Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2790318 times)

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #10850 on: December 27, 2021, 02:04:12 pm »
I just ordered some potentiometers, audio op amps and a DAC IC, as I wanted to play around with one.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10851 on: December 27, 2021, 02:50:18 pm »
eheh my old ThinkPad needs a new battery, if I unplug the external power source (+18V), it immediately power off.

It literally has 100 msec of autonomy  :-DD

It is probably running in powersave mode, even when plugged into mains. My partner's Thinkpad took to being slow (like running the CPU at 700MHz), fixed by replacing the battery. It seems that the system relies on only the battery power level to determine how long it's going to last (and, hence, when to switch to battery saving mode) and ignores whether external power is applied.

The following users thanked this post: DiTBho

Offline ChristofferB

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
« Reply #10852 on: December 29, 2021, 05:33:29 pm »
Got myself a few toys over christmas!

A Ludlum model 3 geiger counter with pancake probe, the "Fluke" of geiger counters!

and a Spellman 10kV 3mA PSU!

look at this interesting design, an RF air core transformer steps up voltage and rectifies it through two diodes, but the whole transformer secondary module is flippable to swap polarity.
--Christoffer //IG:Chromatogiraffery
Check out my scientific instruments diy (GC, HPLC, NMR, etc) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8l6SdZuRuoSdze1dIpzAQ

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, shakalnokturn

Offline msuffidy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10853 on: December 29, 2021, 10:23:48 pm »
Rotary tool restock kit $15 Canadian
USB powered RGB led strip $10. (For possible use in the future). It seems to be like 60 rgb leds in parallel.

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10854 on: December 30, 2021, 03:13:30 pm »
A boat load of 3M 9105 N95 respirators arrived from Mouser of all places. They're unfortunately out of stock but you can back order them, they bloody sold out within a day or two of placing my order. Lead time is a year but hopefully it ends up being a lot less and I placed a back order just to see what happens.  :'(

The omicron wave is ripping through Sydney at the moment and it's so frustrating trying to find decent masks locally at a sane price. Anything N95 or P2 (our rough equivalent) is somewhere in the $2-$4 range. I might have to resort to buying KF94's from Korea at this point (can get some masks for $1 each or less even after DHL shipping).

I highly recommend the 3M 9105 if they fit you of course. They are "duckbill" style so while they look goofy the breathing resistance is very low. For some strange reason I thought a more protective mask would be difficult to breathe in and uncomfortable compared to a basic cloth/surgical mask, but that is not the case at all.

This is so bizarre...I think mask buying/research has become a new practical mini hobby of mine ahahahah. Many of my friends and family work in hospitality/retail so I feel like it's my duty to kit them out.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10855 on: December 30, 2021, 03:24:11 pm »
A boat load of 3M 9105 N95 respirators arrived from Mouser of all places. They're unfortunately out of stock but you can back order them, they bloody sold out within a day or two of placing my order. Lead time is a year but hopefully it ends up being a lot less and I placed a back order just to see what happens.  :'(

The omicron wave is ripping through Sydney at the moment and it's so frustrating trying to find decent masks locally at a sane price. Anything N95 or P2 (our rough equivalent) is somewhere in the $2-$4 range. I might have to resort to buying KF94's from Korea at this point (can get some masks for $1 each or less even after DHL shipping).

I highly recommend the 3M 9105 if they fit you of course. They are "duckbill" style so while they look goofy the breathing resistance is very low. For some strange reason I thought a more protective mask would be difficult to breathe in and uncomfortable compared to a basic cloth/surgical mask, but that is not the case at all.

This is so bizarre...I think mask buying/research has become a new practical mini hobby of mine ahahahah. Many of my friends and family work in hospitality/retail so I feel like it's my duty to kit them out.

- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, rsjsouza, deadlylover, shakalnokturn

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10856 on: December 31, 2021, 02:16:29 am »
RE: best face mask.. I thought you were talking about this kind. I have a personal health issue that ensures that I am acutely aware of the filtration efficacy of face masks. I find many brands and types of masks are useless. Not these, Kimberly Clark ones, though. They work well. They seal out particulates There are several different styles, the ones I buy are shaped like a trapezoidal horse feed bag with elastic on each side, and fit over your face similarly to a duck bill.  Mold makes me sick and unless I use a mask that seals well I get really ill. So I know.

Really big difference.

https://www.kcprofessional.com/en-us/products/scientific-and-research/lab-environment/disposable-masks/kimtech-n95-pouch-respirator/53358
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

The following users thanked this post: deadlylover

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #10857 on: January 01, 2022, 01:47:23 am »
Latest:

Neutrik A1 Audioanalyzer and Tektronix AM503A Module...

The following users thanked this post: exor, mansaxel, duckduck

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10858 on: January 01, 2022, 01:06:30 pm »
Photo shows the result of a late purchase from RS on Xmas eve.

1366283-0

RS were magic - can't remember the time but it was late in the day, but nevertheless I shortly got an email saying it had shipped! Better, I then got an email from DHL saying they had it, and it was progressing. Tuesday I got an email from them saying it would be delivered the next day and would need signing for, so rather than a late breadkfast commensurate with the season, I made sure I was up super-early to receive it. Late in the day I go another email saying it couldn't be delivered that day but they would deliver the next working day. So, again, instead of a comfy quilt I'm up at the break of dawn (OK, maybe 9am) waiting. And waiting. And waiting. Go to their track & trace and the parcel is at a 'sortation facility' still, but will be delivered next working day. Tried to phone them but, not being their customer, all they provide is recorded or computer generated messages.

Figured they've probably lost it so got back to RS who were, again, excellent and returned an email to me within minutes to say they'd got in touch with DHL and the reason it hadn't turned up was because DHL were closed until next week! WTF?!? Why the hell didn't they say that instead of pretending someone is going to want a signature and have me sitting around waiting for them! Bastards. Needless to say, moments after the RS email I got a notification from DHL that the parcel would be delivered on Tuesday (yes, a full 11 days after shipping), and a check of the tracking shows it's now moved from 'sortation facility' to 'in transit', so I suspect RS may have made known their displeasure.

I realise it's not the right time of year for parcels but if they'd just said they were closed I would have shrugged and got on with things, but instead they knowingly lied and led me on.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #10859 on: January 01, 2022, 02:21:29 pm »
I received the replacement HP EliteBook 840 G4 keyboard with Swedish/Finnish layout a couple of days ago.

Herein lies the tale.

The proper HP part is 836308-B71: Backlit keyboard assembly.  However, since it costs 120€, and I rarely use the keyboard backlight at all, and this is already a few years old, I opted to go for the cheaper, non-backlit assembly 836307-B71 instead, which costs 64€.  Yes, indeed: the backlight LEDs cost 60 euros.  Otherwise the keyboards are identical, including the pointing stick ("nipple") between G, H, and B keys.

Well, I cannot really begrudge HP for the price: at least they have these spares in stock, and the price for the non-backlit one is very reasonable (considering how few Swe/Fin layout ones are in use, compared to e.g. US, DE, FR, UK, and so on.  Although the price for the backlit one is high, it isn't outrageous.  HP also shipped it very, very quickly: from my order very early on the 27th, it was already here in Finland the next day at nine in the morning.

UPS, of course, completely botched the tracking.  It first stated that it would be delivered by the end of the day on the 28th, and when the day changed, it turned into "we'll let you know".

On the 29th, UPS still had no idea when it would be delivered ("We'll let you know when we know the delivery date"), so I had a epiphany:  I wrote a grocery list, almost put my coat on to go to get my new years groceries, but instead just sat down waiting.  It only took fifteen minutes for the UPS guy to knock on my door, with my keyboard in hand!

(I know that sounds unlikely, but it is true.  It took me a couple of days to believe it worked.  No, I am not prone to magical thinking or superstition; it was just too perfect an experiment.  I just didn't believe it would work.  Probably should have bought a lotto ticket?)

The keyboard seems to work perfectly.  There might be some tab differences between the 836807-D71 (non-backlit) and 836808-D71 (backlit), in the lower left corner, as I now see one of the tabs is not seated correctly.  Not a big deal to fix, which I'll do right now. Edited: Nope, the two match perfectly, it was just dirt blocking the tab slot on the plastic chassis; so, the only difference between the two is 836807-D71 does not have the center FPC cable for the LED backlight.  Functionally, no complaints.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 02:35:28 pm by Nominal Animal »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #10860 on: January 01, 2022, 02:30:38 pm »
Proof of approval remains with the cat and the inevitable walk of asdnlafnakldgngtrothpagzbn
iratus parum formica

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10861 on: January 01, 2022, 02:30:42 pm »
so I had a epiphany:  I wrote a grocery list, almost put my coat on to go to get my new years groceries

Dang! I should've tried that.

Online trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10862 on: January 02, 2022, 05:08:53 am »
Purchased some expensive ICs for some future low-level analog goodness. I also bought some extra as I have PTSD from the ongoing component shortage and I am certainly not helping by hoarding.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10863 on: January 03, 2022, 09:18:45 pm »
   $80 dollars got me a new DREMEL TOOL !
   Wanted / needed for struggling inventor / artist.

The Rotary Tool accessory kit, mentioned above, (back a few posts), looks good, as I've noticed only chuck size was 1/8 inch, in mine.
   Like to do Mini Lathe stuff, but IDK: Most accomplished machinists would say:
   " Regular size LATHES are, actually, more accurate than tiny lathes."

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10864 on: January 04, 2022, 08:16:07 am »
2GHz 4ch scope, 4 port VNA, four 100 MHz 4ch scopes, 4 PSU's and a couple of E loads.

Last order of 4 DMM's, 2 SA's, 6 DSO's and 7 AWG's arrive in a few days.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10865 on: January 04, 2022, 08:25:11 pm »

Been wanting one of these for a long time - but only intermittently...when I need to see in the dark :) Then, it would be off to find some flashlights and get them held or positioned....and so on and so forth. So, for $40, I pulled the trigger.

This model, the " ePOWER 360 Rechargeable LED Worklight & Spotlight" from Casa Costco is not a new model and there are several GooTube videos and various reviews around. It looked like it fit the bill. I charged it up and did some testing and I still feel like it fits the bill - so maybe it does :)
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #10866 on: January 04, 2022, 08:56:59 pm »

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #10867 on: January 04, 2022, 09:00:26 pm »
some CD4040 IC's, sockets, toggle switches, pin-and-barrel DC plugs (Lumberg, reputed to be least worst) and a big honkin' 230/12V transformer, to drive the stomp box PSU circuit I've stripboarded together. Soon, any year now, I'll get to be building a chorus pedal with the Middle Boy.   Separately, from the Pearl River delta, I've ordered cheesy Ø 45mm analog V and A meters to go on the PSU box.

Youngest Boy has a IBM Model M usb mod cable coming, as part of his Model M refurb project.

Kitchen exhaust fan is getting a 0-1-2-3 cam switch (Nockenschalter), also from the Pearl River delta, because the original one burned out a year ago. I'm tired of my hot-wire of "Max Speed" to a 0-1 switch, and I want the lights to go on with other kitchen lights.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10868 on: January 04, 2022, 09:01:47 pm »
2GHz 4ch scope

Let me guess.. 8) ;D
No prize if you get it right.  ;)  :P
Worst bit is the 4-5 weeks by sea for it to get here.  :( Airfreight is crazy expensive these days.  :--
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10869 on: January 05, 2022, 04:57:30 pm »
Needed some basic speakers for computer use so I would get a break from wearing earphones/headphones all day. I settled on the Fostex PM0.5dB studio monitors, somehow they are quite good value here down under at 300 dollarydoos (USD220) shipped for the pair.

Although it's slightly overkill for my needs, I wanted something more future proof that can handle simple home theatre hand-me-down duty (would be way better than using built in TV speakers). Otherwise I would have gone for something smaller for better fit on the desk.

Ironically it will probably spend most of its time playing lofi beats as background music. Oh well, you can take me out of the audiophile forums but you can't take the audiophile out of me ahahah. They were a bloody uncontrolled mess without EQ in my tiny untreated room/setup.  :P

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10870 on: January 05, 2022, 08:30:05 pm »
Clearing some shelf space today led me to a local charity shop. After unburdening myself of mostly unwanted history textbooks I had a brief look through their science bookshelves - and got The R Book in mint condition and at £10 a lowish price.

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #10871 on: January 05, 2022, 10:52:11 pm »
Tektronix AM503A Module...

Test it at work today ( acutally no frame, no probe at home) - Works flawless so far  :-+

Bid on a probe on ebay - the final price is killing me, even for a very used one and untested... :(

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #10872 on: January 06, 2022, 07:18:52 am »
After a long wait of two months and one week, I finally received the package from China, which contains a lot of electronic components and some electrical accessories such as chargers and USB cables. The one item I am most looking forward to is this LCR extension cable, which comes from an unfamiliar brand ETA 埃塔 (please don’t mind if you are Spanish, trust me, the manufacturer really doesn’t mean it), and the price is only 200 RMB (30 USD or 40 AUD).

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #10873 on: January 06, 2022, 10:36:25 am »
Not exactly a purchase, but preorder. I pre-ordered prusa xl (stock image attached).

I also preordered steam deck, but have little hope to get it any time soon.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10874 on: January 07, 2022, 08:00:03 am »
A small forest worth of Exotic and Expensive Dead Trees.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf