Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2781669 times)

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #10725 on: October 14, 2021, 11:21:55 am »
A key set:

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #10726 on: October 14, 2021, 01:44:59 pm »
On the plus side the tabs and slots are spot on and the holes are just on 0.05mm under the 20mm ready for a tweak to size with a reamer.
I don't know if I should admit this, but somehow, the third image, 20211014_183204_resized.jpg, makes me feel happy.
Wide box joints on 8mm thick metal; nice. ^-^

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10727 on: October 14, 2021, 01:48:10 pm »
I finally (!) bit the bullet and ordered a Korad bench power supply and a Hakko FX888D soldering station. They should arrive this week.

Very excited - they arrived yesterday! I just need to re-arrange my desk to move my work hardware to one side so I can use the other half for the bench supply and soldering station.

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10728 on: October 14, 2021, 04:15:53 pm »
Dont forget to test it extensive for 2 weeks so you can get your money back, stop cleaning your bench.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10729 on: October 15, 2021, 10:44:37 am »
Bought this flash unit at a local university garage sale mainly for the zip cord because it was dirt cheap.

When I got it home and opened up the battery compartment (which had been modified for an external power supply) I found some "0V" AA batteries that look like they were milled on a lathe. That made the purchase even more of a bargain.

And they are guaranteed not to leak!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: ledtester

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10730 on: October 15, 2021, 10:59:48 am »
On the plus side the tabs and slots are spot on and the holes are just on 0.05mm under the 20mm ready for a tweak to size with a reamer.
I don't know if I should admit this, but somehow, the third image, 20211014_183204_resized.jpg, makes me feel happy.

Part of it is 'because  8) ' but mainly so it makes getting all the bits to stay 90-0 when the welds try and move the bits around.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #10731 on: October 17, 2021, 06:13:04 am »
An old Motorola data book, 1966. Amazingly good condition and full of history.
No, the cover isn't half ripped off. That's the cover artwork. Someone had a sense of humor.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #10732 on: October 17, 2021, 07:05:03 am »

Part of it is 'because  8) ' but mainly so it makes getting all the bits to stay 90-0 when the welds try and move the bits around.

That solution for thick plates also was tried by German engineers in welding armour plate on the Panther and Königstiger tanks. As they'd copied the slanted frontal armour from the T-34, they needed a way to have the plates supporting each other mutually and box joints (on the upper side a 150mm face hardened armour plate joined to a 100mm one for the lower part) were chosen.

By that time in the war, they were running short of alloy metals and experienced workers, so the heat treating crucial to a working armour plate was not always successful...

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #10733 on: October 17, 2021, 08:04:50 am »
No, the cover isn't half ripped off. That's the cover artwork. Someone had a sense of humor.

The dog ate my homework.
iratus parum formica

Offline m3vuv

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10734 on: October 17, 2021, 12:44:51 pm »
just brought a tek 2215 scope that i totaly forgot bidding on days ago https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115038117892 asked the seller if it actualy fires up when plugged in ,but just got a load of what seems b.s so assume its dead,wee will see,but at least it was cheap,will be sommat else on the tuit pile lol.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10735 on: October 17, 2021, 02:51:46 pm »
just brought a tek 2215 scope that i totaly forgot bidding on days ago https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115038117892 asked the seller if it actualy fires up when plugged in ,but just got a load of what seems b.s so assume its dead,wee will see,but at least it was cheap,will be sommat else on the tuit pile lol.

That's quite a bit of rust on it, hopefully only on the outer parts. I assume the seller doesn't know much about the scope, it's obvious he's a photography expert, not an electronics expert. :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #10736 on: October 18, 2021, 06:21:16 am »
Two Uni-T mini meters and miscellaneous components.  :)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10737 on: October 18, 2021, 08:19:33 am »

Nice stash. If you want to mount either of the UNI-T's on a tripod there is a 3D printed mount for them  ;) Fairly sure I never posted the files but let me know if you or anyone else want them.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: gamalot

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #10738 on: October 18, 2021, 12:11:21 pm »

Nice stash. If you want to mount either of the UNI-T's on a tripod there is a 3D printed mount for them  ;) Fairly sure I never posted the files but let me know if you or anyone else want them.

Thank you very much, this is really a good idea. I will print some quick release plates so that these meters can share tripods with my cameras and phone holder.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #10739 on: October 18, 2021, 11:14:05 pm »

It's not too bad. Has been left somewhere with some humidity. The two rusty screws on the front bottom corners of the CRT are 'blued steel' and that always rusts at the drop of a hat. Just replace them.  The carry handle body, that looks like rust, is actually rubber with severe mold. It might clean off pretty well. The probes have bad 'soft plastic decay' and mold, but you can throw them away and get new cheaply. Other than that, just some standard cleaning. The delay vernier dial has a little aluminium corrosion frosting, might clean OK.

You might be lucky, and have a 'low price because looks horrible, but easily fixed up' score.
Inside the scope is probably OK, but best to give it a good long bake out before powering up.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #10740 on: October 27, 2021, 07:56:43 am »
STM32G071B-DISCO USB-C Discovery kit from Mouser.  :)

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline ChristofferB

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
« Reply #10741 on: October 28, 2021, 07:10:37 pm »
Technically this was bought with the time it took me to get it out of the dumpster.

NIM bin, modules, MHV SHV and BNC cables, a xenon proportional counter and Canberra 2006 charge preamplifier,
And some miscellaneous instruments. One of homemade and soviet origin

Everything works and the detector/preamp amp combo gives beautiful gamma spectra!

I am super hyped!
--Christoffer //IG:Chromatogiraffery
Check out my scientific instruments diy (GC, HPLC, NMR, etc) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8l6SdZuRuoSdze1dIpzAQ

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #10742 on: October 28, 2021, 10:02:57 pm »
That is a good catch and going to a good home too :)
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10743 on: October 28, 2021, 10:10:57 pm »
basically finished hacking my Ball Efratom Rb frequwncy standard. it was a dual Rb with GPSDO module in a single 6U rackmount, now a 3U tabletop.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10744 on: October 30, 2021, 12:15:08 pm »
Not today, but last week, I bought some heatshrink tubing, some TO3 mica washers & spacers, a knob to fit a 1/4' shaft pot, & a useless coax crimping tool!

The one I've used for years has disappeared, so I needed another, & bought this thing from Jaycar.
Problem is, it doesn't crimp, running out of travel before it can do so! >:( >:(

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #10745 on: October 30, 2021, 01:49:19 pm »
Finally pulled the tab and got myself an Uni-T UT210E.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #10746 on: October 30, 2021, 08:12:04 pm »
Not today, but last week, I bought some heatshrink tubing, some TO3 mica washers & spacers, a knob to fit a 1/4' shaft pot, & a useless coax crimping tool!

The one I've used for years has disappeared, so I needed another, & bought this thing from Jaycar.
Problem is, it doesn't crimp, running out of travel before it can do so! >:( >:(

I too own one of those crimpers. Fizzer!
iratus parum formica

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10747 on: October 30, 2021, 08:19:13 pm »

Which one ?
Recently got their TH1846 but not used it much yet.
Figured the handle is a generic type that will take the many various crimp heads/dies that can be sourced online.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #10748 on: October 30, 2021, 08:31:37 pm »

Which one ?
Figured the handle is a generic type that will take the many various crimp heads/dies that can be sourced online.

I think he means the 1832. That what I have. No rachtet.
iratus parum formica

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10749 on: October 30, 2021, 09:41:21 pm »

Which one ?

I think he means the 1832. That what I have. No rachtet.
Don't like the look of that one much and think TH1833 would be the better choice as those and 1846 have the fine adjustment.  :-//
https://www.jaycar.co.nz/search/?q=crimping%20tool:relevance&page=0
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf