Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754363 times)

TopQuark and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #7450 on: November 07, 2018, 12:42:19 am »
*snip
I look forward to more pictures.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7451 on: November 07, 2018, 02:21:16 pm »
The "bulbs" are Nixie tubes. They need around 170VDC to illuminate. Not for absolute beginners, but also not what most would consider very high voltage.

McBryce.
Yeah!
You might say $&@#%€£¥¥#####&&&@@@!!!, if you touch it, but it is normally not capable of enough current to do you any real damage.
I don't know why people are so scared of a bit of DC HT---back in the day, we wouldn't have learnt anything if we had that attitude.

Just don't put your fingers in the wrong places---- after all, you wouldn't put your fingers in front of a jigsaw, or touch a soldering iron tip "just to see what happens!"

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #7452 on: November 07, 2018, 05:48:17 pm »
The "bulbs" are Nixie tubes. They need around 170VDC to illuminate. Not for absolute beginners, but also not what most would consider very high voltage.

McBryce.
Yeah!
You might say $&@#%€£¥¥#####&&&@@@!!!, if you touch it, but it is normally not capable of enough current to do you any real damage.
I don't know why people are so scared of a bit of DC HT---back in the day, we wouldn't have learnt anything if we had that attitude.

Just don't put your fingers in the wrong places---- after all, you wouldn't put your fingers in front of a jigsaw, or touch a soldering iron tip "just to see what happens!"

It seems to me that people tend to be far too risk-averse these days.  I'm not advocating for wanton idiocy, but with a bit of knowledge and care, working on things with 170+ V rails carries little risk.  I started playing with old tube-type black and white TV sets at about eleven years old; they typically had B+ rails that were in the 300V neighborhood, along with 15-19kV CRT second anode supplies.  My knowledge about such things at that point came entirely from reading; no one in my family was into electronics.  (My father had a ham license and had done some shortwave stuff before I was born, but had no station or gear by the time I came along.)

I also remember old project books in the library in middle school that likely dated from the late 50s - early 60s (this was in the late 70s) that were all transformer powered vacuum tube projects.  Too many people today seem to think that anything over 12V is high voltage...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley, tooki, capt bullshot

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #7453 on: November 07, 2018, 07:41:53 pm »
No nixie stuff, alas.
But the long time wanted electronic load to complement the typical TE addicts bunch of power supplies.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 07:43:30 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7454 on: November 08, 2018, 01:58:07 am »
@Bullshot

It is an electronic load that blows hot air in your face, and has female "safety" input?  :palm: :-DD That is a real winner.

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7455 on: November 08, 2018, 03:04:07 am »
That fan looks to be a sucker, not a blower. :)
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: CJay

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7456 on: November 08, 2018, 03:33:35 am »
I bought one of those Kogan DC pedestal fans. I like how it has a very low minimum speed setting compared to the $10 cheapies I have from Bunnings.

At the lowest speed it only draws a couple of watts for a gentle breeze which is perfect for sleeping. The $10 fan draws 30W/36W/40W for low/med/high, so it might pay for itself if it lasts >10 years ahahah.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #7457 on: November 08, 2018, 06:59:38 am »
I decided to bite it and bought a YubiKey Neo authentication and cryptography module.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7458 on: November 08, 2018, 08:16:42 am »
I decided to bite it and bought a YubiKey Neo authentication and cryptography module.

What sort of things are you planning to use it with? General web service account login? Or computers you administer that are on the internet?

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #7459 on: November 08, 2018, 08:54:15 am »

What sort of things are you planning to use it with? General web service account login? Or computers you administer that are on the internet?
General Web services and PGP. Maybe also as login keys to my computer.

The following users thanked this post: julianhigginson

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #7460 on: November 08, 2018, 03:46:51 pm »
A FE-5680A rubidium reference clock, and fans, more and more fans!  ;D

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #7461 on: November 08, 2018, 03:52:19 pm »
On the fast track to time nut? I got my volt nut derailed after I bought my LM399's.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #7462 on: November 08, 2018, 04:02:29 pm »
On the fast track to time nut? I got my volt nut derailed after I bought my LM399's.

Now I think I need a GPSDO.  ;D

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #7463 on: November 08, 2018, 07:19:28 pm »

Now I think I need a GPSDO.  ;D
I already have a GPS-disciplined DS3231 TCXO on a Raspberry Pi set up to be my Stratum 1 NTP server inside my home network, and I have set up all my local computers (including the authentication server) to use that as the clock source. Usually I use GPS PPS as the synchronization pulse, but when GPS is flaky it switches to the DS3231.

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7464 on: November 08, 2018, 08:44:49 pm »
We use those at work.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #7465 on: November 08, 2018, 09:35:04 pm »
We use those at work.
I do know that a few companies do use those for work purposes.

Dow do you use them though?

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7466 on: November 09, 2018, 09:16:00 am »
We use those at work.

Same here. 2FA is required for all employees in my facility. The second factor could be a YubiKey, or could be a text message.

I have a pile of 2FA kit for use with various contracts I work on, it's quite common.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7467 on: November 09, 2018, 10:19:51 am »
HP 410C Voltmeter in mint condition with accessories.
One has to resort to 60s technology to have a meter with 100Mohm input impedance up to 1500V
Also for non-believers of the unique piece of technology this is, here is it measuring a 50Mhz sine amplitude, put out 500mVrms, measured 520mVrms

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 04:25:43 pm by MasterTech »

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #7468 on: November 09, 2018, 10:58:40 am »
We use those at work.

Same here. 2FA is required for all employees in my facility. The second factor could be a YubiKey, or could be a text message.

I have a pile of 2FA kit for use with various contracts I work on, it's quite common.
Can those be wiped and reused? YubiKey can be wiped of its contents and repurposed.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7469 on: November 09, 2018, 01:14:05 pm »
We use those at work.

Can those be wiped and reused? YubiKey can be wiped of its contents and repurposed.

I suspect not by the end user, there must be a way to get your 'secret' onto them and they must be registered somehow as they can be revoked but the back end is not something I have access to.

I have torn one down after it had been revoked but other than a set of programming contacts there's nothing that looks as convenient as the Yubi

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #7470 on: November 09, 2018, 03:39:53 pm »
We use those at work.

I suspect not by the end user, there must be a way to get your 'secret' onto them and they must be registered somehow as they can be revoked but the back end is not something I have access to.

I have torn one down after it had been revoked but other than a set of programming contacts there's nothing that looks as convenient as the Yubi
Depending on what technology they used, it might be reprogrammable. At least (if you can find the documentations and if it is Flash reprogrammable) it can be wiped of all data and programming and you can build your own crypto code into it.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7471 on: November 09, 2018, 07:39:38 pm »
One has to resort to 60s technology to have a meter with 100Mohm input impedance up to 1500V
Also for non-believers of the unique piece of technology this is, here is it measuring a 50Mhz sine amplitude, put out 500mVrms, measured 520mVrms

That's a beauty, especially getting all the accessories with it. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: PartialDischarge

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7472 on: November 09, 2018, 07:45:06 pm »
You can turn $3 stlinkv2 clones (or the Blue Pill dev boards) into a "gnuk", (similar to Yubikey) dongle.

We use those at work.

Depending on what technology they used, it might be reprogrammable. At least (if you can find the documentations and if it is Flash reprogrammable) it can be wiped of all data and programming and you can build your own crypto code into it.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

The following users thanked this post: julianhigginson

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #7473 on: November 09, 2018, 08:25:59 pm »

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7474 on: November 11, 2018, 12:49:29 pm »

That's a beauty, especially getting all the accessories with it. :-+

Just noticed a folded paper that was beneath the meter, can't believe they made each scale unique for each instrument, now I get why it is so accurate.
Tektronix and HP, the best companies ever to exist !

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 02:52:22 pm by MasterTech »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf