General > General Technical Chat

What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!

<< < (2120/2149) > >>

jonovid:

--- Quote from: rsjsouza on July 21, 2021, 12:26:31 pm ---A pair of ancient 5-1/4 FDDs: Toshiba 5471 L0K and TEC FB-503

Both were reported as non-working, but upon closer inspection I can tell the TEC has residue around some recently replaced capacitors (by the previous owner). The Toshiba was reported as new by the previous owner and no residue is visibile - it might either be hidden under the ultra-small capactors (all 1980's ELNA) or simply a misconfiguration on its jumpers.

--- End quote ---
them  old 5-1/4 FDDs   they came with a ball screw & many salvageable parts   

TerraHertz:

--- Quote from: jonovid on July 21, 2021, 09:07:06 am ---Solder Pot  8)
--- End quote ---

No no, it's a solderING pot. Only for soldering. No unsoldering allowed!

But seriously, apart from the fanciful lack of mains grounding, is that a crude triac power controller with no actual temperature sensor of any kind on the solder pot?  Really?

McBryce:

--- Quote from: jonovid on July 21, 2021, 09:07:06 am ---Solder Pot  8)

ok ..In the interest of safety    I am saying  it came with no cord

its 38 x 40mm  550 °C  at 150 Watt

have not tested it yet.
as I do have a 220v autotransformer for the AU 240v

:rant:
a word about poor solder pot designs
as in infinity pool design or egg cup design is a lot better, then this type of recessed pot design
as large pcb's can be made to lie flat on the solder pool, the solder pot pool comes up to the brim & has a lower gutter that exses solder drains into 
as recessed cup designs fail to let you do this. IMO

--- End quote ---

Decided to take a look inside mine for comparison. Slightly better on the safety side. Case earthed (with an eyelet and screw!). Fuse in a holder, but similar "let's hope for the best" control circuitry with no feedback loop.
Before you say "but they've put the switch on the neutral instead of the live", it doesn't make it any less safe when you have a German power plug that can be plugged either way around.

McBryce.

rsjsouza:

--- Quote from: jonovid on July 22, 2021, 08:49:06 am ---
--- Quote from: rsjsouza on July 21, 2021, 12:26:31 pm ---A pair of ancient 5-1/4 FDDs: Toshiba 5471 L0K and TEC FB-503

Both were reported as non-working, but upon closer inspection I can tell the TEC has residue around some recently replaced capacitors (by the previous owner). The Toshiba was reported as new by the previous owner and no residue is visibile - it might either be hidden under the ultra-small capactors (all 1980's ELNA) or simply a misconfiguration on its jumpers.

--- End quote ---
them  old 5-1/4 FDDs   they came with a ball screw & many salvageable parts

--- End quote ---
Hehehe... These even have 1.8º and 3.6º beefy stepper motors!

But at the moment I intend to restore them as some folks around my area can use a spare drive or two on their ancient computers.

Ed.Kloonk:
Old disk drives make great music instruments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version