Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754035 times)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #7150 on: September 10, 2018, 07:49:09 pm »
This weekend I came across an electronic heaven storage place. The guy cleared old electronics departments when the buildings were abandoned in the 80s and 90s.
He told me he just had to drive a big truck and they put everything in it, nothing was to be left.
He didn't have to pay anything, the alternative for the company was to pay a lot of money to a recycling firm to clean out the building. Good old times.
He sold most of it in the years that went by on fleamarkets and the sorts and actually he has no clue what is left in all the stored boxes. The majority is radio HF oriented which I do not find interesting.
The small parts like connectors, switches, relays etc. he has decently ordered for the fleamarket and asks a decent price for them.

I came there and asked for some specific items but never found them  :)
I spent four hours feeling like Indiana Jones in the big warehouse looking in all the boxes and coming home with much more than I had anticipated, caught at home by SWMBO which was less pleasant  ;)
Here is a picture of some of the stuff I bought, 4 different Weidmuller clamps in 100pcs/box.
Funny thing is I just ordered the thin plastick end isolators, and for the 20 pieces I paid more than 2 boxes of clamps.
Better used one of the clamps and removed its conductors  ;D

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #7151 on: September 11, 2018, 03:22:21 am »
Got my Tek 3014B this morning.  ;D

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #7152 on: September 11, 2018, 03:48:57 am »

Gotta learn reading Japanese ;).

Japanese is much easy than English!  :-DD

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #7153 on: September 11, 2018, 01:47:46 pm »

It looks much better after cleaning.  8)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7154 on: September 11, 2018, 03:38:13 pm »
Looking really good.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline kevinf

• Contributor
« Reply #7155 on: September 11, 2018, 07:18:51 pm »
In a spur of the moment decision I purchased all these faulty meters, I guess if I can make 2/3 good ones out of them I will break even and hopefully learn something along the way. I also have 2 X metrix mx67 testers which I purchased separately that I hope to make at least 1 good one from (I'm waiting on a transistor). It's a steep enough learning curve I've repaired dim displays and broken input sockets before but never down to component level (on multimeters). I've spent a bit of time researching online and I've an idea where to start but I won't be able to get my hands on them until at least the end of the month.

I have a couple of good meters, programmable power supply, Metcal soldering station and IPA ready to go so I'm not short of the correct gear, maybe just a bit of knowhow [emoji1]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 07:25:12 pm by kevinf »

Offline peteb2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7156 on: September 12, 2018, 05:25:20 am »
A couple of handfuls of 65,000mcd red colour LEDs to make a proper rear light 'special' for my ocean beach Off-roader i use to go surfcasting. I need to be seen a whole lot earlier out there way off in the distance in the thick haze of mist and spray by all the crazy other beach users who don't follow the safety rules...

https://www.vishay.com/docs/81892/vlcs5830.pdf

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7157 on: September 12, 2018, 07:19:14 am »
A couple of handfuls of 65,000mcd red colour LEDs to make a proper rear light 'special' for my ocean beach Off-roader i use to go surfcasting. I need to be seen a whole lot earlier out there way off in the distance in the thick haze of mist and spray by all the crazy other beach users who don't follow the safety rules...

https://www.vishay.com/docs/81892/vlcs5830.pdf
Muriwai beach I guess Pete. Another month or so will have the first runs of snapper arriving so we might bump into you up there. Champagne colored Surf I'll be in and not far up so if you see us there with a kite out do stop for a yarn.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7158 on: September 12, 2018, 07:40:39 am »
A supercap, because the device I'm repairing (Bose Wave Music System) had one that leaked its crap all over the PCB  :--

And some DigiSpark mini-arduino boards. Not that I need them, but they look like they could come in useful at some time for experimenting or creating some random signal and they are really cheap.

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7159 on: September 12, 2018, 09:09:46 am »
4 port POE single HDD DVR, a couple of IP dome cameras and a bullet cam for keeping an eye on the sheds a couple of hundy yards away. A couple of long pre-made LAN cables for the POE connections.
2 cameras up and running, one left to do.  :phew:

I've got my eyes on YOU !  :-DD

Anybody suggest a simple IP camera viewer SW for W10 and Chrome ?
These any good ?
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/ip%20camera%20picture

A twin 8W LED 230VAC spotlight, soffit mount, tomorrows job.

Bits for my good old MacEwans H3 1500 gph reciprocating water pump; conrod SE pin and bush. Input shaft/pinion assembly. Cost nearly as much as the DVR and cams but will be still going long after they've crapped out.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7160 on: September 12, 2018, 09:18:33 am »
I use YawCam for most camera viewing. Not full of fancy options, but does what you need.

https://www.yawcam.com/

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7161 on: September 12, 2018, 01:20:06 pm »
Got a bit of Nixie goodness.
A National VP-4541A Electronic Counter.

I just restored it, but I have no idea what I'll actually use it for........  ;D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7162 on: September 12, 2018, 01:22:38 pm »
Wow, that is beautiful, it looks as if you have just opened the box for the first time, job well done  :-+ :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7163 on: September 12, 2018, 04:57:59 pm »
That looks great, Terra! I'm sure you'll think of something. It'd be a shame not to use it for something on occasion (I wouldn't run it 24x7 for the sake of the Nixies).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline lordvader88

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7164 on: September 12, 2018, 05:00:59 pm »

Wow that screen looks nice and colorful for something with a floppy drive in it

Hmmm, it's modern tho, so what's the slot thing ?

I ordered 30values x 10pcs of 1/2W Zener diodes. I like to have stuff on hand, which reminds me I need NTC thermistors.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 05:05:03 pm by lordvader88 »

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #7165 on: September 12, 2018, 05:36:24 pm »

Hmmm, it's modern tho, so what's the slot thing ?

Do you mean the application module slot?

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7166 on: September 12, 2018, 06:29:10 pm »
Bought some parts that I fetched from customs today -after paying customs fee:

2x multimeter fuse 440mA
2x multimeter fuse 11A
10x precision resistor 100 Ohm 0.1% 10ppm
25x Vishay PTF56 resistor 5.315k Ohm 0.1% 5ppm 0.125W
5000x 100 Ohm 1% SMD-1206 resistors (1x full reel)
16000x 10k Ohm 1% SMD-1206 resistors (4x full reel of 4000)

Bought from *bay seller n2cbu -am fully satisfied and like his motto: "From my basement to yours: If you don t need it, I HAVE IT!!!"   :)

Some other items that arrived lately:
Some y-adapter power supply cords one plug to three IEC connectors.
I have to solve the problem having occupied 18 of 18 power outlets left for the lower three shelves of my workbench with even more Test Equipment needing power.    :palm:

Some cables and jacks for network and telephone. The Telekom will terminate my telephone/internet access contract because they're dismissing their ISDN-network (no spare parts available, obsolescence..) so I need to switch to VDSL (50MBit download rate with VoIP). The old crappy inhouse cabling of my flat is ok for ISDN (telephone) and 6MBit ADSL but not for modern VDSL. Consequence: I've got to get new inhouse cabling and new internet access router.   :-\

Kontaktchemie KONTAKT LR, PLASTIK 70, ISOPROPANOL KONTAKT IPA and IPA 70% and 99,9% (plus distilled water)- different cleaning fluids for cleaning my somewhat crusty 4338B.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:48:48 am by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7167 on: September 12, 2018, 08:08:32 pm »
I was a MiniDisc guy back in its day. I still have a MZ-N1 portable recorder in great condition, but I sold my deck many years ago. The N1 managed 50+ hours of battery life. Try that on an iPod.
I KNOW!!! Sony's efforts at long battery life (didn't they brand it "Stamina" or something) were amazingly successful. I remember one cassette Walkman they made in the 90s that could run 37h off a single AA alkaline. When the original iPod came out in 2001 with its 10h of playback on a charge, I remember thinking "Man, if only Apple could leverage Sony's power management expertise!". Or, like, let Apple design the enclosure and the software, and let Sony design the hardware innards.

And there is precedent for that: Apple's first battery-powered Mac was the awesomely quirky Mac Portable, which was a luggable whose weight was the same as a Mac SE desktop (just with a sealed lead-acid battery responsible for the weight instead of the CRT). Apple's first round of actual laptops was the 100 series. It comprised the PowerBook 140 and 170, which Apple designed entirely in-house, but also the smaller PowerBook 100, which was actually built by Sony, who was given the Mac Portable schematics and asked to make it little! (Though it was released at the same time, the PowerBook 100 was actually designed later than the bigger models, so its aesthetic is somewhat closer to later PowerBook models, like the Duo series.)

Of course, in the intervening 15+ years, Apple has improved its power management dramatically. But it's clear that the iPhone series was what really gave them the push they needed to invest in this.

The STR-DA4ES (or DA7ES) receiver may be suitable for your system. Two tape (in/out) loops plus two more video loops, so plenty of analog line-outputs for recording purposes. It has Control-A1II and Control-S jacks, and supports two-way remotes. It also has two multi-channel audio inputs (5.1 and 7.1) and 7.1 pre-amp outputs. It's becoming harder to find those these days. One downside is the use of SAP15N (and -P) transistors for amplifier output devices. These have a built in emitter resistor as well as temperature-compensated biasing circuitry, and they are no longer made. That makes repairs more difficult if ever necessary.
Cool, thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye out!!!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 08:10:03 pm by tooki »

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #7168 on: September 13, 2018, 04:06:58 pm »
Tektronix 2232. Near mint condition! Still need to take it through it's paces though.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #7169 on: September 14, 2018, 01:13:50 am »
sick Tek VM6000 (slash DPO7104)...  :-X
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7170 on: September 14, 2018, 09:33:20 am »
Are there hardware differences or is this 7104 with special software package?
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline R005T3r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7171 on: September 14, 2018, 12:58:48 pm »
I love this micromanipulator. It simplify your assembly work so much that you have to try it.  I got the ESD version...
You can also tilt the chips and stuff if you want!

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7172 on: September 14, 2018, 01:15:48 pm »
Wow, that is beautiful, it looks as if you have just opened the box for the first time, job well done  :-+ :-+

That looks great, Terra! I'm sure you'll think of something. It'd be a shame not to use it for something on occasion (I wouldn't run it 24x7 for the sake of the Nixies).

Ha, thanks!
I repainted the silver panel surround as it was a but ratty, and the iso-alcohol started stripping the paint..
That and the capacitor replacement kind of snowballed a bit. :D

The actual case has a few scuffs, but I'm not prepared to strip that back and repaint it just yet. ;D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7173 on: September 14, 2018, 02:19:57 pm »
I love this micromanipulator. It simplify your assembly work so much that you have to try it.

Can you show a bit more about the use? I thought a micromanipulator was something to interact with samples under a microscope... clearly that is not the only application?
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7174 on: September 14, 2018, 04:28:25 pm »
-Hipotronics generator, AC and DC, up to 40kVDC, neon lights and a big oil transformer inside.

-Racal Dana 20Mhz Log sweep generator, such a retro look

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf