Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2743050 times)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #7025 on: August 25, 2018, 02:32:21 pm »
There are still companies selling new versions of it (or at least still list them in their catalogue)
the fritsch one looks ridiculously similar to my 20 year old unit.
Yes I know but it is ridiculously priced either  :)
For that money I build my own semi manual P&P, a project I hope to start after my CNC machine is finished.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7026 on: August 25, 2018, 02:41:40 pm »
I just pulled the trigger on this HP3468A bench/portable meter and recently I purchased this Fluke 8840A which arrived this week and I'm very happy with it, despite being 30 years it is still within calibration and good condition throughout. I'm hoping that the 3468A will be the same and will compliment my 3478A nicely.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7027 on: August 25, 2018, 02:50:10 pm »

Can you tell more about why you picked this model?

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #7028 on: August 25, 2018, 05:19:41 pm »

Quote from: Mr. Scram on Today at 16:50:10
Can you tell more about why you picked this model?

AC and DC TIG, enough amps, and 9 presets available to store your settings for different metals.
watched some videos on youtube from guys explaining it was a good device. (most of them in german ...)
I did not want a plasma cutter with it because plasma is with compressed air, and TIG is with argon
so you have to switch the gas each time you go from cut to TIG. I will buy a separate plasma cutter (and a MIG may be) later.
and the price was quite nice 700 EUR with a foot pedal, less 100 EUR of ebay gift, total 600 EUR.

https://www.ipotechnik.de/ntf-ac-dc-super-tig-200di

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:24:43 pm by kripton2035 »

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7029 on: August 26, 2018, 06:16:45 am »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #7030 on: August 26, 2018, 06:51:42 am »
I think they are made by many brands, yes.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7031 on: August 27, 2018, 07:48:56 am »
Picked up some more silicone wire for DIY leads and probes.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7032 on: August 27, 2018, 10:02:38 am »

I have that, too, it’s great!! Plus the same from Mueller — it’s even softer (but also several times more expensive due to the much finer stranding).

I’m curious, when you get around to opening it, whether you find the two colors to be equally soft. I remember that with mine, one color is a tad softer than the other, though I don’t remember which is which at the moment.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7033 on: August 27, 2018, 12:36:49 pm »
I have that, too, it’s great!! Plus the same from Mueller — it’s even softer (but also several times more expensive due to the much finer stranding).

I’m curious, when you get around to opening it, whether you find the two colors to be equally soft. I remember that with mine, one color is a tad softer than the other, though I don’t remember which is which at the moment.
Both seem equal to me. Perhaps an age difference in the stock you received?  :-//

As per Mueller's wire (413 strands), it's close to what Probemaster is using (440 strands).  :-+ And all of my Probemaster leads I've purchased are notably more flexible than the Pomona 6733. ;D

Mouser is selling the 18AWG Mueller wire by the foot (1 - 99ft @ $1.38 per) instead of either 10ft or 25ft lengths, so I may have to break down and pick some up. For HV/industrial use though, the inner white layer of the Pomona 6733 would certainly be useful IMHO to let the user know if the wire is no longer meeting spec.

Offline Groucho2005

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7034 on: August 27, 2018, 04:17:18 pm »

First attempt with the telescope:

The following users thanked this post: aargee

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #7035 on: August 27, 2018, 04:28:46 pm »
Nice telescope. What model is it and that mount do you use? And how did you photograph the moon? Once I tried the moon with my Canon EOS 6D, but just a telephoto lens and a tripod, which was sufficient, but for longer exposure time I guess I need a motor powered mount, aligned to the polar star.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QWyhRqupsNcSJqQc6
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Groucho2005

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7036 on: August 27, 2018, 04:53:03 pm »
Nice telescope. What model is it and that mount do you use? And how did you photograph the moon?
Telescope: Bresser Messier MC-100/1400 OTA
Tripod: Rollei C5i photo tripod
Camera: Nikon D5300, prime focus
Software used: AutoStakkert, Registax

I recorded a 1 minute clip @1080p, 50fps and stacked ~400 frames.

Here's the full image, it seems the forum software resizes:
https://4.img-dpreview.com/files/p/E~forums/61561676/d0f0647febf446a0b9be9ad819d02302
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:58:11 pm by Groucho2005 »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #7037 on: August 27, 2018, 07:49:23 pm »
Stacking sounds like a good idea. Does the camera do it? I guess I don't need a motorized mount, if I stack images, if the software can align them.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Groucho2005

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7038 on: August 27, 2018, 11:38:47 pm »
Stacking sounds like a good idea. Does the camera do it? I guess I don't need a motorized mount, if I stack images, if the software can align them.
The camera may have some stacking functionality but it's much better to use dedicated software. I use AutoStakkert for stacking (https://www.autostakkert.com/) and Registax (https://www.astronomie.be/registax/) for wavelet processing. There are plenty of tutorials out there, Google is your friend.

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7039 on: August 28, 2018, 06:16:15 am »
Yes I know but it is ridiculously priced either  :)
For that money I build my own semi manual P&P, a project I hope to start after my CNC machine is finished.

yeah if I hadn't been offered the one I was, I would have gone with something like this to start:
https://www.tindie.com/products/Abacomtech/ezpick-manual-pick-and-place-machine/
It's not much, but it keeps the vacuum tool more or less vertical and steadies your hand for placing. so it's the basics. Plus it generally keeps itself out of the way of the board.

Then add a few manual reel feeders like this:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-set-5-way-SMT-SMD-resistor-capacitor-reel-Feeder-for-DIY-Prototype-Pick-Place/281172131862

And some kind of lazy susan I can plop small parts boxes onto.
https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/40176460/

And that was basically my best alternative to what I got.

I think there's definitely room in the market right now for a simple and limited but still decent quality manual PnP (with $ and attention spent in the important areas like smoothness and ease of movement, and a simple easy component management system) that a good number of people would buy. even if it was the same price as the cheaper auto ones. Sometimes you just want a reasonable number of parts with relatively easy access, and a nice stable tool to manipulate them into place.

Imagine this, but with an auto rotating parts carousel instead of just 10 feeders. I think that would be well worth the $ they ask, if it's well built and reliable.
https://smtcaddy.com/collections/smt-caddy-systems/products/smt-caddy-starter-package

On the pure DIY side, there's some projects online you could combine to make something very cool. though a lot of the DIY designs that do proper X-Y rails seem to have physical design that surrounds the PCB more than I'd like...  still they are out there and documented so shouldn't be too hard to duplicate.
Also there's this, which looks great - an SMT parts sucker with pressurised blow-off for dropping the parts precisely.
https://www.element14.com/community/groups/open-source-hardware/blog/2016/11/07/building-a-smt-pick-and-place-buddy

The following users thanked this post: Kjelt

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7040 on: August 28, 2018, 06:58:18 am »
Thanks for the overview, I knew these machines some are pretty neat others a bit useless.
I will be building my own gear, I have no idea yet how it will involve but in my head it is something between an automatic P&P and manual P&P, something joystick and shortcut operated. Next project, first have to finish my CNC machine.  8)

Online gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #7041 on: August 28, 2018, 08:47:14 am »
Yet another package from China.  :)

- 5 packs of breadboard jumper wire

- 1 pack of 40-pin headers

- 2 triax cables

- stainless steel long rod screws

- 5 pcs PGA2320 stereo audio volume control ICs

- LTFLU and  hermetically sealed voltage divider

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7042 on: August 29, 2018, 05:22:12 am »
Some new 820µF/200V electrolytic caps.

Needed four to eight. Took ten because of the quantity discount.   :palm:
Summer is fading. I'm going to continue the repair of my HP 6114A (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-6114a-repair-(fault-regulation-seems-to-work-voltage-low-output-ripple)/)
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7043 on: August 29, 2018, 09:59:03 am »
Thanks for the overview, I knew these machines some are pretty neat others a bit useless.
I will be building my own gear, I have no idea yet how it will involve but in my head it is something between an automatic P&P and manual P&P, something joystick and shortcut operated. Next project, first have to finish my CNC machine.  8)

There's a video on youtube where someone adapted his CNC to be a PNP, with button and slider control of the axis movements and buttons for pickup and drop.
I think the problem with that, as well as many of the existing DIY machines (and the cheaper commercial ones) is that the PnP head can't move that far, and there's often also limitations to external access around the edges of the movement due to construction.... As a result, they can't access enough different parts.

If you have to make piles of parts on or around the PCB so you can then pick and place them onto footprints, I think the machine is very limited and is going to still have a lot of the fiddlyness of a full manual setup.

A carousel is annoying in some ways because you need to load compartments up with parts, and you lose orientation like you get from a reel or tube... but once they are in there, it gives you the ability to reach a lot of parts while only taking up a relatively small amount of space inside the range of the PnP head.

The modern Fritsch unit has an option you can buy called the Paternoster, which looks amazing.. would be very cool to DIY.. it's basically a desk-sized automated parts library. you have a bunch of boxes in it that are full of parts, and each row as 12(?) parts boxes in it, and it has lots of rows, so can store many hundreds of different parts... you can set things to bring up each row as you need it.
https://www.fritsch-smt.de/en/manual-pick-place/lm900/feeder/

The following users thanked this post: Kjelt

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7044 on: August 29, 2018, 10:18:43 am »
There's a video on youtube where someone adapted his CNC to be a PNP, with button and slider control of the axis movements and buttons for pickup and drop.
I think the problem with that, as well as many of the existing DIY machines (and the cheaper commercial ones) is that the PnP head can't move that far, and there's often also limitations to external access around the edges of the movement due to construction.... As a result, they can't access enough different parts.
If you have a link would appreciate it  :)

If you have to make piles of parts on or around the PCB so you can then pick and place them onto footprints, I think the machine is very limited and is going to still have a lot of the fiddlyness of a full manual setup.
Agree, I find the DIY solutions with the strips stuck somewhere a big mess and nice for one off but unhandable for small series (keep on sticking).

A carousel is annoying in some ways because you need to load compartments up with parts, and you lose orientation like you get from a reel or tube... but once they are in there, it gives you the ability to reach a lot of parts while only taking up a relatively small amount of space inside the range of the PnP head.
It takes up so much unused space in the middle, it looks great but not that space sufficient and there are limited amount of parts to be placed. You probably want one carousel per project but then what do these cost a piece  :scared: 

The modern Fritsch unit has an option you can buy called the Paternoster, which looks amazing.. would be very cool to DIY.. it's basically a desk-sized automated parts library.

Wow, wow, wow. Any idea what the price is ?
503 parts, let me think, resistors in the E12 range in three package sizes is only 216 boxes, that leaves 300 boxes for capacitors, jellybean parts and small ic's.
That is enough for me and most hobbieists  :)  Or put a second one besides it  :-DD
The challenge for DIY is the lid mechanism.
You can really tell the difference between the good ones and the bad ones (from Ebay are some really bad).
The lids tend to snap off after a dozen times or get kind of stuck.
If you make the mechanism smooth you don't even need the lids on each box.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7045 on: August 29, 2018, 05:30:06 pm »
Local seller advertised as "Tandy stuff" with an absolute bargain price for the lot in pristine condition with all manuals.
The 1400LT will be on the operation room as soon as I make room for it (the screen is sadly not working). The 102 is perfect, as well as the barcode reader and the printer. The tape recorders and the Modemphone are in unknown condition.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Bud, djos

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7046 on: August 29, 2018, 05:32:29 pm »
received some smd soldering practice boards
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7047 on: August 29, 2018, 05:37:41 pm »
That 102 look very much like what we used to call a Newbrain over here, but I doubt it is the same machine though.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7048 on: August 29, 2018, 06:13:53 pm »
Whoa!  That ModemPhone is sweet!  :-+

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7049 on: August 29, 2018, 06:21:05 pm »
That 102 look very much like what we used to call a Newbrain over here, but I doubt it is the same machine though.
This one?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grundy_NewBrain

Whoa!  That ModemPhone is sweet!  :-+
I found it amazing as well. I have never knew such thing existed. And the manual even has the schematics! I only hope it was not zapped by lightning - a common thing when modems were plugged to telephone lines 24/7.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf