Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2780560 times)

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #5400 on: February 02, 2018, 12:21:29 pm »
Bought a cheap 9710 Maynuo electronic load. Chose this one thinking I would just use a standard USB>Serial convertor... er, wrong! Why would they use a TTL level connection (with a DB9 connector that you could plug a null-modem cable into and blow it up) is beyond me. Oh well, even after buying the correct convertor cable it was still cheaper than the 9711 at the prices I can see. Oh, and the 'UK plug' was anything but.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5401 on: February 02, 2018, 12:45:13 pm »
These folks don't seem to be very sensible. I was bidding a more realistic price for a unreasonably expensive counter a while back and got shot down. A few weeks later they discounted the counter, but increased the shipping to an unrealistic number, basically ending up at the same price. I really don't like it when they try to pull the wool over your eyes that way. Since, the price of the counter has been steadily dropping, and after a few months it's now approaching what I initially offered for it.

I can't feel sorry for them. They wanted it all and ended up with nothing. As you say, it's generally old junk for top dollar anyway and their MO isn't how I like to do business.
The idiots are at it again. They relisted the counter at a discount, but the "original price" is suddenly higher than it actually was for months. Horrible business ethics.
Yep, but they do sell in the end and they have reasonable good feedback ratings, perhaps we should open an Ebay shop in France, seems to be plenty of people willing to be parted from their cash for items that we would consider worthy of boot sale or just binning over here.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5402 on: February 02, 2018, 02:54:18 pm »
Cubdriver, thanks, I've never had a Fluke before the 25 and always wondered what all the fuss was about. Having watched Dave tear one down and a few other YouTubers tear them down I was impressed with their apparent build quality so I decided to try one, that was a dangerous thing to do,  :palm: I became hooked on their ruggedness and they feel just like you have house brick in your hand you just know they will take whatever punishment you throw their way. They may be old and only have 4 digits and update twice a second, but thats adequate for my needs. I think that the MAX/MIN is a very useful feature for long time monitoring of power rails for instance along with the fact that unlike modern meters, they only switch off when you tell them to or the battery dies, perfect for those long time soak and measurement test.  :-+
The 87V has a power on option to disable auto power off. That's very useful. Min/max is a another useful feature indeed, just like the autohold feature. It seems the 27 has all of these features too. Even though the Fluke feature set is sparse compared to some of the competition, it seems quite well chosen.
But it’s not necessary to disable auto power off for min-max on the 87V, as I said already. Page 13 of the manual says:
Automatic Power-Off
The Meter automatically turns off if you do not turn the rotary switch or press a button for 30 minutes. If MIN MAX Recording is enabled, the Meter will not power off. To disable automatic power-off, refer to Table 4.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5403 on: February 02, 2018, 02:59:07 pm »
But it’s not necessary to disable auto power off for min-max on the 87V, as I said already. Page 13 of the manual says:
Automatic Power-Off
The Meter automatically turns off if you do not turn the rotary switch or press a button for 30 minutes. If MIN MAX Recording is enabled, the Meter will not power off. To disable automatic power-off, refer to Table 4.
I wasn't trying to detract from your comment, just noting that it's a power on option too :)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5404 on: February 02, 2018, 03:03:52 pm »
Bought a cheap 9710 Maynuo electronic load. Chose this one thinking I would just use a standard USB>Serial convertor... er, wrong! Why would they use a TTL level connection (with a DB9 connector that you could plug a null-modem cable into and blow it up) is beyond me. Oh well, even after buying the correct convertor cable it was still cheaper than the 9711 at the prices I can see. Oh, and the 'UK plug' was anything but.
As far as I understood, the Maynuo 9710 is meant for the internal Chinese market. Aren't you worried about its durability?

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #5405 on: February 02, 2018, 03:18:47 pm »
As far as I understood, the Maynuo 9710 is meant for the internal Chinese market. Aren't you worried about its durability?

Hm. I didn't know that - bought it in the UK not from China. I'll open it up and see if there are any obvious faults. It didn't explode when I powered it up...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5406 on: February 02, 2018, 03:40:56 pm »
Hm. I didn't know that - bought it in the UK not from China. I'll open it up and see if there are any obvious faults. It didn't explode when I powered it up...
According to someone who bought directly from Maynuo and was told this, the 9710 is built down to a price for the internal market. Due to not having to send the thing halfway back across the world, providing warranty isn't as much of a hassle as it would be for international customers. They can thereforetake more liberties with the components they pick.

Of course, that could just be a nice story to get westeners to pay more for the same device. I don't know. The story might help you if you end up running into trouble with the device.

I hope I didn't ruin the purchase too much  :-\ I don't doubt it's still a nice device to have.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:43:47 pm by Mr. Scram »

The following users thanked this post: ChrisLX200

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #5407 on: February 02, 2018, 05:40:42 pm »
According to someone who bought directly from Maynuo and was told this, the 9710 is built down to a price for the internal market. Due to not having to send the thing halfway back across the world, providing warranty isn't as much of a hassle as it would be for international customers. They can thereforetake more liberties with the components they pick.

Of course, that could just be a nice story to get westeners to pay more for the same device. I don't know. The story might help you if you end up running into trouble with the device.

I hope I didn't ruin the purchase too much  :-\ I don't doubt it's still a nice device to have.

Not too worried TBH, although I find it difficult to believe they would go to the trouble of having separate assembly lines. If specific for the China market a front panel in English seems a bit odd. Anyway, whilst not exactly a consumable it's not a huge financial investment.

I will make the checks as outlined in the post above - thanks Blueskull :)

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #5408 on: February 02, 2018, 08:03:37 pm »
Didn't like those big binding posts much (for general use, I know they're higher rated than most 4mm banana plugs), So I made an adapter out of 3mm copper plate. Can now use either 4mm banana plugs or the standard binding posts.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #5409 on: February 03, 2018, 05:08:53 am »
I purchased a Maynuo 9710 about a year ago.
Took it apart and checked all the usual safety suspects.
Nothing bad found and the build quality was pretty good I thought.
I have used it a fair bit and it has performed well.
As a precaution I never leave it unattended when loading more than a 10 watt test.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #5410 on: February 03, 2018, 05:17:26 am »
A number of members round here have been purchasing Andonstar digital microscopes lately.
My turn...
If I spend long work spells in front of my Olympus SD30 I get a sore back and neck from continuously leaning in to it.
I thought the video display style might eliminate some of that strain.
We shall see - I have a number of SMD boards to make up this weekend.
Frame rate is perfectly acceptable for soldering and there is plenty of space between the stand plate and the lens.
Apologies in advance for the closeup shot - it is of the actual LCD display.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 05:19:37 am by Mr.B »
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5411 on: February 03, 2018, 03:45:43 pm »
I got 5 of these little blighters, cheap enough so why not, only really need the one but who knows, 5v in to 1.5v will be used as part of a battery eliminator circuit in a Heathkit VTM.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5412 on: February 03, 2018, 03:52:10 pm »
I got 5 of these little blighters, cheap enough so why not, only really need the one but who knows, 5v in to 1.5v will be used as part of a battery eliminator circuit in a Heathkit VTM.

So that led is connected to 1.5V via a 1K resistor? Interesting...
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5413 on: February 03, 2018, 03:57:24 pm »
I would think its more likely fed from the in coming 5V
Who let Murphy in?

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5414 on: February 03, 2018, 04:08:44 pm »

Yes, but look at the PCB.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5415 on: February 03, 2018, 05:29:37 pm »

Yes, but look at the PCB.

1.5v=827nm, this board is for an IR camera to see it. It's designed for skynet.
I don't know about skynet, its being sold as a 5v step down to 1.5v adaptor which it seems to be doing as I'm 1.8v out open circuit but you could be right about the LED as I confirm it is not visible with the naked eye but neither can my phone camera which does detect infra red pulses from remote controls.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5416 on: February 03, 2018, 06:14:25 pm »
I don't know about skynet, its being sold as a 5v step down to 1.5v adaptor which it seems to be doing as I'm 1.8v out open circuit but you could be right about the LED as I confirm it is not visible with the naked eye but neither can my phone camera which does detect infra red pulses from remote controls.

My bet is it was designed as a general purpose board, and the LED was put in when they made trhe 5V to 3V3 version, which would light almost every LED at good enough brightness with 3V3 on the output.

Myself today got an AVO8 meter, in good working order, in the original Samsonite case, with the original leads, and one croc clip end and 2 pointy ended gripper tips. Actually tested it as working, and used it as well, though the probes were more used as a set of connecting leads in an impromptu bit of lamp testing.

Now will open it up to see if the batteries are in there and leaking.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #5417 on: February 03, 2018, 07:58:09 pm »
Swap meet day at the radio museum.  A pile-o-stuff that I need like a hole in my head.  I gave them $10 for the Atwater Kent battery eliminator, $5 for the Simpson signal generator and the Hickock and Motorola control panel were bound for the dumpster and will likely be parted out.  (I have another of the Hickocks at home awaiting restoration.)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #5418 on: February 03, 2018, 08:43:08 pm »
bought a quick 861dw hot air station at eleshop.nl .
as reviewed and advertised by Louis Rossmann...
so far very happy with it, this thing deserves its name : "quick" !

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5419 on: February 03, 2018, 09:20:50 pm »
Quick cleanup of the AVO and looked in the battery compartment. the 15v battery ( eveready) is not leaking, but did not check the actual voltage, will save it for later when checking the meter a little better, but it probably is reasonable on most ranges in any case, or about as good as most analogue meters of it's vintage. Case cleaned up nicely with some application of Teak oil, but I will need to restitch a corner a bit, and missing the carry strap. Low resistance ranges are done by the big D cell battery, and the one in there is a Duracell unit, made in USA Bethel CT, that had an expiry date of March 2004. Just started leaking a bit, the negative terminal is discoloured, and the battery contacts have a slight green blue film to be cleaned off them. Battery still works, 1.526V open circuit, and still capable of delivering over 4A into a test load. Going to it's new home now, and after it has been filed in the round file it will relocate to a nice final resting place.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #5420 on: February 03, 2018, 10:39:33 pm »
You bought it from the Netherlands? Aren't there any French shops?

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #5421 on: February 03, 2018, 11:43:53 pm »
Simpson eh? Ixxcellent.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5422 on: February 04, 2018, 01:23:48 am »
Didn't like those big binding posts much (for general use, I know they're higher rated than most 4mm banana plugs), So I made an adapter out of 3mm copper plate. Can now use either 4mm banana plugs or the standard binding posts.

Nice adapter, Chris. Dave showed a PCB-based adapter that someone made for that purpose. I like your solid copper plates quite a bit more! :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: ChrisLX200

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #5423 on: February 04, 2018, 07:15:51 am »
You bought it from the Netherlands? Aren't there any French shops?
the first result from google was eleshop.fr, which redirected me to eleshop.nl...
in fact it's eleshop.eu !
The french sellers don't seems to like recent devices, they only sell well known brands like weller or jbc or velleman.
I could also buy it from Louis directly, but the hassle of taxes and duties made me run away from this solution...

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5424 on: February 04, 2018, 11:39:11 am »

I bought a Maynuo 9710 about a year ago. I've compared it to a 9711 from a friend and they are identical. We could find no difference in the soldering quality, parts used or performance. I have used it extensively over the year because I had several PSU / DC/DC converter projects and it has served me very well. I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money for a 9711.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf