Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2789932 times)

cosmicray and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #10575 on: July 16, 2021, 03:01:55 am »
I bought some Panduit branded cable ties, I've always just used the supermarket or local hardware store generic brands. Now I don't know if it's just placebo but they do seem a little nicer ahahha.

Kind of hard to find them in Australia so I just went to Arrow and sorted by price ascending. Two or three cents each isn't tooo bad.  :P

Fun little selection guide to send you down a rabbit hole.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10576 on: July 16, 2021, 04:17:59 am »
I have been looking at some better marking out gear for my old eyes (Timber, Plastic and metal) and decided my Piggybank wouldn't run to Incra or https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/MirockToolworks (could have designed and Lasercut my own but his are nice   :-  )

So Aliexpress price point and save more $ for TEA https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000338734447.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.77794c4dKpx3Iu

This actually seems decent. You'll have to update us with the results in a few weeks when it arrives. Genuinely interested!

So the new toys arrived a few days ago.

Really nice to use and all came shipped in foam and cardboard boxes. Finish and accuracy is great fits a 0.5mm Pencil, marking knife or my Tungsten scribe nicely in the holes and slots. The edges and slots are crisp but not sharp and no burrs that are an issue to tear skin and make red stuff leak onto the job. The Squareness of the ruler guides has a little play to tweak if needed but if you want 'square' use a square instead then use these for marking out distances or just check the angle prior to use if it is critical.

Nice addition to the tools anyway.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10577 on: July 17, 2021, 04:53:48 pm »
Picked up from the mail depot today - attached ? picture

yesterday FET circuits by Rufus P Turner arrived at the door

day before an overnight courier delivery  of  Kikusui power supplies!
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10578 on: July 18, 2021, 08:29:41 am »
I bought a used Agilent E3631A triple output DC power supply that looked like it had seen a lot of use, based on the photos. But what arrived was a Keysight E3631A instead, which looked as though it was never even used. The manufacture date was 2017. I'm not even sure when that power supply was discontinued, but I was totally chuffed to get a much newer and nicer piece of equipment compared to what I was expecting.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #10579 on: July 18, 2021, 09:00:38 am »
I bought a used Agilent E3631A triple output DC power supply that looked like it had seen a lot of use, based on the photos. But what arrived was a Keysight E3631A instead, which looked as though it was never even used. The manufacture date was 2017. I'm not even sure when that power supply was discontinued, but I was totally chuffed to get a much newer and nicer piece of equipment compared to what I was expecting.

Sweet!  Nice when things work out that way!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #10580 on: July 19, 2021, 04:52:08 am »
Some more HP and Tek service and user manuals. Plus an old (1960, 61) Delco semiconductor datasheet collection.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10581 on: July 19, 2021, 05:30:20 am »
Based on how loved it seems to be by members here, I ordered my first bench multimeter - the Keithley DMM6500. Can't wait to get it and try it out.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10582 on: July 19, 2021, 07:00:22 am »
I bought a new storage space  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Cubdriver, beanflying

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #10583 on: July 19, 2021, 07:16:13 am »
Today I got the J-Link EDU I ordered from DigiKey. For those who are curious, the hardware version is V11.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #10584 on: July 19, 2021, 08:23:10 am »

More storage space is always good!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10585 on: July 19, 2021, 08:29:56 am »

"such are the ways of the packrat" 🤫

Speaking from experience here..

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10586 on: July 20, 2021, 07:15:32 am »
This is Big Clives 'fault'  ;D I brought 10 Remote controlled LED Acrylic Blade holders for $55AUD (about $40USD) delivered. I had made a few in the past with either 3D printed or Laser cut bases but the cost of these makes these a no brainer for smaller blade projects.

eBay auction: #363365038088

Still like my custom ones but sometimes you just need to go  :o at the price of evilbay junk

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #10587 on: July 21, 2021, 09:07:06 am »
Solder Pot  8)

ok ..In the interest of safety    I am saying  it came with no cord

its 38 x 40mm  550 °C  at 150 Watt

have not tested it yet.
as I do have a 220v autotransformer for the AU 240v

:rant:
a word about poor solder pot designs
as in infinity pool design or egg cup design is a lot better, then this type of recessed pot design
as large pcb's can be made to lie flat on the solder pool, the solder pot pool comes up to the brim & has a lower gutter that exses solder drains into 
as recessed cup designs fail to let you do this. IMO
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 09:33:38 am by jonovid »
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #10588 on: July 21, 2021, 09:19:16 am »
Solder Pot  8)

Soo.. The 2-prong mains cable that is there is fitted .. by whom? Since there are NO traces of the dual insulation that would be a requirement for a Euro-flat-style plug to be allowed, I'd like to point out that such a device desperately needs a PE connection, and a 3-conductor mains cable.

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10589 on: July 21, 2021, 09:26:19 am »
Shiver..  indeed, no way a 2-conductor mains cable should be fitted on such an appliance  :palm:

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10590 on: July 21, 2021, 10:32:22 am »
Solder Pot  8)

have not tested it yet.

as in infinity pool design or egg cup design is a lot better, then this type of recessed pot design
as large pcb's can be made to lie flat on the solder pool, the solder pot pool comes up to the brim & has a lower gutter that exses solder drains into 

Interesting. I have the exact same solder pot (edit: No, but extremely similar - 100W 220°C to 480°C), but branded CMW. It came with a 3 way earthed plug: https://de.banggood.com/CM360A-100W-200-480-Degree-Solder-Pot-Soldering-Desoldering-Stainless-Steel-Plate-p-1045343.html

McBryce.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:34:09 am by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #10591 on: July 21, 2021, 12:26:31 pm »
A pair of ancient 5-1/4 FDDs: Toshiba 5471 L0K and TEC FB-503

Both were reported as non-working, but upon closer inspection I can tell the TEC has residue around some recently replaced capacitors (by the previous owner). The Toshiba was reported as new by the previous owner and no residue is visibile - it might either be hidden under the ultra-small capactors (all 1980's ELNA) or simply a misconfiguration on its jumpers.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10592 on: July 22, 2021, 02:22:25 am »
I bought one of these GPS modules. Not really sure why, except for some vague idea of using it as part of a clock.

https://www.amazon.com/Acxico-Satellite-Positioning-Development-Arduino/dp/B083X5Y5NM/

It seems to be working okay. They give you very little instruction on how to use it and the software from u-blox was a confusing mess to get set up correctly. I don't know how well the built in antenna works other than to say, sitting on my bench for 20 minutes about 10 feet from a window it never got a lock. luckily I had also bought this separate antenna. I put it on the windowsill and within just a few minutes of hooking it up it was locked.

https://www.amazon.com/Bingfu-Waterproof-Navigation-Adhesive-Receiver/dp/B083D59N55/

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #10593 on: July 22, 2021, 08:49:06 am »

Both were reported as non-working, but upon closer inspection I can tell the TEC has residue around some recently replaced capacitors (by the previous owner). The Toshiba was reported as new by the previous owner and no residue is visibile - it might either be hidden under the ultra-small capactors (all 1980's ELNA) or simply a misconfiguration on its jumpers.

them  old 5-1/4 FDDs   they came with a ball screw & many salvageable parts   
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #10594 on: July 22, 2021, 10:36:11 am »
Solder Pot  8)

No no, it's a solderING pot. Only for soldering. No unsoldering allowed!

But seriously, apart from the fanciful lack of mains grounding, is that a crude triac power controller with no actual temperature sensor of any kind on the solder pot?  Really?
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10595 on: July 22, 2021, 10:49:00 am »
Solder Pot  8)

have not tested it yet.

Decided to take a look inside mine for comparison. Slightly better on the safety side. Case earthed (with an eyelet and screw!). Fuse in a holder, but similar "let's hope for the best" control circuitry with no feedback loop.
Before you say "but they've put the switch on the neutral instead of the live", it doesn't make it any less safe when you have a German power plug that can be plugged either way around.

McBryce.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 10:51:55 am by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: jonovid

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #10596 on: July 22, 2021, 11:07:58 am »

them  old 5-1/4 FDDs   they came with a ball screw & many salvageable parts
Hehehe... These even have 1.8º and 3.6º beefy stepper motors!

But at the moment I intend to restore them as some folks around my area can use a spare drive or two on their ancient computers.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #10597 on: July 22, 2021, 11:27:13 am »
Old disk drives make great music instruments.

iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, rsjsouza, shakalnokturn, armandine2

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #10598 on: July 22, 2021, 11:51:39 am »
Yes, I love those. The ones that get me are Floppotron's Billie Jean, Beat it and the Doom theme.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10599 on: July 22, 2021, 01:04:39 pm »
Solder Pot  8)

No no, it's a solderING pot. Only for soldering. No unsoldering allowed!

But seriously, apart from the fanciful lack of mains grounding, is that a crude triac power controller with no actual temperature sensor of any kind on the solder pot?  Really?

Looks like a similar setup to the little "El Cheapo" soldering iron I bought at Jaycar a few years back as a quick " work around" when my Weller died.

Maybe some supplier is stuck with a huge stock of those triac controllers unsold, as nobody buys lamp faders for home incandescents anymore.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf