Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 1638358 times)

Offline lukego

• Regular Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #10425 on: October 30, 2020, 12:48:53 pm »
Imdes Mini vapor phase reflow oven for €866 promotional price at Eleshop (https://eleshop.eu/vapour-phase-mini-condens-it.html).

I've been on the fence about this for six months. I want a vapor phase capability for working with really large BGAs, and I had been planning to take the asparagus pot approach, but this feels like a relatively economical upgrade from "prototyping" to "small production" capability. I'm betting that I'd have ended up buying one within the next year and won't see a better price than this. YOLO!

Offline DrG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10426 on: November 03, 2020, 10:46:54 pm »

Only US$50

Need something to do while they count votes.
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline deadlylover

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10427 on: November 04, 2020, 02:54:07 am »
I got a cheap 30kg spring balance for some ghetto tensile strength testing of crimp terminals. Made in Germany which was a pleasant surprise.

Well I can confirm the TE PIDG terminals work nicely with both the Pressmaster KSA0760 and the official mil spec TE/AMP 59250 tool. I tried it with 22awg wire and the wire just keeps breaking at the ~11kgf/24lbf mark, which is around the break strength of normal 22awg wire.

I find it interesting that the Pressmaster consistently broke at the strain relief crimp, but the AMP broke where the conductor crimp is. Perhaps the Pressmaster is overly stressing the strain relief crimp, which makes sense because the AMP has 4 adjustment settings for wire insulation whereas the Pressmaster cannot be adjusted.

I want to get some high tensile strength wire for testing (specced up to ~16kgf break strength for 22awg)... well maybe not at a dollar+ per foot, ouch. Ughh I'll try fit it in with my next digikey order.  :P

For some reason I was nervous using the crimp terminals at the thin end of the range (22-16awg normally) and was concerned it would be a bit weak, but it looks like I was worried over nothing. Mil spec was 15lbf for 22awg, UL spec was 8lbf, so it looks like the AMP 59250 still performs extremely well (24lbf, wire strength) despite its age/wear because I did get it used for real cheap after all.

I briefly tested 16awg wire and I maxed out the scale at 30kgf/66lbf without the wire or crimp failing, it's reaaaaally uncomfortable to pull that much so I called it quits. Mil spec is 50lbf (UL is 30lbf) and break strength is supposed to be around the 75lbf mark for 16awg wire.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10428 on: November 04, 2020, 03:24:20 am »
Fishing scales would be my choice for checking breaking strain as many have a sliding marker that remains at the last highest measurement.
Like these from Shimano:
http://www.billfishtacklesupply.com/Scales/scales.htm
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #10429 on: November 04, 2020, 03:35:53 am »
Those are often called "fish scales", "kalavaaka", here.

They say that a few decades ago, in 1980s, in Northern Finland a lady had to give birth in an old fishing cottage frequently visited by then president Kekkonen.  The midwife forgot her scales, but there was one left by Kekkonen, so they used that one.  The birth weight for that baby was recorded at 40 pounds.

I guess what I'm saying, every now and then, do verify that the spring is still okay, and the scales still "in calibration".

Online Tom45

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10430 on: November 04, 2020, 04:55:45 pm »

They say that a few decades ago, in 1980s, in Northern Finland a lady had to give birth in an old fishing cottage frequently visited by then president Kekkonen.  The midwife forgot her scales, but there was one left by Kekkonen, so they used that one.  The birth weight for that baby was recorded at 40 pounds.

I guess what I'm saying, every now and then, do verify that the spring is still okay, and the scales still "in calibration".

Those fish scales were likely "adjusted" to help the fisherman with bragging rights.

If the kid really did weigh 40 pounds, I'd guess that the kid would be able to walk before the mother recovered enough that she could walk.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10431 on: November 04, 2020, 06:12:24 pm »
The birth weight for that baby was recorded at 40 pounds.... do verify that the spring is still okay, and the scales still "in calibration".

Wait, I thought that other thread here decided that "calibration" had nothing to do with actually being in spec....  :popcorn:

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10432 on: November 04, 2020, 07:10:20 pm »
The birth weight for that baby was recorded at 40 pounds.... do verify that the spring is still okay, and the scales still "in calibration".

Wait, I thought that other thread here decided that "calibration" had nothing to do with actually being in spec....  :popcorn:

Calibration is by definition the comparison between the results of a measurement device and a known quantity (ie: a standard). It doesn't change anything it only establishes the offset.

McBryce.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #10433 on: November 05, 2020, 12:09:38 am »
Those fish scales were likely "adjusted" to help the fisherman with bragging rights.
Well, duh!  Obviously.

In practice, if the spring is overextended (say, due to trying to measure something over its capacity), it will deform, displaying larger tension than actual.  For fishermen with a competitive streak, or overeager lackeys trying to lick arses, a little 'stretch' like that is sometimes too tempting.  Regularly testing it, say before and after a series of measurements, against a known tension (weight) lets you know whether this has happened or not.  It's a simple pass-or-fail test.

Offline blackfin76

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10434 on: November 05, 2020, 03:56:08 pm »
Mmm... ordered a hot air station Atten ST-862D and a pre heater Aoyue 853A pro.

Guess I'll be soldering and desoldering surface mount components in the man cave from now on.

The purchase of a microscope last month made me realize is was a necessity.

The following users thanked this post: lukego

Online jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10435 on: November 11, 2020, 05:10:21 pm »
A 6 digit, 0.01% german made DC current calibrator because it was cheap i really need it to calibrate my SMU.

Turns out that my 6.5 digit DMM isn't precise enough to validate it... Well, there is always room for a 7.5 digit on the bench.

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel, BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #10436 on: November 11, 2020, 05:32:32 pm »
A 6 digit, 0.01% german made DC current calibrator because it was cheap i really need it to calibrate my SMU.

Turns out that my 6.5 digit DMM isn't precise enough to validate it... Well, there is always room for a 7.5 digit on the bench.

Ah, so you have bought this unit.  :)  :-+
Had it on my watch-list as well.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Ground_Loop

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10437 on: November 11, 2020, 10:02:09 pm »
After long thought on build or buy I broke down and bought one, the 5200volt version. Nice addition to the stable.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 10:03:57 pm by Ground_Loop »
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10438 on: November 12, 2020, 01:55:56 pm »
Another bargain.

Pair of used dmm probes.

Robin branded. These ones are gold plated and have 4mm banana plug adapters.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10439 on: November 12, 2020, 02:12:24 pm »
Are those threaded locking rings before the banana to attach crocodile clips?

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10440 on: November 12, 2020, 03:01:03 pm »
Nope. The spring for 4mm banana plug is fixed. No thread.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10441 on: November 12, 2020, 04:52:20 pm »
I meant the plastic piece with oval indents before tha banana, it made it look as if it was free to rotate (at least it looks designed to give extra grip for some reason) and may be threaded on the inside.

Online Calambres

• Regular Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #10442 on: November 13, 2020, 07:06:17 pm »
Just got this guy:

It works fairly well and quite cheap!.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #10443 on: November 14, 2020, 10:04:34 am »
Just got this guy:

It works fairly well and quite cheap!.

I was given the same model, albeit rebranded, as a Christmas gift last year and I concur. I've become a much more competent PCB worker since. It is a repair force multiplier for a very competitive price.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10444 on: November 14, 2020, 03:00:50 pm »
Another bargain.

Pair of used dmm probes.

Robin branded. These ones are gold plated and have 4mm banana plug adapters.

The banana plug part, if not removable, makes the probe unuseable for much work.

I bought a similar set of leads, as they were the only ones available at the time, & found that the thick "banana" part prevented using the probe for such things as checking continuity on flexible cables with connectors/sockets attached, such as microphone cables.

They were also troublesome when looking at the pins on some edge connectors.
I eventually became heartily sick of them, & finally found some normal probes at another supplier.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #10445 on: November 14, 2020, 03:35:28 pm »
The banana plug part, if not removable, makes the probe unuseable for much work.
Although I like the concept, it surely can't be your only probe set. Here in the US they are not useable if you need to probe outlets.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline rakanishu

« Reply #10446 on: November 14, 2020, 04:04:21 pm »
The Pro'sKit SS-331H is terrific. I've been using it for a year, and boy does it save time compared to even excellent manual desoldering pumps such as the Engineer SS-02. A total godsend if you desolder high effort stuff such as keyboard PCBs.

The only problem is finding spare tips and consumables. I haven't had much luck finding replacements on AliExpress, so I just bit the bullet and bought the replacment gun for $28.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10447 on: November 14, 2020, 05:17:43 pm »
Now that I have a formal desoldering gun (with integrated vacuum pump), I'm angry that I waited so long to get one. I have the Hakko FR-300, and it's expensive for a reason: It's WORTH IT.

My 18YO son, going to university for his EE, is already hooked. He correctly calls it the most valuable tool on our soldering bench.

Online Calambres

• Regular Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 06:26:32 pm by Calambres »

The following users thanked this post: rakanishu

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10449 on: November 14, 2020, 07:10:48 pm »
The only problem is finding spare tips and consumables. I haven't had much luck finding replacements on AliExpress, so I just bit the bullet and bought the replacment gun for $28.

I think all the relabelled desoldering guns use the same parts. I have a ZD-915 and the tips for those are easy to find:

https://www.amazon.de/Zus%C3%A4tzliche-Spitzen-f%C3%BCr-L%C3%B6tstation-ZD-915/dp/B01AIIF2UG/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/257-4590955-9801130?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01AIIF2UG&pd_rd_r=da72be71-8072-4a63-bcb9-6297519b847d&pd_rd_w=3R1Fh&pd_rd_wg=aiHt3&pf_rd_p=4490d326-3239-499b-8c8a-0dd8d6ad582a&pf_rd_r=Q3SYH732H3YCYP7FGHDG&psc=1&refRID=Q3SYH732H3YCYP7FGHDG

McBryce.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf