Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2781973 times)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #10301 on: March 20, 2021, 06:52:17 am »
Yo, long time since I've scored.

I've wanted a Tek 11801 since I passed on one two years ago. A friend told me about an 11801C in the SF area so I bid on it and won for $175.  It presented on ebay as super clean and it was.  What I've found in two of these now is that maybe due to the size of the frame, things have a tendency to work loose in them. It had an error we misread as easy but it turned out to be a time base issue that could have been a nightmare.  I started reseating cables, cards,  etc and when i got to one of the last ones, all of a sudden it booted clean.  I reran the diagnostics a few times and it's been clean since. The same friend, a great guy, sent me a module from the one I passed on originally that he bought.  I then found an SD-22 module for cheap, that worked well, so for cheap I'm up to 20gig. Sampling has limitations but it has value for the price I paid.

You might note from my approach above that I rebooted or ran diagnostics frequently during the cable reseating.  I think it is important to do this for a couple of reasons. One is incase a new problem shows up you will note where you made the last adjustment or cable moved.  2nd, if you fix it, it is also valuable for the future as these problems might come back.

Jerry

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10302 on: March 20, 2021, 12:35:37 pm »
Decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my (very) old UT60A. Ordered a Brymen 867S and some Probemaster leads.

I didn't want to feel like spending more money in a year or two, often that is a false economy.

Offline rfclown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10303 on: March 22, 2021, 12:55:47 am »
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I've only read 3 pages so far.

Offline josh132

• Contributor
  • OSCILLOSCOPE
« Reply #10304 on: March 22, 2021, 02:44:18 am »
A new soldering iron heating elemant.
bu du bu nu

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #10305 on: March 22, 2021, 10:15:26 am »
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I've only read 3 pages so far.
I liked the book when I read it, despite being a dense book. To fully grasp it all, I would have to read it at least one more time.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10306 on: March 22, 2021, 11:46:30 am »
One of these

And its big brother

I was reminded by yet another 10 minute power outage the weekend before last that power here is not all that reliable, we get a short outage every 3-6 months and the occasional longer one.

The 12V one has about 30Wh of 18650 li-ion (4x2200mAh) so should keep the modem powered up for anything up to 5 hours. The APC unit (bought 2nd hand from eBay) has 2x12V 17/20Ah - so about 408Wh of battery and will run the NAS/server, firewall and phones for about an hour. Haven't quite tested it to full battery discharge but it had about 30% battery left after 47 minutes so I think the full hour should be no problem.

I do find it a bit frustrating that UPS marketing concentrates almost entirely on output power and not runtime - having to buy a 1.5kVA/1kW unit just to get decent runtime for a 250-300W load is overkill, especially as it has a much heavier autotransformer than I need (these "line interactive" units regulate under/over voltage by choosing the appropriate taps).

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 11:51:47 am by grumpydoc »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10307 on: March 23, 2021, 07:56:42 am »
A good few bucks worth:  :o
30 DSO's, 4 AWG's, 4 spectrum analyzers, 2 bench meters, 2 e-loads, 2 PSU's, 50A current probe and other assorted bits and bobs.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline TSCOLAN

• Contributor
« Reply #10308 on: March 23, 2021, 01:56:58 pm »
Hi,

Last week, I received a nice HP 5210A Frequency meter. As usual with equipment from this period, it needed cleaning of the rotary switches (with IPA). Once done, it worked great !

And, today, postman delivered me a HP 339A Distortion measurement set that was lost since February the 4th... Package was in bad shape but the instrument was well packed. Just one broken binding post.
The "meter" portion was not working at all, the culprit was a diode bridge having one side open. Capacitors seems in good condition. I'll now spend some time cleaning it's switches.

Thomas

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel, duckduck

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10309 on: March 26, 2021, 01:47:50 am »
Took out a 3rd Mortgage on my remaining Kidney and brought a JBC station and a few tips. Currently some very good deals in Oz (cheaper than PACE by a little) on this one at least as it seems there is a new model due out soon but this one has way more tweaks and features than I need already. https://www.oritech.com.au/jbc-cd-b-digital-soldering-station.html or https://www.mektronics.com.au/jbc-cd-b-solder-station-superceded-by-cd-2bqe.html I went with my more local option.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: AlfBaz

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #10310 on: March 26, 2021, 04:53:41 am »
Took out a 3rd Mortgage on my remaining Kidney and brought a JBC station and a few tips. Currently some very good deals in Oz (cheaper than PACE by a little) on this one at least as it seems there is a new model due out soon but this one has way more tweaks and features than I need already. https://www.oritech.com.au/jbc-cd-b-digital-soldering-station.html or https://www.mektronics.com.au/jbc-cd-b-solder-station-superceded-by-cd-2bqe.html I went with my more local option.

I bought almost the same JBC soldering station at the same distributor at the same price 6 years ago.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10311 on: March 26, 2021, 05:07:05 am »
Interesting. Quick check on the Aussie Peso to USD shows it about the same too. No idea if it is JBC's price rise over time or Oritech and as one of there competitors Pace has increased pricing by a chunk in this price range if they led or followed  :-//

Pleased I checked my email too, no confirmation seemed strange so I gave them a call - Paypal web site integration issue  :palm: all happy and it left the cold wet hole that is Ballarat this afternoon so new toy Monday maybe  :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #10312 on: March 26, 2021, 08:18:34 am »
Having not yet played with it too much but did see some cracks in the RIFA capacitors (especially the 0,022uF ones). So taking it slow and ordering new ones.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #10313 on: March 26, 2021, 08:20:34 am »
Interesting. Quick check on the Aussie Peso to USD shows it about the same too. No idea if it is JBC's price rise over time or Oritech and as one of there competitors Pace has increased pricing by a chunk in this price range if they led or followed  :-//

Pleased I checked my email too, no confirmation seemed strange so I gave them a call - Paypal web site integration issue  :palm: all happy and it left the cold wet hole that is Ballarat this afternoon so new toy Monday maybe  :)

You should be happy with the price of your JBC. The 34465A I bought in 2015 was AUD1,800 and it has now risen to AUD2,600.  ;D

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10314 on: March 27, 2021, 01:46:14 pm »
Tell us a bit more about them! Are they fairly sensitive? How old a design are they? Do they support any interesting features?

Looks like they support both GSM and GPS?

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/2501398/a2d-3jp3-falcom/9

Looks like you would need a sim card and an RS232 interface to them, plus audio..And antennas that are appropriate to the application. See link above.

Some GPS modules FALCOM A2D for an unbeatable price  ^-^ , are they still usable:

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10315 on: March 27, 2021, 01:49:56 pm »

You should be happy with the price of your JBC. The 34465A I bought in 2015 was AUD1,800 and it has now risen to AUD2,600.  ;D

Thats an insane price for a piece of soldering equipment, IMHO.

Maybe not, I don't know. But it seems like a hell of a lot.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10316 on: March 27, 2021, 09:19:44 pm »
Tell us a bit more about them! Are they fairly sensitive? How old a design are they? Do they support any interesting features?
Looks like they support both GSM and GPS?
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/2501398/a2d-3jp3-falcom/9
Looks like you would need a sim card and an RS232 interface to them, plus audio..And antennas that are appropriate to the application. See link above.

Well, as I don't have any suitable connectors for them, they will be used as micro-soldering practice boards, or returned to the great void  >:D. Of course, if some one needs a couple or more, please PM me.
Unfortunately, the whole assembly is a diarrhea of unobtainable (4me) micro-mezzanine PCB connectors  |O.
In the mean time, I godified one and here are some pics, including one made trough my 10x  jeweler lope,  to give a bit more details, please enjoy.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10317 on: March 29, 2021, 08:20:47 am »
8 assorted 100-600 MHz autosense scope probes
2 70A current probes
2 8 KV 1000:1 probes
10 BNC cables
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10318 on: March 29, 2021, 10:03:16 pm »
I did it again and bought another piece of equipment.  :palm: I need to check myself into TEA.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, daqq, bitseeker, Mortymore, beanflying

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #10319 on: March 30, 2021, 01:41:09 pm »
EEVBlog BM786  :-DMM

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, trophosphere

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #10320 on: March 30, 2021, 03:10:26 pm »
I did it again and bought another piece of equipment.  :palm: I need to check myself into TEA.
You poor person! The first step to therapy is to give away some of your stuff... erm... share the burden. I volunteer.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

The following users thanked this post: Vovk_Z

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10321 on: March 30, 2021, 10:13:06 pm »
You poor person! The first step to therapy is to give away some of your stuff... erm... share the burden. I volunteer.

It's as good as yours if you want to pay off my credit card bills.  :-+

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10322 on: March 31, 2021, 11:46:53 am »
Received an RF amp from ebay, advertised as 50-1100MHz Class A 4W.
Will use it to emit garbage for radiated immunity tests.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10323 on: April 01, 2021, 08:30:17 pm »
Today a Avo DCM 300E leakage current clamp meter turned up for 45€ posted.
It came with a early '90s look to it although the box is dated 04/02, the Toshiba LR44 batteries must have been the original ones and had leaked a little.

It's a rebrand of the Japanese made Multi M-140.
http://www.multimic.com/e/products/detail/285

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10324 on: April 02, 2021, 12:40:19 pm »
A Mantis Elite arrived this week, currently clamped to the front of the bench whilst I figure out the best place to permanently mount it.
I think I may end up with a 2nd base plate so be able to move it between two work areas.  I try to keep soldering / hot air away from where I have stuff under test hooked up to instruments and the PC. 

Stunning to use, wish I'd bought one a while ago now, it would have saved all sorts of grief.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf