Linux userspace daemon that grabs the touchpad, and produces customized events and controls instead of mouse movement when in "tool mode".  I use a mouse to control the pointer, but my working style in these is such that I zoom and pan very often, and I'd rather use my left hand to do that (separately from my mouse control).

Alas, I'm right-handed, and keep my mouse on the right side of the keyboard, so the touch pad is really on the wrong side for me.  But the fact that this keyboard is narrower than full-sized keyboards, helps.

If it does not work out, I can always donate it to a family member who has a media center but no wireless keyboard for it.

(This was inspired by Simon's Programmable keyboard topic, although my use case is obviously different.  I initially described the idea in this post.)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10218 on: February 17, 2021, 02:44:16 am »
A Logitech K400 Plus keyboard with integrated touchpad instead of a numeric keypad:

Mainly, I'm interested to see if I can speed up zooming/panning in Inkscape, Gimp, EasyEDA, KiCad, by using my own Linux userspace daemon that grabs the touchpad, and produces customized events and controls instead of mouse movement when in "tool mode".  I use a mouse to control the pointer, but my working style in these is such that I zoom and pan very often, and I'd rather use my left hand to do that (separately from my mouse control).

Alas, I'm right-handed, and keep my mouse on the right side of the keyboard, so the touch pad is really on the wrong side for me.  But the fact that this keyboard is narrower than full-sized keyboards, helps.

If it does not work out, I can always donate it to a family member who has a media center but no wireless keyboard for it.

(This was inspired by Simon's Programmable keyboard topic, although my use case is obviously different.  I initially described the idea in this post.)

I have two of them. One in the Bedroom works great and the other on my Laser is fine for tweaks of designs or cutting profiles but as an everyday keyboard not so much.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10219 on: February 17, 2021, 03:10:26 am »
Got this nice little board holder yesterday. I need a board holder that is flat. I like to rest as much of my arms as I can on the table surface. The magnets hold the board tightly and they can be placed anywhere on the plate. I think it will probably work out well for small boards.

https://www.amazon.com/Kaisi-general-stainless-adjustable-circuit/dp/B0871WC49W/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Kaisi+general+DIY+stainless+steel&qid=1613535886&sr=8-1

Also: see this thread for more board holders, https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/pcb-holders/msg2828478/#msg2828478 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:25:07 am by DrG »
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10220 on: February 17, 2021, 08:00:16 am »
I have this one :
https://sensepeek.com/
with the associated probes, very handy and useful.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #10221 on: February 17, 2021, 09:41:24 am »
I have two of them. One in the Bedroom works great and the other on my Laser is fine for tweaks of designs or cutting profiles but as an everyday keyboard not so much.
I also have one and it works well, although i don't use it for everyday typing but instead on a media computer. The small form factor and the excellent wireless controller are key features for me.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10222 on: February 17, 2021, 08:55:05 pm »
Some GPS modules FALCOM A2D for an unbeatable price  ^-^ , are they still usable:

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10223 on: February 17, 2021, 09:28:48 pm »
I ordered a "Nerdy Gurdy" kit. Its a DIY Kit to built your own hurdy gurdy from lasercut and 3D printed parts. I am so excited to start building this thing and learn to play it :D I think it'll be lots of fun.
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10224 on: February 17, 2021, 09:46:16 pm »
A couple of 18 GHz N-SMA 1m cables very nicely made by Rosenberger for Siglent.
https://www.siglenteu.com/accessory/n-sma-18l/

Don't ask the price.  :palm:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf