Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754347 times)

TopQuark and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online wkb

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #10475 on: June 10, 2021, 11:52:56 am »
Scored a 8753ES with Opt 006, seller confirmed the display is dead. Hooked up a VGA monitor and it works with self test passed. Open up found the LCD CCFL inverter fuse open circuit. Replaced the fuse and the display work fine but very dim. Got a replacement display from Taobao for USD $80 and it is now sharp and clear.

(Attachment Link)

Wow! Nice one!

Wilko

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #10476 on: June 10, 2021, 01:51:55 pm »
Just some glass...

Westinghouse WL 672A Thyratron

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #10477 on: June 11, 2021, 02:02:34 pm »
Some tools.

A Sydney hardware store chain, humorously called 'Total Tools' had a sale on recently. I went intending to get just an air compressor. One of a sensible, movable size, not my tiny one that was originally for airbrushing but is all that fits in my small cramped workshop, or the gi-normous 3-phase one I still don't have set up in my larger but unfinished workshop.

Turned out the store had a points deal - buy $2K of stuff, get a significant bonus to buy more stuff. So I added a Makita kit with a cordless drill and impact hammer. My old cordless drill was a freebe, worked great for years but used NiCad battery packs that are now dead.

With the bonus I bought some vices, clamps, big spanners, tap and die set, wire brushes...

They put on free pizzas and pretty girls too. I left, the compressor in wooden frame only just fitting into the car. Feeling pretty pleased with the day. Had picked up a catalog on the way out the door.

In the next few days, using the cordless drill I really like it. Nicely responsive, finely controlable speed. One warning - the torque limit adjusting ring only operates in 'screwdriver mode'. In the drilling and hammer modes there is no torque limiting. That's not really clear in the manual, and it SHOULD be because... this thing has monsterous torque. One of the first things I did was a (stupid) quick power test - fixed the short bar of a large allen key in the chuck, grabbed the long end of the allen key firmly, and gently pressed the trigger.

Oops. Even at low power it completely ignored my grip, ripping the bar out of my hand. Luckily, no injury though it hurt. So... don't try that. Also note to self - in drilling mode with large drill bits if the drill bit jams, this thing is going to rip the drill handle out of your grasp. I like it!

But there was one final nice surprise.
I happened to look through that catalog. Discovered that Makita has a 'redemption' deal going on several items, one being that kit I'd bought. You get a free thing... depending on what you bought. For that kit the 'thing' is a battery powered angle grinder. A GOOD one! This was totally unexpected. I'd already got some free stuff from adding that kit to my buy at the store, now more free stuff? And it's something I'd always wanted, whee!

I filled in the online form, emailed with a scan of the store invoice, not quite believing this would work. I hadn't even known what the word 'redemption' meant in this context till it was explained to me. Never was involved in such a deal before.

A few days later the angle grinder arrived. No battery pack, but the kit had included two. I haven't yet flattened a battery, but I'm told it will operate the grinder for quite a while. An hour? It's hard to believe. We'll see.

The grinder is *great*. Very much a Bwahhaha feeling, to have a no-cord portable grinder. It's a bit quieter than typical mains powered grinders too. As if that might be important for some reason...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:13:59 pm by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, rsjsouza, Cubdriver, Mortymore

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10478 on: June 11, 2021, 04:01:40 pm »

The grinder is *great*. Very much a Bwahhaha feeling, to have a no-cord portable grinder. It's a bit quieter than typical mains powered grinders too. As if that might be important for some reason...

Makita obviously knows their market.  Next thing you know they will include a spark suppressor.  Strictly for safety of course.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #10479 on: June 11, 2021, 04:23:15 pm »
Makita makes really good stuff - teal has been my color of choice for cordless tools for almost 25 years now since getting my first GOOD cordless drill from them in 1998 after using an earlier one at work regularly.  Recently added one of their 18V angle grinders and a metal cutting circular saw to my arsenal thanks to some sales that were going on here a few weeks ago.  And finally, about a month ago, I broke out the 18V drywall saw I'd bought a year ago for a project that then got put on hold.  That thing is fantastic - connected to a shop vac it makes drywall surgery nearly dust free and cuts a treat!  Wish I'd had it years ago.

Congrats on your new 'toys'.   ;)

-Pat
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 04:26:16 pm by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10480 on: June 11, 2021, 04:28:46 pm »
Along with a small easy to carry creeper, and a set of goggles and a mask, plus a very dark bag that will hold the grinder, the creeper and also a few somewhat large stainless steel thin wall cylinders, with a somewhat contaminated ceramic honeycomb matrix, inside them, in separate pouches so they do not make a noise when you are moving with them.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #10481 on: June 11, 2021, 07:17:21 pm »
Just made my first ever AliExpress purchase - 8 triax connectors based on THz's post from last year.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/cheap-triax-connector/msg3137890/#msg3137890

IIRC it said to expect them in mid July.  We'll see how it goes...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10482 on: June 11, 2021, 09:31:11 pm »
Some tools.
Nice selections on your part.  :-+

A word of warning for Li battery packs.
Never put away fully discharged packs without putting some charge back into them.
The BMS systems are sometimes powered by a single cell and can drain that cell to levels where the smart charger will reject the pack as faulty and when it's offered to the charger 3 times in the same condition will reject it permanently.
They can be brought back by externally dumb charging so the low cell comes up to a level the smart charger accepts however this must be done before the charger has rejected it 3 times previously.

Early Makita Li tools suffered from this badly but they may have addressed this due to all the bad publicity they had about it a few years back. Our son in Perth lost 3 of 6 packs in this manner and now only has Milwaukee equipment.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #10483 on: June 11, 2021, 10:04:20 pm »
I've been mostly happy with the Makita battery grinder. I don't miss the cord. Tho, in recent times found that the ball bearings soon wear out if you cut a lot of dusty things. Got the parts kit for one of them and all that did was transfer the seizure further down into the frame.

Watch out for Makita as they are sometimes now slipping in plastic parts where metal parts should be. And on hard to recognise model variants. If you cut a fair bit of concrete, be ready to turf it when it munts.
iratus parum formica

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10484 on: June 11, 2021, 10:56:15 pm »
I've been mostly happy with the Makita battery grinder. I don't miss the cord. Tho, in recent times found that the ball bearings soon wear out if you cut a lot of dusty things. Got the parts kit for one of them and all that did was transfer the seizure further down into the frame.

Watch out for Makita as they are sometimes now slipping in plastic parts where metal parts should be. And on hard to recognise model variants. If you cut a fair bit of concrete, be ready to turf it when it munts.
Yep plastic gearcases are becoming increasingly common in all brands and should be avoided at all costs for any serious tool.  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10485 on: June 12, 2021, 02:18:26 am »
Some tools.

A Sydney hardware store chain, humorously called 'Total Tools' had a sale on recently. I went intending to get just an air compressor. One of a sensible, movable size, not my tiny one that was originally for airbrushing but is all that fits in my small cramped workshop, or the gi-normous 3-phase one I still don't have set up in my larger but unfinished workshop.

snip

Dangerous place we had a franchise Store open locally a last year and they have got some pesos from me already. Last week was a set of Makita Stacker boxes to get all my power tools arranged from their multiple places. Opted to DIY wheeled platform as $100+ for a dolly is OTT.

Love the cordless grinder for a quick job too but for serious work I still run the lead out for the 240V one.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #10486 on: June 12, 2021, 08:40:18 am »
Stuff from mouser:

100MHz VCXO and some test clips.

The VCXO is a key component for my 10MHz reference frequency comparison device that I plan to build.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #10487 on: June 12, 2021, 10:39:00 pm »

Yep plastic gearcases are becoming increasingly common in all brands and should be avoided at all costs for any serious tool.  :horse:

https://www.makita.com.au/power-garden/category/wheelbarrows

I can't believe such a thing exists. Are people really that lazy?
iratus parum formica

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #10488 on: June 12, 2021, 10:48:57 pm »
Some tools.

snip

Dangerous place we had a franchise Store open locally a last year and they have got some pesos from me already. Last week was a set of Makita Stacker boxes to get all my power tools arranged from their multiple places. Opted to DIY wheeled platform as $100+ for a dolly is OTT.

Love the cordless grinder for a quick job too but for serious work I still run the lead out for the 240V one.

I've also got the 9'' (two battery). It's not too bad compared to the regular 10A 240v grinder. Got it from a guy who bought a whole kit from a dealer (like above), he didn't need the big grinder, 150 bucks off brand new.
iratus parum formica

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10489 on: June 12, 2021, 11:07:56 pm »

So you've never pushed a full barrow load of wet concrete up a steep incline ?
Or even aggregate for that matter.

Up some inline on planks over an excavation is where I see powered wheelbarrows would be extremely useful.
Wonder if they have regen braking when going downhill.  :-//
That would be really cool.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #10490 on: June 12, 2021, 11:13:20 pm »

Up some inline on planks over an excavation is where I see powered wheelbarrows would be extremely useful.

Rated 130kg. Assume half that, might be usable. Wouldn't put more that 70kgs of weight in it.
iratus parum formica

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10491 on: June 12, 2021, 11:25:02 pm »

Rated 130kg. Assume half that, might be usable. Wouldn't put more that 70kgs of weight in it.
So you Aussies use all equipment well within its max rating just like we Kiwis do ?  :-DD :bullshit:

But yes as the wheelbarrow motor is some way from our snouts unlike a cordless tool it will be harder to detect sniff when it's overheating.
But hey I've had some funny smells from my 1/2" DeWalt drill but it's still going just fine.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline I wanted a rude username

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
« Reply #10492 on: June 13, 2021, 12:24:43 am »

And it can be difficult or even impossible to push a heavy wheelbarrow through soft mud, as the wheel wants to bury itself. Note the aggressive tread of the Makita.

Cable-actuated front wheel disc brake, by the way. There is also electric braking but I doubt it would be regenerative.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10493 on: June 13, 2021, 02:31:16 am »
As someone who has helped a Concreting mate of mine on plenty of occasions  :-+ for a powered wheelbarrow. More than one of those jobs has been barrowed (unpowered) from the truck to the job as they were to small or not worth bringing in a pump. Not so bad if you are on hard ground but throw in an incline or a ramp/step and its not a good time.

Now I am 'to old' my helping days are over powered or unpowered  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #10494 on: June 13, 2021, 10:46:08 pm »
A pH pen that (hopefully) does not suck. My previous pen perhaps did not suck initially, but storing it badly has led me to doubt it.

(seller picture)

Milwaukee Instruments also sell separate electrodes with BNC plugs. Got me thinking about doing something permanently rigged for measuring pH of the pool, and of course plotting it.

Offline ChristofferB

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
« Reply #10495 on: June 14, 2021, 06:13:49 pm »
Swapped, rather than bought, for a stack of scintillation probes and pmts:

The vacuum chamber of a Waters Triple-quadrupole hi res mass spectrometer! Machined from a solid chunk of aluminium!! The beauty!

Also came with ion detector, ion source, and a multi output HV psu!

--Christoffer //IG:Chromatogiraffery
Check out my scientific instruments diy (GC, HPLC, NMR, etc) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8l6SdZuRuoSdze1dIpzAQ

The following users thanked this post: aargee, Cubdriver, exor

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #10496 on: June 14, 2021, 10:43:14 pm »
Gave my old Hantek DSO5102P to my (adult) son and my lovely wife treated me to a new Rigol DS1054Z for my birthday

Might be a few years old now, but a 4 channel oscilloscope delivered next day for £366 was a no brainier for me.

I’m sure I’ll get years of use out of it

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, duckduck

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10497 on: June 15, 2021, 01:03:38 am »
I agree, hope you get lots of enjoyment and use out of it!
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10498 on: June 15, 2021, 04:57:20 am »
So the last bits of me buying a Ring illuminator arrived today :palm: arrived https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what-did-you-buy-today-post-your-latest-purchase!/msg3568458/#msg3568458

The Lens adapter arrived last week and the Camera the week before but the pair of MF Risers arrived today so I got to actually use it and the camera in focus with the eyepieces https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32843818172.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.236e4c4dSFoOYF

Apart from really needing a third one as the Lens is more or less pegged to one end of it's adjustment range they do the job (still a little fuzzy at the peg when the Eyes are in focus). Not that I am likely to go back to soldering with a camera the 1/2 adapter gives a Camera width of about 30mm to the eyepieces 50mm so today I added a 1/3 lens and another pair of MF Risers.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10499 on: June 15, 2021, 02:34:16 pm »

Makita obviously knows their market.  Next thing you know they will include a spark suppressor.  Strictly for safety of course.

Quite recently, a very large bush (forest) fire in Western Australia was caused by someone cutting metal with an angle grinder, so sparks can be a safety hazard.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf