Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754037 times)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #10275 on: March 08, 2021, 07:55:34 am »
I bought a Sony DPT-S1 e-reader thing. I'd been looking for one for a while, but they are pretty difficult to find (in Europe at least) for a decent price. I have a standard sized e-reader with all my datasheets / docs stored on it, but A4 pages are unreadable without zooming and scrolling. With the DPT I can reference the datasheets a lot more comfortably.

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: BFX

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10276 on: March 08, 2021, 12:50:55 pm »
Got myself another oldtimer from Knick, this time it's a mV meter that goes down to 150uV fullscale (yes, i definitely "needed" another mV meter).

Classic case of "well, it looked smaller when i bought it", this thing dwarfs the BM235.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #10277 on: March 08, 2021, 10:53:27 pm »
As a follow up to my post here

I found out the SN-28B isn't "The One" as far as crimpers for the header pins. After more research "The One" is the Engineer brand PA-09. It simply does the job better than the SN-28B crimper you see sold with a lot of sets. Even though the SN-28B does both crimps at the same time, they aren't as perfect as the PA-09. So now I have one.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10278 on: March 08, 2021, 11:00:44 pm »
I really like sensors. Always have. I know well that the accuracy of any sensor depends on your ability to evaluate it against standards. To be sure, a sensor can still have some utility in the absence of such evaluations, but I know that one should never forget the dependency on standards.

Further, I would state categorically that I would not recommend that anyone go cheap with any safety product. That being said, I picked up one of these:

~US$30 https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Natural-Detector-Combustible-Flammable/dp/B08MDX5F1C

I tested it out against a gas stove; quick lit and extinguished and held on for a few seconds without lighting. The product has a decent response and that was encouraging.

I tested it with an open bottle of 99% EtOH and it also alarmed.

Close inspection reveals that the sensor is a Winsen device - my guess is a ZP04. Not sure if/when I will break it down.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 11:03:15 pm by DrG »
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, thm_w, BU508A, Mortymore

Offline DeanA

• Regular Contributor
    • Design Electronics
« Reply #10279 on: March 09, 2021, 03:40:08 am »
New IT-M7721 AC Power source.
First impressions:
  Fan very high pitch and noisy.
  Looks like some damage to Enter switch on front panel.
  Remote interface optional.  IT7321 (BK9801) had LAN, USB and RS232 as standard.

Offline DeanA

• Regular Contributor
    • Design Electronics
« Reply #10280 on: March 09, 2021, 04:42:17 am »
First impressions:

And an uncomfortable buzz during power on. Also, fan quality control is bad, some are quieter, some are noisier when output is enabled but not loaded. We have three of those, and they all sound differently.

Otherwise the electrical performance is good, the size is small, and the price, nothing beats free gears. We got them for free, so nothing to complain about.

Damm, just noticed Power factor is only 2 decimal places,  IT7321 (BK9801) had 3 decimal places,  the spec I'm working to says I need greater than 0.99  power factor, so 3rd decimal place is important to me believe it or not.  Blueskull, do you know if 3 decimal place for PF available through remote interface?

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10281 on: March 09, 2021, 09:18:31 pm »
Today I was happy to sort through a big parcel that arrived- some measuring gizmos, and some Photodiodes and Opamps not in the picture.
As I am also doing some work on a breadboard (and an Arduino is also waiting for me) some 4mm to Dupont cables were very nice, so that i can put those directly to my multimeter.
I also got a BNC to dupont cable for connecting that to a scope.
And some small nifty adapters to connect some wire to BNC, that my scope can be happy too  8)

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10282 on: March 10, 2021, 07:26:24 pm »
First impressions:

May I ask, how much you paid for this nice AC psu
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #10283 on: March 12, 2021, 05:39:19 am »
I ran out of small heatshrink tubing again. So decided to fix that once and for all. Bought 50m (10 x 5m) each of 2mm, 3mm and 5mm dia heatshink from an Aliexpress store. This will be a lifetime supply. No really, it will, I'm 65 and can't imagine I'd use this up.

It arrived today. In a remarkably small package. I wondered how they got it that small. On opening, turns out they tightly rolled each length and stuffed it into a small ziplock bag. Pretty clever way to minimize postage cost.

But... the result is a crimp in the tubes, every few cm. Rats... It's not _important_, the crimps go away when shrinking the tube, but they are annoying when cutting a lot of short lengths and fitting on wires, etc. Oh well. Now I have a lifetime supply of annoyingly crimped heatshrink.

The longer they're left in the little bags the worse the crimps will get, so I unrolled and large-bagged them all. Took a while. I'd have rather paid a bit more for postage, and received it in natural-curve sized rolls.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10284 on: March 12, 2021, 08:19:52 am »
Nice.
Now you'll want the same size sleeve in different colors !  >:D
It never ends !  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #10285 on: March 13, 2021, 09:20:18 am »

It arrived today. In a remarkably small package. I wondered how they got it that small. On opening, turns out they tightly rolled each length and stuffed it into a small ziplock bag. Pretty clever way to minimize postage cost.

Only in countries where labour is borderline free will this be a sensible way to get an edge on the competition. Especially since it does nothing for the weight, and I assume that, postal-rately, weight still trumps volume when the sleeve is expanded to its natural circumference.

Food for thought. I am not without guilt -- I just managed to get 50 DPDT toggle switches for 1/4" hole, from China, where buying them from someone like Mouser or even TDM would be prohibitively expensive for my renovation project.  Am happy, though, that they evaded the customs fees (of which not the import VAT but instead the handling fee more often is the prohibitive one) somehow.

Another purchase turned up yesterday, 5 T-shirts from the UK. UK mail and parcels get worse handling than China since 2021-01-01, so on top of 2-week delay, was slapped with VAT and import handling.

But it sure must be good for business to be liberated from the tyrants in Brussels. Oh, yeah.

Online Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10286 on: March 13, 2021, 11:44:33 am »
I just fetched a late (1989) HP5335A Counter in nice working condition from 20 km away for 285 Euro.
It runs both, short and long self test without problems and shows the GPIB "Addr." with the ".", meaning it has the newer firmware.
the Pabst fan is roaring like a V8 engine but delivers a substancial airflow.

The power button needs re-gluing but I have it at least. Any tip what glue would be best? Hot glue, epoxy, ...?
Edit 15.03.21: Meanwhile I managed to drill and cut rests of the white bar out of the button. The remaining bar had a short length left to stick into the button. So it was easy to mount with a little hot glue.

The picture shows a 1 kHz sinus signal from Siglent SDG 2042X.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:21:06 am by Peter_O »

Offline rfclown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10287 on: March 14, 2021, 07:31:48 pm »
Got a NanoVNA V2_2 S-A-A-2 from Nooelec. I have HP VNAs, but wanted to see what it is capable of. Description said 50kHz-3GHz, but it lets you sweep to 4.4GHz. First glance looks like it will be VERY useful if you:

1. only use the load and short cal pieces (the ones that came with mine are good)
2. skip using the open (I don't understand it. better to leave port1 connector open when doing open cal)
3. never EVER use the "thru" cal piece. ALWAYS use mating connectors for your intertable DUT. If your DUT isn't insertable, make it so by adding an adapter, not by screwing up your calibration.
4. put an attenuator at the end of your port2 cable  (the match of port2 isn't great).

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline DeanA

• Regular Contributor
    • Design Electronics
« Reply #10288 on: March 14, 2021, 11:00:00 pm »
First impressions:

May I ask, how much you paid for this nice AC psu

It was $2,776.00 AUD plus 10% GST and $25 shipping.  From local agent here in Australia.
I sort of wish I had bought the older model IT7321 (which is the same as BK9801) now.  The newer model IT-M7721 has some additional features such as THD measurement and waveform generation, but the PF reading on front panel is only 2 decimal places, remote connection is optional extra and fan noise is terrible.  Trying to sort these issues out with the local distributor now.
I went back and had a look at original quote from the local distributor and it says:
"The above products are indent items.
Indent items cannot be cancelled or returned once ordered."
Not much advantage in ordering from these local distributors (with what I'm guessing is a huge markup) if it can't be returned anyway.  Not sure what the price is in China, but even items from tequipment.net in the US are often a lot cheaper than the local Australian distributors prices.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #10289 on: March 15, 2021, 09:01:41 am »
A pressure rice cooker!  ;D

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, bd139

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #10290 on: March 15, 2021, 11:37:01 pm »
Just bought a GU-5B triode, up to 5kV and 110MHz.
 A dream for semiconductors....

I've seen a person with a good sense of humor has made an audio amplifier out of a couple of these. I read the spec sheet and thought that one of these would make a lovely electric bass guitar amplifier until I realized that I can't afford the power or cooling to make it class A, so I'd need two of those silly tubes to make it class AB. After this, I let the dream go...

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10291 on: March 16, 2021, 12:11:39 am »
I just received a NanoVNA-H4 from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085CFHTBM that had 3 stackable discounts; I paid $62 yankee bucks and thought it would be worth the price for educational purposes.
Thanks to Joe Smith and his wonderful videos for steering me towards this purchase. 

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10292 on: March 16, 2021, 11:57:58 am »
10 Playthings for $50AUD delivered. Sort of a random thing but if 1/2 work I am well in front. A few will finish up sitting in my stash of Green Beans and at a few pesos each the others will get thrown around the house/shack Commercial Fridges and yard for fun and a look later. Temperature Dataloggers btw.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10293 on: March 16, 2021, 09:07:48 pm »
Surviving Mars - First Colony Edition

I already had the base game, but this was on sale for 75% off, cheaper than buying all the DLC separately.

https://www.gog.com/game/surviving_mars_first_colony_edition

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10294 on: March 16, 2021, 09:11:18 pm »
Surviving Mars - First Colony Edition

Gosh ... I thought Elon Musk wrote a book.  :phew:
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #10295 on: March 17, 2021, 10:47:20 am »
Ten stainless steel trays, and a bunch of wire in both hi-flex silicone, and PTFE insulation.
Only 5 trays in the pic. They came in two separate packages, and the first 5 are already in use.

The trays are from Aliexpress "001 Cheerful Life Store"   So very Chinese name.
35 x 25 x 1.5CM, US$6.13 each.  Fairly thin stainless, but they'll do. Current use: sorting out a bunch of mixed components in a static free manner.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #10296 on: March 17, 2021, 10:54:13 am »
A power meter from the bay of evil:

Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #10297 on: March 17, 2021, 11:39:25 am »
Rode smartLav+ microphone

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10298 on: March 18, 2021, 08:07:09 am »
A SinoPharm covid shot on the first day (today) it was made available to the general public here in Shenzhen.
:clap:
Single jab or needs a 2nd ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10299 on: March 19, 2021, 06:46:46 am »
A baggie of Dale multi-resistors and resistors networks, some of them precision  ^-^, in process of inputting them in the PartKeepr.
From this German  >:D-bay seller: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Sortiment-100-Widerstandsnetzwerke-Arrays-in-SIL-Bauform/111115591689

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf