Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2795565 times)

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #5500 on: February 15, 2018, 07:49:46 am »
  :-DD :-DD

Well anyway...
Today I ordered a parts for a bunch of pieces of gear... such as the 2901 time mark generator, 465, 454A, two 485 scopes...

Oh, and I should be getting my first 475A scope tomorrow!!!

Maybe I have GAS..  :-DD

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5501 on: February 15, 2018, 07:51:59 am »
Maybe just a little. :-DD It's all good, mate. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5502 on: February 15, 2018, 08:07:09 am »
  :-DD :-DD

Well anyway...
Today I ordered a parts for a bunch of pieces of gear... such as the 2901 time mark generator, 465, 454A, two 485 scopes...

Oh, and I should be getting my first 475A scope tomorrow!!!

Maybe I have GAS..  :-DD

Ahhh....the 485...one of my fav portable scopes from the Analog days....Until I saw a 2467 that is....
Retired Pulsed Power Engineer/Physicist...now I just dabble in electronics

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5503 on: February 15, 2018, 02:23:32 pm »
Watch your language Tedro !

I'm sure it is some sort of joke I failed miserably to understand.

If it was a joke, blueskull, I missed it also.  Don't feel bad.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #5504 on: February 15, 2018, 03:18:53 pm »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5505 on: February 15, 2018, 04:09:59 pm »
Double shipping fun with Hermes and DPD..   :--

Hermes: Delivery on the last mile for an international packet from the US:
The driver has marked the packet is delivered to me (not a neighbour!) at a date/time neither me nor my wife were at home.   :wtf:
The packet is missing.
I'm waiting for Hermes replying to my service request since two days now.

DPD: The same. Delivered to me (marked as: identity cleared(!)) when no one was at home and no packet.

One day later DPD happened to successfully deliver a packet to a neighbour of mine.   :clap:

It's so annoying waiting for Test Equipment to be shipped and even more annoying when it doesn't show up.  :'(

So you'll have to wait for new messages about things I bought 'til they hopefully show up..
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5506 on: February 15, 2018, 04:59:58 pm »

Ahhh....the 485...one of my fav portable scopes from the Analog days....Until I saw a 2467 that is....

I'm still waiting to get my hands on a 2467B... I've heard a lot of people raving about them but I've never gotten to tinker with one just yet..
For now I'm just using the resources Tek provided and the hands on troubleshooting as a major learning aid.  I'm the hands on type, it's exponentially harder for me to learn something if I can't immediately implement my new found knowledge, so troubleshooting old gear it is!!!   400 series scopes and their recommended cal gear are fantastic for that purpose for me.  Of course I make sure I do a nice, clean, and of course thorough jerb....  this ain't no redneck repair shop over myahh!!!  :o

Offline KrudyZ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5507 on: February 15, 2018, 05:20:41 pm »

I'm still waiting to get my hands on a 2467B... I've heard a lot of people raving about them but I've never gotten to tinker with one just yet..
For now I'm just using the resources Tek provided and the hands on troubleshooting as a major learning aid.  I'm the hands on type, it's exponentially harder for me to learn something if I can't immediately implement my new found knowledge, so troubleshooting old gear it is!!!   400 series scopes and their recommended cal gear are fantastic for that purpose for me.  Of course I make sure I do a nice, clean, and of course thorough jerb....  this ain't no redneck repair shop over myahh!!!  :o

Have you looked at the Tektronix 11302?
This was the last hurrah of analog scopes and outperforms the 2467B on several fronts.
It has the bright-eye screen like the 2467B, but takes plug-ins.
The frequency counter that is integrated is reason enough to keep it around as it shows on the waveform what is actually being counted.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5508 on: February 15, 2018, 08:25:59 pm »

The driver has marked the packet is delivered to me (not a neighbour!) at a date/time neither me nor my wife were at home.   :wtf:
The packet is missing.

DPD: The same. Delivered to me (marked as: identity cleared(!)) when no one was at home and no packet.

One day later DPD happened to successfully deliver a packet to a neighbour of mine.   :clap:

It's so annoying waiting for Test Equipment to be shipped and even more annoying when it doesn't show up.  :'(

So you'll have to wait for new messages about things I bought 'til they hopefully show up..

In Germany it has got to a stage where DHL is the only half trustable delivery service. GLS have failed to deliver the last 14 parcels to me (over 24 months)! Always claiming "we called but you weren't home" - No notification left at the address... The delivery address is an office with 700+ employees and the delivery dates were normal weekdays! DPD failed on the last 2 parcels, sending them back without bringing them to a pickup point. Hermes is kind of ok, but manage to not deliver occassionaly. It's got to the situation, that I will not order from ebay sellers that use GLS or DPD.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #5509 on: February 15, 2018, 08:40:37 pm »

The packet is missing.

In Germany it has got to a stage where DHL is the only half trustable delivery service. GLS have failed to deliver the last 14 parcels to me (over 24 months)! Always claiming "we called but you weren't home" - No notification left at the address... The delivery address is an office with 700+ employees and the delivery dates were normal weekdays! DPD failed on the last 2 parcels, sending them back without bringing them to a pickup point. Hermes is kind of ok, but manage to not deliver occassionaly. It's got to the situation, that I will not order from ebay sellers that use GLS or DPD.

McBryce.

How the hell do places like that stay in business?!?  That sounds like unbelievably atrocious service.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5510 on: February 15, 2018, 09:03:06 pm »

The packet is missing.

McBryce.

How the hell do places like that stay in business?!?  That sounds like unbelievably atrocious service.

-Pat
Sadly that happens very often here in the UK.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5511 on: February 16, 2018, 01:27:29 am »
Retractable 4.5m, Cat 6 cable assembly.
Retrieved from recycling... network connector was dangling off, re-terminated and all good. Nice metal Molex connector that was a breeze to re-terminate.

Destined for the workbench... if I can find a spot to mount it.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5512 on: February 16, 2018, 01:45:30 am »
Nice find (and save).  :)

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5513 on: February 16, 2018, 05:03:22 am »
Some RF attenuators and a DC block...which lol...is rated from DC to 6Ghz.   You'd think it would block DC and low frequencies right!   Attenuators are all 20dB, 50W, 10W and 5W.  It's on my To Do list to eventually post spectrum analyzer data on a variety of attenuators, both US bought and Ebay sourced.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5514 on: February 16, 2018, 07:29:43 am »

The packet is missing.

McBryce.

In my opinion that's only because they're cheap enough and for the companies shipping with these this might cost less than sending with DHL or UPS (quite reliable from my experience) overall.
But only if you do not take customer satisfaction into account.   :(
I'm quite pissed off with Hermes but I have no choice when I'm ordering something from ebay that's shipped by ebay over Erlanger, US.  :palm:
And as we found out in the TEA-Thread: The US have a very big and tempting market for used Test Equipment in comparison to Europe or Australia/New Zealand.  |O

Edit: Cleaned up typos..
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:34:38 am by URI »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5515 on: February 16, 2018, 07:32:58 am »
Some RF attenuators and a DC block...which lol...is rated from DC to 6Ghz.   You'd think it would block DC and low frequencies right!   Attenuators are all 20dB, 50W, 10W and 5W.  It's on my To Do list to eventually post spectrum analyzer data on a variety of attenuators, both US bought and Ebay sourced.

So it blocks DC yet it also passes the DC? lol
I've recently been testing my various cables on a VNA to see how they perform to 6 GHz. I can say none are metrology grade...
VE7FM

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5516 on: February 16, 2018, 07:41:37 am »

-Pat

By making contracts with the postal services of other countries. So if someone sends me something from the UK with Royal Mail, GLS have a contract to lose it once it gets to Germany. In the case of GLS, I've complained every time, I've been told that the driver was on his last warning, that the driver would be disciplined, etc etc. I even set up a CCTV camera to see if the van even passed the house (it didn't), yet they claimed that he tried to deliver it and we weren't home and no notification was left.

Useless wasters.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #5517 on: February 16, 2018, 07:53:08 am »

-Pat

By making contracts with the postal services of other countries. So if someone sends me something from the UK with Royal Mail, GLS have a contract to lose it once it gets to Germany. In the case of GLS, I've complained every time, I've been told that the driver was on his last warning, that the driver would be disciplined, etc etc. I even set up a CCTV camera to see if the van even passed the house (it didn't), yet they claimed that he tried to deliver it and we weren't home and no notification was left.

Useless wasters.

McBryce.

Damn.  I'll never bitch about UPS SmartPost or FedEx SurePost again - they may take an extra day or three, but it typically gets here.  DHL is the one I dread here in the US - at a past job they used to routinely deliver our packages to a different company with a different name at a different address (about a mile up and across the road from our facility) and I'd have to go retrieve them.  Some Amazon sellers use them for books; my 'Art of Electronics' took about a month to get to me in CT from Chicago, which is about halfway across the country.  I suspect that they taped it to the back of a tortoise to make the trek.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5518 on: February 16, 2018, 10:31:10 am »

-Pat

Useless wasters.

McBryce.

Damn.  I'll never bitch about UPS SmartPost or FedEx SurePost again - they may take an extra day or three, but it typically gets here.  DHL is the one I dread here in the US - at a past job they used to routinely deliver our packages to a different company with a different name at a different address (about a mile up and across the road from our facility) and I'd have to go retrieve them.  Some Amazon sellers use them for books; my 'Art of Electronics' took about a month to get to me in CT from Chicago, which is about halfway across the country.  I suspect that they taped it to the back of a tortoise to make the trek.

-Pat

Here in the Philippines they don't even attempt to deliver.   All packages are held at the main city post office where you have to collect them.  You might get a postcard or text message if they are feeling like it... telling you to come pick up your package.  Usually I don't get one...I just come every week and check. 
If you don't manage to pick it up within a month, it can be destroyed if they want.   Oh...and you have to pay the equivalent of about 1 Euro for each package, no matter what size on top of whatever postage was originally paid.   If you package is worth more than about $200US you have to pay duty as well...15% usually but can be more.  For some cheap Ebay items this doubles the cost.   
Add to all of this transportation cost of a trip into the worst traffic part of town.   Fed Ex on the other hand here is excellent, just expensive.   You have to pay an extra $11US for each box on top of what the shipper originally paid, plus duty of applicable.   That why we call it the Fee-lippines.   

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5519 on: February 16, 2018, 02:25:57 pm »

-Pat

That is very likely another reason if not the main reason.  :rant:

DPD is solved now: A neighbour handed the package to me because he found it in his post box. It was a padded letter.
Roughly 40 minutes later a DPD-driver rang at my door to find out about my complaint personally.
He was apparently glad I could give him notice that I had received the package short before, finally.
When I signed his notice that I had received the package I checked the archived signature that was left when the package was delivered originally: It was a unreadable scratch of two or three characters and clearly not my signature.   :wtf:  :--

Ok, that's what DPD should have delivered correctly:

A 0,5m N-connector (m) to BNC (m) low loss Highflexx 7 cable.
My HP 437B measures -0,03dBm@50MHz: within/slightly better than the specs.   :-+
Downside: The seller is a smoker. It stinks. Even IPA was not enough to wash the smell off.  :palm:

Hermes: No reaction to my complaint besides the ticket notification since Wednesday. Oh boy..

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
PCN shunt resistors
« Reply #5520 on: February 16, 2018, 03:59:31 pm »
Few used low resistance shunt resistors dismantled from a big factory machines, made by PCN Corporation, Japan. Just heard this company, is it reputable ?

One 1K Ohm (30 Watt), two 10 miliOhm (30 Watt) and two 1 miliOhm (bigger ones 50 Watt), with 0.1% tolerance and TCR of 30 to 50 ppm/K. (PDF Spec). All have the extra sense wires with teflon coating.

Put a TO-220 body for size comparison, biggest resistors in physical I have, an impulse purchase cause they have nice 1K, 0.01 and 0.001 numbers.  :palm:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:01:40 pm by BravoV »

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5521 on: February 16, 2018, 04:03:33 pm »
An Advantest R3131A for $580 shipped. It fails the autocal but the rest seems to be working.
My first spectrum analyzer!
I recognize the ebay seller form the picture you are posting. Packaging should be very good (no worries).  :D

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: PCN shunt resistors
« Reply #5522 on: February 16, 2018, 10:51:15 pm »
Few used low resistance shunt resistors dismantled from a big factory machines, made by PCN Corporation, Japan. Just heard this company, is it reputable ?

One 1K Ohm (30 Watt), two 10 miliOhm (30 Watt) and two 1 miliOhm (bigger ones 50 Watt), with 0.1% tolerance and TCR of 30 to 50 ppm/K. (PDF Spec). All have the extra sense wires with teflon coating.

Put a TO-220 body for size comparison, biggest resistors in physical I have, an impulse purchase cause they have nice 1K, 0.01 and 0.001 numbers.  :palm:

That is massive for 30W, the ali "100W" resistors I bought look to be about 1/4 of that size. Wonder why they didn't just run the sense wires out one side though, maybe it would get too hot in the middle.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #5523 on: February 17, 2018, 08:22:38 am »
That is massive for 30W, the ali "100W" resistors I bought look to be about 1/4 of that size.

Yep, was shocked when the 1st time I hold them, as I bought online and the seller didn't provide the size as a clue. On weight, the big one is almost 1 Kg (900 gr). Have to admit by quick glance, they look like those crude dummy load resistor.

Actually the TCR are specified max out only at 100 C, which is way-way too low compared to ordinary big wattage dummy resistor which sometimes can withstand way higher temp.

The biggest one, in the datasheet, its specified max wattage on free air without mounted to heat sink chassis is only rated for 20 Watt.  ::)

Another photo attached below for a clue compared to TO220 on how huge this things are.  ???

Wonder why they didn't just run the sense wires out one side though, maybe it would get too hot in the middle.

You're probably right, maybe for maintaining the TCR at 30 ppm/K too I guess.

Just kidding, may be because of Japanese love perfection so much, that the two Kelvin sensing wires must be "symmetrically" installed too.  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:02:10 am by BravoV »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5524 on: February 17, 2018, 09:07:18 am »
That is massive for 30W, the ali "100W" resistors I bought look to be about 1/4 of that size. Wonder why they didn't just run the sense wires out one side though, maybe it would get too hot in the middle.
To keep temp rise down - big thermal mass, increased surface/heatsink contact area.

Or just for current carrying capacity - 1milliohm at 50 W = 223A

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf