Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 1371638 times)

Free_WiFi and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6875 on: June 15, 2018, 12:34:53 pm »
Where on earth did you see that picture with the buzzard GreyWoolfe? Kinda spooky!

Many moons ago.  As rdl said, back in high school in the early 70's.  That makes me an official graybeard.  I even get old folks discounts at restaurants. ;D  Maybe it is time for a graybeard emoji.

LOL I have the same tattoo surrounded with those exact words on the top of my right arm! How spooky is that?  :wtf:
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6876 on: June 15, 2018, 03:03:27 pm »
I used to have one of those Rat Shack equalizers back in the 80s.  Eventually it lost a channel, and while I poked and prodded at it a bit, I never really dug into it, and it eventually got tossed during a cleaning binge.  Shame I didn't keep it; I'd certainly be able to fix it these days.

I bought mine used sometime around 1990 for $20 from a guy that worked in the local video rental shop. I have to confess, I've never used it as an equalizer. I just connect to the inputs so I can have the bouncing light display.

I've thrown away lots of stuff I probably should have kept, but since I live in an apartment there's limits because of available space. Even now I have two big A/V receivers from the 80s and at least two DVD players out in the balcony closet. How they have survived the last few clean outs I have no idea.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Super Contributor
  • NW0LF
« Reply #6877 on: June 15, 2018, 06:16:10 pm »
Where on earth did you see that picture with the buzzard GreyWoolfe? Kinda spooky!

Many moons ago.  As rdl said, back in high school in the early 70's.  That makes me an official graybeard.  I even get old folks discounts at restaurants. ;D  Maybe it is time for a graybeard emoji.

LOL I have the same tattoo surrounded with those exact words on the top of my right arm! How spooky is that?  :wtf:

To go along with my namesake, I have a pair of Canis Lupus tattooed on my chest with the word devotion under them for Mrs GreyWoolfe and I. ;D
I am of the age that my brain no longer says "maybe I shouldn't say that" but "what the heck, let's see what happens"

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6878 on: June 15, 2018, 06:43:56 pm »
I just received a brand new, still sealed, Analog devices AD5392 eval board for a tenner plu shipping. It's a 8/16 channel 14-bit DAC which will come in handy. It's a replacement for what the seller couldn't find, the AD7796 16-bit delta-sigma ADC for bridges and sensors (123 Hz max update rate) which would have been more immediately useful. Oh well.

Offline lordvader88

• Frequent Contributor
  • Banned!
« Reply #6879 on: June 15, 2018, 06:47:33 pm »
20A 2000W AUTOTRANSFORMER

I put that off a while, but at least it's (shipped)from Canada so it will be here next week

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6880 on: June 15, 2018, 07:35:03 pm »

To go along with my namesake, I have a pair of Canis Lupus tattooed on my chest with the word devotion under them for Mrs GreyWoolfe and I. ;D

:-DD
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6881 on: June 15, 2018, 08:06:48 pm »
One of these First Aid kits showed up today. Always need to be prepared and I had nothing but a box of band-aids with all the good sizes used up. On sale only $15:

https://www.amazon.com/First-Aid-Only-All-purpose-299-Piece/dp/B074VGZ7SS/

Of course, I had to add a couple more items for free shipping. This was one of them (also on sale):

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-6492-Original-Instant-Read-Thermometer/dp/B009IH0BZ0/

The other was a pair of socks.

Offline JaspaJami

• Contributor
    • Susijarvi
« Reply #6882 on: June 15, 2018, 08:41:18 pm »
Curious, where did you get that handwoven rag mat that's underneath that stack ?

I don't really remember. I know I got it around 1994-95, so it was probably Target. That was where I usually shopped back then.
Thanks.
I asked 'cause it's very similar to what my parents made for tourists when we did farm tours back in 80's and we had a handcraft shop to help further relieve them of some $.  :)
In finland you can find this kind of rag mats from allmost all the houses. i think we have maybe 10-15 of those (we also have that wood thing that you use for making those). Really traditional at Finland.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6883 on: June 15, 2018, 08:54:55 pm »
Curious, where did you get that handwoven rag mat that's underneath that stack ?

I don't really remember. I know I got it around 1994-95, so it was probably Target. That was where I usually shopped back then.
Thanks.
I asked 'cause it's very similar to what my parents made for tourists when we did farm tours back in 80's and we had a handcraft shop to help further relieve them of some $.  :)
In finland you can find this kind of rag mats from allmost all the houses. i think we have maybe 10-15 of those (we also have that wood thing that you use for making those). Really traditional at Finland.
Yeah my Ma was right into handcrafts and had a couple of weaving looms on which she made all sorts of mats, rugs and cloth. Rag mats had string warp and are very tough wearing. I have no idea where she got her inspiration from to start making them.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #6884 on: June 15, 2018, 11:03:28 pm »
20A 2000W AUTOTRANSFORMER

That's a whopper! The inrush on it must be exciting.
I TEA.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6885 on: June 15, 2018, 11:09:54 pm »
I brought a USB hard drive caddy to house the 2TB drive I extracted a Sky + box which I had intended to use as in internal drive but Windows 10 does not like there but I works perfectly as a USB drive, so thats what's it going to be once the caddy arrives.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6886 on: June 16, 2018, 12:22:40 am »
New gummies/wellies a couple of days back at our NZ National Ag field days.
https://fieldays.co.nz/

A member or two that visit from time to time will know why.........man it's wet and muddy here.  >:(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #6887 on: June 16, 2018, 01:32:26 am »
Oh, I just figured you were playing with high voltages. ;D
I TEA.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6888 on: June 16, 2018, 12:38:08 pm »

A member or two that visit from time to time will know why.........man it's wet and muddy here.  >:(

No No I won't make Sheep, Velcro glove and Gumboot NZ jokes  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order :)

Offline ggchab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6889 on: June 16, 2018, 06:05:28 pm »
Scanaquad from Ikalogic.
I replaced the original cables by silicon wires and Hantek hooks

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6890 on: June 17, 2018, 07:51:59 am »

No No I won't make Sheep, Velcro glove and Gumboot NZ jokes  :-DD
:P
I thought you Aussies invented Velcro gloves and I've never known why.  :box:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline DC1MC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6891 on: June 19, 2018, 06:30:04 am »
Two expensive Fischer connectors for my Solartron 7071  8), looking nice but definitely not "Fischer price" (thanks Andreas).
Now waiting the WE to start fiddling with them.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6892 on: June 19, 2018, 06:49:32 am »

:P
I thought you Aussies invented Velcro gloves and I've never known why.  :box:

We invented the Ugg Boot - wearing mine now  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order :)

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #6893 on: June 19, 2018, 11:51:11 am »
A Tytera DM-380 DMR handheld transceiver for some mucking around with DMR (Digital Mobile Radio) - Amateur radio stuff - have a SharkRF openSpot UHF to ethernet 'dongle', with a bit of luck (and a  Wifi - ethernet gizmo) - should be able to get it to get my Tyt MD380 to link "UHF-Ethernet- WiFI - 4G - Internet" to other Amateur radio DMR 'reflectors'. There are several hundred I believe - ONCE I get it all lined up.  :scared:
Have managed so far to get the HH transceiver to talk to my computer - you need to do this to start to program some of the 1000 channels.
Some good resources on HamRadioWorkbench podcast and Adafruit to name a few - Thanks. :-+
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6894 on: June 19, 2018, 04:22:23 pm »
The Minimus 7 speakers just weren't doing the job with the NAD amp. They have their place, but as main speakers the bass is lacking. After a little looking around I ran across these Dayton Audio B652 speakers. I ordered a pair and they arrived this morning. I wasn't expecting too much, but all things considered, they are pretty impressive. I can honestly say they are the best $30 pair of speakers I've ever heard. I'd be happy at 4 times the price.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652

(sorry for the blurry photo)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6895 on: June 19, 2018, 04:27:31 pm »
The Minimus 7 speakers just weren't doing the job with the NAD amp. They have their place, but as main speakers the bass is lacking. After a little looking around I ran across these Dayton Audio B652 speakers. I ordered a pair and they arrived this morning. I wasn't expecting too much, but all things considered, they are pretty impressive. I can honestly say they are the best $30 pair of speakers I've ever heard. I'd be happy at 4 times the price.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652

At 70Hz, thats still not much in the way of bass is it, so what was you using before for these to be sounding so much better?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6896 on: June 19, 2018, 04:39:42 pm »
At 70Hz, thats still not much in the way of bass is it, so what was you using before for these to be sounding so much better?

Minimus 7 speakers from Radio Shack. The difference comes mostly from 6.5 inch vs. 4 inch "woofers". Believe me, there's a world of difference. If 70Hz is the spec on the Dayton speakers, then they are definitely not overstating the speakers performance.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6897 on: June 19, 2018, 04:44:43 pm »

Minimus 7 speakers from Radio Shack. The difference comes mostly from 6.5 inch vs. 4 inch "woofers". Believe me, there's a world of difference. If 70Hz is the spec on the Dayton speakers, then they are definitely not overstating the speakers performance.
Yes, that increase in driver size would make it sound much better, spec and manual is attached.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6898 on: June 19, 2018, 09:04:50 pm »
Got a Hameg 203-6 in a nice wooden crate, including manual. It shows a single nice and bright trace but hasn't yet reacted to any input.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Super Contributor
  • NW0LF
« Reply #6899 on: June 19, 2018, 09:52:21 pm »

I have a set of the Minimus 7's for over 20 years and love them.  This, however, is certainly tempting enough just for the price itself.  Hard to believe that they are $30 USD for a pair with $7 shipping.
I am of the age that my brain no longer says "maybe I shouldn't say that" but "what the heck, let's see what happens"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf