Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2743162 times)

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #7000 on: August 21, 2018, 04:32:06 pm »
Found another toy in Akihabara.

Will be handy for testing audio amps after a little TLC. Works well after I replaced the fuse. :D
Looks like it has an ovenised crystal (is that what it's called?) or something, there's a little styrofoam block on something in what looked to be an oscillator section when I took a quick peek inside.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7001 on: August 22, 2018, 02:38:18 am »
You are so going to make me go over there! I haven't been to Akihabara for many years. Now, I have lots of incentive. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7002 on: August 22, 2018, 07:55:29 am »
You are so going to make me go over there! I haven't been to Akihabara for many years. Now, I have lots of incentive. ;D

Then you'll probably be very disappointed. Akihabara today is a far cry from the Akihabara of the past. Much of what made Akihabara great is now gone.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7003 on: August 22, 2018, 09:54:17 am »
There is still a lot if you know where to look. :)
You want to head a street or two back from the main road, heading away from the electric town exit from Akihabara station..

I recently found two nixie tube based frequency counters. I'll post pics once they are all reassembled from their restorations.

[edit] Another recent acquisition, yet again from Akihabara. I think I might eventually make a clock, or even grab some tubes and see if I can display video, old school style.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:59:08 am by TERRA Operative »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7004 on: August 22, 2018, 10:32:34 am »
Last time I was there I browsed Keisokuki-Land which is quite close to the station, across the main street and heading for the river. Good shop to browse, but no drop-dead bargains. I'm also limited to what I can fit in my case on the way home. There are a few smaller "junk component" shops around that area too, but the sprawling "component fruit markets" of the past all seem to have disappeared.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7005 on: August 22, 2018, 11:51:16 am »
well, damn.... look what showed up today!
it's not often that a package for what I bought is bigger than me.

I'm going to need a bigger office.

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7006 on: August 22, 2018, 02:49:32 pm »
Looks like christmas came early. :)

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7007 on: August 22, 2018, 02:59:03 pm »
The story behind this is that it belonged to a friend of a friend, and I always wanted one from the moment I saw it,
and today I got the exact same unit from him.

The best part is it’s practically worthless! :D

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7008 on: August 22, 2018, 08:15:13 pm »
Depending on how much storage you have available, you might be able to get Open Street Maps onto it.

https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/22672/reviving-ancient-garmin-streetpilot-iii-with-osm-possible

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7009 on: August 23, 2018, 12:52:37 am »
I really can't resist such beautiful New Old Stock... Especially on the cheap. Simpson 294.

(Photos are credit of the original seller)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 02:36:32 am by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Bud

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7010 on: August 23, 2018, 01:40:58 am »
Nice ^.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7011 on: August 23, 2018, 02:40:36 am »
Depending on how much storage you have available, you might be able to get Open Street Maps onto it.

https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/22672/reviving-ancient-garmin-streetpilot-iii-with-osm-possible

It has detail maps from 2007, so my street doesn’t exist :D
But I have used Garmin’s MapSource program with their hiking GPS units, and should be able to get it together.
The open maps usually don’t have routing info, so the unit wouldn’t speak.
I was able, at the time, to load open source maps into MapSource so that both could be loaded o the unit, which I’d love to try with a topographic map.

It’s a serial port, and a data card (prior to SD cards), so I’ll have to rig a makeshift serial cable.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7012 on: August 23, 2018, 04:12:51 pm »
I bought a dead LeCroy 9384L digital scope.  4 channels, 1 GHz, up to 4 GS/s.  Totally dead.  Am I crazy?  Do I enjoy throwing away money?  Do I have nothing better to do with my time than waste it on trying to fix something that's way above my pay grade?

Wait.................... what? .................... seriously? ..................... damn! .........Ha!  Knew it all along!  8)

The problem turned out to be a trivial issue with a power supply connector that had overheated and wasn't making good contact.

Ed

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7013 on: August 23, 2018, 04:37:08 pm »
I bought a dead LeCroy 9384L digital scope.  4 channels, 1 GHz, up to 4 GS/s.  Totally dead.  Am I crazy?  Do I enjoy throwing away money?  Do I have nothing better to do with my time than waste it on trying to fix something that's way above my pay grade?

Wait.................... what? .................... seriously? ..................... damn! .........Ha!  Knew it all along!  8)

The problem turned out to be a trivial issue with a power supply connector that had overheated and wasn't making good contact.

Ed
Nice catch, its always lovely when it turns out to be something simple like that.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #7014 on: August 23, 2018, 09:46:15 pm »
Good Deal!!
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7015 on: August 23, 2018, 11:17:57 pm »
well, damn.... look what showed up today!
it's not often that a package for what I bought is bigger than me.
I'm going to need a bigger office.
That's very  8)
Might be interested myself.
Did you buy it new or 2nd hand , ballpark figure if you want to share that is, or did you discuss this some other topic before?

The following users thanked this post: julianhigginson

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7016 on: August 24, 2018, 01:23:57 am »

Wow, nice score! Congrats on the easy fix.

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7017 on: August 24, 2018, 01:31:38 am »

Ed

:-+ :clap:
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7018 on: August 24, 2018, 04:25:32 am »
Nice catch, its always lovely when it turns out to be something simple like that.

Yeah, at first I didn't believe my luck.  Now I have to figure out how to use the beast.  I've already got a new fan on order to replace the existing howler.  Same size, same CFM, half the RPM, 10 dB lower noise, half the power.  I'll believe it when I see it!

Ed

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7019 on: August 24, 2018, 05:29:01 am »
I've got from  >:Dbay an Agilent 6000 series oscilloscope calibration kit for ca. 9EUR but I wasn't sure that it works, so I've also got an Agilent MSO 6054A to test it  :P.
The poor scope was never calibrated or updated, the last (and probably the first) calibration was performed in July 2005  :palm:, now after the kit did its magic (observe the pictures), the scope is freshly calibrated   ^-^.
A bit pricey the calibration kit testing device, but now I can recommend it, it works  8) !!!

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #7020 on: August 24, 2018, 05:36:19 am »
I've got from  >:Dbay an Agilent 6000 series oscilloscope calibration kit for ca. 9EUR but I wasn't sure that it works, so I've also got an Agilent MSO 6054A to test it  :P.

Did you also get a new flat, to store all the stuff ;)
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7021 on: August 24, 2018, 05:56:14 am »

Did you also get a new flat, to store all the stuff ;)

Next on the list  :-DD

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7022 on: August 24, 2018, 09:56:13 am »

That's very  8)
Might be interested myself.
Did you buy it new or 2nd hand , ballpark figure if you want to share that is, or did you discuss this some other topic before?

it was 2nd hand. 
the factory test/packing sheet that it came with says 1998! so, it's 20 years old.

It came from a company that had been using it to do their own electronics manufacturing, but offshored recently.
one of the two parts platters it came with still had components in it from the work they last used it for!

There are still companies selling new versions of it (or at least still list them in their catalogue)
https://www.fritsch-smt.de/en/manual-pick-place/
http://dimasmt.com/complete-system/
the fritsch one looks ridiculously similar to my 20 year old unit.

The following users thanked this post: Kjelt

Offline TheDeuceII

• Compliance Software Architect and Data Shepherd
« Reply #7023 on: August 25, 2018, 12:49:52 pm »
Greetings, I’m relatively new here, but Ive been an avid follower/lurker of the Channel and the forum... Guess this thread gets to pop my post-cherry

I just happened upon this thread, the morning after I made my FIRST scope purchase. Never had a fair/decent/reasonably-fully-functional one before. I currently have use a Sainsmart DDS120 and it’s pretty awful. Recently started a project and found out I need gooder one. Scoped (no pun intended) out the GW Instek 1000-series, the Tek 1000 series, and the highly regarded Rigol 1000-series. And alas, I decided on the Rigol DS1054Z— too bad it won’t ship until Monday. For now let’s settle for the invoice, shall we  8)

Also decided to finally upgrade the insulated-with-cheap-ass-pvc test leads that Came with my Fluke 179 DMM. Hooray for silicone, hooray for buying genuine!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 01:36:33 pm by TheDeuceII »

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #7024 on: August 25, 2018, 02:20:28 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf