Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2777606 times)

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #10375 on: May 01, 2021, 10:03:29 am »
Finally I got a label printer that I can connect to my computer. I didn't find a driver and a program that would work for me on Linux, so I hacked a solution from another solution. Took a while to make it working, it's not perfect, but good-enough.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10376 on: May 01, 2021, 10:15:32 am »
Finally got a microscope big enough to work under. I did a few leads of a QFP64 and giggled a little.

(Attachment Link)
Very nice one ! I was asking myself what that huge power supply on the right was for, I got the answer :

A 150W halogen illuminator with 35" heavy-duty fiber-optic ring-light provides the smoothest overhead lighting possible. Active cooling and auto-shutoff avoids overheating in strenuous environments.
Wow.

Have fun !

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10377 on: May 01, 2021, 10:41:35 am »
A 150W halogen illuminator with 35" heavy-duty fiber-optic ring-light provides the smoothest overhead lighting possible. Active cooling and auto-shutoff avoids overheating in strenuous environments.
Wow.

Have fun !

Perhaps I'm the exception, but I gave up with ring illuminators on microscopes as I found they get in the way of tools, in particular the hot air gun. Instead I use a pair of 3W LED narrow spots on goosenecks mounted opposite each other clamped to the microscope.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10378 on: May 01, 2021, 10:59:58 am »
Wow.

Have fun !

Perhaps I'm the exception, but I gave up with ring illuminators on microscopes as I found they get in the way of tools, in particular the hot air gun. Instead I use a pair of 3W LED narrow spots on goosenecks mounted opposite each other clamped to the microscope.

I have been doing something similar too for the last year or so but I am going to have a go at a softer diffused light and see if I prefer it. The spots throw harsh glare on the shiny bits even when done from the sides. I do have plenty of room under the camera on my setup so it shouldn't get in the way to much.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10379 on: May 01, 2021, 06:32:55 pm »
Finally got a microscope big enough to work under. I did a few leads of a QFP64 and giggled a little.
(Attachment Link)

May I ask you, if you can measure the maximum eye distance (mid-mid) of the okulars?

I had ordered a trinokular only to find the eye distance some millimeters too short for my obviously XXXL head and sold it again.
I now settled with the zoom camera, Dave made a video about. But that's no stereoscopic view of course.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #10380 on: May 01, 2021, 06:52:09 pm »
A stash of banana jacks. Building of small boxes with unsafe terminals can now continue.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #10381 on: May 01, 2021, 07:05:05 pm »
A stash of banana jacks. Building of small boxes with unsafe terminals can now continue.

I'm on the lookout for about a half dozen of them, in red and black, only in a solderable inline form. To use as extension leads to binding posts that are further away than a few feet.
iratus parum formica

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10382 on: May 01, 2021, 09:05:25 pm »

"Unsafe" depends on the use, not just the terminal.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: artag

Online Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10383 on: May 02, 2021, 05:28:10 pm »
(Attachment Link)

May I ask you, if you can measure the maximum eye distance (mid-mid) of the okulars?

I had ordered a trinokular only to find the eye distance some millimeters too short for my obviously XXXL head and sold it again.
I now settled with the zoom camera, Dave made a video about. But that's no stereoscopic view of course.

Looks like 3" and they are linked so one moves the other.
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10384 on: May 02, 2021, 11:00:34 pm »
April's scores!

Agilent U1602B, almost new (275USD)

FeelTech FY6800 60MHz, almost new (90USD)

Segger J-Link EDU

So yeah, I'm happy!

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10385 on: May 02, 2021, 11:49:56 pm »

My Wild M3Z adjusts from, 45-75mm. I use it at about 70mm.

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10386 on: May 02, 2021, 11:56:02 pm »

"Unsafe" depends on the use, not just the terminal.

McBryce.

Exactly. I despise the shielded plugs. I almost never connect to anything at a high voltage and if I do, it's just probing with a handheld DVM - not something likely to leave uninsulated plugs lying around. Yet all my probes have them.

One of the most stupid is the Fluke 80 AK accessory that converts a thermocouple to fit a DVM. If it ever has more than a couple of mV on it, then it was connected to that with an abused and completely unshrouded thermocouple plug.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10387 on: May 03, 2021, 03:41:37 am »
Actually arrived today from Bulgaria to Oz in 10 days  :-+ eBay auction: #173847478655 100' (30m) of Teflon covered silver plated wire. Quick 4W test got 4.4 \$\Omega\$ for the roll so 0.144 \$\Omega\$/m  so test voltages only.

Same seller and still to arrive a few more LM399H VRefs to play with eBay auction: #173362279991

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10388 on: May 03, 2021, 10:49:24 am »

I'm on the lookout for about a half dozen of them, in red and black, only in a solderable inline form. To use as extension leads to binding posts that are further away than a few feet.

I found a short length of 3/16" brass tubing (from a model shop)  with heatshrink over it made a very neat inline socket for banana plugs 

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10389 on: May 03, 2021, 11:25:52 am »
Actually arrived today from Bulgaria to Oz in 10 days  :-+ eBay auction: #173847478655 100' (30m) of Teflon covered silver plated wire. Quick 4W test got 4.4 \$\Omega\$ for the roll so 0.144 \$\Omega\$/m  so test voltages only.

Same seller and still to arrive a few more LM399H VRefs to play with eBay auction: #173362279991

I see $audiofoolery in your future.
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10390 on: May 03, 2021, 11:30:12 am »

I see $audiofoolery in your future.

Nope I wanted the Teflon outer for Voltage reasons for some test leads and connections ;)

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10392 on: May 03, 2021, 11:20:02 pm »

US $25 (a few hours left on the sale)...couldn't resist...well, I could, but I really like toys :)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1626703-REG/sunpak_sp_4k_ac_kit_4k_action_9_piece_camera.html

So, to provide some real-world impressions now that I have had it for a while....

BLUF: At the price I paid, it is a nice.

On the price: Yes it was a special sale and the price has gone back up. But (and I knew this before ordering) Bungood sells a similar/identical unit https://www.banggood.com/SJ9000-Wifi-4K-2Inch-1080P-Ultra-HD-Waterproof-Sport-Camera-Action-DVR-Camcorder-p-1776031.html?rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts&cur_warehouse=CN at about the special sales price. BUT, B&H Photo is a legit place that I have ordered from several times over the last decade or so...never had any trouble and free shipping and it got here pretty quick.

The movie quality is, in fact, pretty impressive, at least at the highest resolution. Granted, I am much more experienced at still photography (which it also does), but still, I was impressed. Not a whole lot of controls though (some exposure control).

Sadly, there is no USB control at all: only power is being used over the USB port...that is a disappointment. There is an Android App available so you can log into the camera remotely and activate many functions. It works, but only barely.

From my searching around, it is not hackable in a friendly way....

So, that is basically it...I probably will get some use out of it as it is small and handy.
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10393 on: May 04, 2021, 04:35:45 am »
Wow.

Have fun !

Stupid thread made me go look at ring illumination so I brought a cheap LED one. It is coming with an included secondhand Microscope for 'testing purposes'.....  ;D eBay auction: #224448558225 Same user has a hot air station listed too. eBay auction: #224448545312

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10394 on: May 06, 2021, 09:36:54 am »

My Wild M3Z adjusts from, 45-75mm. I use it at about 70mm.
thx for that info. I'd need about 78 mm.

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10395 on: May 06, 2021, 09:50:26 am »
(Attachment Link)

Looks like 3" and they are linked so one moves the other.

Thx for that! 3" would be 7.62 mm.
So I'm somewhat reassured that buying a camera solution might have been the right decision.

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10396 on: May 06, 2021, 03:05:19 pm »
If you buy something 'not working, spares or repairs' on ebay, should you leave negative feedback when you can't find anything that needs fixing ?

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, kripton2035, PA0PBZ, xrunner, thm_w, edavid, Mr.B, shakalnokturn, Peter_O

Offline szszoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10397 on: May 07, 2021, 07:55:35 am »

I almost bid on this!  ;D

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10398 on: May 07, 2021, 06:39:56 pm »
Geiger tube

Update : apparently this tube is made for testing liquids. The bell mouth visible in the picture is the open end of a test tube, and the glass enclosure of the GM tube itself is inside and coaxial with it. So, liquid poured into the test tube surrounds the GM tube in a layer about 1mm thick.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 12:39:59 pm by artag »

Offline TSCOLAN

• Contributor
« Reply #10399 on: May 08, 2021, 12:41:07 pm »
Hello,

It has been a while since I shared my scores here are the new ones since my last post.

First a nice HP 4328A, sold as parts, but, once switch contact cleaned, was fully working and measurements are close to my UT612. I don't have proper capacitors nor inductors to check it for calibration.
It was delivered with half-a-probe, the half with the RM12 front panel connector, as the other part of the probe is unobtainium, I did cut it near the end, and made a quick 5 alligators "kelvin" probe with it. This small probe will be usefull in low ranges as the length of cable is limited.
RS Components in Europe still have the RM12BPE-5PH connector at 16€.

Next a HP 6114A precision power supply, it had some trouble with a buzzing Sprague capacitor across the output of the transformer, broken binding posts, needed cleaning of the volts/amp switch, and of the voltage selection wheels. It is quite pleasant to use.

To complete the 4328A I found a HP 4332A, again cleaning switches makes it back alive and in agreement with the other TE on hand. Last cal in 2012.

While waiting for the postman I finished the repair of a HP 410B VTVM. It needed love : dead filter caps, seized pots, open 6-4 filament regulator tube, and of course leads were damaged. Once all corrected it works nice, but i really dislike the attached leads.

Lastly a little Heathkit SG-8 R.F Signal Generator. It was so cheap I couldn't resist. Previous owner took care of the filer caps. I took care of the two other ones in the AF section, and cleaned the tuning capacitor as it was sparking a lot. I did the modifications suggested by this post : https://canadianvintageradio.com/cvrs-forums/topic/heathkit-sg-8-article-in-newsletter/.
The knight 600 confirmed that the 12AU7 oscillator tube is weak : it doesn't oscillate on the E band below 60Mhz. "New" one ordered.

And, a Chinese ultrasonic cleaner...

Thomas
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 12:42:54 pm by TSCOLAN »

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf