Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754603 times)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #4925 on: December 19, 2017, 07:35:06 pm »
I just bought another HP 3466A multimeter off of evilbay.  Listed as parts/not working but shown connected to a power supply having an accurate reading.  The seller says the display LEDs don't match the function.  My first one was like that and contact cleaner and vigorous button pushing fixed that.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #4926 on: December 20, 2017, 12:37:56 am »
Searching for a long time already (with all probes, GPIB and all or a reasonable price - that nrequires to be patient).
Last weekend I got what I was looking for.

Cool. I got one earlier in the year, an excellent scope. You got more with it than I did. Be sure to get a floppy disk for the full user experience!  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4927 on: December 20, 2017, 02:36:34 am »
Ordered a week ago and Fedex delivered today (across the country). BK9104 that was on sale with an additional price drop that brought it from $495 list to $388.

0-84V and 0-10A (any combo valid as long as total output power is no more than 320W). Now I can test a new LED driver design that runs about 150W output and needs to operate from nominal 48V (44V - 60V input).

New power supply will supplement my Rigol DP1116A (0-16V 0-10A, 0-32V 0-5A).

cheers,
george.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4928 on: December 20, 2017, 03:23:36 am »
It was designed specifically for the military. The meter itself does have true RMS, unlike it's civilian counterpart. But it also included an HV probe (6kV?), and a custom case to fit it all IIRC (DMM, HV probe, standard probes, spare battery).
That refers to the 27 model, not the 27/FM then, so does that also extend to the 25? The one I have does indeed have the custom case but not the HV probe, the back of the meter also carries a MSHA label (Mine Safety and Health Administration and also states United States Department of Labor but does not mention military apart from an embossing in the moulding at the top.

This embossing states "Meets MIL-STD-810C, method 511.1 procedure 1 explosive atmosphere test"
If I understand you correctly, the answer is No in regard to the 27 v. 27/FM. The 27/FM was the military variant (it's NSN or NATO Stock Number is on a silver sticker on the back of the enclosure). So it wasn't just for the US DoD, but available to all NATO member nations (if you're not aware of these). Since some 27's use the same grey enclosure as the 27/FM, the easiest way to sort this out is by the printing on the LCD cover. So if it's missing 27/FM, then it's a civilian model. Regardless if it's in a grey or yellow enclosure.

Internally, U2 is a DIP package marked with Fluke RMS on the main board, while the civilian models don't have it. If repair is necessary, it's all PTH construction save U1.

Of the 8025A, 8025B, 25, 27, 27/FM (military variant), the 27/FM is the only version that has the Fluke RMS chip in it (it's the only SMD part in it BTW). As per the HV probe, it is 6kV peak model (P/N = 80K-6 High Voltage Probe).

The 25 series are all MSHA rated as they were purpose built for that environment. More recent versions used EX after the general P/N, such as the 87V-EX. They also used red for the boot color in order to easily differentiate it was designed for explosive environments. The current intrinsically safe model is the 28 II Ex.

Colors can vary depending on when it was produced (i.e. green, grey, yellow and when they were implemented).

Couple of sources that provide more information:Hope this helps.  :)

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #4929 on: December 20, 2017, 07:02:45 am »
Earlier on today I had ten minutes to kill so I stopped in on the local Cash Converters Store and found an almost brand new set of these Crescent Ratcheting Cable Cutters, I persuaded the guy to hand them over for fifteen bucks.   >:D

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #4930 on: December 20, 2017, 07:10:07 am »
Earlier on today I had ten minutes to kill so I stopped in on the local Cash Converters Store and found an almost brand new set of these Crescent Ratcheting Cable Cutters, I persuaded the guy to hand them over for fifteen bucks.   >:D

:o  Holy crap!!  Dude, you STOLE that for $15!!!  Looks like they go for something north of $100 new.  Nice score!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #4931 on: December 20, 2017, 07:10:39 am »
Today I bought myself an iPhone X and the wife an iPhone 8, I must say I’m massively impressed by the X, brilliantly engineered piece of gear, it’s really next level stuff!  :-+

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4932 on: December 20, 2017, 07:12:32 am »
Noice cable cutter!
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4933 on: December 20, 2017, 07:25:30 am »
BS they're for cutting cables Muttley, you really got those for your pedicure needs.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4934 on: December 20, 2017, 08:46:44 am »
Today I bought myself an iPhone X and the wife an iPhone 8, I must say I’m massively impressed by the X, brilliantly engineered piece of gear, it’s really next level stuff!  :-+
Great phone but I wouldn't use the face recognition feature if I were u, IR light from the illuminator is bad for the eye and already samsung users have reported discomfort with it

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #4935 on: December 20, 2017, 08:50:09 am »
Great phone but I wouldn't use the face recognition feature if I were u, IR light from the illuminator is bad for the eye and already samsung users have reported discomfort with it

It’s too damn convenient not to use tbh, it’s just so well integrated and seamless!

I believe apple are using different tech to Samsung so we’ll see how it goes in day to day use.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #4936 on: December 20, 2017, 12:27:23 pm »
The IR illuminator is pulsed only during recognition phase. How do you get discomfort from that? You'd probably die when walking by IR LED CCTV camera's then.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4937 on: December 20, 2017, 02:09:14 pm »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4597594/Samsung-users-say-iris-scanner-causing-eye-discomfort.html

"studies have found that the protein found in the lens of the eye is very sensitive to the infrared radiation used in the biometric and when exposed, can lead to cataract"

You'd probably die when walking by IR LED CCTV camera's then.
I feel my eyes itchy every time I incidentally look at a plate IR illiminator in a car parking.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4938 on: December 20, 2017, 05:01:05 pm »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4597594/Samsung-users-say-iris-scanner-causing-eye-discomfort.html

"studies have found that the protein found in the lens of the eye is very sensitive to the infrared radiation used in the biometric and when exposed, can lead to cataract"

I feel my eyes itchy every time I incidentally look at a plate IR illiminator in a car parking.
I find this statement from the article quite disingenuous, given that I am pretty sure nobody did studies on iris scanning technology leading to cataract - IR exposure maybe, but without more qualifiers (intensity and duration of the exposure, number of years) that is quite an empty claim.

I don't intend to discredit folks that feel strange things when exposed to direct eye exposure to IR beams - the variations of the human body among the population are extreme and can't be "bucketed" into saying technology such and such is "100% safe".
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #4939 on: December 20, 2017, 08:20:20 pm »
The IR illuminator is pulsed only during recognition phase. How do you get discomfort from that? You'd probably die when walking by IR LED CCTV camera's then.

I suspect the issue with Samsung's tech is that the light is focused directly into the iris, Apple's tech illuminates the entire face with 30,000 IR dots instead.

Iris recognition might look cool in the movies, but I think shining focused ir light into the iris a hundred times a day is not such a great idea.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #4940 on: December 21, 2017, 02:10:21 pm »
I've always wanted to have a multi-channel power supply, like the Agilent E3631A, but I've never found a cheap one, so I bought this compact Texio as an alternative.

It's cheap because seller claims it won't turn on and will sold it as 'parts or not working'  ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 04:21:03 am by gamalot »

The following users thanked this post: jonovid

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4941 on: December 21, 2017, 03:09:43 pm »
I've always wanted to have a multi-channel power supply, like the Agilent E3631A, but I've never found a cheap one, so I bought this compact Texio as an alternative.

It's cheap because seller claims it won't turn on and will sold it as 'parts or not working'  ;D
Don't look now but it's on[emoji23]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #4942 on: December 21, 2017, 03:47:43 pm »

Don't look now but it's on[emoji23]

It took me 1 minute to fix it, the mains voltage selector switches were in the wrong position.  :)

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4943 on: December 22, 2017, 01:05:07 pm »

But sunlight is 52% infrared at the earth’s surface. If anyone were that sensitive to IR, they’d feel like they were on fire in daylight — in the shade, never mind direct sunlight. Or anywhere near an incandescent lamp, or any kind of fire.

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4944 on: December 22, 2017, 01:43:43 pm »

Nice!

It looks like ex-Kenwood power supply and the brand changed to Texio when Kenwood T&M division was acquired by GW-instek.

Many of them are still used in Japanese assembly lines.

It is a popular power supply because it has very low ripple noise.
If I remember correctly these models were physically heavy:)

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #4945 on: December 22, 2017, 04:00:02 pm »

I find this statement from the article quite disingenuous, given that I am pretty sure nobody did studies on iris scanning technology leading to cataract - IR exposure maybe, but without more qualifiers (intensity and duration of the exposure, number of years) that is quite an empty claim.
Actually IR exposure has been studied, and as you concluded no link to cataract or retina issues (UV does hurt retina).
IR light and IR cameras are widely used in many ophthalmic devices (almost all imaging diagnostics and surgical lasers that require eye tracking). Simply the bast way to have enough light on the eye without bothering the patient or changing the pupil size and affecting eye tracking performance.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #4946 on: December 22, 2017, 04:53:01 pm »

Nice!

It looks like ex-Kenwood power supply and the brand changed to Texio when Kenwood T&M division was acquired by GW-instek.

It is a popular power supply because it has very low ripple noise.
If I remember correctly these models were physically heavy:)

Yes, it is only slightly more than half the size of the E3631A (138x124x380 vs 213x133x348), but it is even heavier than the E3631A (9 kg vs 8 kg).

Online cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #4947 on: December 22, 2017, 05:48:00 pm »
I picked up an HP 5061B Cesium Beam Frequency Standard.  The person I bought if from is the recognized expert with HP rubidium standards.  He sent me the Allan Deviation plot for the 5061B demonstrating almost a factor of magnitude than a standard 5061B which he ran on his Hydrogen Maser.  I've been into frequency-nuttery lately having picked up 6 Rubidium standards and splitting my Lucent GPSDO into two.

He also gave me a backup Cesium tube and a matched driver board along with it.  Needless to say it wasn't cheap but I consider it a great deal compared to those I see on eBay.  It's also it excellent external condition.

I have to find a better counter now, something like an SR620 or PM6681.  A local nut and I are going to run some three-hat experiments on our Cs standards as he has two to my one.

Anyway, I'll load a picture or two along the way.

Jerry

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4948 on: December 22, 2017, 05:55:41 pm »
Fudge

Home made fudge being sold from a stall at a Christmas Market, two pieces of each flavor and there are twelve flavors from lemon to 'death by white chocolate'. It was damn expensive but SO good, you can only eat three pieces and you feel full. This bag should last us a week.

Oh, wait, you mean electronic stuff, so sorry  ^-^
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4949 on: December 22, 2017, 05:58:50 pm »

Very interesting. Didn't know that.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf