Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754676 times)

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #5175 on: January 15, 2018, 07:11:20 pm »
Received the Kyocera P3050dn laser printer I ordered Jan. 10th 2018 (Wednesday last week) in the evening.
I chose and paid for "Premiumversand" -guaranteed delivery (most likely the next day after shipping)..

Next sign of life: Thursday, 11.01.18 16:19: shipping label registered at DHL.
Friday: Waiting, nothing happens.
Saturday: Waiting. nothing.. -no, wait: Saturday, 13.01.18 10:40: Package registered at DHL the first time.  :wtf:
Skipping Sunday; Monday (today):  Monday, 15.01.18 11:59 Package finally delivered.

Great! Only slightly late. (*irony*)

Unboxing, installing according to manual, first print.
Printer is producing a smeared printout.  :palm:
Going through every step of the manual to get a sharp, smooth printout: Shaking up the toner, different Cleaning steps. Nothing helps. Calling the Kyocera customer support, result: printer is actually DOD (defective on delivery). :palm:

Ok, getting back to amazon, got a return address label.
Monday, 15.01.2018, 19:06: Printer shipped back to amazon. Replacement will be delivered. When? Nobody knows but amazon.  :palm:

This day was completely useless. Spent seven hours of my flextime wage record for nothing.  :rant:

Sometimes you loose, sometimes the others win..   :-DD
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5176 on: January 15, 2018, 07:38:17 pm »
Chris, enjoy your Brother.  I have a new HL-L5100DW.  I am using mine wired to the gigbit switch over WIFI.  I don't mind cables here in my office.  I gave my $10 yard sale HL-1440 to the stepdaughter and her husband.  4 printers in the office is enough  ;D

Thanks :) This one is now setup to use WiFi and it's working OK. I also have 2 Canon photo inkjets and a Brother all-in-one inkjet (plus heaven knows how many other unused inkjets stored in various cupboards!). I'm off-loading the bulk of the kids schoolwork printing needs onto this laser, it might be cheaper to feed (certainly quicker). Just got to train them NOT to hit print half a dozen times just because the printer doesn't respond instantly...  :rant:

For me, the other printer is an Epson Workforce all in one.  I have a company provided HP color laser and a UPS thermal printer for company use.  The Brother responds much more quickly than the old one but the 1440 wasn't a network printer.  That was connected by an HP JetDirect EX Plus print server.  It also prints almost twice as fast so that is awesome.  I keep telling myself that I don't want desktop lasers because they are such a bear to work on but the price I paid put it on par with an HP Laserjet 4000TN I was looking at with adding on a duplexer and the HL-1440 has been absolutely reliable-not even a paper jam.  My wants were 1200 x 1200 dpi and a duplexer.  I get that with the Epson but it will be cheaper to feed the Brother as I don't often need to print in color.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5177 on: January 15, 2018, 08:19:59 pm »
Just ordered a Carbide 3D Nimad 883 Pro CNC machine. Lead time is 4~6 weeks, so it will take a while to arrive.
Gonna do some tiny part CNC, particularly copper alloy and aluminum alloy.

Spindle is rated at 50W 10,000rpm, so as long as you are doing engraving or micro machining with 1/8" bit or smaller it should be OK.
Get extra bits and delrin or similar to practice on.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #5178 on: January 15, 2018, 08:22:12 pm »

Spindle is rated at 50W 10,000rpm, so as long as you are doing engraving or micro machining with 1/8" bit or smaller it should be OK.
Get extra bits and delrin or similar to practice on.

Yikes, I thought it had a bit more power than that. An 1/8 endmill would stall that in an instant.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #5179 on: January 15, 2018, 10:39:59 pm »
Testing the DPS5015 with USB coms module. I guess the basic thing works but I find if I get much over 55w output the controler resets and the USB connection is dropped (not sure which happens first, whether the dropped connection resets the controler or simply the controler resets and thus the USB connection is gone..). With a 30v/3A input it should be good for 90w or so, can't get near that without it dropping out. Need to do more testing to figure out what is going on. Output voltages seem to be accurate though, I ask for 5V and that's what I get :)

Edit: It may be seeing the two power resistors (effectively 0.5 Ohm) as a dead short which I guess could be upsetting it...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:42:45 pm by ChrisLX200 »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #5180 on: January 16, 2018, 10:05:48 am »
Saw this locally, snag it cause its damn cheap about $10  :palm:, and was not expecting too much from this price level. But after played with it for about 30 mins, actually its quite decent. And also as the twistable 2 shapes (gun vs straight) is pretty handy too.

Next is to tear it down as according to manual it uses 3 NiCd cells (3.6 V) inside, wonder if can be modded to fit in a high current discharge 18650 Li-Ion cell with cell protector & charger, as the handle volume is more than enough to fit it in.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5181 on: January 16, 2018, 03:33:28 pm »
Sounds like eGan FETs and an LM5113 driver. Good guess?

Short and misplld from my mobile......

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #5182 on: January 16, 2018, 05:20:06 pm »
Just some bits and bobs from the local surplus store...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #5183 on: January 18, 2018, 06:51:54 am »
Brought 7 days ago the DIYINHK lens kit turned up in the mail to go on the Microsoft LifeCam Studio that took 5 days from Sydney  :palm: so my aging eyes can keep seeing the smaller and smaller bits  ;D

Followed the 4 year old video and in 10-12 minutes including desoldering the old lens in my 44 degree shack. Quick check with some shaky hand held snaps on low res and all looks great  :-+

Working distance seems around the 150mm range and maybe 20x25mm or a bit larger area.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5184 on: January 18, 2018, 10:44:59 am »
Bought a house today.  Well a second one. ;)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5185 on: January 18, 2018, 01:17:50 pm »

In case the first one breaks?  ::)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5186 on: January 18, 2018, 01:43:29 pm »

McBryce.

Obviously not.  It's in case the first one get filled up with TEA.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5187 on: January 18, 2018, 04:56:38 pm »
Bought a TS100 Soldering iron. 

+Laptop brick PSU, soldering accessories.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #5188 on: January 18, 2018, 09:28:45 pm »
My Rigol Calibration kit just arrived from TEquipment. Interesting that their photograph is completely different from the product itself...  :-BROKE

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5189 on: January 18, 2018, 10:42:07 pm »
My Rigol Calibration kit just arrived from TEquipment. Interesting that their photograph is completely different from the product itself...  :-BROKE

That sucks, I'm sure you can return it if it doesn't do what you want.

Looks like this is the product in the picture: https://www.rigol-uk.co.uk/Rigol-DS6000-DK-Demo-Board-p/ds6000-dk.htm
Rigol DS6000-DK Demo Board Our Price: £190.00 (228.00 inc VAT)

Part number DS6000 vs DS6000-DK?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #5190 on: January 19, 2018, 12:07:42 am »

That sucks, I'm sure you can return it if it doesn't do what you want.

Looks like this is the product in the picture: https://www.rigol-uk.co.uk/Rigol-DS6000-DK-Demo-Board-p/ds6000-dk.htm
Rigol DS6000-DK Demo Board Our Price: £190.00 (228.00 inc VAT)

Part number DS6000 vs DS6000-DK?
Thanks, but that is exactly what I need. I had a strong suspicion the photograph was wrong all along, as the Rigol cal procedure calls for the multi-cable setup and not for a board - which you are right: the DS6000-DK is the demo board (which I don't need).

I sent a PM to the resident TEquipment account around here to let them know about the problem. Hopefully they read private messages.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5191 on: January 19, 2018, 05:52:34 am »

McBryce.

Obviously not.  It's in case the first one get filled up with TEA.

Exactly! :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5192 on: January 19, 2018, 07:51:54 am »
I finally received my stackable silicone banana leads. Against my better judgement I ordered them from far away lands. They seem okay. The resistance is very low, which indicates they didn't skimp too much on the materials. They are a bit tighter than I'd like them to be, but using them a few times helps. One plug crapped out almost right away, so the judge is out on the quality. Might have been a dud, or the durability isn't that great.

I'm yet to have a go at them with the soldering iron to see how the silicone holds up.

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5193 on: January 19, 2018, 08:07:42 am »
Yesterday I got some LM2576T-5 G's from RS Components.  The order was for LM2576T-5 G, the stock number was for LM2576T-5 G, the antistatic bag the parts where in said LM2576T-5 G, but the components where small surface mount 3 pin devices that look like linear regulators and most definately not TO-220-5 devices.

Obviously I will return them, but as the anti-static bag has the correct stock number and part name, I'm worried I will just receive the same wrong part back again.

I've also now found that 2 of my 5 ATTiny85s from RS are DOA and might need HV fusing... or are totally dead.  Not really worth returning at £1 each though.
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5194 on: January 19, 2018, 08:10:40 am »
Yesterday I got some LM2576T-5 G's from RS Components.  The order was for LM2576T-5 G, the stock number was for LM2576T-5 G, the antistatic bag the parts where in said LM2576T-5 G, but the components where small surface mount 3 pin devices that look like linear regulators and most definately not TO-220-5 devices.

Obviously I will return them, but as the anti-static bag has the correct stock number and part name, I'm worried I will just receive the same wrong part back again.

I've also now found that 2 of my 5 ATTiny85s from RS are DOA and might need HV fusing... or are totally dead.  Not really worth returning at £1 each though.
That doesn't sound much better than a generic Chinese source.

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5195 on: January 19, 2018, 08:19:07 am »
That doesn't sound much better than a generic Chinese source.

Well, the two LM2576's I got from a British seller, which are probably from China and not much cheaper behave awfully like linear regualtors.  Voltage drops from 5V to 4.45V when you pull 0.5amps through them.  When RS hopefully sort the order out I intend to straight swap the component and see what happens.

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5196 on: January 19, 2018, 09:50:28 am »
HP 214B vintage pulse/delay generator.    Vacuum tube output amp.  + or - output up to 100V into 50ohms.   Ext or int trigger.  Double pulse mode.  All in all a nice unit, just heavy and in need of some TLC.
Retired Pulsed Power Engineer/Physicist...now I just dabble in electronics

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5197 on: January 19, 2018, 03:03:20 pm »
I hit the mother lode at the thrift store today. Nearly 20 NES, SNES and Atari games for roughly $25. Some are in rough shape, but having daily drivers is more fun than prestine collector's items.

I'm debating going back for the Atari 2600 and two more games. Not as cheap as the rest, but it'd be a neat console to add to the collection, even though it's not part of my childhood like the rest. No TV connector or power, though.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5198 on: January 19, 2018, 08:38:27 pm »
I bought a bunch of Raaco Assorter boxes to store machine screws, nuts, washers and various sizes of lugs.

They are not terribly expensive and I couldn't find something similar on Aliexpress quickly.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5199 on: January 20, 2018, 03:05:51 am »
That is marginal even for the ultra-low cost.

For reference - I got 4" vises recently, they were over $1,000 USD each. Very good quality.
The ripoff version from China is about $250 through US distribution. Quality is marginal.

http://www.shars.com/products/toolholding-workholding/vise/4-440v-cnc-milling-machine-vise-0-0004-1

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf